The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 4:57 am

[ 7 posts ] 
obi_nation's application 

MGN Username: obi_nation
Currently Playing: with my limit!
Name (aka Handle):
obi_nation
How old are you?:
Which characters do you play in SSF2? Why do you play these characters? (Note: do not list characters that are not currently in the game):
Samus. She was easy to pick up and i guess she just stuck with me. I recently picked up Meta Knight as I have a hard time playing higher tier characters. I've stuck with him cause he has a lot of options with killing, recovering and neutral.
How much experience do you have with official Smash titles? (SSB64, Melee, Brawl. Include in this answer which characters you play/played.):
SSF2 is the first smash game i played competitively. Now im kinda practicing melee where i play samus and marth
Have you ever attended any Smash tournaments? If so, give some details about the tournament (number of participants, which games, etc). How well did you place?
there were a few smash4 tournaments at my school of about 12 people. i dont remember my exact placing but it was 5th or 7th most of the time
When did you start playing SSF2?
v0.3 (or which ever one added sonic)
What is your favorite stage in SSF2? Explain.
Battlefield because I like to morph slide around which is a pretty cool movement option. Also Jungle Hijinx cause you can do some jank stuff with missles on the platform
Who, in your opinion, should be placed first on the SSF2 tier list? Under competitive settings why would this character perform on a higher level than all others?
MK without a doubt. His ground game is amazing with dtilt and ftilt which come out super quick and also can lead to a dsmash and fsmash to kill. His Nair Bair and Uair are his best aerials, nair being able kill, RAR bair having good range and uair being able to combo into itself. He also has a lot of recovery options combined with his 5 jumps makes him able to mix things up a bit.
Who, in your opinion, should be placed last on the SSF2 tier list? Under competitive settings why would this character perform on a lower level than all others?
Wario. He is horribly slow and has little range making him easy to camp. only thing redeemable about him is his down special but even thats limited to a timer.
If you could make only one change to SSF2 as it currently is, what would it be and why?
I'd change Zeldas aerials. Her lighting kicks come out way to fast and have to big of a hitbox. combine this with SSF2s low landing lag and she can throw these out with little consequence.
What is your view on items in competitive play?
too many variables. not needed
Do you have or can you download Skype? You don't need a mic or webcam.
no but i can get it
Why do you want to join the Smash Flash Back Room? What will you contribute? Why are you an exceptional applicant? Be as detailed as possible.
Probably cause beta is approaching and im super excited for it. I really wanna help the ssf2 community grow even if it is just a fangame.

Additional information (Include in this section anything relevant to your application. This could include links to videos of yourself playing.)
https://youtu.be/XnC4OupgP_c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPO_Q1t4zOQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYPQuBg ... e=youtu.be

Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:59 am
BR Member

MGN Username: CSWooly
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, SSF2, SSB4, League of Legends.
STAGELIST:
Neutral:
Battlefield
Final Destination/Nintendo 3DS
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium 3
Yoshi's Story

Counterpick:
Dreamland
Tower of Salvation
Castle Siege
Dracula's Castle
Sky Sanctuary Zone
WarioWare
Mirror Chamber

1) Using the following stagelist, determine Samus's three best stages, and give as much detail as to why you think these stages benefit Samus the most?
2) Samus is usually classed as a zoning character. Which characters does Samus tend to struggle against most, and what category would these characters usually fall under? (e.g. Rushdown, Bait and Punish, Grappling, Zoning, Defensive, etc.)

Click to expand thumbnail

SSF2 Backroom Character Analyst and Labber

Mains: :lucario: :simon:

Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:26 am

I would say the 3 best stages for Samus would be Dreamland, Dracula's Castle, and Battlefield. Dreamland is her best stage for many reasons. The height of the platforms makes it so she can't get hit by some moves that would other wise KO her vertically on Battlefield (Fox up-smash, Marths f-samsh, Zeldas up-smash, and Pikas up-smash). The size of the stage is pretty large and allows you to have a more zoning play style where you can spam missiles and morph slide around on the platforms to avoid your opponent. The large horizontal blast zones also benefit her being a somewhat heavy character making her take less knock back, and a very floaty character giving her better vertical recovery combined with her morph bombs and tether.
Dracula's Castle is another good pick for her mostly for the same reason as Dreamland; platform heights and size. I normally pick this stage if they chose to ban Dreamland.
Battlefield is a stage I almost always pick during game 1. Even though the platforms are low enough for her to get KO'd by the previously mentioned moves, she can still use these platforms to her advantage. They are low enough for her to easily rack up damage with up-smash or SH uair and even KO with utilt on more floaty characters.

From my experience Samus seems to struggle a lot with Fox, Falcon, and Sheik. Fox and Falcon are both fast, rush down characters who can easily out maneuver Samus. Fox is almost impossible to camp due to his reflector and laser allowing him to rack up damage from afar and sending back any projectile. Fox also has a lot of vertical KO power with up-smash and up-throw -> uair allowing him to KO Samus early. If fox manages to get in close (which shouldn't be that hard) Samus has almost no option as a lot of her disjoints extend her hurtbox (nair and ftilt) and her other moves have too much endlag or startup lag (utilt and dtilt). The same can be said for the Falcon MU. Although it is easier than the Fox MU in the neutral, his punish game is way worse. Once falcon gets a grab he can basically juggle you with his aerials (nair and uair) and eventually get a knee. The only option you have is to spam zair to get out of combos.
Sheik can either bea bait and punish or a defensive character. Although Samus can shut down her grounded approaches with ftilt, she has almost no way to stop her when she does something like SH nair or bair which come out super fast and allows her to safely approach samus. She can even be a more defensive character at close range as she can space with bair ftilt, utilt, and even needles.

EDIT: I forgot that some of the stages I mentioned aren't legal in some tournaments anymore. I mentioned them because I'm normally used to the Anthers stage list (which is kinda bad) which has Dreamland as a starter and Dracula's Castle and Jungle Hijinx as a counterpick

Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:44 pm

bump

Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:14 am
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
The saga continues...

Use the same stagelist as above:

1. Describe and analyze the Samus-Falcon MU. Cover neutral game, offstage game, punish game, and anything else you deem important. Conclude your analysis with a matchup ratio (such as 60-40 for a significant advantage to Samus or a 30-70 for crushing advantage to Falcon)

2. Imagine the BR is having a discussion on whether to ban charge-stacking as a glitch (I'm talking here about creating projectiles more powerful than a single charge shot, not techniques that allow for shooting a normal one without charging it). I make a post that says the following:
"Samus's CSG should be banned. Getting grabbed and instakilled with a projectile is fundamentally anti-competitive and robs the opponent of the ability to play the game. Additionally, it focuses the game on Samus getting space to stack charges as opposed to playing the game as it was intended to be played."
What would you say in response to this argument? More generally, what would you define as your criteria on whether to ban techniques like this (e.g., what "check boxes" would something need to fulfill to be bannable in your view)?

I understand the question is weird, so if you have any questions about exactly what I'm referring to don't hesitate to ask.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:26 pm

Neutral Game:
Alright so Falcon wins the neutral game most of the time. Falcon's Nair and Uair combined with his speed gives him decent range while being able to run laps around Samus. However since his best options require him to be in the air, when he is grounded Samus has a better time. Ftilt is probably Samus best tool in the neutral. Even though it extends her hurtbox it has good range and comes out fast and outranges pretty much all of Falcons attacks. Utilt is a decent anti-air too but i really wouldn't rely on it too much on a fast faller like Falcon. Another tool Samus has is uncharged N-Spec. I feel like this is really underrated. If you know they are going to miss space the Nair throw out a charge shot. And if you are ever being combo'd and can't escape you can always throw out a zair

Offstage Game:
This is where Samus has an advantage over Falcon. Samus has a lot of tools for recovery, while Falcon doesn't have much for edguarding. Samus is floaty and can bomb stall till shes the right distance and throw out a zair to tether. If the opponent is at the ledge then they get hit by the zair. Samus can also bomb stall and try to get right under the ledge where she can upB to recover. Not a lot of moves beat out her upB so its a pretty safe choice. This seems to work best on stages such as Smashville and Final Destination that have a sort of sloped ledge. When it comes to Samus edguarding Falcon there are a few things she can do. Falcons recovery is pretty linear and easy to predict. You can fire charge shot or missile from the edge or try to catch them right before the grab the ledge with Utilt and Dtilt. I'd strike a stage like Yoshi's Story or Tower of Salvation that make it easy for Falcon to recover.

Punish Game:
I think both characters can punish each other pretty decently but Falcon does it better.. Samus can catch Falcons who jump too much with Dtilt as they land which can lead into upsmash at 0-5% or bair or fair at later percents. Samus main option for punishing is her charged shot. Like I said before you can use it point blank if they dont properly space nair, or if they whiff you can Dthrow into Charged Shot or any aerial. You can even jab into CS if you wanted to. Falcon punishes Samus hard. Since a lot of her setups and finishers begin with Dthrow missing a grab with her at high percents is a free kill for falcon. His throws can all start combos when followed by Uair and finish with knee or stomp, he can jab into knee, and all of his smash attacks can kill.

Overall I think the MU is 40-60 in Falcons favor. Falcon having the advantage in neutral makes it so Samus has to focus more on trying to punish, but if she does she can easily get Falcon off stage and shouldn't have a hard time edguarding.

As for Charge Stacking,I don't do it, but I think it should be banned. It only takes 4 stacks for it to OHKO, 3 of those stacks can be obtained while your opponent has been KO'd and respawns. It too easy to abuse and make the forces the samus to have camp and play lame just to stack. I personally think if it allows the user to play super defensive and passive and the opponent can't really anything about it then it deserves to be banned.

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:04 am
BR Member

MGN Username: Miracle--7
Waifu: Not a weeb so N/A
We apologize for the massive delay but we're pleased to inform you that your application has been accepted. Welcome to the Super Smash Flash 2 Back Room! Please wait as an admin adds you to the usergroup momentarily.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJN2bI ... U4T8VXpgvA
My Youtube channel :D

Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:30 pm
 [ 7 posts ]