The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 4:53 pm

Forum rules

DO NOT POST YOUR OWN UNFINISHED GAMES YOU'VE CREATED HERE!

To post about your own projects go here: viewforum.php?f=41

[ 6 posts ] 
[MP] Life is Strange 
Site Moderator

Waifu: ElvisDitto
Chances are you've never heard of this game let alone play it. But let's fix that.

Life is Strange is an episodic game akin to recent Telltale games (The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us and Tales of the Borderlands) wherein the decisions the player makes affect the outcome of situations and actively influence the way the story pans out. The game is published by Square Enix, and developed by Dontnod Entertainement, whom you might remember from 'Remember Me'.

Life is Strange centers around Max, a photography student at Blackwell Acedemy in the fictional town of Arcadia Bay. Max recently moved back to Arcadia and given that she's very shy, has a but of a hard time fitting in. Her life takes an unexpected turn when she discovers she has the ability to rewind time, which she initially uses to save her childhood friend Chloe. From there on, Max becomes more and more involved with the issues that plague Blackwell and Arcadia, as well as the all around supernatural weirdness.

Gameplay-wise, it's extremely similair to The Walking Dead/The Wolf Among Us, in that the focus on moreso on the story and interaction with characters than on collecting items to solve puzzles. Rewinding Time has a simulair effect to the Future Vision from Sam&Max: The Devil's Playhouse, in that it's often used to go back in time with information to use at the start of a conversation or situation to have it pan out differently. Although it's cool to see them take this concept further, I do think it eventually starts to get repetetive. The rest of the game is mostly spend taking photos and interacting with ther characters to progress the story.

So far 2 episodes have been released; Episode 1 Chrysalis and Episode 2 Out of Time. The game is more of a visual novel than a standard Point-n-Click/Adventure game, so I highly recommand playing it for the sake of the story. Gameplay- and graphics wise the game isn't much to write home about (though later chapters might spice that up, who knows, and the graphics aren't bad, if only a bit standard) but the story is cool (and given the game's episodic nature is bound to keep you on the edge of your seat for a while), the soundtrack is nice and it's really interesting to see how Max develops as a character.

The game's (first two episodes) are out for PC, Playstation 3/4 and XBox 360/One.

Here are some screenies of the game if you're interested;

(you can now tweet mean things at me on Twitter @StevenEggplant)

Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:32 pm

Personally the best part of it ever.

Super Best Friends have been playing through it, and while I'm enjoying it, every last character is hipster trash or has the most "I'm evil" personality.

Commission info - http://reiforce.deviantart.com/journal/

Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:41 pm

The writing in this is f*** terrible

Like I know I'm obviously not the target audience but still

It's terrible

Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:25 pm
Site Moderator

Waifu: Trollbean
i hear about it being bad but i've never actually looked at it personally

that's the extent of my knowledge//opinions about the game ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:29 pm

Term wrote:
i hear about it being bad but i've never actually looked at it personally

that's the extent of my knowledge//opinions about the game ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You aren't kool enough to chill wit thez besties.

Only a slight exaggeration, but yeah, the subtitles are written in "I'm trying to be young."

Decisions seem to matter a bit more than in Telltale games, with even the really small things like examining objects affectings stuff that happens.

Commission info - http://reiforce.deviantart.com/journal/

Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:11 pm

Currently Playing: with power. Nintendo power.
It's an awful teenage hipster power fantasy. Every "evil" character is either written to be interpreted as evil, like her friend's stepfather, who stands in defense of hidden cameras on campus because he's protective of the stepdaughter who almost gets shot at the start of the game, or is about as realistic and rational as Snidely Whiplash, like the dean who completely dismisses a girl's claim of getting roofied because... because. Max talks to a goddamn police officer in the second episode, and not once does she get the option to say "hey, this kid had a gun yesterday, me and my friend are both witnesses." You can't rely on grown ups! Who cares if being reliable is literally their job!

I just got Kid Icarus.
And it is ridicarus.

I should warn you for that

Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:50 am
 [ 6 posts ]