The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 3:33 am

[ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Black Mage MU Thread 

MGN Username: Corvid_Crow
Currently Playing: With nice hens out there...
I may as well post this now to get the ball rolling, If you want me to discuss any mu in particular i'll be willing to do so.
Comment and agree/disagree with whatever. I tried to use my experience for this in the most part, however there are matchups that ill need to look into further, like :chibirobo: and :link:

:blackmage: number is always first

Losing Matchups
Vs :zelda: (35-65) Black Mage just finds it really hard to beat out Zelda's wall, he gets punished extremely hard for every mistake you make, something you dont exactly share. Zelda also has a wide amount of kill options in this matchup compared to Black Mage, so nabbing the kill while trying to avoid losing a stock <100% is tough.
Vs :marth: (35-65) Marth can edgeguard you fairly well, and your punish game is hampered by his extremely quick aerials, to the point where it can be incredibly hard to rack up percent. Getting around his range in the first place is the hardest part of the matchup, but you have the potential to take very quick stocks if you take advantage of his linear recovery.
Vs :fox: (40-60) Fox completely outspeeds you, some of his best moves beat out your own, and he is one of the best at edgeguarding Black Mage. However you can capitalise extremely well at low and mid percents, and you really have no excuse for letting fox back on to the stage with your tools.
Vs :zerosuitsamus: (40-60) Another character who can punish you rather hard, while you dont have the same troubles as in the Zelda MU, She can kill you early. The key to beating ZSS lies in you winning neutral and gimping her.
Vs :bomberman: (45-55) Able to outcamp you as well as punish you harder. While BM has it very easy offstage in this matchup you'll find it hard to nab kills the way BBM does.
Vs :lloyd: (45-55) Lloyd can hit you with a barrage of attacks and inflict damage quickly, but his struggles at killing you as well as his linear recovery ensure this matchup is close.
Vs :megaman: (45-55) MM's movement options with Proto Shield and dash attack alone win him the neutral, BM has to focus on punishes and gimps to win this matchup.
Vs :metaknight: (45-55) MK's disjoint is long enough to cause some trouble, but BM can combo him quite well and kill him early, helping him out in spades.

Even Matchups
Vs :blackmage: (50-50) This ditto really isn't fun.
Vs :mario: (50-50) Mario can nab early kills with usmash and gimp you with cape, he doesnt have a hard time comboing you either as well as dominate neutral with relatively quick fireballs.
Vs :donkeykong: (50-50) A really volatile Matchup, DK can combo you very hard off of the simplest of mistakes but BM remedies this with his strong neutral and punish game against this specific character.
Vs :tails: (50-50) Both characters are even in terms of neutral, while Tails has the combo ability and kill confirms, Black Mage has the stage control and edgeguards.
Vs :pikachu: (50-50) Both characters have a punish game, with Pikachu being hard to gimp and extremely fast being a detriment, BM finds a way to win neutral with his stage control tools.
Vs :naruto: (50-50) Naruto's punish game is extremely hard on most characters, with BM being no exception. BM however absolutely destroys Naruto offstage and has various setups to kill him very early.
Vs :sheik: (50-50) Sheik can find it hard to get through BM's defensive wall, both characters punish each other hard but BM's stage control wins out. Avoid fair and you will be fine

Winning Matchups
Vs :goku: (55-45) Rather weird MU, characters are rather even in combo and kill potential, BM wins neutral however with his tools able to offset Ki Blasts. BM also gimps goku way easier.
Vs :kirby: (55-45) Kirby doesnt find this matchup too bad, he can rack up damage decently well vs BM and edgeguard hard. BM on the other hand can do this just as well, if not better.
Vs :link: (55-45) You can punish most of link's tools rather well, but he can find opportunities to inflict big damage on you with his combos, and he kills rather early too, so avoid moves like dtilt edgeguards, uair, and fair.
Vs :peach: (55-45) Peach's turnips can be a nuisance, and moves such as nair can interupt combos easily, BM can punish her decently well, and use her turnips against her in creative ways to inflict even more damage. Peach's light nature is what wins BM the matchup due to his kill options.
Vs :sora: (60-40) Sora's tools can give BM a hard time, especially if BM is in the air. The Mage's disjoint, punish game and kill potential in comparison win him the matchup.
Vs :chibirobo: (60-40) Chibi can fight you rather well, hit you hard and kill you just as hard. But being a fastfaller, he is extremely susceptible to BM's vertical combos, and edgeguards.
Vs :ichigo: (60-40) Ichigo can hit you very hard and kill you off of not many opportunities, however BM can chaingrab and combo Ichigo hard as well as edgeguard him well. Like Marth, be wary of his range.
Vs :samus: (60-40) Samus finds it hard to use missles or charge shot against BM. Your fair beats super missles and Meteor's explosion beats Charge Shot. You benifit greatly by her heavy but floaty nature as you can kill her with moves like usmash really early.
Vs :yoshi: (60-40) Yoshi has a good punish game against you, but he can struggle killing you with anything besides usmash. BM can combo him hard, and due to Haste, edgeguard him just as hard.
Vs :ness: (60-40) Ness can punish and kill you quick, but his setups to do so require him to win neutral, which he really shouldn't be doing in the first place. You punish him well for a floaty and edgeguard him hard.
Vs :captainfalcon: (65-35) Falcon can punish you hard, but you punish him harder with chaingrabs, juggles and early gimps. Coupled with your dominance in neutral Falcon has to take his chances very carefully, however this works in BM's favor due to his generally slower speed.
Vs :sonic: (65-35) This is similar to the Falcon MU, but Sonic can use his speed to get around you a little quicker. This doesn't offset the fact he has a harder time killing you than Falcon does.
Vs :jigglypuff: (65-35) A defensively played BM has little to worry about in neutral vs Jiggs. This is one of the few matchups where you get beat offstage so be wary.
Vs :wario: (70-30) Wario gets out-spaced, out-punished, and destroyed offstage. Let alone the fact that he finds it extremely tough in neutral due to BM's various disjoints.

:ichigo: :gameandwatch: :isaac: :bowser: :luigi: :lloyd: :chibirobo: :bomberman: :metaknight: :megaman: :donkeykong: :sonic: :samus: Image Image

Last edited by Corvid Crow on Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Mon May 16, 2016 3:40 am

Corvid Crow wrote:
Vs :wario: (75-35)

Ya made a mistake there btw. Anyways, it's nice to see more MU charts out there. Especially on a character with few notable players.

Why are anime characters in SSF2

Mon May 16, 2016 8:43 am

Black Mage's number is first

:zelda: 40-60
:marth: 40-60
:fox: 45-50
:zerosuitsamus: (?)
:bomberman: 40-60
:mario: 50-50
:lloyd: 50-50
:blackmage:
:donkeykong: 55-45
:megaman: 50-50
:metaknight: 50-50
:tails: 50-50
:pikachu: 50-50
:naruto: 45-55
:goku: 50-50
:sheik: 50-50
:kirby: 55-45
:link: 50-50
:peach: 55-45
:sora: 55-45
:chibirobo: 55-45
:ichigo: 55-45
:samus: 55-45
:yoshi: 55-45
:ness: 55-45
:captainfalcon: 55-45
:sonic: 60-40
:jigglypuff: 60-40
:wario: 70-30

Based on what I played

Subscribe to my channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvRau009BhLEGvBRrMTGcLA. I like to upload tournament replays, highlight videos, and other SSF2 content

Mon May 16, 2016 11:05 am

MGN Username: Jadeneck
Currently Playing: SSF2 , Overwatch
I agree with axe on sheik vs BM, seems pretty even to me or slightly in sheiks favor.

Mon May 16, 2016 3:13 pm

I'd like to see more of your opinion Axe, in terms of what you think of some of those matchups in detail.
Jadeneck wrote:
I agree with axe on sheik vs BM, seems pretty even to me or slightly in sheiks favor.

I'd want to know exactly why you'd think that, personally BM controls neutral rather well against Sheik despite how quick she is and can build up damage rather well against her, you have every opportunity to end as stock early against sheik through edgeguards, and a BM player shouldnt be finding himself too hard offstage against sheik's edgeguard tools.

:ichigo: :gameandwatch: :isaac: :bowser: :luigi: :lloyd: :chibirobo: :bomberman: :metaknight: :megaman: :donkeykong: :sonic: :samus: Image Image

Mon May 16, 2016 8:32 pm

:mario:

Tue May 17, 2016 4:36 pm

How is :mario: not even in matchups ik that he can get early kills but why is he not even in matchups

Tue May 17, 2016 4:38 pm

AxeEnding999 wrote:
Black Mage's number is first

:zelda: 40-60
:marth: 40-60
:fox: 45-50
:zerosuitsamus: (?)
:bomberman: 40-60
:mario: 50-50
:lloyd: 50-50
:blackmage:
:donkeykong: 55-45
:megaman: 50-50
:metaknight: 50-50
:tails: 50-50
:pikachu: 50-50
:naruto: 45-55
:goku: 50-50
:sheik: 50-50
:kirby: 55-45
:link: 50-50
:peach: 55-45
:sora: 55-45
:chibirobo: 55-45
:ichigo: 55-45
:samus: 55-45
:yoshi: 55-45
:ness: 55-45
:captainfalcon: 55-45
:sonic: 60-40
:jigglypuff: 60-40
:wario: 70-30
Mario should be 50-50
Based on what I played

Tue May 17, 2016 4:39 pm

When Beta come out Luigi will probably be even

Tue May 17, 2016 4:56 pm

sonicspeed91 wrote:
How is :mario: not even in matchups ik that he can get early kills but why is he not even in matchups

idk what you are talking about, i put him as 45-55, he slightly edges out bm in most things, wins neutral, can punish you just as hard as you can to him, he kills earlier and both characters have the same capability of gimping each other, especially due to warp being destroyed by Mario's cape.

sonicspeed91 wrote:
When Beta come out Luigi will probably be even

I honestly think Luigi's differences compared to Mario would affect him to do worse in the matchup, Luigi would have a bad time with the current BM zoning game and would lose the matchup imo.

But of course, BM is being changed for better or for worse in Beta, so its not the time to be sure of that just yet.

Also pls dont quadruple post like that, there is an edit button for a reason

Wed May 18, 2016 1:14 am
BR Member

MGN Username: CSWooly
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, SSF2, SSB4, League of Legends.
I agree with Corvid's placing on the Sora matchup.

Click to expand thumbnail

SSF2 Backroom Character Analyst and Labber

Mains: :lucario: :simon:

Wed May 18, 2016 1:20 am

I have agreed with Z and put Megaman instead having a a slight advantage over Black Mage.

He put into consideration Megaman's kill power and edgeguard game and I believe that tips the mu in his favor.

Wed May 18, 2016 5:29 pm

:mario: vs :sonic: 50-50

Wed May 18, 2016 7:11 pm

Waifu: Yume
lmao, holy s***.

Wed May 18, 2016 7:38 pm

sonicspeed91 wrote:
:mario: vs :sonic: 50-50

Dude this is a thread for BLACK MAGE. Not Mario or Sonic or a MU thread for all characters, just for this guy > :blackmage:

Thu May 19, 2016 1:22 am
 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next