The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 5:33 am

[ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 24  Next
Your Religion? 

Currently Playing: SSF2
Atheism... Atheists worship nothing. That's somewhat deceiving, because if you worship nothing, then your wants come first in life.

Click to expand thumbnail

Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:11 pm

Currently Playing: Ninja Gaiden III
People who don't follow a religion?

They deem that religion isn't important enough to follow right? Therefore, they say that, even if there was a god, that they wouldn't be important enough to follow. This shows their view of God. This may not be a conscious decision but it still is the underlying idea. Either that, or they say 'I'm a good guy, I don't need all of this to get (heaven, good reincarnation, etc.)' thus effectively acknowledging a religion, but not following it. This also leads to the concept of 'I am my own God'. While the person is not a divine figure, you are of the assumption that you have complete control over your life, you know the ultimate truth, and you know what is right and what is wrong.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:13 pm

Evolution.... Evolution states:

a. You rule your own life
b. There is no such thing as supernatural beings
c. After you are dead, that's it, your life is over
d. And lastly, humans evolved from monkeys, etc.
humans are slowly evolving, and getting smarter every 10,000 years... so evolutionists state.

A small handful of evolutionists think that God created the particle of dust the became the Big Bang...

*I am Christian, opposite of evolution.*

Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:23 pm

Currently Playing: Ninja Gaiden III

This took me a long time to type, so put the effort in to reading it

Speedtrap wrote:

humans are slowly evolving, and getting smarter every 10,000 years... so evolutionists state.

A small handful of evolutionists think that God created the particle of dust the became the Big Bang...

No it doesn't, maybe the last two, d. and e. but not the first 3.

Evolution states that the lifeforms we have now are the results of mutations of earlier beings, (there are two sub-theories which are at ends at how fat this takes, but I won't go into that). This means that guinea pigs and mice both had a common ancestor.

I am an educated Christian. I believe that evolution probably happened, however humans were made in a different batch (in the bible, you'll notice that mankind was created separately to all other lifeforms, also that humans were made in the image of God, not apes, not pigs, not fish, humans. If humans and apes were both from a common ancestor, evolution would have made us in God's image and I don't think that that would have happened.

In Genesis 1, we read of God's creation of Earth. It says 'on the first day', 'on the second day' and so forth. However, irrefutable scientific research has shown that the whole universe is billions of years old, not the 6013 years old that a Catholic guy worked out using numbers of the bible back in the middle ages. This means that the 'days' mentioned earlier cannot have been literal days. This makes sense however, as the first (off the top of my head) 4(?) chapters of Genesis are incredibly poetic. Not only that but they had a purpose.

They showed
    1. Who made everything
    2. Why bad things happen
    3. Mankind's place in the world
    4. The marital structure

It doesn't say exactly how God made, there are no references to molecular fusion, or cellular mutation. This is quite probably because they were not an advanced civilization, who would not have understood it.

We have an ordered world, a world that makes sense, with laws like gravity and so forth. We have been given minds that can analyse and attempt to make sense of the world. Science is the 'how of the world'. It answers questions like 'how does water boil?' 'how does the sun come up?' It can not answer the 'why' questions 'why do people fall in love?' 'why was the universe formed', things like that. That is religion's domain. Religion answers the 'why' questions of life (or at least the important ones anyway).

Bringing this back to the statement made, evolution has not contradicted the bible. The bible did not give a scientific description of the universe's creation, merely one coming from a religious point of view. Evolution is a scientific theory to fill in the gaps. It doesn't contradict Christianity.

a. There are NO mentions of who rules your life.
b. It doesn't say there are no such things as supernatural beings, supernatural beings could use evolution as a tool to achieve what we have today.
c. There are NO mentions of what happens after death
d. Sure it said humans evolved from monkeys, fish, amphibians, bacteria, etc. but that is only a small part of the evolutionary theory, it (in my opinion), is the only place where it falls down but, unlike a train of dominoes, if that bit falls down, the rest can remain standing
e. What's wrong with humans getting smarter? Getting stronger?

This took me a long time to type, so put the effort in to reading it

Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:48 pm

Waifu: I'm married
Speedtrap wrote:

A tl;dr version of what DVDVDV-whatever said
Evolution doesn't say any of that, it merely states that those who can adapt to fit their environment will survive, and those who can't adapt will not survive.
Saying that Christianity contradicts this is like saying that Christianity states a regular goldfish will survive in a frying pan.

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:39 pm
YIM WWW

I'm catholic and i believe in evolution, doesnt mean I have to go against all non-christians, same for you speed man.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:48 pm

Currently Playing: The Game
|~DVDV~| wrote:
People who don't follow a religion?

They deem that religion isn't important enough to follow right? Therefore, they say that, even if there was a god, that they wouldn't be important enough to follow. This shows their view of God. This may not be a conscious decision but it still is the underlying idea. Either that, or they say 'I'm a good guy, I don't need all of this to get (heaven, good reincarnation, etc.)' thus effectively acknowledging a religion, but not following it. This also leads to the concept of 'I am my own God'. While the person is not a divine figure, you are of the assumption that you have complete control over your life, you know the ultimate truth, and you know what is right and what is wrong.

Irreligion is an absence of, indifference towards, and/or hostility towards religion.

Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:25 am

A.K.A, Atheism...

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:02 pm

If Atheism is just not believing in religion, then who is someone who has a deep hate for religion?

The devil is even a little scared of you!
http://zero-xesend.mybrute.com

Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:39 pm

Speedtrap wrote:
A.K.A, Atheism...

Uh, no. Atheism is just someone who has no faith. I'm perfectly fine with religion, just not people who shove it onto others.

Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:41 pm

I see...

Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:55 pm

Currently Playing: Vanquish
I was going to say that, but DVDV said for me.
I share the same beliefs that DVDV said/

Speedtrap wrote:
A.K.A, Atheism...

There are many different types of Atheists, many don't care about religion but don't discriminate for those who do.
Some want to invade religions private sphere of influence and obilterate it completetly from existence.
It's commonly refered to as "New Atheism."

Like DVDV stated...again.

Also Big Bang theory is dead, long live Membrane theory.
:3

Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:59 pm

Currently Playing: The Game
Octodooks wrote:
Some want to invade religions private sphere of influence and obilterate it completetly from existence.

From what I understand from that, I'm guessing erasing the influence of religion would herald very interesting times.

Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:27 am

Currently Playing: Vanquish
Thaiberium wrote:
Octodooks wrote:

From what I understand from that, I'm guessing erasing the influence of religion would herald very interesting times.

Actually, it would.
It might not be the good kind of interesting though.

Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:52 am

Waifu: I'm married
Sure it would, 99% of assholes, idiots, and genocide would vanish.

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:10 pm
YIM WWW
 [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 24  Next