The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 8:44 pm

Forum rules

DO NOT POST YOUR OWN UNFINISHED GAMES YOU'VE CREATED HERE!

To post about your own projects go here: viewforum.php?f=41

[ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
[MP] Mighty No. 9 
Site Moderator

Waifu: Trollbean
Pope Krillin IV wrote:
Nintendo had a legal case due to Donkey Kong, the only reason they won is because King Kong was something something so then Nintendo copyrighted DK or something. I think it was something to do with public domain. (??)

EDIT: Yep I looked it up, they only won because Universal had never trademarked King Kong and he was on public domain. My point being the case would be extremely similiar, only Megaman is trademarked.

You're not hearing me here. The issue in that was that his name was Kong.

If Deek had been named, say, "Steven", Universal would've had no ground. They can't copyright the concept of a big money climbing buildings and s***.

This is the same situation. Capcom doesn't own a copyright on Inafune designed characters that run to the right, shoot, and steal powers from bosses.

Think about the countless boring Call of Duty clones on the market. Don't you think if Activision thought they could get some more money from those, they would?

Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:43 am

TerminX wrote:
Pope Krillin IV wrote:
Nintendo had a legal case due to Donkey Kong, the only reason they won is because King Kong was something something so then Nintendo copyrighted DK or something. I think it was something to do with public domain. (??)

EDIT: Yep I looked it up, they only won because Universal had never trademarked King Kong and he was on public domain. My point being the case would be extremely similiar, only Megaman is trademarked.

You're not hearing me here. The issue in that was that his name was Kong.

If Deek had been named, say, "Steven", Universal would've had no ground. They can't copyright the concept of a big money climbing buildings and s***.

This is the same situation. Capcom doesn't own a copyright on Inafune designed characters that run to the right, shoot, and steal powers from bosses.

Think about the countless boring Call of Duty clones on the market. Don't you think if Activision thought they could get some more money from those, they would?

I was under the impression it was about the character and not the name. Plus, I never even mentioned gameplay styles, which you seem to love to dwell on. (Also, Call of Duty wasn't the first modern tactical shooter bud)

Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:46 am

Pope Krillin IV wrote:
Also, do we really need another Megaman style game?
http://i.imgur.com/HtxSX0S.jpg

Please f*** off.

The creator of Mega Man is making a new Mega Man game. If that's not something that excites you, fine. Move on. Don't f*** dare complain about it, though.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:55 am

k-bizzle wrote:
Pope Krillin IV wrote:
Also, do we really need another Megaman style game?
http://i.imgur.com/HtxSX0S.jpg

Please f*** off.

The creator of Mega Man is making a new Mega Man game. If that's not something that excites you, fine. Move on. Don't f*** dare complain about it, though.

I'm not complaining, I think it'll be a great game and I'm a big fan of Megaman. Just a point to throw out there that there are indeed a metric f*** tonne of Megaman games even thought people don't often talk about them that much.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:57 am

A lot of Mega Man games have been made, yeah. None are being made now.

Sorry for not living in the past.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:03 pm

TerminX wrote:
Reix wrote:
TerminX wrote:
I wonder if Capcom will hurriedly start the development of Mega Man 11 after this Kickstarter succeeds...

HAHAHAHA.
Like they started development after Street Fighter X Megaman?
A game, I remind you, they didn't even make. They just publicized a fan game.

What? Those two aren't even remotely related.

Street Fighter X Mega Man was something they had power over. "Let us take some credit for it or we'll shut you down"

At the moment Mighty No. 9 is at $450,000 in 14 hours. I guarantee Capcom's gonna see that and want in on that money.

My point was they sorta released a Megaman, it was a pretty big deal, and people were like 'OMGMEGAMAN,' but we still haven't heard anything about a new Megaman, despite interest in the series still being as high as ever.

Commission info - http://reiforce.deviantart.com/journal/

Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:43 pm
Site Moderator

Pope Krillin IV wrote:
I was under the impression it was about the character and not the name.
It's about a big monkey named Kong. It's about the Monkey Kong. I didn't mention that him being a monkey was important because I thought it was incredibly obvious jesus dude

Pope Krillin IV wrote:
Plus, I never even mentioned gameplay styles, which you seem to love to dwell on.
Because that's where the game's similarities are. If Mighty No. 9 was a 3D collectathon/hack n' slash with characters designed by /literally anyone except Keiji Inafune/, why would anyone compare it to Mega Man?

Pope Krillin "IV wrote:
(Also, Call of Duty wasn't the first modern tactical shooter bud)
Yes, but it's the one everyone imitates because it's one of the best selling games of all time. Are you dumb?

Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:05 pm
Site Admin

Definitely going to donate without a single doubt.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:13 pm

TerminX wrote:
Pope Krillin IV wrote:
I was under the impression it was about the character and not the name.
It's about a big monkey named Kong. It's about the Monkey Kong. I didn't mention that him being a monkey was important because I thought it was incredibly obvious jesus dude
It's not just that he had Kong at the end of his name, it was also because he was a giant gorilla who climbed at the top of big buildings with kidnapped ladies that was obviously based on King Kong.

Pope Krillin IV wrote:
Plus, I never even mentioned gameplay styles, which you seem to love to dwell on.
Because that's where the game's similarities are. If Mighty No. 9 was a 3D collectathon/hack n' slash with characters designed by /literally anyone except Keiji Inafune/, why would anyone compare it to Mega Man?
Did you see the f*** character design? My point isn't that you can say 'oh it's a run and jump action japanese side scroller game so it's gonna get sued' but that the character design is exactly the same and the premise for not just the gameplay style, but also the context is ridiculously similiar. I don't think there will be a lawsuit, just that there is more to it then you are trying to make out.

Pope Krillin "IV wrote:
(Also, Call of Duty wasn't the first modern tactical shooter bud)
Yes, but it's the one everyone imitates because it's one of the best selling games of all time. Are you dumb?
This is ridiculously stupid. You missed the entire point of what I said. Not to mention "Mario popularised platformers, everyone other platform game is obviously copying him because it's on of the biggest selling games of all time. Don't you think if Nintendo could get some money for that they would? Are you dumb?

Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:15 pm

I want to donate but I only have the money for a new computer and GTA V right now. ;__;

Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:16 pm
Site Moderator

Pope Krillin IV wrote:
It's not just that he had Kong at the end of his name, it was also because he was a giant gorilla who climbed at the top of big buildings with kidnapped ladies that was obviously based on King Kong.
Yeah. That's right. In that case, they had a lawsuit, and they lucked out because of whatever it was that was going on with the copyright at the time. However, the issue was that it was NAMED Kong, not that it was similar to Kong. If it was a giant gorilla who climbed to the top of big buildings and kidnapped ladies and was obviously based on King Kong and his name was Steven, he could be considered a hilarious ripoff of King Kong but no actual copyright infringement occurred, unless Universal copyrighted the concept of giant gorillas who climb to the top of big buildings with kidnapped ladies. Get it?

Pope Krillin IV wrote:
Did you see the f*** character design? My point isn't that you can say 'oh it's a run and jump action japanese side scroller game so it's gonna get sued' but that the character design is exactly the same and the premise for not just the gameplay style, but also the context is ridiculously similiar. I don't think there will be a lawsuit, just that there is more to it then you are trying to make out.
Yes, of course they're similar. They're both Inafune's designs, after all. But we're not arguing about whether or not they're similar, we're arguing about whether a lawsuit could potentially happen. It's a giant gorilla named Steven.

Additionally the character design can't be "exactly the same" unless it's exactly the same character you big dummy

Pope Krillin "IV wrote:
This is ridiculously stupid. You missed the entire point of what I said. Not to mention "Mario popularised platformers, everyone other platform game is obviously copying him because it's on of the biggest selling games of all time. Don't you think if Nintendo could get some money for that they would? Are you dumb?
You seem to keep getting louder here, but you're not understanding what I'm saying at all. Listen close now:

Activision owns Call of Duty, an extremely popular franchise in the "boring FPS" genre. In order to get in on that bubble, other publishers make essentially Call of Duty: But A Little Different Edition ("Medal of Honor", forward). If companies had the ability to sue over extreme similarities (first person shooting game with an emphasis on multiplayer but existing single player, modern war setting, gritty & realistic art style & color choice, etc), then Activision would be rolling in even more dosh Medal of Honor would never have been made.

Get it?

Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:04 pm

Oh my god. I can't even believe you are using Medal of Honor as an example of a Call of Duty clone. I... I can't...
W-What?

Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:14 pm

I think you are joking but in case you aren't, not only did Medal of Honor come first, but all the developers for the first COD came from the team that made Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. COD was essentially a clone of Medal of Honor. Are you f*** retarded?

Jesus, better stop derailing in any case. Game looks cool.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:18 pm

He meant the 2010 game.

This is what happens when you reboot s***.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:22 pm

Currently Playing: Smash for
I really like where this is going. This is exactly what Mega Man Legends 3 was suppose to be, a game with fan input.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:51 pm
 [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next