The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 1:08 pm

[ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
Yoshi 

SyroxM wrote:
Hey guys, so I was wondering if anyone would be interested on video guides about covering the advanced techs with Yoshi. also, I found this glitch when you do Yoshi's down-B right as you get above a platform. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvP9xGY ... e=youtu.be

Found that glitch as well, I posted it a day or two ago in the bugs thread. Sucks cause it's a actually useful technique if it wasn't glitched :P.

Now that you mention it, I made a Yoshi platform tech vid for 0.9a, although platform dashing was removed from the transition to 0.9a to b. The other techniques are still good.
YouTube Video:

There are a ton of other techniques, so feel free to share 'em. Although I'm personally trying to work on my approach game with Yoshi. All my time practicing vs cpu has given me enough practice with his advanced techs, but not enough human opponents to try new things out :(.

Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:35 pm

itahoharusa wrote:
There are a ton of other techniques, so feel free to share 'em. Although I'm personally trying to work on my approach game with Yoshi. All my time practicing vs cpu has given me enough practice with his advanced techs, but not enough human opponents to try new things out :(.

Once online comes through I can teach you on how to approach with Yoshi. I play competitive melee and have beaten players like Darkatma and Pikachad, So I do know some things about the game. :P

Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:54 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: KarmaPilcrow
Currently Playing: the waiting game
Waifu: Furry trash.
Wow, a lot more people main them than I thought. This either means that I have more to work with or my reputation as a character-hipster is ruiiiiined :p

Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:06 pm

MGN Username: ShadowYoshi360
Currently Playing: SSF2 Beta, Pokemon Moon, SSB4, Mario Kart 7
Waifu: Makoto (Blazblue)
I just had to make an account after 9b came out :).
Yoshi hasn't changed much since 9a which disappointed me on Day 1 of release, but I've come to appreciate it now since I already enjoyed Yoshi a lot before.
Up aerial is not a very good kill move anymore, but it has become a staple of Yoshi's combo game now, which is good. At low percents, it can combo into forward aerial and can combo into more up airs and occasionally neutral air or back air at higher percentages.
The new egg mechanics make Egg throw easier to combo out of; forward smash will hit most of the time and some aerials can also connect most of the time.
Yoshi's smashes are all still good for getting K.O.s and his forward aerial has always been one of my favorite off-stage K.O. moves and that remains unchanged.
In a future update, the only thing that I wish for is for Yoshi to have faster dashing speed like in Brawl and Melee. He's not horribly slow here, but it seems too...average. I'd prefer for Yoshi to be as fast as, say Black Mage or Marth. At least he's very fast in the air.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:24 pm

I think u-air has become a better 'kill move' in a way because it's so easy to combo it with itself. On most of the cast I can easily get 5-6 u-airs in a row and kill them by star KO. It's much easier to hit a u-air close to the top of the screen then it was in .9a, because getting a u-air on stage wasn't likely to combo into another u-air. Due to the falling speed it seems every character has some sort of u-air or u-tilt juggle now.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:30 pm

MGN Username: Nstinct
Currently Playing: Smash Bros. 4 3DS, Super Smash Flash 2
Saikyoshi wrote:
Wow, a lot more people main them than I thought. This either means that I have more to work with or my reputation as a character-hipster is ruiiiiined :p

In 0.9a I kind of changed my mains from Sora, Ness, and Yoshi to Yoshi/Sora and Ness. Plus there's a reason I have "How to train your Yoshi" in my sig ;)

As others have said, Yoshi hasn't changed much. I don't mind since Yoshi feels good to me, this is the best Smash Yoshi. Melee Yoshi is decent, but AmSa works incredibly hard and has played top guys for awhile. I hated Melee Yoshi and Ssf2 Yoshi is obviously trying to be solid and that has him in my list of mains.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:03 pm

MGN Username: gEmssbguy13
Currently Playing: Smash Bros, FNaF, Undertale, GMod, Delver, Xenoblade, ect...
Jaguar3600 wrote:
I just had to make an account after 9b came out :).
Yoshi hasn't changed much since 9a which disappointed me on Day 1 of release, but I've come to appreciate it now since I already enjoyed Yoshi a lot before.
Up aerial is not a very good kill move anymore, but it has become a staple of Yoshi's combo game now, which is good. At low percents, it can combo into forward aerial and can combo into more up airs and occasionally neutral air or back air at higher percentages.
The new egg mechanics make Egg throw easier to combo out of; forward smash will hit most of the time and some aerials can also connect most of the time.
Yoshi's smashes are all still good for getting K.O.s and his forward aerial has always been one of my favorite off-stage K.O. moves and that remains unchanged.
In a future update, the only thing that I wish for is for Yoshi to have faster dashing speed like in Brawl and Melee. He's not horribly slow here, but it seems too...average. I'd prefer for Yoshi to be as fast as, say Black Mage or Marth. At least he's very fast in the air.

You kinda have your logic on uair reversed.
NOW, it's a kill move. Before it was a combo move.

His air speed it too good, I say he's literally a hard counter for Samus just because of how well he can chase her down.

itahoharusa wrote:
I think u-air has become a better 'kill move' in a way because it's so easy to combo it with itself. On most of the cast I can easily get 5-6 u-airs in a row and kill them by star KO. It's much easier to hit a u-air close to the top of the screen then it was in .9a, because getting a u-air on stage wasn't likely to combo into another u-air. Due to the falling speed it seems every character has some sort of u-air or u-tilt juggle now.

It's also probably due to the fact his utilt was sped up too, as most utilts/uairs/usomething.

Oh yeah, I was wrong about dair. IT'S AWESOME.

Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:27 am

His dash attack was greatly improved. I v0.9a it had way too much cooldown time. They also removed rising egg throws which I miss.

Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:32 am

MGN Username: Zalozis Zemsis
Currently Playing: Gundam Wing: Endless Dual | Melty Blood: Actress Again Current Code | Super Smash Bros. Brawl
I'm almost certain Yoshi can still dash immediately when DJC onto a platform. If you DJC any of his aerials before the hitbox comes out, he gets zero frames of landing-lag. I don't see much of a difference between last and current demo Yoshi DJC tech. Unless of I'm doing something else, but it feels just as great in both demos.

Luigi Movement, Cancel, Tech, etc.
YouTube Video:
SSF2 Google Drive
". . . Emphasis . . . of players helping one-another"

Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:15 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: KarmaPilcrow
Currently Playing: the waiting game
Waifu: Furry trash.
How good are uncharged eggs as an approach-disruptor? I often use them in conjunction with his jab-jab-dash combo, but I'm not sure if it's efficient.

Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:55 pm

Zalozis wrote:
I'm almost certain Yoshi can still dash immediately when DJC onto a platform. If you DJC any of his aerials before the hitbox comes out, he gets zero frames of landing-lag. I don't see much of a difference between last and current demo Yoshi DJC tech. Unless of I'm doing something else, but it feels just as great in both demos.

Just tested it, yeah it still works! However it doesn't work with the old input I used, so that's why I thought it didn't. I used to just DJC an aerial, and right when I landed on the platform, press and hold right (once), and I would enter a dash. I figured out with your post that I actually have to use a dash key to get the same results.

Coincidentally I only added the dash key to my controls very recently in order to get faster platform drops by using dash + down. It is rather useful with Yoshi, because you can do some quick stuff like DJC aerials onto a platform into platform drop. If you're super fast you could probably sneak a u-air or other aerial as well.

A useful Yoshi trick I found recently is f-tilt -> grab. Makes f-tilt much more useful, because f-tilt usually combos into itself or dashing u-tilt. But if they DI away, dashing u-tilt becomes unsafe. Yoshi's grab counters this situation. You can then u-throw into air juggles from then.

EDIT:

Saikyoshi wrote:
How good are uncharged eggs as an approach-disruptor? I often use them in conjunction with his jab-jab-dash combo, but I'm not sure if it's efficient.

They're alright to use if you aim the egg on yourself to protect yourself. Honestly I think the delay is too long and leaves you way too vulnerable however, and it is better to be more mobile and protect yourself with active hitboxes w/ attacks. I sometimes use dashing egg throws, but I've stopped using them in neutral situations because I get punished way too often from it instead.

Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:59 pm

MGN Username: Weedy
Currently Playing: SSF2 0.9b
DJC Uair, DJC Nair will be extremely helpful for Yoshi.
His Double jump armor absorbs the opponents attack's knockback and countering with Nair.
For the approaching option DJC Bair and Egg throw are good.
edgeguard option, Dspecial to grab the ledge and Fair.

but, His kill power is pretty low, his tier is maybe a mid tier I guess.

I hope Parry system will comeback. I want to use Yoshi like aMSa :smile:

Weedy-DK (Korea)
Jellybean-Tails (Korea)

Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:18 am
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
If you want another gimmick to add to your Yoshi collection, egg roll to hit them offstage. Keep rolling, and when you roll offstage the egg will cancel and you can do any action immediately (WARNING!!! If you did not have your second jump when you turned into an egg, you will not have it when you pop out of the egg!!! AND, if you start egg roll too close you will stay an egg offstage = bad). So jump and fair them but don't DJC D:
If you eat their jump, they are going to have a hard time coming back from this. This is not unlike Diddy Kong's dash attack offstage into dair in Project M, it isn't guaranteed but if they don't DI properly (and who DI's egg roll?) they will get hit. If you have low percent you might also armour a counterattack then fair.

I have done this on a competent human, so it works at least once ;)
3:39 is an example of this, he doesn't jump into it so he was able to meteor cancel.
YouTube Video:

Youtube: NinjaLobsterStudios
Stream: twitch.tv/ninjalobster

Click to expand thumbnail

Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:28 am

MGN Username: Shine!
Currently Playing: Minecraft Bedrock & Roblox
Waifu: All guys from Free!
How to egg roll work? I use it and I just jump in the air, become an egg, fall, and jump out of the egg.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:09 pm
YIM

Shine! wrote:
How to egg roll work? I use it and I just jump in the air, become an egg, fall, and jump out of the egg.

You cancel it by edge canceling or by pressing your special button. So if you hold side-B you'll automatically cancel it, which is what I'm assuming you are doing.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:38 pm
 [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next