The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 3:45 pm

[ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
December 25th, 2013 News (Merry Christmas from MG!!) 

MGN Username: TAC3
Currently Playing: SSF2, League of Legends, Steam Games
Byllant wrote:
Cat3 wrote:
Byllant wrote:
Nice, 22 days! hope you didn't dissapoint like last year. Happy holidays!

What...

How was last year a disappointment?

Demo v0.9a, while still great (I admit I spent many hours playing it anyway), didn't met my expectations unlike v0.8a-b did, or even v0.7. It barely had new content (I'm not including the new characters and stages) and many changes were only cosmetical. I'm also pointing the demo delays, while it was the high traffic page's fault, it showed developers weren't ready for it, and it happened 2 years in a row. That's why I'm expecting something even bigger than v0.7, not only skin changes.

Well, not counting characters and stages, that means v0.8 had no content except for target test. v0.9 had event mode, which is actually more content than target test in itself.
The engine of the game also improved upon that which v0.8 partly established.

And if you're not counting character or stage additions, the v0.7 had nothing but a bit of engine fixing. V0.7 was probably one of the biggest demos with adding characters and stages.

I'd say v0.9 was much bigger than v0.8, content wise and in graphical improvements.

Oh btw, not counting characters or stages as content when comparing demos in what they provided to the public is pretty dumb lol
That's like comparing to paintings on how they look and saying "oh but don't count their looks, only their meanings matter"

Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:14 pm

MGN Username: Byllant
Currently Playing: A lot of Nintendo games as if there's no end.
I don't focus too much on characters and stages at all because they are the most important aspect of the game and I also focus on the lesser stuff, like item, menu designs, but most important, the original side of the game. When they focused to much on characters and stages that they sometime leave the rest with little to no attention. v0.9a was massive but not all the stuff was amazing, and I got to admit I hate the fact developers seem to consider this game part of the official Super Smash Bros. series (Mushroom Kingdom III, Pokémon Stadium 3, "King of the Jungle 2" confirms that), doing that is slowing killing the originality of the game. It is minor new content from v0.9 we have seen so far what dissapoints, because it isn't too much different than past demos. And if I focus on characters, the mayority of the cast was already seen in the official games, it is nice to have them in order to appeal fandom, but they lack the original touch this game was supposed to be, just take the Smash incarnation and put it in the game, what about something new? I could only say Sonic. Even the only "original" character, Bomberman, had something very remiscent to othe characters (it is easy to notice Sonic's side tilt and up tilt, Mario's bair, Lucas uair and dair, etc. on Bomberman's moveset) and it was even more dissapointing seeing those characters getting the same FS, were years ago original ideas for new FS were presented, they weren't any better but at least were different. My point is that some stuff doesn't feel unique, v0.9a barely had something unique. Now Mario is regaining the Mario Finale as his sole FS that really got me down. Stages have nothing wrong so that's why I'm not counting them. Now, the focus of some events, well, not all were exciting and I cannot expect something really neat from them aside new objetives. I'm expecting something original, something that you would never seen in a Smash Bros. game, something that will make people stop thinking SSF2 is just a flash port/sequel of Brawl, because as of today, there is still people that belives that.

Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:50 am

It's just a video game, calm down

Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:21 am

Byllant wrote:
(WALL OF TEXT)

Seriously, man? You're that butthurt over characters from official installments being in the game? SSF2 was supposed to be original? Well considering that your definition of 'originality' is a bunch of anime and fanmade characters that nobody liked, nonsensical moveset alterations, and retarded memes, I'd beg to differ. The content that SSF2 has introduced over its development has been very much original with movesets and playstyles for characters that truly fit in Smash. I shouldn't even have to mention how wrong you are about the stages since the vast majority of them are completely new yet still based on locales from iconic Nintendo franchises.

And you're pissed at the devs because you think that they're treating this as an official installment? Well they're certainly trying to make it as good as an official installment and if you think that's a bad thing then go to hell, don't breathe my air, and get the f*** off this forum.

Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:42 pm
Site Moderator

MGN Username: Pochi
Kyuubit Level Two wrote:
It's just a video game, calm down

TwitterAsk
Kittenpuncher wrote:
imagine having sex with a clown though
instead of a dick he just has one of those flowers that shoots water out

Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:58 pm

Currently Playing: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Waifu: Mina Ashido
Hope it was a happy one, ya'll.

Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:59 pm
Site Admin

MGN Username: [TSON]
Currently Playing: with myself
Our goal is not to make SSF2 into a big mess that's original for the sake of originality, it's to make a Smash game. A Smash game is nothing without Smash characters, Smash stages, and other Smash content. Professionalism is important when taking up a project of this magnitude, and I'm sorry if you don't like your Smash Bros. to have Smash characters for some reason. Yes, it's not the most exciting thing in the world when we add stuff you've already seen in official titles, but it has to happen sometime.

Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:50 pm

MGN Username: Tid
Currently Playing: Deep™ The™ Game™
I would think our original stages would be eenough at least to demonstrate how we can add cool new concepts without diverging too hard from nintendos choice of representation, but ok

Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:03 am
SSF2 Developer

The one with the lava waterfall is really awesome, BTW.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:42 am

MGN Username: Byllant
Currently Playing: A lot of Nintendo games as if there's no end.
Tid wrote:
I would think our original stages would be eenough at least to demonstrate how we can add cool new concepts without diverging too hard from nintendos choice of representation, but ok

Exactly and that's why stages are my least concern, they are perfect.

And DevonS, my concern is not about the removed stuff (I don't give a damn for it, SSF2 was nothing better that time than it currently is) but the potential new content that could be added considering this is a fan-made game, as fans, we listen to each other. Characters from the official games are not impressive enough as we already know how they will work, but a prime example of something being apply in a different way is Sonic, and so far the only character that does so, perhaps Link's bomb arrows too. Now, if they game heads to a way where stuff can get something neat, that ¡s something I would call unique, something that clears any further misunderstanding, stuff that is new and is not only impressive just because it is a sprited version of an already known character but also because it has the imprinted spirit of devs' creativity, that why this game is awesome, well, one of the reasons it is awesome, and it has large fandom because of that ability from devs to craft 3D fighters into 2D sprites and code them into fghitng fan-game with high expectations, but in a way, this turns really stale to just be doing that and have said character play with a similar game-style, they are not the same but if content gets so similar, there wil be times people will just assume SSF2 is just a random port from Brawl, something that gets reinforced with "sequel names", that's what really pisses me off, that's why I'm really pissed with content being so similar, where you will barely notice anything different, and because of those who think this game is "flashy" demake, just no! SSF2 is a game on its own, while BASED on a stablished fighting series, it forms part of its own series, there it the original SSF1, it led to high results but did not reach to some expected results by fan and Cleod knew he was capable of more, this reboot is supposed to be that.

Now that was tiresome speech, but I hope this clears what I really meant with v0.9a content being somehow stale for me.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:53 am

merry christmas! happy happy!

Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:15 am
SSF2 Developer

Glad you like Sonic's changes, but for other characters, especially those who have been in more than 1 Smash game, they already have a well-established play-style. People who Main them probably wouldn't want their design to have unnecessary major changes.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:01 pm
Site Admin

Alright, time to bring this topic to a close

:lock:

Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:10 pm
 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2