The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 6:14 am

[ 339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
X Tournament Series: The Meta Thread 
BR Member

MGN Username: Doq
Currently Playing: one of thousands of variations of Solitaire
Waifu: Es
Everything I do is based on player feedback. If I made my own decisions the X Tournament Series would have ended ages ago.

Additionally I'm constantly trying to make the perfect tournament. If that means constantly evolving, that's how it is.

Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:22 pm
YIM WWW
BR Member

Location: The wonderful world of... someplace that isn't on fire.
MGN Username: Dark Ermac
The players don't know what they want. You must make your best judgment to provide the best experience possible for as many players as possible. If a small minority gets the shaft because of it, so be it. The important thing is to make an event that you would want to take part in. Otherwise, you'll get a lukewarm reception from everyone due to endless compromises between too many ideologies. Don't let others control you.

Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:54 pm

Waifu: Yume
Dark Ermac wrote:
The players don't know what they want. You must make your best judgment to provide the best experience possible for as many players as possible. If a small minority gets the shaft because of it, so be it. The important thing is to make an event that you would want to take part in. Otherwise, you'll get a lukewarm reception from everyone due to endless compromises between too many ideologies. Don't let others control you.

It's feedback, he isn't being controlled he's just not making decisions entirely based on his personal opinion.
When the smash 4 stage list and rules were still being developed, it was through trial and error and I bet you, player feedback. If you're going to run a tournament series, and you want people to participate, I think these things are necessary.

Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:59 pm

Currently Playing: SSF2, SSB, SSBM
X2C wrote:
Dark Ermac wrote:

It's feedback, he isn't being controlled he's just not making decisions entirely based on his personal opinion.
When the smash 4 stage list and rules were still being developed, it was through trial and error and I bet you, player feedback. If you're going to run a tournament series, and you want people to participate, I think these things are necessary.

I agree especially when it comes to certain stages being disliked by TOs. I would agree to one of those stage list posted, but some of them are to short, or some of the lists I don't think should be counterpicked should be starters.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:40 am

MGN Username: Corvid_Crow
Currently Playing: With nice hens out there...
dude
how about u just
make a stagelist and stick to it
ur never going to make everyone happy with this sort of s***
we have to face the fact that at this rate, there is never going to be an "official" stagelist for the meantime before beta
just find a list of stages that could be reasonable to be starters or counterpicks are you're set

to all the people who complain about
if u wanna complain about a s*** stage to a to
f*** tell him directly
i have seen so many times where people have just blame the stagelist over their loss
like yeah it has an effect but u shouldnt be complaining about it like that
in most (should be all) cases the stagelist shouldnt be the problem over u 'slumping'
learn and play the damn game

:ichigo: :gameandwatch: :isaac: :bowser: :luigi: :lloyd: :chibirobo: :bomberman: :metaknight: :megaman: :donkeykong: :sonic: :samus: Image Image

Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:40 am
BR Member

X2C wrote:
Dark Ermac wrote:

That's true, yet the foundation of the current rule set for sm4sh is built almost entirely off of a select few individuals' own opinions, which just stuck because there was no accepted alternative. I personally know a few players who were prominent in the Brawl scene who are totally confused about why certain aspects of the rules have not changed since the very beginning (2 stock/6 minutes, 1111 Miis, etc.). The main problem here is that, for a lot of sm4sh players, this is their first competitive game, so they are complacent because they literally do not know anything else and just sorta blindly follow what the TOs of 2014 said like it's the word of God or something. As a result, this comparison is not the most valid, since there was very little real "evolution" of the sm4sh rules (3 bad counterpicks were removed, customs were tested briefly and declined), and all petitions for change thus far have been quashed by this stubbornness or fear of disrupting the status quo.

Anyway, player feedback is definitely important, but the TO should have the final say in what goes into their tournament rules. All of the changes I have made so far have been the result of my own observations, with very few instances of audience participation or feedback affecting them directly (most notably the best of 5 top 8 at SI S2:V). To me, Doqk is acting like a cup of water, and would probably benefit from adding some corn starch to the mixture. When under pressure, he should be able to hold back his accusers and be able to resist the temptation of spontaneous change. Yet, during the calm, he should be able to flow freely and (slowly) introduce changes over a more gradual period of time, to give him the ability to experiment without a sudden backlash.

If there's anything else I should elaborate on, feel free to tell me.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:43 am
BR Member

I use to have the Qualifier events to experiment on. Then there became so many tournaments throughout a given month that I can't even run Qualifier events anymore.

So I only have the monthlies left.

It brings back the point I keep driving home since July:
There are too many tournaments. There needs to be less of them.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:06 am
YIM WWW

Corvid Crow wrote:
dude
how about u just
make a stagelist and stick to it
ur never going to make everyone happy with this sort of s***
we have to face the fact that at this rate, there is never going to be an "official" stagelist for the meantime before beta

It's pretty hard to make a stage list and stick to it, but I agree. The closest thing to an official stage list is probably Vanilla's, but that's just me. Hopefully before beta is released we'll be at the point where everyone knows Central Highway shouldn't be legal.

Why are anime characters in SSF2

Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:26 am

One day people will realize man, one day.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:38 pm
BR Member

Doqtor Kirby wrote:
I use to have the Qualifier events to experiment on. Then there became so many tournaments throughout a given month that I can't even run Qualifier events anymore.

So I only have the monthlies left.

1 tour per week should be all right, I think. The problem comes when people start trying to actively force another tour out by competing for the same time slot. Kinda like what happened with early Hypest.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:10 pm

Waifu: Yume
Doqtor Kirby wrote:

"Stop making tournaments so I can fill my agenda and make x a tryhard vgbc for ssf2"

Dark Ermac wrote:
1 tour per week should be all right, I think. The problem comes when people start trying to actively force another tour out by competing for the same time slot. Kinda like what happened with early Hypest.

Actively force other tours out huh?

Maybe people arent trying to do anything of the sort. Doq is the only one crying about how his tournament series is in jeopardy of falling to s*** because people would rather attend other tournaments.

Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:05 pm

Well I kinda made an agreement that the X series and Smash island would be the main tournaments to have pages along with hypest and thunderedge to go on the wiki, but since they stopped making pages, I am not sure what to think of the tournaments. Who is winning, who is kicking butt, which characters are being represented and so on.

@X2C
I can see that since I talked to people about last X2 and they didn't like what happened. Also since it only happens once a month, compared to other tournaments happening more frequently, its understandable more people would rather go to other tournaments.

Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:23 pm
BR Member

Pft if I wanted a tryhard VGBC I'd actually contribute to Flash Era and/or not let IaF die.
X2C wrote:
Maybe people arent trying to do anything of the sort. Doq is the only one crying about how his tournament series is in jeopardy of falling to s*** because people would rather attend other tournaments.

I haven't cried. Yet.

Maybe instead of starting a flame war, try answering the question I keep asking:
What am I doing wrong?

pedit~ @niayre I haven't had time to write tournament pages for the X Tournament Series.

actual edit~
Lord doughnut wrote:
@X2C
I can see that since I talked to people about last X2 and they didn't like what happened. Also since it only happens once a month, compared to other tournaments happening more frequently, its understandable more people would rather go to other tournaments.

So you're saying I should have more of them?

Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:24 pm
YIM WWW
BR Member

No, because weeklies feel cheap in comparison because they happen so frequently.

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:09 pm

Dark Ermac wrote:
No, because weeklies feel cheap in comparison because they happen so frequently.

true

@doqk
How do you not have time? It only takes what 5 to 10 minutes to make the page. Also you're copying and pasting templates from other pages so it shouldn't be to much work.

Also as established, your tournament series is once a month so you should have plenty of time.

Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:35 am
 [ 339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next