The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 1:07 pm

[ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Bandana Dee 
Site Admin

MGN Username: [TSON]
Currently Playing: with myself
Everything we do is for a reason, we never just throw attacks in a slot just because. You first plan out a character's overall design, then you plan out attacks to compliment their design, and then you make sure they have notable weaknesses and strengths, and then you put them ingame and tweak from there for balance and overall "flow".

One of the major disadvantages of picking a floaty character is that they have difficulty getting back to the ground and usually a dead zone from below, so giving them a powerful stall-then-fall dair like Moon Drop would break the character balance. We also needed the stall-then-fall functionality for aerial down special. Spear Barrage isn't Dee's standard combo because it is too similar to Vulcan Jab in feel and we wanted to further separate Kirby from Dee. Bair is a kick because literally every other aerial (and most of the moveset) is some sort of weapon attack, so more melee attacks help to balance the feel. The RtDL jump is used for the multijumps and KSSU is used for the ground jump. etc. etc. etc.

Believe me we take character representation extremely seriously, we will always do our best to do a character justice but you just have to Sakurai it sometimes in order to make the character fit their archetype and/or be balanced. Getting too carried away with canon representations is one of the most fatal mistakes that Smash fangames make because they prioritize that over the way the moves actually feel and how the character overall handles. Dee has hands down been received unbelievably well by anyone who's played him, and we hope that when you actually try him out all of your concerns will just melt away. Sakurai was able to do that to me with Ness & Lucas's Smash movesets which are FAAAAAR worse canonically, our hope is that it's the same here.

Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:08 am

Currently Playing: SSF2, SSB, SSBM
tson wrote:
Everything we do is for a reason, we never just throw attacks in a slot just because. You first plan out a character's overall design, then you plan out attacks to compliment their design, and then you make sure they have notable weaknesses and strengths, and then you put them ingame and tweak from there for balance and overall "flow".

One of the major disadvantages of picking a floaty character is that they have difficulty getting back to the ground and usually a dead zone from below, so giving them a powerful stall-then-fall dair like Moon Drop would break the character balance. We also needed the stall-then-fall functionality for aerial down special. Spear Barrage isn't Dee's standard combo because it is too similar to Vulcan Jab in feel and we wanted to further separate Kirby from Dee. Bair is a kick because literally every other aerial (and most of the moveset) is some sort of weapon attack, so more melee attacks help to balance the feel. The RtDL jump is used for the multijumps and KSSU is used for the ground jump. etc. etc. etc.

Believe me we take character representation extremely seriously, we will always do our best to do a character justice but you just have to Sakurai it sometimes in order to make the character fit their archetype and/or be balanced. Getting too carried away with canon representations is one of the most fatal mistakes that Smash fangames make because they prioritize that over the way the moves actually feel and how the character overall handles. Dee has hands down been received unbelievably well by anyone who's played him, and we hope that when you actually try him out all of your concerns will just melt away. Sakurai was able to do that to me with Ness & Lucas's Smash movesets which are FAAAAAR worse canonically, our hope is that it's the same here.

I put my trust in you this time tson.

Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:17 am

tson wrote:

Well, thanks for clearing that up, TSON. Honestly, I was wondering why moves like the Spear Barrage, Moon Drop, and (going by your explanation, I'm going to guess here) Megaton Punch, aren't featured all that prominently in B.D.'s moveset. Still, I have two questions I'd like to get out of the way, if you don't mind:

1. His D-Special is the Parasol Dive, right? I saw the wiki, and it called it the "Smash Umbrella". That's not right, is it?

2. You said you named ALL of his moves, right? Do you have a list you could share with us? (A list of the move names, I mean.)

Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:12 am

Waifu: zero suit wario
Sorry if I sounded too harsh up there but I jsut wanted to say my opinion on his moveset.
tson wrote:

One of the major disadvantages of picking a floaty character is that they have difficulty getting back to the ground and usually a dead zone from below, so giving them a powerful stall-then-fall dair like Moon Drop would break the character balance. We also needed the stall-then-fall functionality for aerial down special. Spear Barrage isn't Dee's standard combo because it is too similar to Vulcan Jab in feel and we wanted to further separate Kirby from Dee. Bair is a kick because literally every other aerial (and most of the moveset) is some sort of weapon attack, so more melee attacks help to balance the feel. The RtDL jump is used for the multijumps and KSSU is used for the ground jump. etc. etc. etc.]

Okay, if you wanted to take out Spear Barrage to differentiate Dee from Kirby... please tell me why you kept Kirby's F-Throw, you know: The Kirbycide (I forgot the canon name). There's absolutely no reason for him to have it, he has never used it in the games he's appeared in and just makes him feel like a Kirby pastiche (F-Throw, multi hit F-Air, single hit B-air, etc). You could have used any Parasol move too deviate from him (Kirby has several Parasol moves he could borrow him given Bandana here uses a parasol).
(Btw, Ness and Lucas get the excuse of having non canon moves because they're meant to represent their games, not their actual characters. Also Ness keeping his kicks and punches gets an excuse because he's a veteran, and he has had those moves since Smash 64, a low budget game that had limited resources for the attacks, which limits also DK and Samus but somehow they still feel spot-on) My complains about Bandana Dee are because he's a new character in Smash proper, and most likely the first interaction most people are gonna have with this character.
Also, the fact he uses a generic kick for his B-Air sound silly to me, because: If you were a warrior, specialized in weaponry, why would you resort to melee attacks if those weapons can get the job right?

Honestly, I might as well just shut up and make a Kirby smash fangame more related to canon... actually, that doesn't sound too bad.

Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:47 pm

MGN Username: Bedoop
Currently Playing: Rayman Origins
Waifu: CLEOD-BOT
Kirb-Star wrote:
Honestly, I might as well just shut up and make a Kirby smash fangame more related to canon... actually, that doesn't sound too bad.

Can I help
I'm incredibly lazy and will probably just be there to watch and occasionally suggest things
But can I help :chibirobo:

Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:16 pm

Currently Playing: bye bye MG
Bedoop wrote:
Kirb-Star wrote:

Can I help
I'm incredibly lazy and will probably just be there to watch and occasionally suggest things
But can I help :chibirobo:

Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:55 pm

Uy men, que buen momo! ;v

Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:08 pm

Currently Playing: SSF2, SSB, SSBM
Kirb-Star wrote:

I believe in you the star of kirb, go take a dump and that's how the fan game will be made.

:kirby:

Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:14 pm

Currently Playing: bye bye MG
Kirb-Star wrote:

b**** i dont speak taco

Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:15 pm

Translation: Uy man, what a good maymay :chibirobo:

Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:13 pm

MGN Username: Drarky
Currently Playing: SSF2, Starbound
Waifu: Lenna Tycoon
Kirb-Star wrote:

As someone who has to deal with this in a daily basis, this made me cringe.

I seriously hate the LA community that I'm stuck with :blackmage:

ImageImageImageImage

Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:04 am

Es sólo un chiste, hombre.

Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:18 am
Site Admin

MGN Username: [TSON]
Currently Playing: with myself
Kirb-Star wrote:
Okay, if you wanted to take out Spear Barrage to differentiate Dee from Kirby... please tell me why you kept Kirby's F-Throw, you know: The Kirbycide (I forgot the canon name). There's absolutely no reason for him to have it, he has never used it in the games he's appeared in and just makes him feel like a Kirby pastiche (F-Throw, multi hit F-Air, single hit B-air, etc). You could have used any Parasol move too deviate from him (Kirby has several Parasol moves he could borrow him given Bandana here uses a parasol).

Again, the minimizing of weapon attacks. You have to find a good balance.

Kirb-Star wrote:
Also, the fact he uses a generic kick for his B-Air sound silly to me, because: If you were a warrior, specialized in weaponry, why would you resort to melee attacks if those weapons can get the job right?

So then what you're saying here is that no weapon-wielders should ever attack with anything but their weapons? This is a fatal flaw in moveset design. It's about balance and the direction you want the character to go in. Bomberman shouldn't just use bombs, Mario shouldn't just use fire, Naruto shouldn't just use clones, Link shouldn't just use his weapons, ZSS shouldn't just use her gun/whip, in official Smash Dedede shouldn't just use his hammer. You'll find characters that DO use their sword 100% of the time, like Lloyd, but that is simply because they were designed as such - a long range bruiser with close range weaknesses. If we did the same with Dee, it would feel forced and foreign as a floaty character. Please believe that these things were planned and experimented with ahead of time.

Design/gameplay is something I feel like we consistently deliver in and I don't think Beta is any exception.

Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:07 pm

MGN Username: ShadowAssasin2600
tson wrote:
Kirb-Star wrote:
Kirb-Star wrote:
in official Smash Dedede shouldn't just use his hammer.

RIP Dedede Bair from Brawl, 2008 - 2014

Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:10 pm

MGN Username: Bedoop
Currently Playing: Rayman Origins
Waifu: CLEOD-BOT
TheRebornBowser wrote:
tson wrote:
Kirb-Star wrote:
tson wrote:
in official Smash Dedede shouldn't just use his hammer.

RIP Dedede Bair from Brawl, 2008 - 2014

A lot more than BAir changed from Melee to Hammer over the Brawl > Smash 4 shift, some were for the better whilst others were for the worse
...Come to think of it, BDee's BAir reminds me a lot of Dedede's old BAir in terms of animation.
Maybe he's learnin' a thing or two from his king. :chibirobo:
tson wrote:
So then what you're saying here is that no weapon-wielders should ever attack with anything but their weapons? This is a fatal flaw in moveset design.

I don't mean to add fuel to the fire (Just take this as a comment from an idiot and I expect a paragraph as to why I'm wrong and should feel bad for opening my mouth) but Smash 4 kindof has a lot of these
Mii Gunner/Swordsman, Little Mac (It technically counts since he only ever uses his fists and nothing else), Mega Man for the most part, people like that
There are characters who can exclusively use one tool and still work out fine, in my eyes
It's just that it's rather hard to do. :chibirobo:

Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:21 pm
 [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next