The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 5:33 pm

[ 10 posts ] 
Gms' Sprite factory 

Location: ...Beneath the high tide centrifuse covered and hidden under the bermuda complex
Currently Playing: with my ****
Ok so... I'm on the edge of apply to be a SSF2 dev, but i dont have a good resume outside of just splicing portraits, and
making custom animations for Fire emblem games... Im not that* much of a newb to making sprites/animations pictures, Etc.
In stating that, im going to post my animations here.. and im going to ask questions and stay open to criticism.
I would also take request depending on how appropiate they are, ..in a way im trying to train myself if im not good enough
to actually be a developer.

This will be my first upload, a new animation for soras Down B, which took around 7 hours in the course of two days
(im moving slow cuz im testing new programs)..

Imediate feedback is highly appreciated

GM

Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:01 pm
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Super Smash Flash 2
Well first of all it looks really huge. I know Sora is much smaller than that.

If it's for a game like ours he really shouldn't be at a 45 degree angle cause one of his feet will always be in the air etc...

Try to go a little more custom.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:08 pm

Location: ...Beneath the high tide centrifuse covered and hidden under the bermuda complex
Thanks,
I used the sprite sheet used for the game as a template, it was scaled to about the same size,
how do you recomend i fix the angling and keep the same visual impact.

GM

Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:19 pm

This could help: http://ssf2expansions.motionforum.net/t ... n-tutorial

Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:22 pm
Site Moderator

Waifu: ElvisDitto

That's... irrelevant.

The animation looks good, it has potentional. I'm interested in how you made it. I'm also curious how long you have been spriting.

Aside from the angle and the size, this is pretty good! I'd say it's more Blizaga then Thundaga, though, because for Thundaga the focus is really the Keyblade in the air, whereas here it looks like he's shooting from the keyblade. if you add a bit of recoil, it'd make a nice Blizaga animation. I would personally also fix the keyblade in the frame where it's upward, in the sense that it'll probably look better if it's completely outlined.

(you can now tweet mean things at me on Twitter @StevenEggplant)

Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:12 am

Ok i hope this fits the criteria, I think i have to brush up on the plyrometric effect for frame four and maybe it will take a bit of the "sliding" illusion for the let foot off, but thats if you guys insist i do so... I slowed it down a bit, but the animation would be a bit faster.

@steven, thanks... I made a mistake when i said down B, i actually meant down smash lol... I outlined the keyblade a little bit better also..
and i've been spriting for almost a year or so but on a EXTREMELY casual level, just for my own leisure. This one was actually made similar to step 4 (iirc) in the tutorial posted by kiddragon, i used Kh videos as a refrence.. I used a combination of Gimp and graphics gale, i animate in gimp cuz Ive only been using graphics gale for like a week, but I usually sprite with Usenti.

GM

Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:24 pm
Site Moderator

Waifu: ElvisDitto
GreaterMaelstrom wrote:
[ Image ]

Ok i hope this fits the criteria, I think i have to brush up on the plyrometric effect for frame four and maybe it will take a bit of the "sliding" illusion for the let foot off, but thats if you guys insist i do so... I slowed it down a bit, but the animation would be a bit faster.

@steven, thanks... I made a mistake when i said down B, i actually meant down smash lol... I outlined the keyblade a little bit better also..
and i've been spriting for almost a year or so but on a EXTREMELY casual level, just for my own leisure. This one was actually made similar to step 4 (iirc) in the tutorial posted by kiddragon, i used Kh videos as a refrence.. I used a combination of Gimp and graphics gale, i animate in gimp cuz Ive only been using graphics gale for like a week, but I usually sprite with Usenti.

'Tis actyally pretty rad for a D-smash, good sir.

Small bro tip: When you find yourself posting animations for wich you desire feedback, it's usually a good idea to post the sheet/frames seperately and unanimated as well. That way we can pinpoint where the possible errors lie eaiser, and then you can fix said frame in the aforementioned situation like the merriest of all eggplants.

Now, for the animation; during one frame, the keyblade dissappears behind Sora's back, but this is quite the jump from the position of the keyblade from the previous frame, leading to the jumpy erratic movement, you should make the movement of the keyblade more swift, but also smoother. Sora's front shoe also switches from flat, to rounded, you should add more consistancy in the this shoe so it looks more solid. Sora's pants also appear to grow and shrink during the animation, so you might wanna get a look at tht when you have the time as well.

Most of the things I've mentioned can be easily fixed if so desired though. For the keylbade movement, I would suggest putting your mind to that a bit more though. Animating melee weaponry can be pretty difficult, but you've seem to got most of it down, you just need to improve the transission the weapon goes thru from point A to B. Just keep your head on and your eyes open and it should work out.

So far so good though, keep it good sir!

(you can now tweet mean things at me on Twitter @StevenEggplant)

Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:35 pm

Wow, i see exactly what your saying... you got a good eye, you picked that up immediately, I will definately look into this.

GM

Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:10 pm

well check it out... I've in a cold place for a few months. I have finished allot of sprites and was planning on posting them here for feedback and yadda yadda, but the cpu i was working on previously doesn't turn on no more so that's a wrap, i have nothing left.. so I temporarily quit. now im going to give this another crack.. starting from scratch all i have on this laptop is a custom sprite i made to test changing/replacing a pokemon black2 and white2 trainer i made hours before my 3Ds refused to turn on also.

Im going to work on reanimating a Dtilt for link but i have a question first... should his back face the camera or should his anterior face the camera
for the starting frame?
a reply would be gladly appreciated.

EDIT: phuket...

Links Dtilt..
(Iaza chopped and screwed it for some reason Idk)
slowed

Emphasis on the contact...

I have the frames and scraps&s*** on a sprite sheet, ready to upload if necessary

GM

Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:37 pm

Working on upsmash next... unless something more interesting pops

GM

Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:42 pm
 [ 10 posts ]