The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 6:04 pm

Forum rules

DO NOT POST SSF2 OR GAME IDEAS/QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM!

For SSF2 Discussion, please go here: http://forums.mcleodgaming.com/viewforum.php?f=4

[ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Removing Excessive Forum Clutter 

Currently Playing: Destiny. College, not much time for games.
I propose that Emoticons, font size, and font color be removed, and that there should be tighter limits placed on the size of a User's signature.

I understand that signatures are a great way to express oneself in this forum, I feel that we're at the point where it's starting to get excessive. Signature sizes are getting very much out of hand, to the point where I see one line text posts, followed by an avatar and a signature that's at least a 4:1 ratio against the part of their post you actually want to read. Just look at this: http://snag.gy/vCitc.jpg

One post is literally taking up the entirety of my screen. All it does is needlessly increase the size of webpages and the time it takes to load them. I feel that signatures should be limited to "banner size" (500x200 is suggested) so that it's possible to read the content of someone's post without have to endlessly filter through all the anime gifs and player cards that spread like wildfire.

Emoticons and font color should also be removed, because I feel that all they do is promote posts where only the loudest and most opinionated are able to be heard. I'd rather look pay attention to a one-line post that actually contributes to discussion instead of excessive text editing in order to make a controversial statement about why "your opinion is wrong :no: and ur dumb :hmph: and my view should be embraced by the mods pls :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ". Avatars and usernames should be more than enough to distinguish one person from another.

This is just my opinion on things. Doing something like this would go a long way in promoting active discussion and contribution in the forums.

“When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before.”

- Jacob Riis

Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:49 am

My sig size is fine. Maybe you need to stop being poor and get a proper monitor. Or turn signatures off if you're really that hurt by it.

All the other s*** in your post is you whining about things that don't matter at all. You want better discussion? Start by not crying about things.

Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:54 am

Currently Playing: Boi, ffxiv and dbz fighterz.
Waifu: am lonely
i agree

turn off signatures if its really bothering you

as for the smilies and font color i dont see a reason why they should be removed?

i mean if you hate colors then just dont use them

and nobody really uses smilies anymore

sorry, I only listen to freshest jams from the youngest leans

Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:01 am

reggie fils-anime wrote:
My sig size is fine. Maybe you need to stop being poor and get a proper monitor. Or turn signatures off if you're really that hurt by it.

All the other s#%$& in your post is you whining about things that don't matter at all. You want better discussion? Start by not crying about things.

It's close-minded posts like this that are arguably the worst thing in this forum. It's fine to disagree with my opinion, but calling me "poor" and dismissing all my concerns as "stupid sh*t" is immature and childish.

You're not getting very far in life with that kind of attitude.

“When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before.”

- Jacob Riis

Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:06 am

Are you going to actually refute my points? Or are you going to keep whining about the tone of my post instead of the content?

Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:07 am

reggie fils-anime wrote:
Are you going to actually refute my points? Or are you going to keep whining about the tone of my post instead of the content?

Again, not with that attitude. You're not even making any points. In fact you're even proving my point that this is a forum where people have to be loud and controversial to get any attention at all. Telling me to "stop crying" isn't helping promote discussion, it's just being lazy and intolerant of other people's opinions.

- Jacob Riis

Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:16 am

It's not an opinion that your monitor is small, though. It's a fact. Buy a better one.

Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:20 am

Currently Playing: Boi, ffxiv and dbz fighterz.
Waifu: am lonely
TomShoe wrote:
reggie fils-anime wrote:

Again, not with that attitude. You're not even making any points. In fact you're even proving my point that this is a forum where people have to be loud and controversial to get any attention at all. Telling me to "stop crying" isn't helping promote discussion, it's just being lazy and intolerant of other people's opinions.

reggie fils-anime wrote:

All the other s**** in your post is you whining about things that don't matter at all. You want better discussion? Start by not crying about things.

*smiles and font color

dude chill out why being so aggressive
Pointing out whats wrong with other peoples posts wont get you anywhere in life. It doesn't matter, to an extent, how someone conveys their message to you online as long as you get what they were aiming for.

on a side note im bored as hell

sorry, I only listen to freshest jams from the youngest leans

Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:22 am

some solutions:
-use ctrl -
-be calmer
-dont let incredibly minor things get to you
also if we removed smilies there'd probably be some people who want to enable them again so what'd be the point

Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:44 am
Site Moderator

Waifu: Trollbean
TomShoe wrote:
Emoticons and font color should also be removed, because I feel that all they do is promote posts where only the loudest and most opinionated are able to be heard. I'd rather look pay attention to a one-line post that actually contributes to discussion instead of excessive text editing in order to make a controversial statement about why "your opinion is wrong :no: and ur dumb :hmph: and my view should be embraced by the mods pls :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ". Avatars and usernames should be more than enough to distinguish one person from another.
This is not an issue, and the bolded is entirely in your head. Color can be used to emphasize a post, or just make it more interesting. If we see someone post in bold red size 200 text just for the attention, mods are gonna shoot that s*** down in a heartbeat. And we don't have any of those fagges that make all their posts in one color here. The community would s*** on that

Kyuubit's signature length is about the upper limit of how long a sig should be. Any longer vertically and I'd agree with you. As it is, you'll have to accept is that most people's monitors are much longer than yours.

And regarding your other posts, you need to quit being so whiny. In general we'd be more inclined to have a level-headed discussion if you hadn't been immediately accusatory and pretentious yourself.

If you don't like it here, you don't have to stay. There are a million other websites on the Internet.

madam im adam wrote:
also if we removed smilies there'd probably be some people who want to enable them again so what'd be the point
We don't use them much, but they're like family. I still feel a little bad about :snack:, even if :smug: exists

Mr. Green for SSF2

Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:27 pm
Site Moderator

Currently Playing: Ninja Gaiden Black, Battle Chasers: Nightwar, Titanfall 2 MP
Waifu: Makoto Nijima
TomShoe wrote:
I propose that Emoticons, font size, and font color be removed, and that there should be tighter limits placed on the size of a User's signature.
Signature complaints are handled on a case-by-case basis with Cleod, I'll respond to everything else later down the line.
I understand that signatures are a great way to express oneself in this forum, I feel that we're at the point where it's starting to get excessive. Signature sizes are getting very much out of hand, to the point where I see one line text posts, followed by an avatar and a signature that's at least a 4:1 ratio against the part of their post you actually want to read. Just look at this: http://snag.gy/vCitc.jpg
Yeah, this is a legitimate complaint. Thing is, though, you can do one of three things. You can disable signatures, use adblock to block the image (it's what I do), or PM Cleod about it.
One post is literally taking up the entirety of my screen. All it does is needlessly increase the size of webpages and the time it takes to load them. I feel that signatures should be limited to "banner size" (500x200 is suggested) so that it's possible to read the content of someone's post without have to endlessly filter through all the anime gifs and player cards that spread like wildfire.

Emoticons and font color should also be removed, because I feel that all they do is promote posts where only the loudest and most opinionated are able to be heard.
Wrong, wrong, wrong. You can use colors to divide up a guide, for example. You can use emoticons in the occasional joking matter. You can use colors to put emphasis on something. You can DISABLE EMOTICONS.
I'd rather look pay attention to a one-line post that actually contributes to discussion instead of excessive text editing in order to make a controversial statement about why "your opinion is wrong :no: and ur dumb :hmph: and my view should be embraced by the mods pls :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ".
Except nobody here posts like that? Kyuubit can seem angry as all hell, but he makes valid points most of the time/often is just joking, depending on the section. (His posts here are legitimate)
Avatars and usernames should be more than enough to distinguish one person from another.

This is just my opinion on things. Doing something like this would go a long way in promoting active discussion and contribution in the forums.
Dear lord, if I had a dime for every time I heard this on Beta Archive, I'd be a rich man. Thing is, this place ISN'T Beta Archive. This forum is a loose place, and doesn't worry about making people do in-depth posts so they can get on a FTP server.

Oh hey, a decent post here. I'll put my responses in bold.

Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:27 pm

here's your screencap laid over a screencap of mine just in case you want to know how small your resolution is

mine is 1080p - not only a current standard but something that's being phased out now that 4K content is becoming available

i can't help but notice the resolution of your screencap is a common laptop resolution. are you using a laptop? because if you are you instantly lose the right to complain about anything being "too big". sorry.

Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:32 pm
Site Moderator

Waifu: Trollbean
I use a laptop and even mine has a higher resolution than that (1366x768)

Actually, now that I look at that pic more closely, it looks like we have the same resolution. You don't see me complaining about the length of his sig, do you?

Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:41 pm
Site Moderator

Currently Playing: Ninja Gaiden Black, Battle Chasers: Nightwar, Titanfall 2 MP
Waifu: Makoto Nijima

Decided to do a bit of looking at some hardware statistics. The Steam hardware survey's two most popular resolutions are clipped out and pasted in the top right. W3Schools is the rest of the image. Obviously these are for two VERY DIFFERENT demographics, but it's still a general idea of resolution usage. Resolutions are all over the place, but smaller ones are still being used quite a bit.

Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:45 pm

1080p is still the standard for a majority of things these days though

Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:50 pm
 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next