The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 3:35 pm

[ 10 posts ] 
Mafia Tips and Tricks 
Site Moderator

Currently Playing: Dota 2, BoI: Rebirth, Fallout 4, Bloodborne, MGSV
Here you can share your personal tips for successful play, whether it be mafia or town, or even third party!

Lots of people have varying opinions on how you should go about playing, so butting heads will probably happen. Arguments aren't discouraged but please keep it under control. Please don't act as if your tips are definitive, because they most likely aren't.

Have fun!

AMA

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:47 pm

Currently Playing: FE6-8, Radiant Historia, TWEWY
Upon further consideration I have decided to remove these articles from MG for personal reasons.

I thank you for anyone who has read whatever advice I have tried to give.

Sig courtesy of Arthur: eternally grateful.

Last edited by Terra on Mon May 13, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:48 pm
Site Moderator

Currently Playing: sports
pro tip don't hammer yourself as town at lylo

Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:38 pm

MGN Username: 194
Currently Playing: most likely Celeste
Waifu: Curly Brace
As town, be wary of the commonplace scum phrases: Congratulating the doc for preventing a kill, freak out when being in MyLo/LyLo, question sanity on a cop, calling bus-drived interference. The former two are attempts at town reaction, while the latter two are easy ways yo handwave over accusations.

Avatar and signature pics by Semicolon.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:39 pm

Terra wrote:
Votecount analysis: show
DAY 2: Voting patterns and you
You should care about voting patterns. Ignore them and you'll risk missing out on a lot of information.

Let's start by outlining where a person is most likely to be scum on a town wagon:
First vote.
Second vote.
Second last vote.
Hammer.

Now I know what you're thinking, why is this so?
First of all, scum tend to be opportunistic, looking for ways to lynch townies, while, of course, being cautious. They are therefore likely to try to start bad bandwagons to lynch townies. Now it's easy to confuse this with a town player who is really interested in helping the town by forming cases against people who have not been inspected properly.
Scum also love bandwagoning, although some don't realize it. They like jumping on townies, and if they see a good case, they will immediately vote for it, hoping for the wagon to speed up and end in a lynch.
Scum love hammering and showing caution before a hammer/L-1 vote, as it doesn't make them look opportunistic(as scum are generally assumed to be, though not all are) and thus makes them read as town. Well, if a person scummily places a vote(i.e. little to no reasoning, trying to sound like they seriously want the person to die) then well, lynch them instead.

I'll add a disclaimer:
This should not be confused with people bandwagoning/doing what they do for the sake of trying in their twisted way to help the town. There are town and there are scum VIs.

"Mafia are opportunistic. As such, they will try to lynch people without looking opportunistic."
"The first person voting for a player who doesn't have a case on them so far is usually mafia."
"People who bandwagon on lynches are usually mafia."
"People who hammer are usually mafia."

This is hardly advice, you're just mapping out every possible situation in order to make yourself look sage and experienced at the game. The disclaimer at the end basically discredits everything you wrote. You certainly salute to banality.

Quote:
Rant on why people should analyze NKs: show
DAY 3: NK Analysis and you
Scum often get away with kills on strong town players. Why?

Not many people analyze the NK, and often scum can get away with attributing it to NK WIFOM. Here's a hint: the vast majority of scum kills are on players who are getting their reads right, even if they say scum are just killing them in order to throw them off. Seriously, 90% of scum kills are non-WIFOM.

Look at the player's posts after they've died. Look at who they suspect, their general play, their reputation etc., obviously depending on which night they've died on. If they've died on N1, look at their posts and reputation. if they've died on N2, look at their posts and their interactions etc.

The most important thing to remember is that most scum kills are non-WIFOM.

Do you have an unpublished thought on this forum?

Quote:
meta, oh meta: show
Day 5: Meta-the most important thing since scumhunting
Most people don't use meta, or at least don't apply it properly.

I'm here to tell you how.

Look at the general playstyle of each game and apply everything I've said previously into the playstyle. What parts only apply to town and what parts only to scum? Look carefully, then look for those traits in their game. Have fun!

Amazing. Can you teach me how to vote? I'm having a really hard time grasping all of these novel concepts you're throwing at me.

Quote:
UPDATE: check my sig. I'm retired, but I will be sporadically posting articles as per my usual rate.

That's cute, but nauseatingly pretentious at the same time.

Mon May 13, 2013 12:08 am
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Undertale
A truthier truth has yet to be written.

Mon May 13, 2013 12:15 am

I'm going to say some things you may disagree with, but eh, why not.

Towns should ideally do these things:
Town Things: show
-Kill the most dangerous scum
-Safeguard the identity, role and life of your town's PR(s)
-Protect players you think are town
-Encourage pro-town behavior
-Ensure a favorable environment for town
-Avoid attracting bandwagons
-Convince the town of your reads
-Get compliance from another player
-Survive
-Pick up on valuable information

Scum should ideally do these things:
Scum things: show
-Survive your bandwagon
-Protect your scumbuddy
-Out PR(s)
-Kill PR(s)
-Frame town
-Force townies into making exploitable mistakes
-Ensure a favorable environment for scum
-Set up future lynches
-Convince a town player that you're town
-Get compliance from a town player
-Manage your scumbuddies effectively

As you can see, scum's priority is to restrict as much information as possible while making themselves appear town. As town, you should be producing as much information as possible, discerning whether or not a person is appearing town or is actually town. Differences between the two can be noticed: for one, scum is likely to be much more cautious than town would in a given situation, as surviving is generally much more important in the hierarchy of scum things to do than town.
There is a large difference between anti-town and scum: anti-town, although bad, is generally ignorant rather than deliberate, in the sense that it's slightly excusable(does that make any sense). People who do anti-town things can have admirable motives, while scummy actions may not have the same light on them. The tricky part is in the difference.

Players who are confident and competent are surprisingly often scum, bussing. That same player as town misses things that their scum-self picks up on, that same town player lacks the same confidence because they don't know, that same player will be less effective at scumhunting as town than they are as scum. (Note that this is far from universal, and is incredibly player-specific. But in general, it's what I've observed: see Kyuubit, TOWK, Brik. As a counterexample, see me)

Games have been won and lost on PoE: in the games I've seen town victories, it was more a matter of who wasn't town than who was scum, and that was not just about role deduction. Look at the overall picture. Why is this person doing something, and how does this fit in their plan, if they have any?

If you want people to listen to you, I've noticed something. My random shouting in 14 did absolutely nothing, and my laissez-faire attitude in 17 wasn't exactly convincing either. I've found that TOWK, Brik and DJ hold a very good balance between the two spectrums, hence why they are so convincing as either alignment. Talk to the players rather than at them. Don't make judgements from a reserved point of view, and don't antagonize them either. After all, mafia is a team game. Always look for common ground, and ask everyone to explain their motives as mentioned before.

It's impossible to start a game immediately with content unless there is a mechanic in place that strongly favors there being content from the get-go. Thus, a method of generating content must be used. Some alternatives to the RVS have been tried. The RQS, for instance, being insanely popular in MG Mafia, ultimately favors scum more than town and doesn't get the game rolling any sooner. See 18 for a recent example.

I use the RVS because it's the method that has, by-and-large, proved the most effective at getting the results that the town want--content, soon, and useful content at that. Using it, a game could theoretically be out of the RVS before the end of page one (generally in smaller games) or two (in larger games). You might occasionally get an RVS that lasts longer thanks to some posting a ton of times in it, but even then, it typically ends in the same amount of time. (Generally within two real-life days, the Random Voting Stage has passed.) Not only is it easier to generate content soon in, but it's also something that can be fun. You can make jokes that don't otherwise fit into the game, you can have in-jokes that reference previously-played games, you can basically do your own thing for fun.

There's no universal method for finding scum. A key part of finding scum is recognizing scum thoughts. Their mindset, their motive, the intentions present in their post, are INCREDIBLY important to pick up on. A scummy player can be town whose words were scummy but intention was town. A townie player can be scum whose words looked good but were pushing a scum agenda. Mindset involves a lot of guesswork, and it's often wrong more than you get it right. But having meta knowledge helps, and also paying attention to those key interactions helps even more.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:57 pm
Site Moderator

Currently Playing: Dota 2, BoI: Rebirth, Fallout 4, Bloodborne, MGSV
While I'm perfectly fine with you giving general advice on the game itself, I have a problem with the two pieces below:
Terra wrote:
Players who are confident and competent are surprisingly often scum, bussing. That same player as town misses things that their scum-self picks up on, that same town player lacks the same confidence because they don't know, that same player will be less effective at scumhunting as town than they are as scum. (Note that this is far from universal, and is incredibly player-specific. But in general, it's what I've observed: see Kyuubit, TOWK, Brik. As a counterexample, see me)

I've found that TOWK, Brik and DJ hold a very good balance between the two spectrums, hence why they are so convincing as either alignment.

When you start specifically mentioning names of players on this forum, and saying "This is how they are in certain situations, you're highly risking meta becoming even more involved in our games than it already is, and the way it already is is too much. Please refrain from doing this as I don't ever want to see "well Terra said you act this way in the Tips and Tricks section" in an actual game. Thankies

AMA

Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:18 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Savvy, eh?
Currently Playing: Savvy's Art Academy
TheOneWhoKnocks wrote:
I don't ever want to see "well Terra said you act this way in the Tips and Tricks section" in an actual game. Thankies

Well shoot, there goes my strategy.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:21 pm

TheOneWhoKnocks wrote:
While I'm perfectly fine with you giving general advice on the game itself, I have a problem with the two pieces below:
Terra wrote:

I've found that TOWK, Brik and DJ hold a very good balance between the two spectrums, hence why they are so convincing as either alignment.

When you start specifically mentioning names of players on this forum, and saying "This is how they are in certain situations, you're highly risking meta becoming even more involved in our games than it already is, and the way it already is is too much. Please refrain from doing this as I don't ever want to see "well Terra said you act this way in the Tips and Tricks section" in an actual game. Thankies

That's fair enough. I'll refrain from doing this later on, though it'd be a bit harder to explain stuff.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:27 pm
 [ 10 posts ]