The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 7:46 pm

[ 8 posts ] 
Why is Sonic so bad now? 

And very slow aswell isn't he supposed to be the fastest thing alive? tf

Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:23 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: CSWooly
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, SSF2, SSB4, League of Legends.
Wormsega wrote:

Hello, first of all. This would be better in the Sonic topic in character discussion.

Sonic is low on the tier list because he has poor range, which leads to him losing to characters above him as a lot of the better characters have disjointed hitboxes or long range. He also gets hurt by port priority, as his range doesn't give him much in matchups where port priority gives him a big advantage. Finally, one of Sonic's bigger issues is that his neutral is surprisingly weak, as he has somewhat slow attacks and very poor range on his faster attacks, and not really much in the way of reliable options to play. His punish game gets hurt by his over the top air acceleration meaning he can often overshoot attacks when he wants to combo into aerials, and his recovery is very linear and somewhat sub-par. His main strengths come from his kill throws, fast dash speed and decent kill throws, but other characters just beat him in other regards.

To quote the analysis I made in 1.0.2 which still applies:
"The problem with Sonic, is that he’s built like a hit and run character, but can’t play like it because his quick moves have very poor damage and his better moves are just too slow to be particularly safe. Most importantly though, the guy is too fast for his own good because every jump is a huge commitment and he doesn’t have the tools to be a good hit and run character."

Click to expand thumbnail

SSF2 Backroom Character Analyst and Labber

Mains: :lucario: :simon:

Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:08 pm

MGN Username: ASemih46
Currently Playing: SSF2 Beta , Minecraft , NFS Most Wanted
TSF.Strife wrote:
Wormsega wrote:

Hello, first of all. This would be better in the Sonic topic in character discussion.

Sonic is low on the tier list because he has poor range, which leads to him losing to characters above him as a lot of the better characters have disjointed hitboxes or long range. He also gets hurt by port priority, as his range doesn't give him much in matchups where port priority gives him a big advantage. Finally, one of Sonic's bigger issues is that his neutral is surprisingly weak, as he has somewhat slow attacks and very poor range on his faster attacks, and not really much in the way of reliable options to play. His punish game gets hurt by his over the top air acceleration meaning he can often overshoot attacks when he wants to combo into aerials, and his recovery is very linear and somewhat sub-par. His main strengths come from his kill throws, fast dash speed and decent kill throws, but other characters just beat him in other regards.

"The problem with Sonic, is that he’s built like a hit and run character, but can’t play like it because his quick moves have very poor damage and his better moves are just too slow to be particularly safe. Most importantly though, the guy is too fast for his own good because every jump is a huge commitment and he doesn’t have the tools to be a good hit and run character."

How many years have you been playing this game ? :oh:

I think you're playing a long time...

I wanna see this updates in the SSF2 : Smash Ball, Lucas , Shadow , Ganondorf

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:08 am
BR Member

MGN Username: CSWooly
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, SSF2, SSB4, League of Legends.
ASemih wrote:
How many years have you been playing this game ? :oh:

I think you're playing a long time...

Not too relevant to the topic, but I started properly playing just before 9a came out. I'd dabbled briefly beforehand. Call it 4 years.

SSF2 Backroom Character Analyst and Labber

Mains: :lucario: :simon:

Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:50 am

MGN Username: Zalozis Zemsis
Currently Playing: Gundam Wing: Endless Dual | Melty Blood: Actress Again Current Code | Super Smash Bros. Brawl
TSF.Strife wrote:
Yeah, that's mostly it. It's very weird how Sonic has gotten the short-end of the stick again. He's in the same speed class as Falcon and Fox, but has way slower moves, weaker kill options, and less confirms into kill moves; on top of having a shorter physically range than both of them. He's not so drastically good in speed, or any area for that matter to warren poor kill-power and lack of combo routes into kills. It's a shame because he's fun and it's mostly frame-data at the moment that keeping his potential from shining.

Luigi Movement, Cancel, Tech, etc.
YouTube Video:
SSF2 Google Drive
". . . Emphasis . . . of players helping one-another"

Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:56 pm

MGN Username: Sonario
Currently Playing: games probably
Waifu: Speedwagon
I agree, Sonic's wayyyyy too slow in both movement and frame data. He's supposed to be the fastest dangit! In fact, the only actually fast move he has is nair. Also ftilt is really heckin slow and I keep getting stuck in ftilt loops when I'm trying to fsmash. It sucks.

Flash Card: show

My thanks to Utah P. Teasdale (Harr) for the amazing Flash Card.

Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:26 am

MGN Username: -CJ-
Currently Playing: Risk of Rain, Toribash, and of course SSF2
Waifu: Sandwiches
Sonario wrote:
I keep getting stuck in ftilt loops when I'm trying to fsmash.

unfortunately, this is your fault for not using C-stick, :xd: it's the same across all characters.

To all you Luigi mains (and others), come on over to Luigi's Mansion! The FA official Luigi discord: https://discord.gg/3hp8e9a

The Filthy Casuals crew discord: https://discord.gg/dVxVham
^A crew all about improvement and growth, I host tournaments at least once a month in this server^.

Speaking of tournaments! ->: https://forums.mcleodgaming.com/viewtop ... 29&t=46713

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:22 pm

MGN Username: Sonario
Currently Playing: games probably
Waifu: Speedwagon
C buttons are kinda hard to reach on my keyboard controls. I have to move my hand away from movement and attack just to use them and there's no nearby free buttons in my mapping. I'm not using this as an excuse so you can't really call this a John. It's just a nuisance.

You sure it's not a frame data problem? I've tested the input times with all other characters in Training, only Sonic has this problem. Apparently you have to move forward sliiightly before you press the attack button to fsmash as him but all others you can press them both at once with no issue.

Flash Card: show

My thanks to Utah P. Teasdale (Harr) for the amazing Flash Card.

Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:52 am
 [ 8 posts ]