The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 12:15 pm

Forum rules

DO NOT POST YOUR OWN UNFINISHED GAMES YOU'VE CREATED HERE!

To post about your own projects go here: viewforum.php?f=41

[ 1424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 95  Next
The Legend of Zelda 

Currently Playing: UNIST
Alright, I hate to double post, but seeing as it's been a few days and this is also a completely different post, I'll post here.
I honestly can not enjoy Skyward Sword, as much as I want to and I'd really love to.

One of the large problems I have is Skyloft. I get lost in that goddamn town within five minutes. It feels so clumped as opposed to somewhere like, say, Kakariko (OOT), Clock Town (MM), or Market or whatever that was (TP). At least in Clock Town, I could have a general sense of where I was going, where in Skyloft, a s*** of the houses look exactly the same. The map isn't really all that helpful either. I mean, it gives me a general direction to go, but it's an outright pain in the a**.

Fi is really, really annoying. I was sort of hoping for something closer to Midna than Samus's scanning visor. But at least Samus's scanning visor doesn't tell me where to go every 5 minutes telling me it's a 90% chance of being correct. And on top of that, Fi forces you to talk to her so much. Hell, Navi isn't as annoying as her despite the fact she wasn't really all that annoying in the first place. At least Navi had you stop somewhere where there are ceiling masters. Fi tells me the obvious, until I actually need it. At least you can mash B through Owly McOwl's textboxes.

The menus are a huge pain in the a** as well. I try to save and-- No, I don't want to go to the sky! I know you can use the damn control stick to do this, but then you have to be as still as all hell and move the control stick there. It would be so much easier if it was just normal choices like TP, OOT, or MM had.

Skyward Slash is also something I have a problem with. I don't see myself needing it that much, but when I do, it's really annoying to get my sword to be straight up. Hell, the motions in general are a problem: I have never had such difficulty with a Deku Baba. Or a Skulltula for that matter.

I understand this game is a prequel, but it really, really lacks races we're familiar with. Okay, Gorons, I never really liked them anyway, mind giving us something more badass like Zoras or even a legit Deku Scrub? I mean an actual race that doesn't try to slaughter you every two seconds, like Majora's Mask; if I remember correctly, the only Deku Scrubs in Skyward Sword are out for your blood. But instead we got Octoman's blue palette from F-Zero, raccoon trees, moles, and robots. I mean, I'll give you Wind Waker's tree spirits were pretty lame, but at least the flying race, whatever it's called (It's been ages since I last played) was relatively interesting and Medli was lovable.

The sky feels really empty too, but I -have- to watch it. I mean, at least with Wind Waker, I could go on my computer and check every minute or so to see where I was. But with the controls that the damn bird airplane tree thing has, I have to stare at the damn screen. The islands are very boring as well. "What's this? An island? Oh, it has nothing on it." Wind Waker's islands were at least relatively decent. I mean, each one had more of a purpose than the ones in Skyward Sword.

Link looks really ugly as well. I just can't like his appearance in this game. At least he was badass-looking in Twilight Princess. But Skyward Sword's is.. eugh. What happened to the Link that was in the original artwork that was revealed ages ago before Skyward Sword's name was even revealed?

Then, material collecting-- No, collecting in general. Collecting bugs is a real pain in the a**. I just can't do it without stomping the goddamned bug. I'll get maybe.. one every three? I think that's harder than it needs to be. And materials are just so hard to memorize in Skyward Sword due to the fact that they have nothing on the enemy. In Wind Waker, the materials that were not blatantly obvious were shown to you early in the game, like the butterfly pendants or whatever they were. The skull necklaces were on the moblins as well. And those drops were pretty common, unlike Skyward Sword where you have to kill like, 298349 enemies just to get one damn skull. Hence why I can't remember where I got those damn claws.

My last complaint for now is the Lanayru Desert. The quicksand is just so irritating. Do I really have to do -this- much to get into a dungeon? What happened to going to get the lens of truth, then walking through the desert? I thought the dungeons were meant to be the puzzles.

This is the only Zelda game that could not catch my attention. Sure, Phantom Hourglass couldn't keep my attention at first, but the game quickly grew on me to the point where I wouldn't stop playing. But no matter how hard I try with Skyward Sword, I just can't do it.

/prepares for hate

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:00 am
YIM

Waifu: You!
it's whats happening with good game series these days

constantly getting dumbed down so more of the pew pew shooter crowd (aka casual scrubs) can play the game and developers get to stack more paper$

look at ME3, Diablo 3, Portal 2, and especially Skyrim.

Diablo 3 especially, it's so horrible that such a great game series was destroyed so that Blizzard can get more money from the non-niche crowd. It's why Zelda is so great, it doesn't try to lure in new audiences (save for Skyward Sword) with flashy QTEs and explosions. But hey, there are a few series that haven't started it yet. Kingdom Hearts is still going strong and it hasn't descended into casuality.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:09 pm

MGN Username: Tid
Currently Playing: Deep™ The™ Game™
I didn't think Skyward Sword was really that guilty of that. To an extent definitely, but I think they just genuinely wanted to shift the formula around a little after sticking so true to it for so long. I really enjoyed the combat in the game and think it has a lot of potential, though I don't necessarily think it was fully explored in the game, and wasn't used as well as it could've been. I think the Silent realms were absolutely fantastic, no complaints there. I also really liked the fact that the overworld was denser and featured more puzzle solving itself, rather than just being a big bland open field, though I think the game would've done well to have expanded further on the sky portion of the game, (wind waker had it right) and maybe allow later in the game for some form of interconnectivity between the three regions, rather than leaving them as totally separate for the entirety.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:22 am

Currently Playing: Dota 2, CSGO, MGSV
Skyward Sword just had these technical nitpicks that really bugged the hell out of me. Like the menu popping up slowly for every new item and everything Fi says or does at all. Though it remains my second favorite in the series.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:48 pm

Yeah Fi annoyed the s*** out of me, especially early in the game, but honestly all the way through it.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:35 pm

MGN Username: Nixter
Currently Playing: Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
I liked the OG Zelda games.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:43 pm

Currently Playing: Apple
Waifu: Apple
i beat loz:oot and found Fi more annoying than navi

I AM APPLE

Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:43 pm

Navi's level of annoyance is more memetic than anything else. People who played the game before they were internet-savvy probably don't even think of her as that annoying.
Fi on the other hand is genuinely infuriating.

Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:59 am

Waifu: I'm married
Le Héros du Temps wrote:
it's whats happening with good game series these days

constantly getting dumbed down so more of the pew pew shooter crowd (aka casual scrubs) can play the game and developers get to stack more paper$

look at ME3, Diablo 3, Portal 2, and especially Skyrim.

Diablo 3 especially, it's so horrible that such a great game series was destroyed so that Blizzard can get more money from the non-niche crowd. It's why Zelda is so great, it doesn't try to lure in new audiences (save for Skyward Sword) with flashy QTEs and explosions. But hey, there are a few series that haven't started it yet. Kingdom Hearts is still going strong and it hasn't descended into casuality.

lol skyrim was changed to fix the s*** leveling system that made previous games a pain in the a**
whereas everything nintendo does is solely to sell more games
very interesting examples you used

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:33 pm
YIM WWW

Waifu: You!
well a good example of skyrim is the linearity of dungeons

in oblivion and morrowind they're like multi-levelled with all different branches of paths
in skyrim it's basically one line

but yea nintendo is just out for more money but they do it without making the games more and more casual (look at the f*** ds zelda games and other m)

i should really play skyward sword

Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:30 pm

You really should it's actually very good.

Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:57 am

Currently Playing: skyrim ponymon dawn and umvc3
guys I am getting ocarina of time on my 3ds for my birthday witch is on thursday tell me what's it like

Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:51 am

regular wrote:
guys I am getting ocarina of time on my 3ds for my birthday witch is on thursday tell me what's it like

Like Ocarina of Time.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:23 am

3D though

Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:41 am

Currently Playing: FE6-8, Radiant Historia, TWEWY
Shing wrote:
regular wrote:

Like Ocarina of Time.

You don't say? Anyway, from what I've read, the game's really good.

Sig courtesy of Arthur: eternally grateful.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:37 am
 [ 1424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 95  Next