The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 5:26 pm

[ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
kidicarus29 sprites 

Last edited by kidicarus29 on Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:34 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:24 am

Currently Playing: League of Legends, Killing Floor 2, Overwatch
Waifu: Cleod9
Try to always save your files as a PNG file. JPEG lack in quality.

Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:33 am

~Jazzy~ wrote:
Try to always save your files as a PNG file. JPEG lack in quality.

OK heres the png version. Do you have more advice?

Last edited by kidicarus29 on Tue May 12, 2015 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:47 am
Maybe some wings?

Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:58 am

I added dark metaknight mixed with pacman original sprite done by Lisnovski but edited a lot by me

Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:10 pm

Currently Playing: League of Legends, Killing Floor 2, Overwatch
Waifu: Cleod9
EDIT: Not a rule but whatever

Last edited by Sazh on Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:14 pm

~Jazzy~ wrote:
kidicarus29 wrote:
I added dark metaknight mixed with pacman original sprite done by Lisnovski but edited a lot by me

Always always ALWAYS ASK PERMISSION BEFORE EDITING ANOTHER USER'S SPRITE. I believe that not only is it a rule on the forum, but also common courtesy. I'm not trying to backseat mod, I just know a lot of users could get upset but it and I'm just looking out for a fellow forum member. Lisnovski also gets butthurt pretty easily (;

But to be honest.. It doesn't exactly look like you "edited it a lot".

Wow sorry I was just trying to add dark Meta Man.I asked lisnovski how he sprites but he didnt respond yet

Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:39 pm

MGN Username: Lisnovski1
Currently Playing: Super Smash Flash 2 Beta
Waifu: Myself
kidicarus29 wrote:
~Jazzy~ wrote:
kidicarus29 wrote:

Always always ALWAYS ASK PERMISSION BEFORE EDITING ANOTHER USER'S SPRITE. I believe that not only is it a rule on the forum, but also common courtesy. I'm not trying to backseat mod, I just know a lot of users could get upset but it and I'm just looking out for a fellow forum member. Lisnovski also gets butthurt pretty easily (;

Wow sorry I was just trying to add dark Meta Man.I asked lisnovski how he sprites but he didnt respond yet

But did you asked about Meta-c-Man?

Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:57 pm

Lisnovski wrote:
kidicarus29 wrote:
~Jazzy~ wrote:
kidicarus29 wrote:

But did you asked about Meta-c-Man?

Oh no sorry I guess i forgot lol sorry xD

do you have any advice on my OC or meta man? Can I still edit Meta Man?

Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:58 pm
Site Moderator

Waifu: ElvisDitto
Hey there pal, I heard you wanted some feedback so I thought I'd drop by. I'm not the best at feedback so hold on tight haha

First of all, changing the size of a sprite can be done is any program. I'm going to assume you're using Paint here- use the select tool to select the general area around your sprite, and then shrink or enlarge it by dragging the edges of the box. Beware though- resizing may cause a sprite to lose its quality, so watch out.

Second of all, you seem to know your way around the line tool in Paint, that's good since it's what you're mostly going to use. Try to keep the edges smooth though, the shoulders for example could be curvier to give a better outline to Jake. Outline-wise you may want to look into the techniques of anti-aliasing and general curve techniques. This is a matter of pracise, and if you spend some time trying it, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it.

In your sprite, you've already applied basic shading, this is good. To shade even better, you should look into the technique of a lightsource. A lightsource is basically a source of light (yeah) that falls onto the sprite, so to say. The position of the light affects each part of your sprite differently, but as a whole it affects the sprite consistantly. Right now you've mainly applied your shading to each outline, which leads to inconsistant lightning, so you could improve on this.

Anatomy-wise, all I want to advise to you is to make sure the legs are both the same size, it'll make your character a lot more tricky. Hands can also be tricky to sprite, but the only piece of advice I can give you in this departement is to just practise and look for good reference. Sometimes you can even use your own hands as reference.

You seem to know about cloth-folding techniques as well. This is good because it can really make the difference between a sprite having depth or not. I highly recommand using more reference (you could google 'cloth folds' or 'how to draw clothes folding for example) to perfect your technique as a next step. Also remember that most folds originate there where the clothing is the most tight. I think in this case that could be the gold button next to Jake's right shoulder. So the folds should come from there as well.

Also, as a general rule, make sure you save your files as either PNG or BMP, never as a JPG/JPEG. The latter ruin the quality of the image. PNG and BMP have much sharper colours when uploaded.

I know that this is quite a bit, and I apologize if it comes across as demotivatin, but I hope you keep at it. Spriting is a lot of fun and I hope you can have a lot of fun with it as well! It's just that spriting (and all forms of art, really) are a matter of falling 7 times and getting up 8 times, always remember that. Practise makes perfect.

If, in any case, I used a term or word in this post that you're not familair with, you can try checking out the spriters dictionairy, maybe it's explained in there (the dictionairy in general will be good to read to get a basic understanding of the core techniques of spriting;
http://www.vg-resource.com/thread-25474.html

you can find more tutorials/tips/techniques for spriting on our McLeodgaming Tutorial Platform-
http://forums.mcleodgaming.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=39454

Lastly, congrats on your first sprite Kidicarus29!, and welcome to the Spriter's Corner!

(you can now tweet mean things at me on Twitter @StevenEggplant)

Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:42 pm

kidicarus29 wrote:
do you have any advice on my OC or meta man? Can I still edit Meta Man?

Yese, Of course, as long as you ASK permission first.

Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:26 pm

Ok guys I took Stevens tips and made a textbox for Jake!!

Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:35 pm

MGN Username: TheRealHeroOfWinds
Woah, good job!

Looking forward to your future work.

Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:39 pm

kidicarus29 wrote:

Mmm...

Why it has so much Space?

Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:16 pm

Lisnovski wrote:
kidicarus29 wrote:

Mmm...

Why it has so much Space?

What? You mean on the right? Im going to add some text and an animation later
if you mean on the top and bottom it's because I made it in a big box but i forgot to make it smaller

I fixed it! Can you give me tips please?

Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:21 pm
 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next