The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 7:26 am

[ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Stages - Banned Stage Discussion 
BR Member

MGN Username: KarmaPilcrow
Currently Playing: the waiting game
Waifu: Furry trash.
Zapperrix wrote:
I feel that the solution is to get rid of stages that are way too similar. Not Battlefield and Yoshi's Island similar, but even more similar.

And I feel that's the problem I'm trying to find a solution for. Look at this topic, hardly anyone here supports the bans on ToS and Jungle Hijinx, and it's pretty clear why – the two were banned for non-gameplay reasons.

Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:58 am
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
What do you mean by non-gameplay reasons? There are many ways a stage can be banned: too dependent on luck or too volatile, like many stages with hazards; offering an overwhelming advantage to certain characters, like Shadow Moses Island; or lastly, too polarizing, which is slightly different than offering an overwhelming advantage to a few characters: stages like Big Blue or Rumble Falls in Brawl that flip the game on its head and favor certain attributes (usually speed, mobility, and zoning) excessively. All of these are gameplay reasons. The reason I have for not wanting ToS legal is slightly different, but in line with these reasons: I think's it's too polarizing: it's fine to have polarizing stages because that's what bans and strikes are for, but having too many stages that are polarizing in the same way or that favor a certain character or characters is unacceptable. For example, the early Melee stagelist had a lot of stages that were really good for Fox and the early Brawl stagelist had a lot of stages that were really good for Meta Knight. Over time, to reduce the competitive advantage these characters received from being able to force an advantageous stage, these stages (Rainbow Cruise, Corneria, etc.) were slowly pared down. I don't want to have a period in the meta where certain characters can force good stage choices, like these games did, but anticipate this process and avoid it.

@Zapp: I really think that ToS and FDS are substantially different, although the characters that each one favors have large overlap. ToS gives more recovery and camping options, so it favors characters like Zelda or Fox, who can mixup going high fairly easily with little risk, or characters like Link that can use the top platforms well. The walls make sweetspots easier and favor characters that can use them well, like Marth or Fox.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:33 am
BR Member

MGN Username: Jammy
Zapperrix wrote:
If anything I'd rather have both of them as Counterpicks, but then it's not exactly fair to have no flat stages as Starters.

There's nothing wrong with 3DS though, just learn to sweetspot (which you should be doing in the first place).

it's much harder for some characters to sweetspot than others, especially with the reduced number of angles on things like Firefox and Mario's upB. The stage is also pretty small. I'd rather that only FD was allowed instead of both 3DS and FD, but that's just my opinion.

also ncluding ToS on the FD-like stages list would be nice.

Youtube         Twitch

<insert giant anime gif here>

Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:45 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Zapperrix
3DS isn't small, it's slightly smaller than ToS (the main stage that is). I can understand if you don't like a stages, but don't make up reasons for not liking it. Besides, the player can choose 3DS or FD, so it's not that big of a deal.

I've been proposing the merger of ToS and FD for a while, but it's probably gonna end up as a partial fusion at some point (it's a counterpick, but if you ban FDS, then ToS get's banned as well and vice versa; just like how Smash 4 handles omega stages).

ZERO_OR wrote:
Also their is no such things as GODS.

Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:00 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Jammy
Zapperrix wrote:
3DS isn't small, it's slightly smaller than ToS (the main stage that is). I can understand if you don't like a stages, but don't make up reasons for not liking it. Besides, the player can choose 3DS or FD, so it's not that big of a deal.

I've been proposing the merger of ToS and FD for a while, but it's probably gonna end up as a partial fusion at some point (it's a counterpick, but if you ban FDS, then ToS get's banned as well and vice versa; just like how Smash 4 handles omega stages).

I'm not making up reasons for not liking 3DS I genuinely don't like it because I think it's small lol.

Youtube         Twitch

<insert giant anime gif here>

Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:38 am
SSF2 Developer

It's smaller than Final Destination, but IMO it's not that small. Maybe it's a perspective thing?

It's pretty much the same size as BattleField and, as Zapperrix pointed out, Tower. (Shout-outs to Dark Ermac for measuring.)

Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:18 am
BR Member

MGN Username: CSWooly
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, SSF2, SSB4, League of Legends.
Ok, maybe I should rename this topic to Stage Dicussion.

I agree with the idea of Grouping stages together in one strike, but ToS isn't that similar to FDS. ToS I could see as a counterpick.

Click to expand thumbnail

SSF2 Backroom Character Analyst and Labber

Mains: :lucario: :simon:

Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:40 am
BR Member

Except that it is. If you can easily chain grab a character to 50% on FDS, you can do it on ToS just as easily because there are no on stage platforms.

The on stage game is basically the same as FD's.

ZERO_OR wrote:

Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:03 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, SSF2, SSB4, League of Legends.
True.
Here's my question now.
Do you have one of these threads is the Back Room? If so, is this thread needed?

Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:06 pm
BR Member

Sort of, but it's good to leave this thread open so that community feedback can be gathered.

ZERO_OR wrote:

Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:14 pm
BR Member

Ok then

Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:59 pm

Just a quick thing to start, Castle Siege and Jungle Hijinx are quite a bit different to me. Not only are the sizesdifferent, that parts where they angle are different, (one slants to the left, the other the right) and one has two platforms, the other one and those two are different in size/height. I wouldn't ban one because the other exists.

Anyways, we have discussed this often over in the other communities of smash, has SSF2 ever considered using Full List Stage Striking?

Here's the concept: There are no starters, there are no counterpicks, just one big list of all the legal stages. This may seem a foreign concept but there is solid logic behind it written up by one of the people who helped design the starter/counterpick system/

You could use this to have a more logically sound and larger stagelist. You could always increase stage bans to 2 instead of 1 during counterpicks if you are honestly that scared about those issues. I currently run a larger starter list then most and it's not been a major issue. If people are willing to take a few more extra seconds to strike this isn't actually a bad method and encourages stage variety and knowledge as well.

Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:18 am
BR Member

MGN Username: joey
Currently Playing: joey
Waifu: joey
I don't like 3DS as much as the next guy but I have a question, Why out of every other stage in the game did Mirror Chamber had to be legal?

Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:30 am
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
It isn't in this demo, I believe. Short blast zones, but mainly the Platform of Doom in the middle that gives easy followups and can lead into almost anything.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:31 am
BR Member

MGN Username: KarmaPilcrow
Currently Playing: the waiting game
Waifu: Furry trash.
Mr.Z wrote:
I don't like 3DS as much as the next guy but I have a question, Why out of every other stage in the game did Mirror Chamber had to be legal?

Mirror Chamber's not legal. We're unanimous in that. The middle platform is incredibly poorly placed – whoever controls it controls the entire stage.

Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:40 pm
 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next