The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 4:59 am

[ 6 posts ] 
My Application for Smash Flash Back Room 

MGN Username: MaskedShadow2017
Currently Playing: the game called "the struggle of life."
Waifu: Don't need one.
Name (aka Handle):
BlueFirebird A.K.A "The Wind Of Freedom"

How old are you?:

Which characters do you play in SSF2? Why do you play these characters? (Note: do not list characters that are not currently in the game):
I usually play with the following characters: :sonic: :goku: :fox: :captainfalcon: :tails: :pikachu: :link: and :marth: . Why I play these characters is because, I got curious about each character's unique of gameplay as I was bored with Sonic's gameplay style and decided to expand my metabase.

How much experience do you have with official Smash titles? (SSB64, Melee, Brawl. Include in this answer which characters you play/played.):
Smash 4: I have some knowledge of advanced competitive play. The characters I main are usually Sonic, Cpt. Falcon, Luigi, Link and Fox.

Super Smash Flash 2: I have lots of experience of this game due to playing it so long and I fully understand competitive play due to my experiences with other players. The mains I have for this game are the ones mentioned above in the "Characters I main in the SSF2" section.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Ok, so this game I have little experience with this game competitively but I do have an advanced knowledge for casual play. I usually main: :sonic: :luigi: :captainfalcon: :link: :fox: and :pikachu:

Super Smash Bros. Melee: Now for this game, I definitely have a complete understanding of both casual and competitive play styles. I usually main: :luigi:, :captainfalcon: , :link: :pikachu: and :fox:

Have you ever attended any Smash tournaments? If so, give some details about the tournament (number of participants, which games, etc). How well did you place?
No, I haven't attended any tournaments as of yet.

When did you start playing SSF2?
I started to play SSF2 when I was in 5th grade in 2009.

What is your favorite stage in SSF2? Explain.
My favorite stage would be Shadow Moses due to the fact that it gives tech advantages to both the opponent and the player as well as gives them an equal amount of fair play.

Who, in your opinion, should be placed first on the SSF2 tier list? Under competitive settings why would this character perform on a higher level than all others?
Meta Knight due to the fact that he has the most advantages in a brawl on both air and ground. On a competitive level, this can bring many competitive advantages to an experienced player such as mix-ups, recovery options, follow ups, everything.

Who, in your opinion, should be placed last on the SSF2 tier list? Under competitive settings why would this character perform on a lower level than all others?
Sora due to many reasons in which I will not explain all of them but here are just 3 of them. Okay so first off, he seems to lack recovery options which can be , competitively, a disadvantage because besides the Side-B-which would be the only option he would have- I don't see any other ways to recover. The second reason, I mean his combo game seems to be good but there has to be assets that give him more advantages that give him more of an "oomph" to his attacks and grabs, you know, to really get a feel for the character. The third and final reason is: I will say this: his dashing/ walk speed needs a little more work to. I mean, what's the point of trying to catch up with an opponent to attack or run away from an attack on a competitive level if you don't have the speed to catch them. And NO, I'm not saying to make his speed increase too much but just to the point the character could catch them.

If you could make only one change to SSF2 as it currently is, what would it be and why?
Hmm...It would be character development. Now why I would say this is that it seems to be needing more a unique essence to make it different than the other brawl titles I've seen.

What is your view on items in competitive play?
To be honest, I think it is all dependent on the item and the way it is used but, I wouldn't recommend the Smash Ball though.

Do you have or can you download Skype? You don't need a mic or webcam.
Yes, I can download Skype but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Why do you want to join the Smash Flash Back Room? What will you contribute? Why are you an exceptional applicant? Be as detailed as possible.
Okay as for why, I want to be able to be more of an asset to the community and more of a help than just a player that is a fan. Now, for what I will contribute: I could make trailers , clips full of content, or maybe some digital art since I have strong skills on the computer but it is LIMITED in a way. Why I think I would make an exceptional applicant is because of my enthusiasm for helping other people and maybe making a difference a little at a time.

Additional information (Include in this section anything relevant to your application. This could include links to videos of yourself playing.)
Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9Wctw ... C3EaaF3HyQ
Google Account: [email protected]
Facebook account name: Khalik Crook
Smashboards account: http://smashboards.com/members/wild-whirlwind.341443/

Attachments:
File comment: Greatest buzz beater acheived while playing against the computer ever.
Untitled Replay.2015-11-20.v0.9.1.1982.ssfrec [2.55 KiB]
Downloaded 59 times
File comment: Player 3- Me
OP.ssfrec [2.98 KiB]
Downloaded 45 times
File comment: I'm player 3 in this one.
Battle of the Falcons.ssfrec [1.89 KiB]
Downloaded 49 times

Last edited by MaskedShadow on Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:04 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: TSF|Cookies
Currently Playing: PM, Melee, Ultimate, Hollow Knight
Use the following stagelist to answer the questions below.

Starters
Battlefield
Final Destination/Nintendo 3DS
Yoshi´s Island
Smashville
Pokémon Stadium 3

Counterpicks
Tower of Salvation
WarioWare, Inc.
Dreamland
Castle Siege
Jungle Hijinx
Dracula´s Castle
Sky Sanctuary Zone

1.) What is Goku´s best and worst stage? Why?

2.) Imagine you are in a tournament, Bo3 set. You decided to go all Goku and meet an opposing Fox player. What stages would you strike for Game 1, and what stages would the Fox player strike? Why?

3.) Discuss the Goku vs. Fox MU. Make sure to take neutral, combo game, defensive options and offstage play into consideration and conclude with a MU ratio (e. g. 70-30 if Goku destroys Fox, and 45/55 if Fox has a slight advantage.

Be detailed in your responses.

Shoutouts to Harr for this sick player card!

Join Chibi Nation, the 20CR Discord for all aspiring Chibi-Robo mains!

Click to expand thumbnail

Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:12 am

TSF|Skailler wrote:
Use the following stagelist to answer the questions below.

Starters
Battlefield
Final Destination/Nintendo 3DS
Yoshi´s Island
Smashville
Pokémon Stadium 3

Counterpicks
Tower of Salvation
WarioWare, Inc.
Dreamland
Castle Siege
Jungle Hijinx
Dracula´s Castle
Sky Sanctuary Zone

1.) What is Goku´s best and worst stage? Why?

Goku's best stage would be Tower of Salvation. Why I say this is because Goku has more free space to attack and has more options to work with such as his Instant Transmission Kick (or UP-B) in the stage. This also can be a huge help with combos and follow ups and an example of this is Miracle--7's match against ProtonicShadow. They both knew that they could utilize the stage to Goku's advantage and counteract each other's strategic methods and as well as this, it mentally didn't alarm them too much about falling or the stage's disadvantages because they could either use the UP-B or just freaking float there if they had enough horizontal velocity but that would be stupid if the other player decided to spike them. But besides that, the stage utilizes both Goku's strengths and weaknesses.

Now for Goku's worst stage, it would have to be Castle Siege. Why I say this is he won't be able to attack as freely and openly as he would in the Tower of Salvation and he would have some problems. Now as for why I would say that is because, for Goku as a character, he would need as much space as possible to attack and using the defensive tactics such as an instant get-up and shield out of dashing, but have little to worry about when it comes to using his recovery. As well as this, the platforms could cause some problems in a follow up due to it cancelling his aerial attacks and one wrong move and you could be KO'D in one quick swoop due to his falling speed.

2.) Imagine you are in a tournament, Bo3 set. You decided to go all Goku and meet an opposing Fox player. What stages would you strike for Game 1, and what stages would the Fox player strike? Why?

The stages would I strike for Game 1 according to the following choices are: Castle Siege and Yoshi's Island.
This is because of the platform game and gives the opponent the advantage and knowing the Fox player, (s)he would probably uses them to combo and increase their options for both offensive and defensive tactics so I usually think to hinder their ability to use the platforms to their advantages and I also want to increase my chances as much as possible and although Fox's speed is great for follow ups and attack but when it comes to recovery, (s)he needs to have a certain timing to sweetspot on the stage's ledges so if you're close to the ledge, you could counter it no problem.

Now for the stages the Fox player would strike would be Final Destination/Nintendo 3DS and Smashville.
The player would probably know about Goku's advantages with the free space on the stage around him but he would also know Goku's possible disadvantages when it comes to speed in general and would want to utilize Fox's speed to their advantage in certain stages such as: WarioWare, Inc. and Pokemon Stadium 3. And since (s)he would know about the two character's attack differences, they would probably NOT strike a stage they would give them advantage due to their knowledge of both characters.

3.) Discuss the Goku vs. Fox MU. Make sure to take neutral, combo game, defensive options and offstage play into consideration and conclude with a MU ratio (e. g. 70-30 if Goku destroys Fox, and 45/55 if Fox has a slight advantage.

My MU ratio for this would be 45/55 and as for why, let's take a look at the main points:

When it comes to combo game, Fox definitely has the advantage here due to his optional follow ups from his Down-B and noticeably his U-Air, D-Air, and N-air. And while Goku does possess the power and the range, he doesn't have the necessary speed to necessarily combo him too much as Fox can quickly turn the tables with the speed he has to quickly rack up percentage. As for Goku, while the power does come in handy, again, he doesn't have enough speed or unpredictability as Fox does but if Goku used the Kaioken, he would be able to possibly catch up and possibly surpass Fox's combo game as long as the player doesn't rely on it too much and their percentage isn't too high. As for their grabs and throws in comparision: Fox's seems to have more of an advantage due to the fact that they can be followed up immediately since there is some lack of lag. Now Goku's grabs and throws seem to be more on power and range which can sometimes be helpful, but other times in certain situations such as following up with attacks and stuff, they're not too reliable.

Recovery options: Alright, here's where their falling speeds and their recovery options come into play. Goku has more of an advantage here than Fox. I mean, yeah, Fox's side B has the range but if you somehow miss the ledge or are not able to get one the stage, you will either: a) get in an inescapable combo situation or b) you fall off the stage losing the stock. As for Fox's Up-B, he lacks the range he needs unless you are somewhere near the stage but not too low to where you will end up messing up and falling to your death. And then there's the start up time and this is where Fox is at his most vulnerable for anything like an aerial attack or aerial special. For Goku, can just float back close to the ledge to get back on or float and then use the UP-B to get back on the stage but, there are disadvantages to this too. For example, if your opponent were to attack you during the float and you lack enough vertical or horizontal distance, there is a chance that even Up-B won't help you as much either. But besides this, Goku's falling speed is significantly slower than Fox's which could come to an advantage in teching and DI.

Defensive options: With his weight and falling speed combined with his recovery options, Goku is a hard character to KO and then there's also his Kaioken Aura, his down smash and down throw, which are great for stunning Fox momentarily for more time to either attack or run away. And then again, there is Fox's defensive options which is the Down-B, the Side-B, which both are great for recovery and hitstun which in turn allows for great defense against attacks and the Down-B protects you and projectiles that could be coming your way. And if you use your falling speed to your advantage, you could gain the first move on them as soon as you tech so there's advantages there. In comparison, however, Goku has the advantage in the defensive department.

Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:31 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
Same stagelist as above for all questions.

1. You're playing Marth in a tournament, and you come across a Falcon opponent. How do you imagine striking will go? In what order will you and your opponent strike stages, and why? Assume you strike first.

2. You lose game one on Smashville (not that this is what I think is the final stage for question 1, just a random stage). Where do you want to counterpick, and what do you think they will ban?

3. Analyze the Marth-Falcon matchup in detail, including neutral game, punish game, offstage game, and anything else. Conclude your analysis with a ratio much like the one you gave for Goku-Fox.

4. Out of the characters you listed in the "Characters I Play in SSF2" part of your app, which one do you feel has the best matchup vs. Falcon? Why? (No need to be as detailed as question 3, just your choice and a couple sentences of justification.)

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:36 pm

1. You're playing Marth in a tournament, and you come across a Falcon opponent. How do you imagine striking will go? In what order will you and your opponent strike stages, and why? Assume you strike first.

First, I think the order will either be: P1 goes first or P2 goes first depending on a coin toss. Then it will go: 1,2,1,2 order before each set.
As for stages I would strike it would be Battlefield and Yoshi´s Island. Why I would strike these stages is that if the player already knows the advantages of the space for his speed and possible techs and come from platforms as CF and Marth, I would need to make sure I ban the stages that he or she is possibly familiar with and somewhat pick a place where it would be more familiar to me than to the opponent.

Now my predictions for what stages the opponent would strike would DEFINITELY be Final Destination/Nintendo 3DS and Tower of Salvation.
And here's why: they would possibly know of Marth's full potential if I were to pick a stage with more space and the opponent would also know of Marth's edge guarding ability, which in this situation, would be good again a Falcon player who is trying to recover so they would try to minimize that possibility of Marth's edge guarding to be useful.

2. You lose game one on Smashville (not that this is what I think is the final stage for question 1, just a random stage). Where do you want to counterpick, and what do you think they will ban?
Where I would counterpick would be Sky Sanctuary Zone and where I think they will ban is either Dracula's Castle or Pokémon Stadium 3.

3. Analyze the Marth-Falcon matchup in detail, including neutral game, punish game, offstage game, and anything else. Conclude your analysis with a ratio much like the one you gave for Goku-Fox.

First the disadvantages of playing the characters:
Captain Falcon has problems with his accelerated falling speed (the second highest) and combined with his weight makes him vulnerable to combos and chain grabs. He lacks a projectile and reliable ways to deal with them giving him problems approaching. Marth has below average weight which makes it easy to be KO'ed horizontally easy or knock him off stage for an edge guard. He has problems killing his opponents, if he is not able to land the sweet spot of his finishers. He has problems in sweet spotting the ledge with his vertical recovery, Dolphin Slash. He has problems dealing with projectiles which gives him problems approaching. Due to Marth's height, he is able to be combo'ed and hit easily. Also, Marth requires perfect spacing, so his full power can be used.

Now for the advantages of playing the characters:
Captain Falcon has fast attacks, great grab game, combo ability and powerful finishers in his forward smash, back aerial, forward aerial (the Knee Smash), his up tilt and his signature move the Falcon Punch. He possesses the second fastest dashing speed, good walking speed and great air speed giving him amazing mobility. He can extend his recovery by using Falcon Kick to restore his midair jump.Marth has disjointed range, fast attacks, good combo ability, great ground mobility and finishers in his tipped smash attacks, tipped up aerial, tipped back aerial and Counter (depending on how much knockback the opponent's attack had dealt). Marth has a strong air game thanks to his fast, disjointed aerials and he can out space his opponents. Marth is also a good edge guarder, so breaking through his guard will be tough.

Okay now, my MU ratio, in my opinion would be: 60 (CF)/ 40 (Marth)
As for why, since Marth has a lot more disadvantages with his attacks, approach and recovery options, and he needs perfect spacing and CF doesn't even need any of those things since he has the most advantages in attack and defense in this freakin' matchup and he has little problems to combo Marth to death, recovering, and getting out of combos yeah, Marth is screwed.

4. Out of the characters you listed in the "Characters I Play in SSF2" part of your app, which one do you feel has the best matchup vs. Falcon? Why? (No need to be as detailed as question 3, just your choice and a couple sentences of justification.)

I'm going to be honest the only main in my SSF2 list that could match CF is someone with pojectiles (since CF has a huge problem with that..) and who can take advantage of his weight for free combos, grab and other follow-ups and it would be Link in the situation. Because of his specials, grabs, and recovery options, Link would be more likely to be a match for CF. And since Link has projectiles (to which CF has problems with.), he can use them to the fullest.

Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:08 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: TSF|Cookies
Currently Playing: PM, Melee, Ultimate, Hollow Knight
Thanks for applying! We have made our decision, and unfortunately, you have been denied. Feel free to apply once Beta is out. Id recommend not applying on Day 1, but give it some time to get a grasp of the meta. And next time, please dont Copy&Paste things from the wiki.

Shoutouts to Harr for this sick player card!

Join Chibi Nation, the 20CR Discord for all aspiring Chibi-Robo mains!

Click to expand thumbnail

Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:04 am
 [ 6 posts ]