The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 2:50 pm

[ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
If You Prefer v0.9b, Make A Case For It 

MGN Username: [BANNED]
Currently Playing: SSF2TAS
Yupia, this thread is for serious discussion. Stop making alts. If you're banned, you're banned.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:34 pm

MGN Username: TyranitarLord
Waifu: Pepsi-Man
I especially liked 9b because of how stupid the balance was. In beta, the characters that I used to find fun have completely lost their charm and are just boring messes. Also I only played the game for the online competitive and online in beta is somehow worst than in 9b.

Also, f*** port priority.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:12 pm
Site Admin

MGN Username: [TSON]
Currently Playing: with myself
Happyfrozenfire wrote:
You know, I really appreciate you clarifying and explaining those decisions that were made in the balance process. Sometimes, it feels like certain decisions are left completely unexplained, and I appreciate you taking the time to "fill us in."

While I understand your argument against using a positive difference between hitstun and selfstun regularly, I disagree with it. While it allows for "free" and "cookie cutter" combos out of certain moves in particular, it also allows for more combo freedom, as if most moves have this strength, more and more moves are combo options. In my opinion, a better policy would be to apply a higher hitstun than selfstun by default and equalize moves that end up being "free" combo setups, like Fox's shine, nair, and anything else that ends up being free.
Platform fighters like SSF2 will always have cookie cutter combos. For a lot of characters, it may be a throw, or a dair, or a jab, or a nair. Nonetheless, with more combo freedom, people are rewarded for more creative combos, which discourages them from using cookie cutter combos and encourages them to make their own combos.

Nonetheless, I understand your logic behind making this balancing decision, and I respect it, especially now that I understand the reasoning behind it.

Cookie cutter combos, while fun for the person in control, are not fun for the person on the receiving end if there are too many options. This is why people hate on Lloyd in 9b - because that's literally all he had. Even now, he only has a few frame-lock combos and people complain about them 100% of the time.

Equalizing the frame advantage also had the anticipated effect to allow shields to be somewhat useful against weaker attacks/less useful against powerful attacks. There were a lot of complaints that 9b shields were useless.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:13 am

MGN Username: [BANNED]
Currently Playing: SSF2TAS
Personally, the limited usefulness of shields is one of the things I like most about 9b. It discourages defensive play.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:40 am

MGN Username: KingPawn
Currently Playing: SSF2
Limited usage of shields can be replaced by running away or using projectiles to camp
examples of that include like tails camping in the air because he can do that and the opponent just being forced
the less usefulness of shields didn't really change the pace but overall 9b felt faster than beta, especially floaty matchups that take forever
Part of that may be because in beta a lot of characters can struggle to kill therefore leaving stocks to stay for a long time(prolific percent, anyone?)

Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:45 pm

MGN Username: WilE04
Currently Playing: A lot of games
Waifu: King Dedede
TyranitarLord wrote:
I especially liked 9b because of how stupid the balance was. In beta, the characters that I used to find fun have completely lost their charm and are just boring messes.

That’s why I dropped BM when Beta came out. I may prefer Beta, but sometimes I like going back to v0.9b just to have some fun with BM and Final Smashes.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:59 pm
 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2