The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 1:04 pm

[ 362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next
Samus 

MGN Username: Sachamel
Yeah, they do an amazing job! But obviouly there's always room for improvment, but most are little things.

So to keep in topic, any good tips to avoid Samus' bombs? I just can't seem to get around em and get hit like 90% of the time.

Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:32 pm

MGN Username: Airra
Sachamel wrote:
So to keep in topic, any good tips to avoid Samus' bombs? I just can't seem to get around em and get hit like 90% of the time.

As a no-good-dirty-rotten-bomb-spammin'™ Samus, I tend to drop bombs where you're likely to go next. I often get ready to set them up when you're getting aggressive and I feel the need to lock down your movement options. I also tend to use my bombs to prevent aerial follow-ups when knocked into the air, and I'm going to drop them if you're waiting below me during Samus's slow falling speed. I tend to have trouble against players who space out their approaches and stay just above the stage and below Samus's jump height.

Often times, I'll chase a thrown opponent onto a platform for another bomb drop, so try to influence your direction away during a throw, since Samus's high jumps makes it somewhat difficult to accurately chase an enemy sent into the air at lower percentages.

On occasion, when I'm playing extra aggressively, I notice my bombs will be power-shielded while I attempt to drop them inside someone's hurtbox, sending me into stun and sometimes allowing them a follow-up. I believe Fox's Reflector and Mario's cape share similar effects on the bombs. Black Mage's Stop, as well, though I don't think that'd be quite as reliable.

You can punish the bombing a bit with a projectile if it's being used at an odd distance. During the bomb animation, Samus is in the air for a moment and is unable to attempt to shield during that brief period of time. Perhaps you could force a Samus to sit on top of her bomb and give her an unplanned bomb jump for an opening.

On another note, I've been seeing some weirdness where disjointed hitboxes can cause the attacker to take damage if they hit the bombs. So I'd recommend trying to find a workaround for your character, should you lack a decent projectile option. Perhaps keeping her immobile with grabs, or something.

This is mostly from my Samus-playing experience, so I can't exactly speak for others (having not really played against another Samus online), but I hope it helps you get an idea on what to expect so you can read out the bomb placements more easily.

I personally think her Morph Bombs could use a slightly smaller hitbox (and maybe fall slower) to make them less reliable for me, but I'm not an expert balancer by any means.

Last edited by Airra on Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:28 am

Here's a little hypothetical: what if, instead of falling, the bombs just stayed in the air like in the games. Everything else would be the same, from the hitbox to the damage to the time of explosion, they just didn't fall.

Would that be better or worse?

Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:20 am
BR Member

please no

i dont want a stationary wall of bombs i have to work through along with the missle/blue ball spam

Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:21 am

MGN Username: Sachamel
Airra wrote:
Everything you said.

Oh my god, thank you so much! Thanks for the thorough response, I'll try to keep in mind all that stuff.

Airra wrote:
On another note, I've been seeing some weirdness where disjointed hitboxes can cause the attacker to take damage if the hit the bombs. So I'd recommend trying to find a workaround for your character, should you lack a decent projectile option. Perhaps keeping her immobile with grabs, or something.

I've noticed this problem too, but it isn't exclusive to the bombs. I remember seeing Zamus' whip clank with Link's sword and one of them getting hit (think it was Zamus, but not 100% sure).

Airra wrote:
I personally think her Morph Bombs could use a slightly smaller hitbox (and maybe fall slower) to make them less reliable for me, but I'm not an expert balancer by any means.

Agree 100%, just a tad smaller would be nice and they wouldn't lose their usefulness.

Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:57 am
BR Member

MGN Username: TSF|Cookies
Currently Playing: PM, Melee, Ultimate, Hollow Knight
I love this Samus. Great defense game with her projectiles and an amazing air speed combined with a Bair that kills better than Kirbys (and great juggling aerials) make her really dangerous. I honestly dont know much else to say what hasnt been said already. The only thing Id like to see would be a Charge Beam similar to Mega Mans Mega Buster. I mean, you can run around and charge your Beam in every Metroid game, so why not here? Although it then should get some kockback reduce.

Shoutouts to Harr for this sick player card!

Join Chibi Nation, the 20CR Discord for all aspiring Chibi-Robo mains!

Click to expand thumbnail

Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:36 am
BR Member

MGN Username: Zapperrix
Why did her jump height get reverted?

ZERO_OR wrote:
Also their is no such things as GODS.

Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:02 am
BR Member

I like the new design of the bombs, but is it just me or is bomb jump worse than before? And why got her air speed/mobility nerfed? I liked how you could use them for running/surprise attack. Just when I started maining her... Buuuuut, Ill guess I have to get used first...

Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:25 pm

MGN Username: Zalozis Zemsis
Currently Playing: Gundam Wing: Endless Dual | Melty Blood: Actress Again Current Code | Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Zapperrix wrote:
I don't know, but it didn't make it any senses to begin with. Samus' short-hop is only about 20% higher than Mario's in official Smash games. Last patch ver., her short-hop was about 300% higher than Mario's. It was essentially a full-jump. At least now it feels coherent and she can actually SHFF her aerials for rushdown.

Other things:
- Bombs are smaller, but seem to have the same knockback effect. The also halt Samus when moving at high momentum. Bomb-jumps times feels a bit different now because of this.
- Super Missiles seem to travel slower, and Homing ones doesn't have as ridiculous tracking as before.
- Ground and Air versions of Screw Attack do not seem to jump as high as before.

Haven't test a lot about her yet, but nerfing missiles a bit is quite welcome. Her zoning seems weaker, but her feels offense consistent now.

Luigi Movement, Cancel, Tech, etc.
YouTube Video:
SSF2 Google Drive
". . . Emphasis . . . of players helping one-another"

Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:29 pm

MGN Username: gEmssbguy13
Currently Playing: Smash Bros, FNaF, Undertale, GMod, Delver, Xenoblade, ect...
Zalozis wrote:
Zapperrix wrote:
I don't know, but it didn't make it any senses to begin with. Samus' short-hop is only about 20% higher than Mario's in official Smash games. Last patch ver., her short-hop was about 300% higher than Mario's. It was essentially a full-jump. At least now it feels coherent and she can actually SHFF her aerials for rushdown.

Other things:
- Bombs are smaller, but seem to have the same knockback effect. The also halt Samus when moving at high momentum. Bomb-jumps times feels a bit different now because of this.
- Super Missiles seem to travel slower, and Homing ones doesn't have as ridiculous tracking as before.
- Ground and Air versions of Screw Attack do not seem to jump as high as before.

Haven't test a lot about her yet, but nerfing missiles a bit is quite welcome. Her zoning seems weaker, but her feels offense consistent now.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

THANK YOU MCLEODGAMING! :D :D

Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:43 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Zapperrix
I don't see why you're rejoicing. If anything, Missiles got better due to them having melee missile canceling; that means Samus can run off a platform to missile cancel and then do what ever she wants, along with other missile cancel tricks. Super Missiles also kill earlier now, and the Homing Missiles are faster. Combine the Missiles with Charge Shot, her tilts (which got better fyi), and her aerials, Samus still can keep you out and control the stage just fine. And the Bombs may be smaller, but bomb jumps (and other bomb techs) are much more consistent. At first I thought that Samus was weaker, but she's better in this patch.

Still, why was F-smash nerfed? I know that B-air and D-air got knockback reductions, but they are still potent kill moves. F-smash wasn't even a super fast move. Sure, it needed some lower knockback, but I shouldn't be barely killing Zelda from the middle of FD at 130 (without DI, meaning should could have survived it).

ZERO_OR wrote:
Also their is no such things as GODS.

Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:32 am
BR Member

MGN Username: joey
Currently Playing: joey
Waifu: joey
I actually liked 9b samus. Sure, even though there was no short hop and bombs were OP, she was good and very fun to play as. But the patched samus, I'm not sure about. I was so happy when i found out that samus has a legit shorthop. But everything else feels... Off. Her specials, aerials, tilts, and smash attacks just don't feel satisfying and downright weird when you get a hit in.

Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:38 am
Site Admin

MGN Username: [TSON]
Currently Playing: with myself
the original samus was designed with "let's make everything work cool with bombs" in mind, this one is designed to play like melee samus

Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:24 am

MGN Username: Airra
I like the changes to Samus. I'm not a no-good-dirty-rotten-bomb-spammin'™ Samus anymore.

Strategy!!

Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:59 am
BR Member

One question: Is it supposed that the missiles stop Samus in mid-air?

Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:52 am
 [ 362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next