The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 5:08 am

[ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
New Webcomic By Yours Truly (Episode 1 Is Out!) 

Currently Playing: stuff. loud stuff.
The lack of update makes Luna sad.
):

Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:15 pm

Luna wrote:
The lack of update makes Luna sad.
):

There will be one eventually. I'm working on a bunch of other projects right now, so it'll be a little while. I'll update soon enough, though, and, if not with a new episode, then with something relating to the series.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:59 pm

It seems that, in the midst of such a supposedly excellent attempt at this "webcomicing", nobody has bothered to look for the flaws contained so blatantly within. Thus, I have decided to make an in-depth review of your comics so far. I would suggest you avoid reading further than this paragraph if you are not mentally prepared for harsh criticism, as you will not be able to extract any sort of benefit from this post otherwise.

For general convenience, I will review each episode separately, then provide a summary of their flaws at the end. An analysis can only be as long as what it is based on; I must request you appreciate the length of what I am able to write, as my limits are defined by your work.

I'd like to start off with the first thing that caught my eye: the writing. It's absolutely atrocious. None of it even remotely fits the characters in question (THEN LET'S DANCE); even if it did, it doesn't flow from panel to panel at all. It's as if you didn't think a word of it out at all, a problem that persists throughout all three episodes. It's something I'd expect to come out of an adolescent child, really. Moving on to the setting, the first few panels evoke a few questions right away. Why are Metaknight and Ganondorf in a city? How does Metaknight know Ganondorf is hiding somewhere nearby? Most importantly, why are they fighting? There are no answers to be found, as there is no.. foreplay to the fighting; it's just mindless combat. I'd also like to point out your terrible selection of sprites. I'm no expert, but I don't think Metaknight is always posed for a fight. How would he get around? I shouldn't have to point out your mistake of zooming in on sprites, but you did it anyway so apparently I do. Furthermore, is it just me, or is Ganondorf's sword copy-pasted into his hand? It's either that or a shoddy sprite sheet.

Episode two is the worst of the trilogy, in my educated opinion. All flaws presented in episode one carry over with an uncanny finesse; bad writing, pointless combat, and a multitude of terrible sprite choices. I'll just skip to the point here: What the f*** is up with Bomberman? Why is he making noises like he's vibrating or something?? Why is he in this city helping Metaknight anyway?? Jesus, he's angry. Saying any more than I have would just be restating points from the former episode, so let us move on.

In episode three, flaws persist, the writing is unfit for the characters in use, etc. I believe the point of fan fiction is to make up a story while preserving the chosen character's personality; you've failed in this regard. Sonic has no apparent motive for obtaining the Master Emerald, though I most would believe Eggman gets off on harassing Sonic. Wario is like a statue depicting a flexing behemoth for all of three panels, at which the episode abruptly ends with a collective "Nooo..." from reader and character alike. The shoddiest episode, perhaps, but not the worst.

In summary, it needs a lot of work. All of it is crude, as if you gave no thought to the lines, much less the poses. None of the writing matches the personalities of the characters, though the writing would be terrible regardless of fit. I'll give you the same advice I give everybody else: put actual effort into what you do; soon it will flourish with beauty and grace. I have no idea why anybody likes this comic in the state it's in, really.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:22 pm

Waifu: I'm married
No one likes a thinker, Kyzak

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:31 pm
YIM WWW

It is my blessing and my burden.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:40 pm

Kyzak wrote:
It seems that, in the midst of such a supposedly excellent attempt at this "webcomicing", nobody has bothered to look for the flaws contained so blatantly within. Thus, I have decided to make an in-depth review of your comics so far. I would suggest you avoid reading further than this paragraph if you are not mentally prepared for harsh criticism, as you will not be able to extract any sort of benefit from this post otherwise.

For general convenience, I will review each episode separately, then provide a summary of their flaws at the end. An analysis can only be as long as what it is based on; I must request you appreciate the length of what I am able to write, as my limits are defined by your work.

I'd like to start off with the first thing that caught my eye: the writing. It's absolutely atrocious. None of it even remotely fits the characters in question (THEN LET'S DANCE); even if it did, it doesn't flow from panel to panel at all. It's as if you didn't think a word of it out at all, a problem that persists throughout all three episodes. It's something I'd expect to come out of an adolescent child, really. Moving on to the setting, the first few panels evoke a few questions right away. Why are Metaknight and Ganondorf in a city? How does Metaknight know Ganondorf is hiding somewhere nearby? Most importantly, why are they fighting? There are no answers to be found, as there is no.. foreplay to the fighting; it's just mindless combat. I'd also like to point out your terrible selection of sprites. I'm no expert, but I don't think Metaknight is always posed for a fight. How would he get around? I shouldn't have to point out your mistake of zooming in on sprites, but you did it anyway so apparently I do. Furthermore, is it just me, or is Ganondorf's sword copy-pasted into his hand? It's either that or a shoddy sprite sheet.

Episode two is the worst of the trilogy, in my educated opinion. All flaws presented in episode one carry over with an uncanny finesse; bad writing, pointless combat, and a multitude of terrible sprite choices. I'll just skip to the point here: What the f#%$& is up with Bomberman? Why is he making noises like he's vibrating or something?? Why is he in this city helping Metaknight anyway?? Jesus, he's angry. Saying any more than I have would just be restating points from the former episode, so let us move on.

In episode three, flaws persist, the writing is unfit for the characters in use, etc. I believe the point of fan fiction is to make up a story while preserving the chosen character's personality; you've failed in this regard. Sonic has no apparent motive for obtaining the Master Emerald, though I most would believe Eggman gets off on harassing Sonic. Wario is like a statue depicting a flexing behemoth for all of three panels, at which the episode abruptly ends with a collective "Nooo..." from reader and character alike. The shoddiest episode, perhaps, but not the worst.

In summary, it needs a lot of work. All of it is crude, as if you gave no thought to the lines, much less the poses. None of the writing matches the personalities of the characters, though the writing would be terrible regardless of fit. I'll give you the same advice I give everybody else: put actual effort into what you do; soon it will flourish with beauty and grace. I have no idea why anybody likes this comic in the state it's in, really.

Well, it's harder to write dialogue for a webcomic that you can only fit into a certain area of a panel. I've finished writing a forty chapter or so fan fiction recently, and it would be a lot easier to put this in fan fiction form so that it would be more descriptive and all that, but I'm choosing to make it a webcomic. Also, the answer to your questions about the first episode will be answered soon. With my and many other fan fiction and webcomics, you're not really sure what's going on until it's explained shortly after. It builds up suspense and adds a mysterious theme to the story. And of course Meta Knight isn't always posed for a fight, it's a comic. That means that the characters are supposed to be in certain poses at certain times, considering that it's not described to you in writing or animated. Yes, the close-ups did look a bit strange, I agree with you on that one. If it was a flash movie or something, it would probably look a lot better and make a little more sense. Also, would you quit calling me a child? It's annoying, and I would prove you wrong but I don't want to reveal my age.

As for the second episode, I get what you're saying. I wasn't sure if Bomberman was a speaking character or not, considering that the only times I've seen him speak were in those German Club Nintendo comics, so I made him like Mario. He doesn't have any speaking lines, but he can shout and exclaim and all of that, as Mario does. And, again, you'll see why. I'd tell you now, but I wouldn't want to spoil anything for the rest of us.

In episode three, I agree that some of the dialogue was a little unfitting. My bad. And, for the third time, you will see why all of this is happening in future episodes. I do agree with you, however, that the ending was a bit cheesy. I should've made Knuckles & Tails have a better entrance. I might redo that episode in the future.

Anyway, thanks for the criticism. (Though I do put a lot of effort into everything I do. You should see my fan fiction. You wouldn't believe it.) I'll try to fix those things in the future so that, hopefully, the quality and feel of the comic will improve.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:31 pm

Currently Playing: SSF2, M.U.G.E.N, Pokemon Type Wild,
wow cool. you've encouraged me to make my own comic thanks. real awsome comic REALY!!!!!!! but i wish it could be longer

Watch the soon to be best gaming channel on Youtube, Infinite Lives. We make videos that range from LetsPlays, to Sprite Animations, so don't worry, it isn't the same thing.

Youtube Link: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLS7V2DO912FW7LFY7pzJnw
Facebook Link:
Twitter Link:

Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:46 pm

YoshiEgg wrote:
And of course Meta Knight isn't always posed for a fight, it's a comic.

I think you missed my point. I was insinuating your choice of sprite in the first few panels of the first strip made him look as if he was posed for battle.

YoshiEgg wrote:
Also, would you quit calling me a child? It's annoying, and I would prove you wrong but I don't want to reveal my age.

i will send you a pm about this soon because you clearly do not understand how the system works

YoshiEgg wrote:
With my and many other fan fiction and webcomics, you're not really sure what's going on until it's explained shortly after. It builds up suspense and adds a mysterious theme to the story.

I am by no means an expert at comics and writing, but I think you are supposed to lay down the motive for battle before people start fighting, not after. Furthermore, I consider combat to be mere filler during the blander parts of the story itself. Action is a very swift fix to these things. All you seem to be going for is this filler, which is why I pointed it out in the first place.

YoshiEgg wrote:
(Though I do put a lot of effort into everything I do. You should see my fan fiction. You wouldn't believe it.)

I highly doubt your skills are equal to what you tell me they are. Additionally, I take this addendum as a challenge. I will read your very best as soon as I am provided a means of reaching it.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:52 pm

As much as i want to tell Kyzak to shut up and stop b**** on his comics, i think hes got some point at the battle scenes. This comic feels a little random because theres not much storyline and we don't know why they are fighting and such...

Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:59 pm
Legendary Ghost

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XI, Left 4 Dead 2
Gyiiro wrote:
As much as i want to tell Kyzak to shut up and stop b**** on his comics, i think hes got some point at the battle scenes. This comic feels a little random because theres not much storyline and we don't know why they are fighting and such...
Shut up and stop b****. Kyzak's being fair and offering advice. If you can't even see that and call every kind of critique 'b****', please shut the hell up and never get anywhere near any form of communication again.

"Jesus promised the end of all wicked people. Odin promised the end of all ice giants. I don't see many ice giants around."

Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:22 am

Hakker wrote:
Gyiiro wrote:
Shut up and stop b****. Kyzak's being fair and offering advice. If you can't even see that and call every kind of critique 'b****', please shut the hell up and never get anywhere near any form of communication again.

I just said Kyzak is correct at one point of his critique
What? I can't agree?

Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:08 am

Quote:
i will send you a pm about this soon because you clearly do not understand how the system works

Well, the system is stupid. I'm in a really bad mood today, but I won't get too angry about something as ignorant as this. Stop calling me a child. It's pretty simple.

Quote:
I am by no means an expert at comics and writing, but I think you are supposed to lay down the motive for battle before people start fighting, not after.

Not the way I do it, which most people seem to like.

Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:27 pm
Site Moderator

Well, I think the comics are perfect.

Jin wrote:
I support the bombing of Israel.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:10 am

Currently Playing: SC2, SSBB (4168-0287-1402)
Gyiiro wrote:
Hakker wrote:
Gyiiro wrote:
As much as i want to tell Kyzak to shut up and stop b$%&# on his comics, i think hes got some point at the battle scenes. This comic feels a little random because theres not much storyline and we don't know why they are fighting and such...
Shut up and stop b$%&#. Kyzak's being fair and offering advice. If you can't even see that and call every kind of critique 'b$%&#', please shut the hell up and never get anywhere near any form of communication again.

I just said Kyzak is correct at one point of his critique
What? I can't agree?

Gyiiro wrote:
As much as i want to tell Kyzak to shut up and stop b$%&# on his comics, i think hes got some point at the battle scenes. This comic feels a little random because theres not much storyline and we don't know why they are fighting and such...

Gyiiro wrote:
Kyzak to shut up and stop b$%&# on his comics

Gyiiro wrote:
shut up and stop b$%&# on his comics

Adopted by Shounic

Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:42 pm

Quote:
As much as i want to tell Kyzak to shut up and stop b$%&# on his comics, i think hes got some point at the battle scenes.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:40 pm
 [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next