The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 11:39 pm

[ 447 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 30  Next
McLeodGaming Mafia IV [Layton] 

Currently Playing: Awesomenauts, SSBB, Project M
Sorry for inactivity. I'm still vacationing in Florida.

As for now, my guess for the possible third party person is a shooter. However, I can't be sure until tomorrow. What will most likely happen if I'm correct is that two people will die, one from third party and one from mafia.

Nothing here I can do but wait until tonight. No one is really suspicious to me at this point. I guess the best I can do now is vote for a No Lynch.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:22 am

Currently Playing: Fable III
Tid wrote:
Something else has just occurred to me which I feel we've overlooked. Fly or Die? Why is it you feel that "the only real third-party threat is a cultist."?
What leads you to that conclusion? I also ask the same of Gold's assumption that we have a vig equivalent on our side.

There aren't many third party roles I'm familiar with that pose real threats to village. A lone killer has very little chance of winning, and amnesiac could just go either way. Fool also has a difficult time winning, as does lyncher. Traitor's win really depends on luck. That leaves cultists. Assuming the cult survives more than one night and there aren't any masons, the cult can spread very quickly and be hard to deal with.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:32 am

MGN Username: masterp443
Currently Playing: v0.9b
I'm switching my vote to No lynch. As of now, there's no real scummish behavior.
I completely agree that there are at the most 2 mafia. However, a third party killing role would upset the entire mafia faction. The mafia only knows who isn't mafia, so if there was a serial killer, he could target the mafia, successfully pick one off, leaving a lone mafia member out to dry. That would be too town/third party sided.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:47 am

Panthera leo wrote:
I'm switching my vote to No lynch. As of now, there's no real scummish behavior.
I completely agree that there are at the most 2 mafia. However, a third party killing role would upset the entire mafia faction. The mafia only knows who isn't mafia, so if there was a serial killer, he could target the mafia, successfully pick one off, leaving a lone mafia member out to dry. That would be too town/third party sided.

Wait, if we somehow kill all of the mafia with the third party still alive, will the third party be with the town or by himself?

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:07 am

I don't know how 194 wants to do it, but on EM, the third party role would joint win with the town.
It's up to 194 to confirm.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:08 am

Currently Playing: Fire Emblem (6-9), Shadow Dragon, Infamous, SSB, GNT4
I've been researching some Layton antagonists (which are most likely our mafia/third party members). If the role a person has is associted with the behaviors and abilities of characters in the series, I believe it's safe to say that one of the mafia roles is Godfather.

http://layton.wikia.com/wiki/Don_Paolo

I've been having a bit of trouble with determining what other roles other antagonistic characters may have through these methods, though. I believe this day could be used to predict what mafia roles there are. These predictions can then be confirmed or denied by actions taken during the night phase.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:51 am

What other roles could you deduce from that? I used the wiki for help, but it's pretty hard to decipher. Perhaps we can start theorizing from that.

The godfather will most likely claim to be a weak-ish townie (doctor, investigator), so we can have some leverage if said circumstances occur.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:57 am

I really don't like the no lynching option because lynching is the only way to get rid of mafia(unless we have a vigilante.) and people tend to overlook this fact. Even if we have a 33% chance of hitting a non townie it's better then sitting and waiting to get killed at night. However if we do hit a townie then we would be in big trouble so I can see why people would are afraid to lynch on the first day so No lynch.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:09 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Savvy, eh?
Currently Playing: Savvy's Art Academy
There is at least one other possible arrangement of the non-town roles that we have not considered yet. Namely, two mafias of two members each. It may not be the most common scenario, but since there hasn't been any clear indication that we are only dealing with one mafia group, it is something that bears consideration while we hunt for scum.

As for the questions:
1. What's your experience with Mafia games? (Where you've played them, online, IRL, EM)
I have played a few games in real life, as well as participating in the first two McleodGaming mafias and hosting the third.

2. What's your favorite alignment? (Town sided, Mafia sided, or independent)
I have ended up playing as scum in most of my real life mafia experiences, as well as in one of the games I participated in here. Thus, I don't have as much experience as I would like playing as town or third-party and find myself unable to make a fair judgement. I like being scum for many of the same reasons that Tid mentioned, such as the added secrecy, the challenge of making oneself appear innocent to the town and knowledge of who is on your side.

3. What's your favorite role? (Basic Townie, Godfather, Jester, etc.)
Tis a tough one. The only roles that I have had a chance to try my hand at are goon, head mason and vanilla townie. I think the amnesiac, cultist, poisoner, dream sender, flavor cop and insane cop roles would be fun to try.

Also, am I the only one getting a scum vibe from Believeblood's last post?
Believeblood wrote:
I really don't like the no lynching option because lynching is the only way to get rid of mafia(unless we have a vigilante.) and people tend to overlook this fact. Even if we have a 33% chance of hitting a non townie it's better then sitting and waiting to get killed at night. However if we do hit a townie then we would be in big trouble so I can see why people would are afraid to lynch on the first day so No lynch.

It seems to me that in the first part of his post, he is making a seemingly sensible, town-sided argument for a random lynch, which would more likely than not end up being beneficial to the mafia. Then, in the last sentence, he tries to cover himself by agreeing with the general no lynch sentiment, in order that he may not be blamed for an unsuccessful random lynch. Maybe I'm just reading too much into a poorly formed thought, but it is worth looking into.

The other thing worth noting is that unlike the last game, this is a role-reveal setup. This could be used as an argument in favor of random lynching. However, it doesn't change the logistics of it. There is still a 66% percent chance of hitting one of our own, and even if we do learn the unfortunate victim's role, we won't be better off for knowing what we don't have anymore.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:38 pm

Brikmaethor wrote:
There is at least one other possible arrangement of the non-town roles that we have not considered yet. Namely, two mafias of two members each. It may not be the most common scenario, but since there hasn't been any clear indication that we are only dealing with one mafia group, it is something that bears consideration while we hunt for scum.

As for the questions:
1. What's your experience with Mafia games? (Where you've played them, online, IRL, EM)
I have played a few games in real life, as well as participating in the first two McleodGaming mafias and hosting the third.

2. What's your favorite alignment? (Town sided, Mafia sided, or independent)
I have ended up playing as scum in most of my real life mafia experiences, as well as in one of the games I participated in here. Thus, I don't have as much experience as I would like playing as town or third-party and find myself unable to make a fair judgement. I like being scum for many of the same reasons that Tid mentioned, such as the added secrecy, the challenge of making oneself appear innocent to the town and knowledge of who is on your side.

3. What's your favorite role? (Basic Townie, Godfather, Jester, etc.)
Tis a tough one. The only roles that I have had a chance to try my hand at are goon, head mason and vanilla townie. I think the amnesiac, cultist, poisoner, dream sender, flavor cop and insane cop roles would be fun to try.

Also, am I the only one getting a scum vibe from Believeblood's last post?
Believeblood wrote:

It seems to me that in the first part of his post, he is making a seemingly sensible, town-sided argument for a random lynch, which would more likely than not end up being beneficial to the mafia. Then, in the last sentence, he tries to cover himself by agreeing with the general no lynch sentiment, in order that he may not be blamed for an unsuccessful random lynch. Maybe I'm just reading too much into a poorly formed thought, but it is worth looking into.

The other thing worth noting is that unlike the last game, this is a role-reveal setup. This could be used as an argument in favor of random lynching. However, it doesn't change the logistics of it. There is still a 66% percent chance of hitting one of our own, and even if we do learn the unfortunate victim's role, we won't be better off for knowing what we don't have anymore.

The only reason I voted for no lych is because I know(from past experiences) that if you support random lynching on the first day when there is a no lynching option, people are gonna accuse you of being mafia. I could try to explain why random lynching on the first day isn't so bad, but I can see that some people here won't exactly listen to me (in fact it could make me look worse)so fighting against them would be like holding a gun to my head. Just trying not to look scummy, but looking at your last comment it seems I've failed.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:47 pm

Currently Playing: Fable III
That makes it sound like you're doing your best to not seem scummy. I just get the feeling that a village-sided role would worry more about scum-hunting then CLEARING THEMSELVES. Explain?

Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:40 pm

Fly or Die wrote:
That makes it sound like you're doing your best to not seem scummy. I just get the feeling that a village-sided role would worry more about scum-hunting then CLEARING THEMSELVES. Explain?

That true, but wouldn't they also want to survive to?

Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:48 pm

@Believeblood:
I've learned it the hard way in mafia games that you should not state outright that you're trying to survive day to day. People automatically write it off as scum. I don't think that you're being scummy right now, because you're making the same mistake I've made when playing mafia games. You're off my radar for now.

@FoD:
He clearly explained why he wanted to clear himself from saying "The only reason I voted for no [lynch] is because I know (from past experiences) that if you support random lynching on the first day when there is a no lynching option, people are gonna accuse you of being mafia." He's not worried too much about the scum hunt because face it: There is nothing scummy atm. The only scum accusations so far were against him, so (ASSUMING HE ISN'T SCUM) he wouldn't be scumhunting at all.

@Myself:
1. Played mainly on EM, played forum mafias before, and spectated lots of mafia games.
2. Favorite alignment is independent/third party, because of the skill needed to pull off a lone victory. For the most part, third party roles are usually singular (cult and masonry are exceptions), so you have to survive mafia kills and town lynches, along with other killing roles after you.
3. Fool. Fool wins are so satisfying.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:29 pm

1. I've only played two mafia games, and they are in this forum. Not much experience, but I've learned from experts like Brik and Tid.

2. Town-sided. I like being the good side. It's less pressure.

3. I guess the investigative role. Personally, it is best to find out who is what, as it helps my team. Although, for some reason, I can't think of what to do but reveal my role to give evidence. I've only played two games.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:37 pm

MGN Username: Pach
Believeblood wrote:
Fly or Die wrote:

That true, but wouldn't they also want to survive to?

The goal of the game isn't to survive (with the exception of survivor). The goal of the game is to do whatever you can to help your team win.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:38 pm
 [ 447 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 30  Next