The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 10:50 am

[ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
The SSF2 Item Standard Play (ISP) Thread 
BR Member

MGN Username: KarmaPilcrow
Currently Playing: the waiting game
Waifu: Furry trash.
Hello, and welcome to the Item Standard Play (ISP) Thread. Now, I'm sure you have a few questions.

What is ISP: show
ISP is a usergroup started on SmashBoards by smasher Capps in order to discuss the potential merits of items in competitive use, particularly in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS.

Why even consider this: show
Because the official Super Smash Bros. games are designed with items in mind, which means some balance aspects revolve around them that are largely ignored. Take Sonic's running speed that can pick up items quickly, or Shiek and Captain Falcon's unique Star Rod properties.

But what about Hammers and Heart Containers: show
Like stage bans, there will be items banned based on giving some characters significant advantages or radically altering the course of the game with no effort.

So... whats banned: show
That hasn't been decided yet. We do, however, have a ground rule - they cannot immediately alter the outcome of a match. What this applies to, though, is up for debate. Even common anti-item points like Hammers and E-Tanks are eligible for discussion.

What about Smash Balls: show
That's actually a topic ripe for debate right now. Feel free to discuss them along with any other item.

They appear way too often.: show
An easy fix - ISP sets them to Low.

I disagree with you. Items have no place in competitive play whatsoever.: show
Then feel free to argue against it. Just please be civil about it. This applies to those who agree with ISP, too.

BUT NO ITEMS FOX ONLY FINAL DE-: show
Let me stop you right there. While this is a discussion topic and you're free to make arguments, if you're not going to take it seriously, then please leave.

Alright, now that we have that out of the way, let's get going.

Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:41 am
Site Admin

MGN Username: [TSON]
Currently Playing: with myself
Honestly, I think E-Tanks would be fine in ISP. If your opponent heals more than 10% in a 1v1 that's definitely your fault.

Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:00 am
BR Member

This is my initial assessment for a possible ISP list for SSF2. It's not official by any means. I want to be sure my examinations are accurate and uncertainties are snuffed out.

Quote:
Legal:

Poke Ball: show
This is definitely up for debate, but from what I see, most pokémon attack in a fairly predictable pattern, even the most powerful ones. They can be dangerous, but not a death sentence. Assist Trophies, though... (see below)

Beam Sword: show
This is just a simple attack option and a decent projectile in a pinch. Effective, but not dangerous enough to ban.

Fan: show
This would ordinarily be a no-brainer to ban, being able to rack up 200%+ in an instant in the canon games. However, here, like in Project M, its trapping properties have been greatly reduced, and the item as a whole is considerably less lethal.

Food: show
Healing can make things interesting. And this healing item, while effective for a small comeback and can add up, is not significant enough to make an immediate impact on the match.

Note that Food would have been banned were Maxim Tomatoes included among them as initially intended in earlier demos (see below).

Energy Tank: show
It does have the potential to heal unlimited damage and reverse a good portion of the match, but as TSON pointed out, it does leave you vulnerable and is more of a risk to use than anything in 1v1.

Cucco: show
While there is a risk of attacking it while it's spawning like a Bob-Omb (see below), it doesn't activate immediately, and can be used for a number of strategic purposes; guarding and recovery especially.

Mr. Saturn: show
Far too weak to be a threat, but it has its uses.

Freezie: show
Unlike other items that do something if you attack them while spawning by mistake, this just harmlessly disappears instead of causing any effect on the match. The fact that it's a one-use projectile doesn't hurt.

Star Rod: show
A basic attack item and a basic projectile. And like I pointed out in the OP, a balance point among different characters.

Pitfall: show
It's a weak projectile and a strategic mine. It's not overly dangerous, but it has its uses. Not enough, though, to warrant a ban.

Quote:
Banned:

Smash Ball: show
The SmashBoards ISP group has been arguing about this left and right, but it's my opinion that it affects gameplay far too much, along with giving some characters (such as Goku) a significant advantage above other characters' final smashes (such as Peach) that can wipe out multiple stocks at that.

Feel free to dispute this.

Capsule, along with any future container: show
There's too much risk of it spawning right into your attack and exploding.

Assist Trophy: show
While easily debatable like Poké Balls (see above), Light Yagami and Amigo in particular make them far more lethal than in the canon games.

Home Run Bat: show
While the famous Home Run Smash Attack leaves the user too open to be practical, most people use them as an easily-reusable projectile that does almost as much damage as a normal Smash Attack. While the item physics haven't been perfected in SSF2 yet, making it not as easy to use as in canon games, the danger's still there.

Maxim Tomato and Heart Container: show
These can immediately reverse a good portion of the match, tilting it in favor of who's faster or closer to the spawn point. They have to go.

Shells: show
I'd normally be fine with allowing Green Shells as a one-use projectile. However, lumping them with Red Shells (creating a difficult-to-avoid stage hazard) and Blue Shells (which are easily debatable in 1v1) poses a problem, along with the buggy physics right now leading to the person attacking one getting hit (see Bob-Omb, Capsule)

Bob-Omb: show
There's a danger of attacking at the spawn point (see Capsule) and its sheer power as a projectile.

Super Mushroom and Poison Mushroom: show
You don't even have to attack them for them to activate and significantly affect the matchup, for better or for worse. They make things much too luck-based.

Quote:
Unsure (Counterpick?)

Exploding Tag or Paper Bomb: show
It can be used strategically and, if you attack it by mistake, it gives you time to get out of the way. However, its power can't be ignored.

Bumper: show
A high-risk, high-reward item that can be used strategically and poses as much of a danger to the user as the opponent. It's not very clear how easy it is to avoid, though, especially with the larger character size-stage size ratio present in SSF2.

Ray Gun: show
Yes, it's limited-ammo. But hitting with every or near-every shot, which is fairly easy, adds up to a high amount of damage. Just how easy it is, though, I'm not sure.

Remember, this is just what I think after a short examination. I want to hear some counterpoints.

Last edited by Utah P. Teasdale (Harr) on Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:25 pm

MGN Username: StarrTheSquirrel
Currently Playing: Smash Flash 2, Dishonored, Will be playing SSB4 soon
I think the bumper should be allowed, because, no matter who places it, both players can use it strategically, And it would just make things more interesting in general.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:32 pm
BR Member

StarrTheSquirrel wrote:
I think the bumper should be allowed, because, no matter who places it, both players can use it strategically, And it would just make things more interesting in general.

I'd like to start a discussion on this.

My concern is that it would be ill-suited and difficult to avoid on smaller stages, like Battlefield. A possibility is allowing it to be enabled on Counterpick, but that might be a little too complicated.

C'mon, guys, I wanna' hear some points.

Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:01 am
BR Member

MGN Username: Zapperrix
While I like the idea of Smash Balls being usable, at the same time the final forms are too powerful. However, the increased amount of invincibility frames from respawning could circumvent that.

Any thoughts?

ZERO_OR wrote:
Also their is no such things as GODS.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:39 pm
BR Member

King Zao wrote:
While I like the idea of Smash Balls being usable, at the same time the final forms are too powerful. However, the increased amount of invincibility frames from respawning could circumvent that.

Any thoughts?

I'm mostly thinking of Goku's dual final smashes. Score a KO as a Super Saiyan, wait a bit for the respawn period to end, then throw a Spirit Bomb. The increased invincibility frames still wouldn't stop that.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:57 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Thomas Terminator
Currently Playing: League of Legends, Halo Master Chief Collection, Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Saikyoshi wrote:
King Zao wrote:

Any thoughts?

I'm mostly thinking of Goku's dual final smashes. Score a KO as a Super Saiyan, wait a bit for the respawn period to end, then throw a Spirit Bomb. The increased invincibility frames still wouldn't stop that.

I like the ability of using Smash balls as well, but I agree, I feel like the characters that have final forms (Wario, Ichigo, Goku, Naruto, Sonic, and if you count Semi-final forms, Yoshi and Mega Man to a lesser extent) would have a huge advantage with them, while leaving the other characters who don't have them at a small disadvantage, and that's what is holding me back from fully supporting them.

Unless the enemy is good at dodging projectiles, Mega Man and Yoshi can easily clean the floor up due to the damage and knock-back on their missles. Pretty much every final form can easily combo their opponent and get clean, easy KOs, while the enemy can't do much to fight, and some of the final smashes have a risk to them, mainly the swordsmen, because their final smashes are easy to dodge in my opinion and would just be a wasted Smash ball. The rest of them are in the middle due to them being able to cover distance and are somewhat harder to dodge than targeted final smashes, but easier than final forms.

TL;DR

Final forms and Semi-Final forms in my opinion would have a huge advantage, followed by non-targeted final Smashes (Mario Finale, Peach Beam, Zero Laser, etc), and then the swordsmen with the targeted final Smashes where if you miss, you lose it (Tri-Force Slash, Falcon's Crest, Critical Hit, etc) would be at (in my opinion) a disadvantage to the rest of the Final Smashes.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:54 pm
BR Member

Thomas Terminator wrote:
Saikyoshi wrote:
King Zao wrote:

Any thoughts?

I like the ability of using Smash balls as well, but I agree, I feel like the characters that have final forms (Wario, Ichigo, Goku, Naruto, Sonic, and if you count Semi-final forms, Yoshi and Mega Man to a lesser extent) would have a huge advantage with them, while leaving the other characters who don't have them at a small disadvantage, and that's what is holding me back from fully supporting them.

Unless the enemy is good at dodging projectiles, Mega Man and Yoshi can easily clean the floor up due to the damage and knock-back on their missles. Pretty much every final form can easily combo their opponent and get clean, easy KOs, while the enemy can't do much to fight, and some of the final smashes have a risk to them, mainly the swordsmen, because their final smashes are easy to dodge in my opinion and would just be a wasted Smash ball. The rest of them are in the middle due to them being able to cover distance and are somewhat harder to dodge than targeted final smashes, but easier than final forms.

TL;DR

Final forms and Semi-Final forms in my opinion would have a huge advantage, followed by non-targeted final Smashes (Mario Finale, Peach Beam, Zero Laser, etc), and then the swordsmen with the targeted final Smashes where if you miss, you lose it (Tri-Force Slash, Falcon's Crest, Critical Hit, etc) would be at (in my opinion) a disadvantage to the rest of the Final Smashes.

My thoughts exactly. It would be a nice addition to allow smash balls, but just not fair.

Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:56 am
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
If everyone had a final smash like Link's, there wouldn't be a problem with using smash balls in an ISP ruleset. It would be awesome to combo into your super move, like an Ultra combo.

Youtube: NinjaLobsterStudios
Stream: twitch.tv/ninjalobster

Click to expand thumbnail

Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:57 pm

MGN Username: Nstinct
Currently Playing: Smash Bros. 4 3DS, Super Smash Flash 2
The idea of counter picking items sounds really funny to me, I actually like the sound of it. :xd:

The Deathnote Trophy is a true game changer. Amigo is somewhat avoidable with some characters, I'd have to test him out. Assist Trophies could be fun, I'd like to hear other people's opinions on them. I have to go back to 0.9a to get a feel for them again, even in 9a I didn't use items much.

Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:29 am

MGN Username: VillagerIsLove
Currently Playing: Smash 4, SSF2, Terraria, Fire Emblem: Awakening
I'm sorry to be a bit off-topic but...what does the Death Note AT do?

__
Secondaries
__
3DS FC: 3540-1270-5229

Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:13 am
BR Member

Starkiller2 wrote:
If everyone had a final smash like Link's, there wouldn't be a problem with using smash balls in an ISP ruleset. It would be awesome to combo into your super move, like an Ultra combo.

The problem with that, though, is that it would ruin the essence of some characters. It just wouldn't be Goku if he couldn't go Super Saiyan, you know?

Nstinct wrote:
The idea of counter picking items sounds really funny to me, I actually like the sound of it. :xd:

The Deathnote Trophy is a true game changer. Amigo is somewhat avoidable with some characters, I'd have to test him out. Assist Trophies could be fun, I'd like to hear other people's opinions on them. I have to go back to 0.9a to get a feel for them again, even in 9a I didn't use items much.

No idea how item counterpicks would work, though, personally.

Meyguhmein wrote:
I'm sorry to be a bit off-topic but...what does the Death Note AT do?

OHKO after a ten-second countdown. It's technically avoidable, but only on larger stages that are banned anyway.

Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:08 am
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
I would be super unhappy if Smash Balls appeared, although no one in this game is slightly as broken as Wolf. (I hate Wolf!). I think a couple items in the list given are slightly misplaced:
I think Non-exploding Capsules should be allowed, because the risk of spawning is minimal and they are a one-use projectile similar to the Freezie.
I think the Pitfall should be at least Counterpick (whatever that means) or banned. They make some recoveries practically death sentences. Anyone who drifts horizontally, like Peach, Chibi-Robo, DK, Mario (although he can reflect it), Fox, etc., is screwed, and some characters with slow recoveries (Ichigo, Chibi-Robo, DK, Sora, etc.) have serious issues dealing with it.
Ray Gun has to be banned, if for nothing else then that Kirby has guaranteed 80% if he mashes the attack button up close.
I like the idea of items in competitive play and I hope that someday we work out the specifics.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:01 pm

MGN Username: TAC3
Currently Playing: SSF2, League of Legends, Steam Games
you can't choose between exploding and normal capsules unless it's training mode.
pitfall can be meteor cancelled if it hits you in the air.
I would accept ray gun tbh since I assume the kirby rapid fire thing is a bug that hasn't been fixed for may demos...

Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:29 pm
 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next