The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 4:59 am

[ 8 posts ] 
Tz's Application 
BR Member

MGN Username: TzOG C
Currently Playing: SSF2, SSBM, SSBB,
Name (aka Handle): TzOG C

How old are you?: 17 years old

Which characters do you play in SSF2? Why do you play these characters? (Note: do not list characters that are not currently in the game): I main Jiggs/Fox and Secondary a Marth/Peach. I first started playing Jiggs to help my friend learn Jiggs. Now I play Jiggs because she has evolved into my main all the while pleading for a rest buff. I started maining Fox when I really got into Melee. The reasons for my maining of Fox is because I wanted techskill practice and after a while started to like playing as Fox, plus shine is too good. Peach was my main back in 0.9a when I was recognized as the best player at my school. I mained Peach more so to handicap myself in that demo but I ended up really liking her, it helps the first competitive video I saw of Melee was Armada v Mango WFs. I have nothing to say about Marth except for I need a top tier, albeit Fox is up there.

How much experience do you have with official Smash titles? (SSB64, Melee, Brawl. Include in this answer which characters you play/played.): Casually I've been playing since SSB64 but competitively I started with SSF2 in which I'm still not a year old competitively.

Have you ever attended any Smash tournaments? If so, give some details about the tournament (number of participants, which games, etc). How well did you place?: Do SSF2 tournaments count? If so I've entered into 18 tournaments but I'm sure around 5 were canceled or I forgot to go to, so more around 12-15.

When did you start playing SSF2?: I started playing casual SSF2 back in v0.7a, started playing to win in 0.9a, and started playing competitively in 0.9b.

What is your favorite stage in SSF2? Explain.: In terms of my main, Jiggs, Dreamland, in terms of a competitive setting, Smashville. Dreamland is Jiggs best stage because of the bigger than normal blast boxes as well as platforms. With the ability to quick drop through platforms and a dash button, Jiggs can have crazy platform movement, something I try to use with all of my characters. Smashville is my favorite because its just the most neutral. I think of it like this, the flat part helps characters that are good on FD while the moving platform helps characters that like platforms while not undermining the "FD section" of the stage.

Who, in your opinion, should be placed first on the SSF2 tier list? Under competitive settings why would this character perform on a higher level than all others?: With the tier list out, I could easily say Metaknight but I personally believe it's Marth. With good spacing, smart play, and overall getting rid of bad habits makes Marth much more dangerous than Metaknight. Marth's greater range allows him to hang back than most other characters except MK as well has having a tipper property rewarding those that do so a lot. His non-tipper attacks can combo easily and set up a tipper. His recovery is decent and one of the safest on landing. Many people have negative MUs against Marth and Marth has less negative MUs than MK does. Marth has trouble (that means even or less) against ZSS, Ichigo, DK, and possibly Lloyd. MK has trouble vs Marth, ZSS, Ichigo, Lloyd, Link, Peach, and possible Chibi-Robo and Sora. That's why think Marth is the best.

Who, in your opinion, should be placed last on the SSF2 tier list? Under competitive settings why would this character perform on a lower level than all others?: I still think Sora is the worst character in SSF2. Besides maybe Jiggs and Kirbs, I don't think he has a single positive MU. His recovery is predictable and easily edgeguarded, he has few KO options, and even his massive combos can be avoided with smart play totally negating his entire game plan.

If you could make only one change to SSF2 as it currently is, what would it be and why?: If I could change SSF2, I would never nerf any characters (unless absolutely necessary) and just look for characters that need buffs and buff them.

What is your view on items in competitive play?: While they can "balance" the playing field against a higher-skilled opponent, that's not the point of competitive play. Competitive play is a measure of how good a player is, if one player is worse off than another player because of his skills, so be it.

Do you have or can you download Skype? You don't need a mic or webcam.: I don't think so, at least not right now. Computer too old for that.

Why do you want to join the Smash Flash Back Room? What will you contribute? Why are you an exceptional applicant? Be as detailed as possible. Why join? Because why not. In all seriousness, I would like to join to just add another brain to the mix. The more people vote on a subject, the more accurate it would be overall. What could I contribute as a SSFBR player? I could learn all of the character's bad MUs and find a way to play around that, I could also judge an MU in question and see if it's bad for this character or the other.

Additional information (Include in this section anything relevant to your application. This could include links to videos of yourself playing.): Umm...I gotz teh t3chsk1LLz.

"Anyone can KNOW everything, few can LEARN everything." ~Me...hopefully lol

The colors don't represent the character's default colors, rather they represent my chosen colors for them.

Sat May 30, 2015 12:41 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
Using the rules here to answer the following questions.

1. You're Fox against a Peach player. You strike first. What stage do you think you will play on the first game? Give explanations for both yours and your opponent's choices.

2. If you lose the first game, what stages do you think the Peach player will ban (assuming 3 bans)? Where do you want to counterpick, assuming that the Peach player does what you say they will?

3. Analyze the Fox v Peach matchup, giving a full and detailed explanation of the matchup, including but not limited to the neutral game, punish game, offstage game, etc. Conclude your analysis with a ratio of the form 60-40 (to indicate that Fox has a small but significant advantage over Peach) or 20-80 (Peach has an overwhelming advantage).

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Sat May 30, 2015 12:58 pm
BR Member

1) We would most likely be going to Smashville as it's my favorite stage and because just about every stage is in Fox's advantage or Peach's disadvantage. Yoshi's and PS3 help me the Fox player with the small blast boxes and limited room for the Peach while BF can screw over the Peach while presenting no real disadvantage to my Fox, especially if they rely on a turnip heavy game. FD/3DS is also in Fox's territory allowing to slowly but surely build up damage with just lasers.

2) They'll most likely ban Yoshi's, PS3, and BF. As for my counter pick would depend on the last game. If the game was close I'll most likely counter pick SV, if the peach dominated me, I would go FD/3DS.

3) Fox v Peach MU. Let's start with the Neutral, assume the stage is SV in the MU. Let's also assume techskill isn't a limit.

Neutral: In the Neutral, Fox has the complete advantage of being able to tack on damage with runaway lasers and a faster running speed. Dashdancing is also very useful if the Peach decides to go on a platform because Fox can catch any of Peach's rolls easily. If the Peach attempts to approach, Fox can easily space a Bair and just outrange and outpriortize the Peach. If the Peach is hanging back, slowly advancing lasers can force her out of her "shell" in which there are 3 possibilities: She starts retreating even more, in this case just keep slowly approaching with lasers. She starts approaching with a float, here you can runaway laser for less but guaranteed damage or approach with a well spaced Nair or Dair to start a combo. She starts approaching with a run, Peach's run is slow so here you have 3 options, runaway lasers, well spaced Nair or Dair, or dashdances that bait a move and then punish.

Combo: Peach may be a floaty but she's one of the bigger ones. This would technically allow for longer combos but Peach has her Nair, a tool that can combo break. Because of this, you want to avoid combos that require you to run across the stage a lot to continue. At low percents, a Hard Nair, Hard Bair, Soft Nair, and Dair can combo into shine which can then be used to combo into whatever you like (this is what I really like about Fox, creative combos). At mid percents, a Hard Nair can still combo but is harder to so while Soft Nair and Dair can still combo a lot. At higher percents, only Soft Nair and Dair will truly combo and it'll be better to use Dair for an easy Shine>Upsmash.

Punish: Both Peach and Fox have amazing punishes on each other but Fox has the advantage of being faster and having shine. If the Peach whiffs any attack that can be punished (this depends on the move used, how far away Fox is, lag, etc.), use shine to punish because shine can then be JC into what you would want. A safe bet would be Shine>Dair>Shine>Dair>Shine>Repeat until KO Percent>Dair>Shine>Upsmash. Peach's attacks can also be punished OoS with an OoS shine which can lead to the above.

Offstage: Laser. Always laser if the Peach is to far away to be effectively and safely edgeguarded. I believe a safe range is under maximum Fire Fox distance. An effective range can be between barely offstage to a Firefox+ range. Once Peach reaches that range, always go for a turnaround shinespike. Shinespike will force Peach to recover vertically which can again be shinespiked for death while the turnaround part of it will allow Fox to cover an early UpB or DJ with a Bair.

KO Options: Fox has many against Peach but the bests are UpSmash and Bair. An Upsmash will KO Peach practically around 80%* making it the better of the two but if UpSmashed can't be comboed into, Bair can make do if the Peach is around 110%*.

Defensive Combo: Lets say your Fox is getting comboed by Peach. Because of Peach's slow movement speed, even with her float, it's safe to DI away from the combo and tech. Where you tech depends on what the Peach wants to do. Use shine if she gets to close.

Defensive Punish: Much like the defensive combo section.

Defensive Offstage: If the Peach throws you offstage, it all depends on how far you went and if she's holding a turnip. If you don't fly very far from the stage, try to DJ back using shine if she has a turnip to reflect it. If you need to FireFox or Side B to make it back, try to sweetspot the ledge to avoid being edgeguarded, always keep in mind edge hogs tho'. If you need to DJ and Firefox or Side B, shine to bait her to come out and DJ when she gets close to force her behind you and use that time to recover to ledge or the stage. As always, high recoveries are an option.

Defensive KO Options: If you're at high percents, always try to tech. Because Fox is a fastfaller, it takes a shorter amount of time to reach the ground. Try to take advantage of this by DIing towards the stage and teching in to avoid flying to your Death, if done right, you'll live longer than just DIing in and hoping to recover. Teching away can still cause a KO because the momentum will still be preserved in the roll so it'll make you blast off the stage setting up for an easy edgeguard while teching in will send you to the edge of the stage or blow you slightly off but it'll still be harded to edgeguard...for the most part.

*I can't remember the KO percents off the top of my head.

Edit: Forgot Spacing

Spacing: Most generally Fox will out space Peach on the ground with Dtilt and Ftilt (remember that Peach's hitboxes are bigger than they appear to be) while in the air Peach can out space Fox with Fair but Fox can use Bair in retaliation which has as much range or close to it and is quicker.

Edit 2: Forgot the MU ratio. I think Fox v Peach is 70-30 in Fox's Favor

The colors don't represent the character's default colors, rather they represent my chosen colors for them.

Sat May 30, 2015 1:56 pm
BR Member

1. Fox v Marth is a very interesting matchup. Analyze the MU and explain who you think wins and by how much.

For Doom:
For Kicks:

Sat May 30, 2015 5:26 pm
BR Member

TheCodeSamurai wrote:
1. Fox v Marth is a very interesting matchup. Analyze the MU and explain who you think wins and by how much.

Being a Fox I'm gonna do this from the Fox's PoV. Should I assume you haven't read my Peach v Fox analysis? Many areas may be similar such as the combo area, I don't want to retype the optimal moves for a percentage range. Again assume techskill isn't a limiting factor.

Neutral: In Neutral, lasers and baits are vital because all of Marth's attacks out range all of Fox's attacks; however, much like all chars that require a good amount of spacing, Marth won't be able to handle ridiculous Fox pressure. You're gonna want to start by Lasering, don't approach too much, if you want to just a little. Once the Marth starts going towards start dashdancing. With well placed DDs, you'll bait one of Marth's laggier moves and punish. Approaching with turnaround shines that you get "stuck" in can also work, if the Marth sees that you're "stuck" they'll try to attack in which case you can use Bair, Fox's only move that can really compete with Marth's range. If the Marth approaches you in the air, Utilt is friend, especially vs Nair because with good reactions you can sneak a Utilt under the Marth. Vs Fair, you'll have to DD out of range and then come back in with a Utilt.

Combo: Vs Marth, Fox has a lot of combo options. As a Fox shine will always be your friend. Moves that combo into shine or being able to land a raw shine will also allow you to deal a maximum output of damage. Marth also has trouble landing one in the air so UpUairs will keep him up there. If the Marth gets "thrown" far away because of a messed up move, always try to hunt him down, as well as throw some lasers.

Punish: Fox's entire neutral vs Marth and many characters can be basically boiled down to lasers and baits, why? Because of Fox's outstanding punish game vs virtually all characters. You'll want to bait moves through DD or short range lasering, both options will pressure the Marth into acting which may or may not open him up, if he does open up, punish Dair or Soft Nair >shine>Dair>Shine>Dair>rinse and repeat...optimally. If that's not possible, try to put the Marth above you or offstage.

Offstage: As is true with virtually all characters, spam lasers until your opponent comes into a feasible edgeguard range. A grounded turnaround shine>JC>Bair or a normal Pivot Bair can KO the Marth early if he doesn't avoid the attack, turnaround shinespike>a possible Bair for option coverage can put the Marth below the stage for a disadvantageous position or another Shinespike or just knock the Marth too far away to recover. If the Marth makes it hard to edgeguard or is in a range where edgeguarding is too risky, grabbing the ledge to force a non-sweetspot>an onstage Dair once Marth lands can lead into two situations: Another edgeguard opportunity at a lower percent or a Shine>Upsmash at KO percents.

Pressure: While pressure is always an important part of Fox's game, it's especially so vs characters that require a lot of spacing and Marth is no exception. If you can always try to stay within a "danger" area around Marth but always go for baits and punish accordingly.

Defensively: Don't feel like doing this. I will if needed to. Just don't get grabbed and don't get Utilted around 25% as that leads to heavy Utilt and Uair strings.

The MU is 60-40 in Marth's favor.

Edit: I'm gonna be unorthodox and say the MU is really 57-43 in Marth's favor. I don't think the difference is as small as 55-45 but I don't think its as big as 60-40.

Edit 2: Umm...is there something I missed?

Sat May 30, 2015 7:54 pm
BR Member

I'm just gonna uhh...bump this right here. Sorry for the double post.

Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:38 am
BR Member

I'm gonna bump this again. Btw something I didn't realize until a few days ago, the Marth v Fox MU is heavily stage dependent, assume my MU analysis is on SV please.

Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:22 pm
BR Member

I'm sorry about the wait. Please know that we are discussing your application and that a decision will be made soon. We haven't forgotten you!

For Doom:
For Kicks:

Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:59 am
 [ 8 posts ]