The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 7:28 am

[ 13 posts ] 
Controller Users: What's your setup? 

MGN Username: Huey
Currently Playing: Smash 4. Waiting for Beta. They better code in Bidou...
Just wondering what kinds of controllers different people use and what their button layout is. Do you use a GameCube controller? If so, do you leave the layout as it is in official Smash titles or do you make your own adjustments? If you don't use a GameCube controller, what kind of controller do you use? Do you try to format it so it feels as close to a GC controller as you can get it or do you just start from scratch and build your own layout? If you build your own, why is this layout comfortable for you? What finger advantages does it give you vs a standard layout? PLEASE DON'T JUST LIST YOUR LAYOUT. WHY IS THIS BETTER THAN OTHER LAYOUTS FOR YOU?

As for me, I use an Xbox One controller. It's a mini series not that it matters. My layout is as follows (not used buttons aren't included)
Left thumbstick: Move
Left thumbsick click: Sprint
Right thumbstick: Quick Smashes/C Stick
Right thumbstick click: Grab
Right bumper: Jump
Right trigger: Crouch
B button: Crouch
Left trigger: Shield
A button: Attack
X button: Special
Select: Taunt
Start: Pause
Tap jump: Off
Auto dash: Off
D tap dash: Off

Seems kinda weird right? :) First off, I have 2 crouch button inputs instead of using the thumbstick to crouch. (they have seperate uses that I'll explain) Has anyone else thought of this? It's so useful for me. I never liked pulling down on the stick to crouch. It f*** up my movement. Now since it's a button input, I can fast fall with ease just pulling right trigger. I can also spot dodge by pulling both triggers (since my left trigger is shield) vs shielding and pulling down on the stick which I never was comfortable with for some reason. As for why I have 2 different buttons for crouch;

Right trigger crouch: I use this for d-tilts, fast falls, spot dodges, and dash cancel smash attacks

B button crouch(recently added this one): I use this for dash cancel sprinting with BBM. Easier for me to tap a button repeatedly with my thumb vs. pulling one with my index finger

Another thing I think is useful about my controls is my jump button which allows for ease of doing sh aerials. I simply tap my jump button (which is where my index finger rests naturally) and pull my c stick which can be done with ease since my thumb is always on the buttons. It makes for one movement of the fingers to do the sh aerials (I press both inputs nearly at the same time) vs two or maybe three.

Other than that, I chose A button as attack because it just seemed right and X button as special because it's more comfortable to me than using B as special. On gamecube controller the B button is to the left of A I believe so maybe I just got comfortable with that.

Sprinting by clicking stick because I used to play a lot of CoD back when that was cool so maybe the concept of doing that is just in my head. Also just feels more controlled to me.

Grabbing by clicking right stick because my thumb is on that stick to do sh aerials half the time so it just made sense to me. I also have Y button set as grab but never use it.

I've taken the time to make a very professional diagram.

Attachments:
Layout.png
Layout.png [ 79.7 KiB | Viewed 2271 times ]

Last edited by Huey on Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:54 pm

MGN Username: Lunary
Currently Playing: Super Smash Bros. Melee , League Of Legends , Drinking
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=40386

Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:02 pm

Lunary wrote:
http://forums.mcleodgaming.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=40386

Not sure if you linked that to just show me your controls or tell me a similar topic exists.

If it's the latter, I think I'll leave this one up (if I can) since it's specifically for controllers and I want to know WHY they use the controls they use. Maybe someone could give me a better idea.

If it's the former, I want to know about Controller setups, not keyboard. :)

Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:10 pm

MGN Username: Zalozis Zemsis
Currently Playing: Gundam Wing: Endless Dual | Melty Blood: Actress Again Current Code | Super Smash Bros. Brawl

viewtopic.php?f=95&t=39608

And it has a poll. Get owned.

Seriously, when a topic about controllers is made, it should just be merged with this one.

Luigi Movement, Cancel, Tech, etc.
YouTube Video:
SSF2 Google Drive
". . . Emphasis . . . of players helping one-another"

Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:59 pm

Zalozis wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=95&t=39608

And it has a poll. Get owned.

Seriously, when a topic about controllers is made, it should just be merged with this one.

But that one isn't asking the same question! I'm not trying to be difficult here guys but I'm asking something different than "what kind of controller do you use?" or even "what are your controls?". I want to know why so maybe if someone has a smarter setup than mine I can make adjustments. At the very least it's interesting to me to know how others have their setups. I think it's cool how one set layout isn't necessary for skill but also wonder if there's a layout/controller that proves to be more advantageous than others. In a sense I'm asking both the questions on those topics and adding more to it.

Also I want to know if people have weird inputs like my crouch button and why

Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:16 pm

MGN Username: Zalozis Zemsis
Currently Playing: Gundam Wing: Endless Dual | Melty Blood: Actress Again Current Code | Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Topics could still be merged because all of them are dead, and this is a very specific controller topic bond to die with the minimal number of controller users.

I have a crouch-button as one of my face buttons to make Dash-Cancelling a bit easier. I'm impressed someone else actually does this as well. It's a good idea to have Down be as easy to press as keyboard user have it. It'll make a lot of other tech easier to do as well (depends on the layout).

There are some advantages though, like making 'Jump' one of the shoulder buttons. Layouts aren't always about having an advantages. It can be just preference. When I use a GameCube controller, the only change I like is X for 'Down,' and L for 'Dash.' I'm too accustomed to the official Smash layout with the controller; even though changing it could end up being much better performance-wise.

Luigi Movement, Cancel, Tech, etc.
YouTube Video:
SSF2 Google Drive
". . . Emphasis . . . of players helping one-another"

Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:18 pm

Zalozis wrote:
Topics could still be merged because all of them are dead, and this is a very specific controller topic bond to die with the minimal number of controller users.

I have a crouch-button as one of my face buttons to make Dash-Cancelling a bit easier. I'm impressed someone else actually does this as well. It's a good idea to have Down be as easy to press as keyboard user have it. It'll make a lot of other tech easier to do as well (depends on the layout).

There are some advantages though, like making 'Jump' one of the shoulder buttons. Layouts aren't always about having an advantages. It can be just preference. When I use a GameCube controller, the only change I like is X for 'Down,' and L for 'Dash.' I'm too accustomed to the official Smash layout with the controller; even though changing it could end up being much better performance-wise.

Yeah man, crouch should just be a button input in all smash games vs a thumbstick input. At the very least have the option to choose. It's nearly as important as jump. Especially in a game like melee with crouch cancels. Also my jump button IS my shoulder button. :D It's soooo useful for aerials. And what do you mean merge topics? How is this done?

Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:38 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Doq
Currently Playing: one of thousands of variations of Solitaire
Waifu: Es
https://goput.it/9dey.png

Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:12 pm
YIM WWW

Doqtor Kirby wrote:

That is so unclear. lol How do you have a button for sh u air? That would require 2 inputs quickly one after another with the press of one button, right..? Kind of seems like cheating but it's interesting nonetheless xD

Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:21 am
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
I use a GC controller, so I use the standard Melee setup except that I play with tap jump off.

I've been using this controller to play smash for years I'm not stopping now lol.

Youtube: NinjaLobsterStudios
Stream: twitch.tv/ninjalobster

Click to expand thumbnail

Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:20 am

MGN Username: Nstinct
Currently Playing: Smash Bros. 4 3DS, Super Smash Flash 2
I use a controller 30-40% of the time. It seems pretty standard to me, but I've always felt like I needed to tweak my layout. Never thought about using crouch as a button on the controller but I should probably give it a try. Besides, I have a very janky keyboard layout so making strange but useful controls isn't something new to me.

Attachments:
Smash Flash 2 Logitech Layout.jpg
Smash Flash 2 Logitech Layout.jpg [ 64.43 KiB | Viewed 2222 times ]
Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:58 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Doq
Currently Playing: one of thousands of variations of Solitaire
Waifu: Es
Huey wrote:
Doqtor Kirby wrote:

That is so unclear. lol How do you have a button for sh u air? That would require 2 inputs quickly one after another with the press of one button, right..? Kind of seems like cheating but it's interesting nonetheless xD

It's kinda weird, but I have it set to F6, which a second program sends K and 9 (jump and c-up respectively).

Because I have tap jump on and I do aerials with A, it's a few frames from impossible otherwise.

Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:14 pm
YIM WWW

Doqtor Kirby wrote:
Huey wrote:
Doqtor Kirby wrote:

It's kinda weird, but I have it set to F6, which a second program sends K and 9 (jump and c-up respectively).

Because I have tap jump on and I do aerials with A, it's a few frames from impossible otherwise.

Wow that's pretty cool. And I guess it's not cheating. :P Tried to do something similar with my dpad for the different directional taunts. Like having up on the d pad register as 2 inputs (up + taunt). Couldn't figure it out though. :\

Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:39 pm
 [ 13 posts ]