The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 5:00 am

[ 8 posts ] 
Chaos0's BR Application 
BR Member

MGN Username: Blaxorus
Currently Playing: Super Smash Flash 2
Name (aka Handle):

The names Chaos0, just because I love the character Chaos from Sonic Adventure.

How old are you?:

12 Years old, born on August 11

Which characters do you play in SSF2? Why do you play these characters? (Note: do not list characters that are not currently in the game):

Sonic the hedgehog. I play Sonic because he's always been my favorite video game character. I used him back in 9a and loved him, but with the huge side-b nerf as of 9b, I stopped using him. Then, I picked him one day, went in training and tested out his moves. I realized that with his surprisingly long grab range, fast speed and amazing edgeguarding potential, that he is still very good, and that he fits my play style.

How much experience do you have with official Smash titles? (SSB64, Melee, Brawl. Include in this answer which characters you play/played.):

I've played 64, Melee, Brawl(for a little) and Smash 4, so all official Smash bros. games.
I use Pikachu, Falco and Sheik, Sheik and Diddy, Link, Sheik and DHD, in each game respectively.

I have played Smash 4 the most, Melee, then 64 and lastly Brawl. I play Smash 4 because finally, Link is actually good, as well as many other characters in this game, and personally I don't think anyone is ''OP'', but maybe that's just me. Melee is next because with the physics, techs, and characters you can pull of insane comboes if you know your character well, and it's fun to pull off. I love 64 because it's funny to watch, fun to play and is not really that serious, where you can just relax. And Brawl, well I never actually liked what happened to Sheik, so I looked for someone else to use. I practiced every character, and found Diddy Kong, and loved his Down-B mechanic, with the Banana peel. I played with those two alot, but I eventually stopped because it got boring, especially with the tripping.
Eventually, I found Project M and quit Brawl for that, where I started to use Ivysaur and Sheik.

Have you ever attended any Smash tournaments? If so, give some details about the tournament (number of participants, which games, etc). How well did you place?

I have never exactly entered one, but I've always wanted to join Melee and Smash 4 tournaments, but at my current age I think it'll be a while before I do. When I do, I hope to have enough skill to be a top player in both games, and rank very high in various tournaments, and meet many new and old good players.

When did you start playing SSF2?

I have been playing SSF2 ever since release but I started to play competitively however in 2015.

What is your favorite stage in SSF2? Explain.

I don't really have a favorite stage, but I'd have to say Smashville. Back when I played Brawl, it was either this or FD. This was usually my stage pick, my brothers, and many other tournament players. In Project M, same thing. Except with Project M, alot more stages are picked, but Smashville still the most. And even in Smash 4, with ''Town and City'' added, those two are picked alot.

Who, in your opinion, should be placed first on the SSF2 tier list? Under competitive settings why would this character perform on a higher level than all others?

Like me and many of my other friends agree, MK would most likely be placed as the best character of SSF2. He is very fast, strong, has a great combo game and a unpredictable recovery with all his specials and his jumps. Every single one of his aerial will combo into itself, kill and will be unpunishable, and due to his speed, it's harder to approach him, due to his strength, you have to approach very carefully, but many characters cannot.

Who, in your opinion, should be placed last on the SSF2 tier list? Under competitive settings why would this character perform on a lower level than all others?

I don't know if many others agree with this one, but I think the worst character is Sora. Despite his unrivaled combo game, he has very limited kill moves, a bad and predictable recovery and low damage potential, leaving him in my opinion as the worst character in demo 0.9b.

If you could make only one change to SSF2 as it currently is, what would it be and why?

I'd keep SSF2 characters like how they are now in 0.9b for beta,
but make alot more stages that are perfect for competitive gameplay, as there is a limited choice of stages, if not, I'd rather make it so that shields are smaller
so that you'd see alot more shield breaks, because those are super rare.

What is your view on items in competitive play?

I think items would be fun and all, but it'd be unfair in competitive play. For example, what if a red shell comes and keeps going for you due to you being the closest? You're most likely going to gain 100+ damage and your opponent could finish you with a f-smash. Really takes away the skill aspect of the game.

Do you have or can you download Skype? You don't need a mic or webcam.

No, I do not have skype as of right now, and I'm not planning to get skype, unfortunately.

Why do you want to join the Smash Flash Back Room? What will you contribute? Why are you an exceptional applicant? Be as detailed as possible.

I want to join the SFBR Because when I joined the mcleodgaming forum, I first challenged Mr.Z, because he was the first person I found that was online. I was confident in my Sonic, and felt that I'd take anyone. However, Z completely changed that. So I went into training and tested out a little. Now, I'm 10x better than what I used to be. I've had some experience with almost every character, and I'd love to hear what you guys say, as well as love to share my ideas. And maybe I'd meet and play some top players, get better, and maybe find a few strategies, or a way to help my play style and help all of yours.

Additional information (Include in this section anything relevant to your application. This could include links to videos of yourself playing.)

secondaries: :tails: :lloyd:

Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:32 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
Use this stagelist for the questions below:

STARTER
-Final Destination/Nintendo 3DS
-Battlefield
-Smashville
-Yoshi's Story
-Pokemon Stadium III

COUNTERPICK
-Tower of Salvation
-Dreamland
-Sky Sanctuary
-Castle Siege
-Dracula's Castle
-Jungle Hijinx
-Wario Ware
'

1. You're in a tournament, rocking Sonic. You come up against a player who you know only plays Marth. Using a 1-2-1 system of stage striking, what stage would you expect to play on in the first game? You strike first. Explain why you think each choice is the best one.

2. You lose the first game, on Smashville. (Note: my choice of Smashville is in no way hinting at what I think would be the best answer to the first question.) Assuming that they cannot ban any stages, what stage do you think you should play on? Be detailed in your response.

3. Analyze the Sonic vs Marth matchup in detail. Discuss all aspects of the matchup, including neutral game, punish game, offstage game, and defensive game. Using your analysis, give a matchup ratio: for example, if Sonic has an overwhelming advantage, you might say 80-20, while if Marth had an overwhelming advantage, you might say 20-80. Be detailed in your response.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:14 pm
BR Member

1. If I met someone who only knew how to play Marth, I'd say their pick would be Yoshi's story, due to its small blast zones being very good for Marth, as the tippers can kill at very low percentages, so I'd ban it. Then, I'd say the Marth would ban bigger stages, due to him not killing as early, and because of Sonic's ''hit and run'' strategy, he'd ban FD/3DS and Pokemon Stadium 3.
Lastly, I'd ban battlefield because normally, Marth is great at comboes, and with the Battlefield platforms, he'd be better at comboes and would get edge-cancels, which benefit Marth and his fast attacks. And, if he makes me land on a platform, teched or not, he could hit me with a tippered F-smash, leaving Smashville left.( No, I didn't take your next question into consideration)

2. Against a Marth, I'd choose Tower of Salvation, because like I said, Sonic is about the ''hit and run'' strategy, and with it being a sort of big stage, it'd be great for Sonic. And the two platforms, would help Sonic's recovery alot. As one homing attack, from offstage will bring him towards the platform, where the opponent can't F-smash you, thinking that the Marth will try an onstage edgeguard.

3. The Sonic vs Marth matchup would be harder for Sonic, due to Marth's disjointed attacks. Sonic would have to play safe with his shield and OOS options, to not get grabbed, and try to get his own grabs, because Sonic's grab range as well as throws are very good. Marth's moves have very little lag, so it's harder for Sonic to punish, as with his speed you'll most likely overshoot Marth. However, once Marth is offstage,( It's like this for most characters, Fox mainly) he's not as deadly. Sonic is an offstage edgeguarder, and Marth needs momentum to recover. So Sonic can stop it with his Homing attack, dair, nair and bair. Marth, however isn't so good at edgeguarding Sonic, due to Sonic having multiple recovery options, (Homing attack, Bounce Bracelet, Spring and Light Dash attack) To help him safely get back onstage, and on ledge. Defensively, Sonic can't do that much. With his lack of projectiles( only up-b) he can't attack Marth from far away. But with Marth's Disjoint, he can attack Sonic, while Sonic can't attack him. He can also space with all his aerials, while it'll be hard for Sonic to get in, due to his lack of projectiles.
My ending ratio would be 40:60 in Marth's favor.

Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:53 pm
SSF2 Developer

You mentioned three Aerials Sonic can use to Edge-Guard Marth: D-Air, B-Air, and N-Air. Please discuss the relative advantages and disadvantages of each, and in what situations you would use each.

Quote:
I have been playing SSF2 ever since release but I started to play competitively however in 2015.

Do you mean the initial release, or the release of v.0.9b?

Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:44 am
BR Member

The initial release is when I started playing.
In this version, there isn't landing lag to up-b's yet, so Marth can safely recovery on and off-stage.
If Marth is looking to grab the ledge, Sonic should run off and down air, to bring Marth away, and homing attack after.
But, because Dair sends them diagonally upwards, it'll be a little easier for them to recover, which is why you have to homing attack.
Even if you miss the Dair, you can still do an upwards angled Light Dash Attack, which will hit the sweetspot on your opponent if they choose to stay on ledge, because the invincibility wont stay as long as it charges.
If Marth is going for above the stage, Sonic should stay on the ledge, wait for him and ledgehop nair or bair him, because that way, Marth can't go to the ledge even if he didn't
want to, and I can jump up and cover the space above and behind me with Nair and Bair respectively. These moves are easily avoided however, if Marth is really high. Which then, you could do a springed aerial and try hit him.

Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:49 am
SSF2 Developer

Quote:
I'd keep SSF2 characters like how they are now in 0.9b for beta,
but make alot more stages that are perfect for competitive gameplay, as there is a limited choice of stages, if not, I'd rather make it so that shields are smaller
so that you'd see alot more shield breaks, because those are super rare.

A few questions related to what you said:

1. Do you consider Lunar Core (Hazards off) viable for competitive gameplay? Please explain your position. Address possible opposing arguments if you feel the need to.

2. Imagine that you are a tournament host AND also a developer! You are hosting a tournament, and are free to add as many competitively viable stages to the game as you would like to. Do you agree with the statement, "There should ideally be as many competitively viable Stages in a tournament Stage List as possible" (as in, if it were within your power to add 50 competitively viable stages to the game to use for your tournament, would you do so?) ? Please explain your position. Address possible opposing arguments if you feel the need to.

Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:10 pm
BR Member

1. When it comes to Lunar Core, it's a big stage that allows most people to camp. But, those who have multiple jumps can camp under the stage.
This, makes it so that nobody (except other characters that have multiple jumps) to attack them. So characters like Metaknight, Tails, Kirby and Jigglypuff would always win on this stage. Definitely not a Starter, but maybe a counterpick stage. If not, banned in singles and maybe a counterpick in doubles. Very few characters have moves that can go through platforms/hit through platforms or good recoveries. Meaning Metaknight can attack you from below with most aerials and can always Up-b through the non-solid parts of the stage. Tails, Kirby and Jigglypuff have pretty good mobility so they can always fade in and out and attack. Only characters that come off the top of my mind who can stop this are Naruto for his up-b, Megaman for Brick, Dark Hole and Metal Cutter, and Ichigo's Getsuga Tensho.

2. For this question, unless I'm understanding wrong, I wouldn't, because well, obviously I wouldn't do it just for my tournament and because I feel even though I said there needs to be alot more competitive stages, I don't mean way too much to the point where there will be so much stages, that you can't really ban mostly of what your opponent wants. But, maybe if the tournament had an increase on the amount of stages you can ban. But, Changing the ban size however, would make it so that you could cover more of the characters best options of a stage, meaning if your opponent knows say the Sonic vs Marth match-up, he knows me or any other Sonic main will try go for a bigger stage, so he'll ban FD/3DS, ToS, SV and PS3, leaving Sonic with very little stages to choose from. And most of the other stages, have platforms which benefit Marth alot, as he'll most likely hit a tippered F-smash as long as the I am on any platform. Other than that, I agree with that only enough to make the stagelist increase by not as much as 50, but maybe around the amount of competitive stages in Project M. I think that too little stages is a bad thing, and too many is another bad thing. But around at least 15 instead of 12.

Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:12 pm
SSF2 Developer

Thank you for your responses. Please wait shortly as we handle your application.

Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:05 pm
 [ 8 posts ]