The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 6:14 am

[ 339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 23  Next
X Tournament Series: The Meta Thread 
BR Member

MGN Username: Doq
Currently Playing: one of thousands of variations of Solitaire
Waifu: Es
tW|Sorabotics wrote:
Did the most recent Hypest Bi-Weekly get tallied and if so do round robin sets count towards score? Because I won all of those sets 2-0 lol

I did not count Hypest 3 because of the lack of entrants / player:dq ratio.
ZERO_OR wrote:
I think it would be best to limit the amount of Marth players while also at the same time try to see if you can see their skill. If they're not good at playing Marth than probably prevent them from playing the character or not let them enter the tournament.

However, make it what you want to happen.
Phoenix Wright wrote:
imo, if someone wants to use a character they should.

But, if you want to go down this road, I'm going to refer you to Sirlin's book on Playing to Win, specifically this article. The real question is does Marth dominate the tournament and win?

See, the problem is that everybody plays Marth. Even I play Marth to an extent. There were first-time X tournament entrants in X3. As far as I know, every single one of them plays Marth. While I'm not entirely for banning Marth, if it doesn't happen there may be a 20XX revolution before Beta where Marth (and possibly Meta Knight) would be the only viable characters, with a few stragglers such as Fox and Link.

What if Marth did get banned? That is what I want to know, and what I plan to find out, be it X4 or otherwise. Likely it'll just be another qualifier, as I usually host those to run experiments.

Honestly limiting them wouldn't be an option due to literally everybody having a pocket Marth or a main Marth.

Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:01 pm
YIM WWW
BR Member

MGN Username: Jammy
noooo
no

don't ban marth

for one my falcon bodies pocket marths

and two: how many marths were there in top8?
- no marth mains, and 3 people who sometimes play marth (Kyoz, Kylos and AsianPianist)
I would include SS but I don't think he played marth this tourney

marth is not dominating the tournament, therefore he is not a substantially large problem imo

Youtube         Twitch

<insert giant anime gif here>

Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:13 am

MGN Username: SageHarpuiaJDJ
Currently Playing: The game of Life
Waifu: Beruka from Fates
^Pretty much this.

And I think by now people should be used to fighting him. It's not like he's completely unstoppable or god tier. He's just annoying when he's not used properly. Hell, Narutard was considered more annoying before Marf raided a whole tourney.

Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:57 am

Currently Playing: SSF2, SSB, SSBM
Sage wrote:
^Pretty much this.

And I think by now people should be used to fighting him. It's not like he's completely unstoppable or god tier. He's just annoying when he's not used properly. Hell, Narutard was considered more annoying before Marf raided a whole tourney.

OMG Sage now you are starting to hate Naruto?

Yeah I just don't like people who pull bad characters that they haven't even polished or try to work on.

Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:39 pm

MGN Username: Zalozis Zemsis
Currently Playing: Gundam Wing: Endless Dual | Melty Blood: Actress Again Current Code | Super Smash Bros. Brawl
It's just people relying on high-tier character buffs. Nothing new in fighting games.

Pretty much everyone who pockets Marth have zero idea of how to handle projectiles too. Pocket Marths are sub-par with him, and can't compare to real Marth mains that understand his neutral game. And just because we see a lot of Marths in tourney doesn't mean anything if he never performs good in them.

Naruto is just lame because of zoning. People who can't comprehend good fundamentals rely on him to much.

Everyone also seems to have a pocket Link, or rely on him to make up for a lack of experience. They're really aren't any true Link mains learn aren't that study all of his tactics.

Luigi Movement, Cancel, Tech, etc.
YouTube Video:
SSF2 Google Drive
". . . Emphasis . . . of players helping one-another"

Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Currently Playing: All smash games, pokemon
lol there's kylos...... i'd like to hope my link isn't too horrible either...

Mains:ImageImage :fox: ? :zelda:?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWPfLs ... BiEiGXBaQg

Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:25 pm

MGN Username: Game-spidr
Currently Playing: Russian Roulette
Waifu: Spiders
Ive pretty much adapted to marth so whatever

Ichigo combo video
YouTube Video:

Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:36 pm

Who do you guys think are the top 5 pocketed characters?

Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:30 pm

MGN Username: Nstinct
Currently Playing: Smash Bros. 4 3DS, Super Smash Flash 2
ZERO_OR wrote:
Who do you guys think are the top 5 pocketed characters?

This is from my experience in PUGs (IRC) and Pubs, but I think most everyone would agree:

Marth
DK
Link
Ichigo
Samus

If it were just PUGs I'd replace Samus with Fox.

Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:55 pm

MGN Username: Zalozis Zemsis
Currently Playing: Gundam Wing: Endless Dual | Melty Blood: Actress Again Current Code | Super Smash Bros. Brawl
For "Level 1" players (No defensive game exist. Haven't really learned the game or fundamentals yet)
- Kirby
- Link
- Samus
- Mega Man
- Sora

Pretty much zoning characters because they don't really know how to fight up close. Sora has an auto-combo move that does big damage, fast smashes to abuse because of c-stick and a decent recovery. Kirby, Sometimes.

Level 2 (Understands the basics, but rolls/spot-dodge too much with many failed grab attempts. Can't adapt to new/advance tactics)
DK - "I spam dash-attack and Utlit. When they're far, I charge Giant Punch, then boom. . . I miss. Let's try again. . ."
Naruto - Spams all clone special-move. When they're close, braindead dash-attack into Utilt combos endlessly.
Link - The same as level 1, BUT, they spam roll/spot-dodge Spin-Attack and rely on it way too much.
Marth - Never dashing. Spamming side+B at mid-range, Fsmash or Ftilt when they're closer, and Utilt/Uspecial when above.

Can't think of a solid fifth. There's Captain Falcons with Raptor Boost spam/ Lloyds that abuse lagless aerials from landing. Black Mages with no real thought process. Goku's who spam Ki-blast and Ftilt (because that move is fast and kills at a retarded 110% or earlier) And Ichigos who spam Dash-Attack, Utilt, and other fast moves. Pretty much a tie between all of those.

Level 3 (knowledgeable competitive players - skill varies, but understands the fundamental and the use of techniques. . . They know what and to abuse)
Marth - "I don't want to lose this set, so. . . *Dolphin Slash out of everything*"
Fox - "Are they slow than Fox? Go 20XX. Are they a light-weight? Up-smash is the answer. Versus a non-swordsman? This will bairly even be a challenging match."
DK - "It's online, so I am safe from chain-throws. Time to spam Utilt > Uair."
Sheik - "Trying to use like this Melee Sheik > Fails miserably > Begins hiding behind shield to grab"
Meta Knight - "Nair and I don't care if it doesn't work."

Luigi Movement, Cancel, Tech, etc.
YouTube Video:
SSF2 Google Drive
". . . Emphasis . . . of players helping one-another"

Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:15 am
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
Zalozis wrote:
For "Level 1" players (No defensive game exist. Haven't really learned the game or fundamentals yet)
- Kirby
- Link
- Samus
- Mega Man
- Sora

Pretty much zoning characters because they don't really know how to fight up close. Sora has an auto-combo move that does big damage, fast smashes to abuse because of c-stick and a decent recovery. Kirby, Sometimes.

Level 2 (Understands the basics, but rolls/spot-dodge too much with many failed grab attempts. Can't adapt to new/advance tactics)
DK - "I spam dash-attack and Utlit. When they're far, I charge Giant Punch, then boom. . . I miss. Let's try again. . ."
Naruto - Spams all clone special-move. When they're close, braindead dash-attack into Utilt combos endlessly.
Link - The same as level 1, BUT, they spam roll/spot-dodge Spin-Attack and rely on it way too much.
Marth - Never dashing. Spamming side+B at mid-range, Fsmash or Ftilt when they're closer, and Utilt/Uspecial when above.

Can't think of a solid fifth. There's Captain Falcons with Raptor Boost spam/ Lloyds that abuse lagless aerials from landing. Black Mages with no real thought process. Goku's who spam Ki-blast and Ftilt (because that move is fast and kills at a retarded 110% or earlier) And Ichigos who spam Dash-Attack, Utilt, and other fast moves. Pretty much a tie between all of those.

Level 3 (knowledgeable competitive players - skill varies, but understands the fundamental and the use of techniques. . . They know what and to abuse)
Marth - "I don't want to lose this set, so. . . *Dolphin Slash out of everything*"
Fox - "Are they slow than Fox? Go 20XX. Are they a light-weight? Up-smash is the answer. Versus a non-swordsman? This will bairly even be a challenging match."
Sheik - "Trying to use like this Melee Sheik > Fails miserably > Begins hiding behind shield to grab"

Yay I'm a level 3 Marth

Youtube: NinjaLobsterStudios
Stream: twitch.tv/ninjalobster

Click to expand thumbnail

Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:14 am

Zalozis wrote:
- Kirby
- Link
- Samus
- Mega Man
- Sora

I do the Naurto into up tilt, but I don't do it like brain dead or just use it like I can do it forever. I try to convert that into other combos.

The DK chain chain throw thing online is not very true unless their is severe input lag on the grabbers part.
@Phoenix
My friends are also like that as well.

Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:17 am
BR Member

MGN Username: Sorabotics
Currently Playing: SSBM and SSF2
Zalozis wrote:
- Kirby
- Link
- Samus
- Mega Man
- Sora

For the fifth character in level 2, I would offer Lloyd up as a contestant. They're in the air? Up-B into whatever aerial makes sense for their DI. They're recovering? F-smash and SideB. They're across the stage? DownB and spam double Nspec.

Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:46 am

tW|Sorabotics wrote:
Zalozis wrote:
- Kirby
- Link
- Samus
- Mega Man
- Sora

For the fifth character in level 2, I would offer Lloyd up as a contestant. They're in the air? Up-B into whatever aerial makes sense for their DI. They're recovering? F-smash and SideB. They're across the stage? DownB and spam double Nspec.

This is so true.

Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:27 pm

Currently Playing: Patty-cake
Zalozis wrote:
- Kirby
- Link
- Samus
- Mega Man
- Sora

Lol, best post ever.

Naruto deserves to be in level 1 more than spamus. When level 1 players first see that Naruto is playable they just cream themselves and when the find out about clone throw and Rasengan Shuriken it's all ogre then.

Zelda could be level 2 as well with her mindless combos, great recovery, and numerous kill moves.

WelfareWednesday wrote:
Why should it be better? And who's asking for a huge nerf?
ProjectBrawl7 wrote:
Nobody is asking for a nerf, the SSF2 did it...

Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:14 pm
 [ 339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 23  Next