The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 4:07 pm

[ 7 posts ] 
How Casual/Competitive Are You? 2.0 

Where are you on the sliding scale?
4: Casual Exclusive 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
3: Casual Loyalist 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
2: Casual Preferent 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1: Casual Dabbler 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
0: True Neutral 29%  29%  [ 8 ]
1: Competitive Dabbler 18%  18%  [ 5 ]
2: Competitive Preferent 32%  32%  [ 9 ]
3: Competitive Loyalist 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
4: Competitive Exclusive 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 28

How Casual/Competitive Are You? 2.0 
BR Member

MGN Username: KarmaPilcrow
Currently Playing: the waiting game
Waifu: Furry trash.
I made a thread like this back in the v0.9b days, but it was very poorly worded. Let's try this again.

The Smash fandom can be split fairly cleanly into the casual audience and the competitive audience. SSF2 has a lot to offer for both, and we have many of both kinds of players here. Which are you?

As a reminder, this is about preference, not skill level. A recurring champion can be a 1 and a total novice can be a 4.

0: The True Neutral — Does not have even a slight preference. Is exactly as likely to play a casual match as a competitive match and vice versa, depending on what's available at the time or on their mood.
1: The Dabbler — Naturally gravitates towards a given playstyle, but is perfectly happy playing the other. (ex. Will tend to choose neutral or banned stages when it's their turn to choose the stage)
2: The Preferent — Will freely participate in any playstyle, but will generally focus on one in their own time. (ex. Will play one-on-one matches online but plays free-for-alls with friends or CPUs, or vice versa)
3: The Loyalist — Has a strong preference for or dedication to their given playstyle and has little interest in the other. (ex. A tournament player that passes over free-for-alls and enjoys study and practice, or a casual player who gets bored when playing without items or limited to certain stages)
4: The Exclusive — Believes one playstyle is inherently better than the other in some way, which may include a belief that some aspect of it harms their own enjoyment of the game (ex. Believes that a development focus on competitive balance is limiting new content, or vice versa)

Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:49 pm

MGN Username: ASemih46
Currently Playing: SSF2 Beta , Minecraft , NFS Most Wanted
why did you ask :?:

I wanna see this updates in the SSF2 : Smash Ball, Lucas , Shadow , Ganondorf

Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:57 pm
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Probably the new patch of SSF2 Beta.
Competitive Preferent probably fits me most accurately.

I never use items or stages with intrusive hazards or layouts, and never play more than 1v1s. But my friends tend to like all of those things more, and I'm comfortable using them when they want to, though I would generally rather not.

That said, I don't care about getting better, playing online very much, entering tournaments or really even winning. I just find the game more enjoyable this way, I'm not actually interested in the competitive scene outside of a passing curiosity.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:45 pm

MGN Username: Sonario
Currently Playing: games probably
Waifu: Speedwagon
Refurin wrote:

I never use items or stages with intrusive hazards or layouts, and never play more than 1v1s. But my friends tend to like all of those things more, and I'm comfortable using them when they want to, though I would generally rather not.

That said, I don't care about getting better, playing online very much, entering tournaments or really even winning. I just find the game more enjoyable this way, I'm not actually interested in the competitive scene outside of a passing curiosity.

That second bit sounds more like a dabbler.

I myself only play casual because I don't play games to win, I play to have fun. That said, I wouldn't mind trying to play competitively but I probably wouldn't go all out and besides that I'm too busy for comp until my exams are over. Not having any real mains also makes me more casual than competitive.

Flash Card: show

My thanks to Utah P. Teasdale (Harr) for the amazing Flash Card.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:46 am
BR Member

MGN Username: KarmaPilcrow
Currently Playing: the waiting game
Waifu: Furry trash.
Refurin wrote:

This is pretty much exactly what I had in mind with the Preferent definition. I just had difficulty wording it.

This is about match settings and not stakes, after all.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:56 am

MGN Username: CheesePudding
Currently Playing: Super Smash Flash 1&2, Rayman Legends, Sonic Mania
It doesn't matter for me. I do whatever I feel like doing, for the most part.

Cooking Sausages since 2018.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:26 am

MGN Username: JalStar
Currently Playing: SSF2
The only reason I play 1 vs 1 with no items on is because I'm playing online most of the time. Whenever I'm playing with my friends or just playing offline, I play with items, smash ball, hazards and everything. That has been the majority of what my SSF2 experience has been, it's only because there's no smash ball and I'm not around my friends as much that I play online. But I still love playing online in a competitive nature and don't mind it at all, although, I've never joined a tournament before so I guess I don't take it as seriously as some others do. I guess as of right now I'm a Competitive Dabbler but once smash balls come out, I'll lean more towards being a Causal Preferent again.

Click to expand thumbnail
Jamaica to be exact... :)
Check out my friend's shop here: https://www.redbubble.com/people/jo3HD/shop?asc=u

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:25 pm
 [ 7 posts ]