The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 7:47 pm

[ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Smash Flash Back Room Official Beta Tier List (1.0.2) 
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
What I'm saying about representation is that theorycrafting, even if it's the best we have, isn't super useful. If I have to compare two characters that seem roughly as good as each other, but one of them has a track record of being successful in competitive play and the other doesn't, I'd put the represented one higher. Especially when you consider that Fox, often considered one of Bomberman's worst matchups in v0.9b, is now one of the most-played and best characters.

I fully expect something similar to happen as to 9b, where once BBM gets reps he gets a much more solid place on the tier list. Until then, however, I'm not sure you can make an argument for BBM above where he is in the current meta.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:11 pm

MGN Username: Bedoop
Currently Playing: Rayman Origins
Waifu: CLEOD-BOT
Pichu S-Tier? :pikathinking:

Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:18 pm

MGN Username: Jobin
Currently Playing: FusionFall
Waifu: Sandbag
Bedoop wrote:

Pichu is P-Tier. :donkeykong: That's good and bad if you know what it actually means.

Main Man: :sora:
Side Chick: :sandbag:
Hoping for: [jojo reference]

Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:43 pm

MGN Username: MEGA12312
Currently Playing: MH3U SSF2
Waifu: My bed
Jobin wrote:
Bedoop wrote:

Pichu is P-Tier. :donkeykong: That's good and bad if you know what it actually means.

Kirbty K-tier? :pikathinking:

Wow they actually fixed Ness' throw. kinda

PICHU HYPEexcept not yet /:|

Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:56 pm

TheCodeSamurai wrote:
What I'm saying about representation is that theorycrafting, even if it's the best we have, isn't super useful. If I have to compare two characters that seem roughly as good as each other, but one of them has a track record of being successful in competitive play and the other doesn't, I'd put the represented one higher. Especially when you consider that Fox, often considered one of Bomberman's worst matchups in v0.9b, is now one of the most-played and best characters.

I fully expect something similar to happen as to 9b, where once BBM gets reps he gets a much more solid place on the tier list. Until then, however, I'm not sure you can make an argument for BBM above where he is in the current meta.

I get that, but what I'm speaking to moreso is that there a rather defined opinions of him coming from people who don't bother to play him. That hurts the validity of his position since it was determined by people who don't use him much at all.

Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:14 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: TSF|Cookies
Currently Playing: PM, Melee, Ultimate, Hollow Knight
^ Chibis placement in a nutshell

Shoutouts to Harr for this sick player card!

Join Chibi Nation, the 20CR Discord for all aspiring Chibi-Robo mains!

Click to expand thumbnail

Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:07 pm

MGN Username: Bedoop
Currently Playing: Rayman Origins
Waifu: CLEOD-BOT
TSF|Skylar wrote:

And Yoshi's
And also Kirby's
And Smash 4's Olimar, who the hell plays--
Luckilyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Yoshi is gettin' a juicy resprite (As well as a resprite of his Home Court, awwwwww yeah)
Smash 4 Olimar is getting some attention atleast
But Kirby's fresh outta luck, sorry myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy dude, maybe next patch :sandbag:

Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:12 pm

Currently Playing: SSF2, SSB, SSBM
Bedoop wrote:
TSF|Skylar wrote:

And Yoshi's
And also Kirby's
And Smash 4's Olimar, who the hell plays--
Luckilyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Yoshi is gettin' a juicy resprite (As well as a resprite of his Home Court, awwwwww yeah)
Smash 4 Olimar is getting some attention atleast
But Kirby's fresh outta luck, sorry myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy dude, maybe next patch :sandbag:

135, this is aimed at you most of all. ;)

Anyway,like I said, it was way to soon for this list since the patches aren't even over and we just got a new character. Its like what happened with smash 4's first tier list, along with the balance patches that don't make any sense for certain characters, like decreasing weight.

Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:22 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Jammy
TheCodeSamurai wrote:

This so much. It's impossible for us to play every character even if we wanted to, and when comparing characters, tourney results/known good players are probably gonna triumph over other aspects unless it's blatantly obvious that one char is better.

Imo BBM doesn't have anything blatantly amazing that would put him higher on the tier list, especially as he received mainly nerfs from 9b as far as I can tell, and nobody is out there making a name for themselves as a great BBM, so why would I rank him higher?

I'd like to stress again that this is a CURRENT META tier list, we're going as light on the theoretical stuff as possible.

Youtube         Twitch

<insert giant anime gif here>

Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:51 pm

I still don't get why pacman is SO high. He should certainly switch with :chibirobo: in general. pacman gets easily counterplayed by Opponents that know the matchup making pacman surprisingly easy to invalidate in general. pacman still has a horrendous grab game even with it being marginally better than Smash 4 due to its high end lag and lack of active frames. pacman also pretty much can't kill without overcommiting OR having to setup a lot which is hard in rushdown matchups. And pacman has horrendous matchups in general as he only wins against the bottom tiers and a couple of low tiers in general while losing to basically every mid tier character or higher outside of maybe :jigglypuff: in general. Kyoz did get a good upset at Gax saga and does place well, but he rarely goes to tournaments and there is a lack of other players. Like literally, list 2 other pacman players that are not Kyoz that are notable players of the yellow menace. pacman is the definition of matchup inexperience. He can be tricky for those that don't know the mu but he's a bad character if they know the matchup. And more top level players will learn the matchup more thanks to Kyoz which will render pacman as quite an inefficient and inconsistent tournament pick. Even kyoz himself admits pacman being a pretty bad character in general due to his flaws and for of course good reason. I'd like to see some counter arguments for my claim by the backroom regarding his placement, thanks.

Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:04 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
Pac-Man has Kyoz, M7 IIRC, and Masky as solid reps. Kyoz, of course, has achieved great success with the character.

How many characters even have 3 reps that place highly in tournaments? That's a really high bar. Pac-Man has a ton of meta development with room to grow, solid tourney results, and from what I've seen not terrible matchups. Again, who knows whether Pac-Man is actually amazing or terrible? What we can say is that in the current meta Pac-Man fits where he his.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:57 pm

Currently Playing: SSF2, Paladins, TF2, Skullgirls
Waifu: m'Lady Lyndis
Manta wrote:
TheCodeSamurai wrote:

I get that, but what I'm speaking to moreso is that there a rather defined opinions of him coming from people who don't bother to play him. That hurts the validity of his position since it was determined by people who don't use him much at all.

I play him... wait, I'm irrelevant so my opinions don't matter I guess

Secondaries:
:bomberman: ; :wario:

For Fun:
:chibirobo: ; :blackmage: ; :ichigo: ; Image ; :isaac: ; :jigglypuff:

Hopefuls:
Lyn(FE); Ike(FE); Zero(MM); Andy(AW); Gilgamesh(FF)

tmanex2013 made the wonderful lyn sprite I used for Image

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:37 am

TheCodeSamurai wrote:
Pac-Man has Kyoz, M7 IIRC, and Masky as solid reps. Kyoz, of course, has achieved great success with the character.

How many characters even have 3 reps that place highly in tournaments? That's a really high bar. Pac-Man has a ton of meta development with room to grow, solid tourney results, and from what I've seen not terrible matchups. Again, who knows whether Pac-Man is actually amazing or terrible? What we can say is that in the current meta Pac-Man fits where he his.

Miracle--7 doesn't really play Pac-Man he plays Pit and Masky doesn't really do much in the Pac-Man meta either.
But I guess I do see your argument regarding 3 notable players, they don't really need to place super high, but they need to at least progress something. Even bottom tiers like :yoshi: at least have a couple of notable players that are good with the green dinosaur, and even obscure characters like :chibirobo: have at least 3 people playing him that could count as notable, etc. And Pac-Man only really has 1 person that is relevant who happens to be Kyoz who is of course a god with pretty much anyone. And a lot of people also mentioned how his high placements in tournaments with pac-man were likely matchup inexperience as well. And again it isn't like Kyoz has done a lot of tournaments either in the future. Generally having 2-3 notable players (Doesn't even need that much tournament results but just need to demonstrate how great the character is) is generally pretty necessary especially if its just one god showing off the character.

But results aside, Pac-man pretty much struggles against anyone that knows the matchup which no one did at the time. But as the meta progresses and even at this state where everyone knows the matchup thanks to Kyoz, Pac-Man will simply drop down in viability and have main issues.

Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:21 am
BR Member

MGN Username: KarmaPilcrow
Currently Playing: the waiting game
Waifu: Furry trash.
I just want everyone to take a look at this.

That will be all.

Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:45 am

Currently Playing: SSF2, SSB, SSBM
Utah P. Teasdale (Harr) wrote:
I just want everyone to take a look at this.

[ Image ]

That will be all.

Uhh and what is this suppose to show?

Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:53 am
 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next