The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 9:55 pm

[ 9 posts ] 
web sites 

How do you make web sites like this? sorry if this is nooby.

PM,me to be friends.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:15 pm

Waifu: I'm married
Depends. If you have 30 hours, you can use notepad. If you've got 3, use Dreamweaver or something.

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:24 am
YIM WWW
Legendary Ghost

Start learning HTML first. It's the language which creates sites. There are many tools and tutorials out there for HTML. I'd recommend these:
Tutorial
http://www.w3schools.com/htmL/ <-These guys are great reference material when creating a site. Just go through the basics
Programs
Notepad <- Everyman's site creator. Just type the code and "Save As" while changing the file extension to ".html"
http://www.chami.com/html-kit/ <- Free HTML editor with nifty features like a list that pops up when you type in common HTML tags and autocomplete. It also has a preview window, so you don't have to open up a browser to test your site

The second part a website is of course, the webhost. There are a multitude of free sites out there, geocities, freewebs, etc. You can find them anywhere. There features are different, and most of them will embed advertising into your pages. If you want to pay for webhosting, you go to companies like 1&1, GoDaddy, DreamHost, and many more. Make sure when buying webspace, that you get a domain name as well. Most companies include that in the package, but it's best to check. Considering that you are just a basic user, I'd go with the most basic package. Shop around on the net and compare prices and features. See which one fits you best. As most people would say, Google is your friend. Do a search on stuff you need and you'll likely find it.

Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:54 pm

thank's you to I'm closer to having a website by the way is there a place to put up a website for free and is not @#$%(ex.free webs is not so good)

p.s. why people acting nicer to me ever since my post count went up?

PM,me to be friends.

Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:05 pm

Currently Playing: The Game
Hey! It's free, what more do you want? Most free stuff isn't exactly the best, except perhaps Ubuntu but I digress.

I've only had experience with geocities and cjb.net though, so if you've already tried those and didn't like them, I can't really help you any more buddy.

Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:09 pm

sorry but want mhite be a good site to host a website and forum.I think I misspelled and sorry if I seem like a @#$hole 10 year old like a lot of people on this site

PM,me to be friends.

Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:14 pm
Legendary Ghost

I highly doubt you'll get a free webhost that gives you a SQL database, so hosting your own forums might be a little tricky. The way around that? Use a free forum maker, and then link it from your website. Here's what I'd recommend doing:
Go here http://geocities.yahoo.com/
Make your free site and upload your stuff. You can post small technical questions in the Coder's Paradise. I'm sure many people here can help.
Then create your free forum. Any of these sites work
http://www.freeforums.org/ <-Runs phpBB3
http://www.forumotion.com/ <- This one let's you choose between phpBB3, phpBB2, Invision, and PunBB
After that have your home page hold a link to your free forum. Before you go through the effort of making a forum, maybe you want to consider a blog first. If you don't have that many people following what you do on your site (10 or less people). I wouldn't bother with a forum. I'd go with a blog instead, which you can create here.
www.blogger.com <-been around for years, very reliable
The choice is yours however, I'm not one to dictate your decisions. Hope this helped.

Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:00 pm

Currently Playing: The Game
I can vouch for freeforums.org

Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:05 am

Currently Playing: Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded (JP)
Le Punch wrote:
If you've got 3, use Dreamweaver or something.

There's a similar program called Nvu. I used it before I got Dreamweaver
http://net2.com/nvu/download.html
nicklee wrote:
thank's you to I'm closer to having a website by the way is there a place to put up a website for free and is not @#$%(ex.free webs is not so good)

p.s. why people acting nicer to me ever since my post count went up?

I found this really good one called byethost.com. On its free account, you get 5632 MB of web space, 50 MB of MySQL and php support so you can have forums(it'll even install phpbb3 for you), FTP(see below about FTP), no ads, and 204800 MB Bandwidth. This is unbelievable as far as the free plan goes(I myself use the free plan though hope to get its $7 per month unlimited plan with .com domain). Unfortunately, you don't get a free domain until you upgrade to there standard Monthly plan, and that only gives you a .info domain
http://www.byethost.com/free-hosting

FTP: File Transfer Protocol(as defined by wikipedia)
A standard network protocol used to exchange and manipulate files over a TCP/IP based network, such as the Internet. FTP is built on a client-server architecture and utilizes separate control and data connections between the client and server applications. Applications were originally interactive command-line tools with a standardized command syntax, but graphical user interfaces have been developed for all desktop operating systems in use today. FTP is also often used as an application component to automatically transfer files for program internal functions. FTP can be used with user-based password authentication or with anonymous user access.

What this pretty much means to anyone who wants to build a site is to send files(your webpage, downloads, images, etc.) from your computer to the server your site is on. To use FTP, you need an FTP client. IE has one built in. A very good one I use is called Firezilla ( http://filezilla-project.org/ ). If you have Firefox, you can get the add-on FireFTP. Remember, to use FTP you must have your host FTP hostname, your FTP username(usually the one your host gives you), and your account password for your host.

Mes Amis: show
BICURIOUS GEORGE
daniel
King Master X12
Neo_Fire_Sonic
Racerx52
Sora
Tycron
Tyli
yoh
Envoyez-moi un message pour être mon ami! Ha! That's French 4 Pm to be Friends

Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:05 am