The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 4:25 pm

[ 8 posts ] 
SSF2 Beta Competitive Ruleset Discussion 

MGN Username: Vega
Currently Playing: The Beta
Discuss the ruleset, and give thoughts on what could be added or changed. This does not include stage lists. If you want to talk about stages, go to my stage thread:
https://forums.mcleodgaming.com/viewtop ... 27&t=44862

Can someone be so kind as to post the official ruleset for Beta, for reference?

Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:07 am
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
Thanks for making this thread: it's important to talk about.

I think the people here who TO would give better ruleset with regards to lag and connection problems, so I won't talk about that. These are the proposed clauses I'd put in a ruleset.

Stalling Clause
Stalling is banned and will result in the current game being forfeited. Stalling includes:

Continuing infinite combos or chaingrabs past 300%
Use of any glitch that enables infinite air stalling (MegaMan's up-B interrupt glitch in v1.0.1, v1.0.0) to reach locations unreachable by other characters for purposes of stalling

I don't think scrooging has been shown to be a problem, so I don't see a reason to ban it. Additionally, AFAIK there haven't been any freeze or invincibility glitches (and even the MM up-B glitch was patched), so I see no reason to have those clauses. (To be honest, there aren't even any infinite combos or chaingrabs with the exception of wall combos.)

Other rules:

Suicide Clause
If the game ends with a suicide move (Bowser's side-B, Kirby's fthrow and bthrow or even uthrow, Bandana Dee's fthrow, etc.), the result screen determines the winner. However, if the game goes to sudden death, the initiator of the move wins automatically.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:16 pm

I feel like the only things that need to be added for SSF2 at the moment besides a connection clause/ruling, and maybe a suicide rule are set in stone. Questions could be had for 3 stock but 100% 4 stock needs testing 1st.

Singles
4 Stock OR 3 Stock
8 Minutes
[Timeout = lower percent wins, if tied, 1 stock 3 minute tiebreaker]
[insert rule about connection issues]
[insert rule about stalling]
[insert rule about suicide clause, though Samurai's makes a lotta sense]

Starters (whatever they are, RPS/coin flip into 1-2-1 bans)
CP's (whatever they are, x bans, winner pick char, loser char, loser stage)

Doubles
4 Stock
8 Minutes
Share Stock legal
[Timeout = lower percent wins, if tied, 1 stock 3 minute tiebreaker]
[insert rule about connection issues]
[insert rule about stalling]
[insert rule about suicide clause, though Samurai's makes a lotta sense]

Starters (whatever they are, RPS/coin flip into 1-2-1 bans)
CP's (whatever they are, x bans, winner pick char, loser char, loser stage)

not too much to add, don't think anything's controversial cept for number of stocks tbh.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:57 pm

MGN Username: Vega
Currently Playing: The Beta
Will there be the possibility of limiting Tails's (soon to be) dominant camping, scrooging and stalling ability with his gliding maneuver?

Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:54 pm

I don't see a reason to do anything other than the regular no stalling rules? like worse comes to worse you have the match saved to show TO's in case of any stalling. Air camping alone isn't punish worthy or needs to be restricted this early.

Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:14 am

MGN Username: Jaxler
Currently Playing: Chibi-Robo!
Subbing Clause:

Players cannot sub in for an inactive or absent player (after checking in) once the tournament has begun. If subbing must occur before a tournament begins, reseed the bracket appropriately.

You can point fingers at me for running into oreo twice in losers after he subbed in, but subbing in for absent players is still unhealthy. Low-level players who are looking to play opponents of similar skill levels in losers (so they can improve/get better) are going to get really frustrated when a top-level player pops in to loser's round 1 and wipes the floor with them. If you are going to play in bracket, show up on time and check in. No exceptions.

GO WATCH MY STREAM:
twitch.tv/heyitsjaxler

Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:19 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
That's not a clause you put in a ruleset, it's a method of running tournaments: I don't think a competitive ruleset's "purview" really lies in the exact way brackets work.

In my opinion, you should forfeit a game that you don't show up on time for, and then go to losers. In losers, you can show up or forfeit that too and drop out of the tournament. Players have no "right" to play opponents of equal skill level: the entire bracket system is predicated on the highest-seeded playing the lowest-seeded. I think it messes up seeding to replace players, but having players forfeit their games doesn't do that.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:24 pm

MGN Username: Jaxler
Currently Playing: Chibi-Robo!
Yeah, this is probably more in the realm of TO's running their brackets, but the practice in and of itself still bothers me. Like if you are perpetually late to tournaments, at some point it has to fall on you and not the TO to sub you into someone else's spot.

GO WATCH MY STREAM:
twitch.tv/heyitsjaxler

Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:05 pm
 [ 8 posts ]