The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 2:54 pm

[ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next
Mega Man 

Location: ...Beneath the high tide centrifuse covered and hidden under the bermuda complex
Currently Playing: with my ****
LOL if a move can summon a disjointed hitbox about 1 and a half character spaces away without the animation for the move even beginning as you're in neutral.... It needs a nerf.

GM

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:48 am
Site Admin

MGN Username: [TSON]
Currently Playing: with myself
MM has lots of kill moves, potent combo moves, and more projectiles than any character in the game.

Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:06 pm

Could anyone please give a Mega Man rundown(combos, tips on zoning, how to approach and work that into a combo)?

What people seem to disagree on is: should he have weak recovery/strong power, or should he be more balanced out? Right now it sounds kinda janky to me, and could give him some unfair matchups on either side.

Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:33 am
BR Member

He should have weak recovery/ strong power.

But its kind of disproportional atm

Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:27 am
BR Member

MGN Username: joey
Currently Playing: joey
Waifu: joey
pizzapress wrote:
Could anyone please give a Mega Man rundown(combos, tips on zoning, how to approach and work that into a combo)?

What people seem to disagree on is: should he have weak recovery/strong power, or should he be more balanced out? Right now it sounds kinda janky to me, and could give him some unfair matchups on either side.

Your main combo options is utilizing his aerials (best are his nair and fair). Once you get the hang of how to combo with his aerials, you can extend them by using UpB and canceling UpB with another aerial. And for approaching, you have to find different ways to make use of his 5 Dspecs and use his Side B. of course you can also Dash dance to mixup your approaches for mind games.

Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:29 am

Currently Playing: Patty-cake
pizzapress wrote:

I got you.

If you're seriously considering mastering MM you have to first understand this characters strengths and weaknesses.

MM's strengths
    has a versatile assortment of projectiles,
    good KO power on quite a few of his moves,
    is a heavy character and therefor pretty hard to kill (outside his recovery flaw),
    great recovery game (again outside his recovery flaw),
    decent combo ability (although not as great as the majority of the cast),
    good roll/dodge, can easily reflect projectiles (and Naruto clones lying on the ground but you didn't hear it for me),
    decent edgeguarding game,
    good anti-air game,
    and good anti-camp game.

MM's weaknesses
    he is fairly slow compared to the rest of the cast in both mobility and attack speed (as you will see for yourself)
    he is very susceptible to combos,
    have somewhat awkward kill moves,
    moves that are either easy to "beat to the punch" or fairly punishable,
    weak against heavy pressure put on by opponents,
    easy to juggle,
    basically defenseless during his recovery,
    and, of coarse, the "one hit death sentence" flaw in his recovery.

MM has some terrible match ups against opponents who are fast in mobility and/or attack, are combo machines,and has insane priority in their attacks. Some of the other characters that MM has notable trouble against are Fox, ZSS, MK, Tails, Ness, Sora, and Sonic. Although, oddly enough, he doesn't have too hard of a time against Marth's, CF's, or Pikachu's.

As for actual play style, I would say that he is more geared towards a reactive style of fighting and that when approaching, approach with caution. Whenever a match first starts, it is in your best interest to pick the weapon that you want to use for the majority of the match against an opponent. Although if you don't it's not the end of the world and it is fairly easy to switch weapons in the middle of the match but it's still in your best interest to get it from the get go. Also, while pick make sure you get the right weapon for the every opponent, cause what might be super effective on one may not be for another. I also find myself using almost every move MM has to offer, except f-throw and d-tilt, as it is important to switch up your game/moves every once in a while, even during matches. MM also requires a lot of reading with his kill moves and smash attacks. MM has a good dodging system use it. Finally, one way to avoid dying for the flaw in MM's recovery is to stall for a second to throw off opponents game, although this is by no means a guarantee.

Mega Buster - I rarely use this move but it can be a good edgeguard option and a good move to discourage camping.

Crash Bomb - I rarely use this either, but for the completely different reason of honor. Although I will use this at times to beat very skilled players playing OP characters.

Rock Throw - One of the two main weapons I use. It's good for shutting down some air approaches, spacing and very close range, anti-edgeguard, and extending combo's.

Rolling Cutter - My other weapon of choice. It's good for setting up combo's, anti-camping, priority over weaker projectiles (such as Link's boomerang and Pika's thunder jolts), anti-ground, close range, and aniti-edgeguard

Black Hole - Not too practical but I use it to mess with people. Good trapping tool but requires a lot of reading.

Side Spec - Good for easily reflecting projectiles (and clone mines) and as a quick gimp move.

Up Spec - Obviously recovering, although remember to watch for the the "one hit death sentence" a real killer

Down Spec - Switching weapons and stalling in the air.

N combo - "Get back" move, a quick move to do

Dash attack - Good combo starter, good approach ( although it can be easy to get hit out of)

F tilt - Decent kill move, a "get back" move, stops some approaches and recoveries, and somewhat of a combo breaker

U tilt - Kill move or juggle

D tilt - Not really viable and I only use this by accident wen trying to do D smash.

F smash - Good for edgeguarding, practical if you can read opponents movements into it but not to practical

U smash - Trapping move, requires excellent reading but can be used in combo's, kill move

D smash - MM's best kill move but is awkward, also requires reading, good edgeguarding tool

N Air - Good for combo's, not the best approach as it can be easy for opponents to hit you out of, juggling, follow up to F air

F Air - Better approach option, trapping, good for combo's, can start combo's, good edgeguarding tool

D Air - Stalling, recovery

B Air - Great kill move but is awkward, Great edgeguarding tool, helps with perfectly timing edgehogging, hell of a gimp move

U Air - Great anti-air, litter the skies with projectiles, good kill move when not split up, juggle, can be worked into with some throws and combo's

F throw - Not bad but not good either

D Throw - Good for setting up combo's and can be comboed into

U Throw - Good for setting up combo's, can set up kill moves with some reading

B Throw - Better version of F throw and great for setting up edgeguards

This is all I can think of right now, if you have any more questions feel free to ask. :smile:

WelfareWednesday wrote:
Why should it be better? And who's asking for a huge nerf?
ProjectBrawl7 wrote:
Nobody is asking for a nerf, the SSF2 did it...

Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:00 pm

I think mega man definitely needs a buff, after playing with him and maining him for a month, he is definitely on the weaker side, mostly due to the instant kill (which i think is way too drastic to be deemed a weakness) and how slow his attacks and projectiles are. The slow speed of mega buster coupled with its flinch bring removed makes me never even use it; I only use mega buster to charge shots for edge guarding now. The no flinch makes the move completely useless on the ground and in the air with beat call. Some moves take forever to do, most notorious for this is that useless d tilt kick. I'm surprised no one has mentioned his smash: it just seems unfinished and rushed to me. All other characters with controllable smashes (like Ichigo, Wario) have a totally new move set that makes getting the smash fun. With mega man you literally just spam missiles all day.

I'd like to see mega buster flinch restored, beat call no longer a -1 stock and the black home bomb back to its 0.9a (just don't let it do damage, only wind effects and projectile absorption), lag reduction on b air, d tilt, and u air, at the expense of his slow speed, slow projectiles, and ease to be combo'd. I think mega man would be really balanced in this sense but would still have his weakness be fast, burst attacks and combos (like fox) and his strength be staff control and projectile game.

Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:49 pm
SSF2 Developer

Quote:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned his smash: it just seems unfinished and rushed to me. All other characters with controllable smashes (like Ichigo, Wario) have a totally new move set that makes getting the smash fun. With mega man you literally just spam missiles all day.

(Looks at Diddy Kong)
:V

Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:00 pm

MGN Username: ZekePrower
Currently Playing: With my fox dolls.
Dair for recovery is overlooked. It gives you amazing lateral movement when far away.

Rem is my main. Kinda looks like Tails doesn't she?

Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:42 pm
BR Member

Ever thought of how Metal Blade would look in SSF2? :drool:

Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:46 pm

Any news on the new Mega-Man in the next demo?

Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:01 pm
BR Member

modern_knight wrote:
Any news on the new Mega-Man in the next demo?

The only news I heard is Mega Buster flinches when close to MM.

Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:04 pm

I think that Mega Man's Mega Arm can be spammed too much. I know I've done my fair share of it in matches- I've kept away Final Forms using just the one special.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:08 pm

While it can be spammed, it is pretty easy to counter; especially for smaller characters, as they can run right underneath it and get to the vulnerable mega man. For bigger characters it might be more difficult but I think it's definitely possible, once my opponent catches on to my super arm spam they usually adjust and predict the trajectory and dodge it

Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:28 pm

MGN Username: TAC3
Currently Playing: SSF2, League of Legends, Steam Games
It's pretty easy to power-shield in SSF2, so you could easily reflect the charge shot back at mega man imo

Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:41 am
 [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next