The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 9:06 pm

[ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 23  Next
so what's your album of the year so far 
Site Moderator

Whimzer wrote:
No way Agalloch is black metal, they're like "dark metal" or whatever that weird undefinable subgenre is

Drudkh, Winterfylleth, Falls of Rauros, Bathory (who started it all with viking metal, which, by the way, also should be a power metal subgenre), Falkenbach, Windir and these billions of bands

yeah agalloch as a whole hardly counts but marrow of the spirit was undoubtedly black metal (and I'm pretty sure their last EP was if I'm not mistaken)

falls of rauros is good? I've seen them mentioned occasionally and I assumed they were another generic hipster weakling clone band. will have to give them a fair chance.

Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:58 am

Currently Playing: Mandolin
Well personally I don't care about them or most USBM, but I'm just basing it off aesthetic.

Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:42 pm

Waifu: I'm married
viking metal isn't necessarily power metal
amon amarth isn't power metal

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:43 am
YIM WWW

I just feel like Folk metal and some viking metal is becoming a bit cheesy.

Amon Amarth is great, and on the folk metal side I always like Arkona, but there are still tons of bands that are eh when it comes to them being actually viking metal in the vein of bathory.

Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:51 am

Waifu: I'm married
oh yeah i can't find any folk metal that isn't a bit silly or cheesy

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:49 am
YIM WWW
Site Moderator

MGN Username: Arel
Currently Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Waifu: Jesus of Nazareth
Kittenpuncher wrote:
oh yeah i can't find any folk metal that isn't a bit silly or cheesy

Grai is pretty cool.

Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:02 am

You know, I'm not that much of a Black metal purist with the exception of USBM because half of it is literal s*** made by the hipster machines (Krallice, Wolves in the Throne Room, Liturgy, etc.), but I really gotta ask this.

Why is Deafheaven's new album so f*** hyped? I remember when The Road to Judah came out and literally no one gave two s*** because it was hipster trash, but oh boy Sunbather comes out and the mainstream music critics come out and say it's beautiful art. Gee, that's cool and all, but it literally does nothing to reinvent what Alcest and Lantlos have already perfected. It's not nearly close to the level of either group. Hell, even Old Silver Key and Drudkh's weak post-black experiments are objectively much more interesting than the stuff in Sunbather. It's literally hipster faux-black metal in the vein of Liturgy, because there's more to Black Metal than tremolo picking for 20 minutes.

And if we were going to consider it avant-garde/progressive black then it's not even close to the quality of SIGH, A Forest of Stars, Arcturus or Ulver. I don't get it's popularity outside of it being trendy and mainstream thanks to Rolling Stone and Pitchfork.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:15 pm
Site Moderator

Basically, for a lot of people it seems to boil down to "black metal I can listen to without appearing creepy or nerdy". They don't offend, they never disgust, it's completely safe and unprovoking music in a genre known for its extremities. You have to consider the Pitchfork/Vice/Spin audience cares more about image and looking cultured/eclectic without having to put actual effort into familiarizing themselves with things. It's like all the people who claim to "love" coffee while drinking a Starbucks piss latte filled with so much cream/sugar/milk it barely even counts.

They've got a marketable aesthetic and that's all. The band Envy made the exact same music sans "black metal" tag 10 years ago but nobody hyped them outside post-hardcore circles because they look and behave like a regular old school screamo band. Deafheaven consists of a bunch of clean-cut, well-dressed guys in their early 20s who tweet ironic hip hop references and worship the Smiths. That alone wins them the Tumblr core audience.

Personally, I liked Sunbather. Sure it's a completely average album, but it combines a lot of styles I enjoy and wasn't offensively bad. Been following Deafheaven on and off since Roads to Judah dropped and it's nice to see them get mainstream attention, the members themselves seem like decent hard-working guys.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:07 pm

Well, that makes sense to me. I'm judging it from the inside looking out as someone who starting listening to black metal through an encounter with Impaled Nazarene as a kid, so I don't get the appeal of the watered down elements of it.
Then again I actually hate most shoegaze and post-rock/metal with the exception of Lush and Isis, so Sunbather really does nothing for me.

What bothers me the most is that even though Deafheaven don't market themselves specifically as black metal (more like a weird amalgamation that I don't care for), the fact is that all the people who hyped it up specifically mentioned things that basically come down to "the first good black metal I've ever listened to." It's the complete denial of an entire genre because they listen to it once and deem it unlistenable until something mainstream and relevant to them comes out, and even then it will never change their opinion of black metal.
It will always be "that one black metal album that I can stand" to them.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:55 pm
Site Moderator

I'm not gonna lie, this is the album that turned me on to metal.

So it holds a special place in my heart.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:29 am

I have nothing against that as long as it allows you to find more things you like in the genre as long as you stay open minded.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:45 am
Site Moderator

Whimzer wrote:
Well, that makes sense to me. I'm judging it from the inside looking out as someone who starting listening to black metal through an encounter with Impaled Nazarene as a kid, so I don't get the appeal of the watered down elements of it.
Then again I actually hate most shoegaze and post-rock/metal with the exception of Lush and Isis, so Sunbather really does nothing for me.

Off topic anecdote: my first experience with black metal was from a friend of mine in early junior high who'd send me links to bands like Emperor, Xasthur and Satanic Warmaster. I'd basically call him a pleb and go back to claiming bands like Mastodon and Tool were the pinnacle of music. Ironically enough, years later he loves Deafheaven and Alcest while I'm more into Gorguts and Blasphemy. Funny how things work out, huh?

On topic: Yeah, I pretty much agree with what you're saying. Dismissing an entire genre until something trendy and "credible" comes along is nothing new, nor is it exclusive to metal either. It's a miracle how techno and house have survived this long after being bastardized so hard by s*** club scenes populated by kandi kids and dudebros. Not even Berghain is safe anymore.

Also, have you actually read the Pitchfork review for Sunbather? Hilarious.
Quote:
People cite the short-lived San Francisco band Weakling's seminal 2000 album Dead as Dreams as the pinnacle of American black metal; Sunbather is another. Like Weakling, Deafheaven have changed things with this record-- black metal won't be the same now that it's been released. Of course, folks will argue over just how black metal-- or even metal-- Sunbather is, and will discuss the "un-metal" pink cover art and the fact that Clarke could probably be a J. Crew model. These kinds of arguments are irrelevant. Instead, try focusing on how much better Sunbather is than any other black metal album released this year, and how it's, by far, one of the best in any genre. Or, maybe, just talk to your friends about what it feels like to listen to a modern classic.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:46 am

The funny thing is that the whole "black metal won't be the same now that it's been released" was mentioned when Liturgy released their album in 2011 and it almost universally was considered below average. Pitchforks reviews end up usually being 95% anecdotes and 5% review anyway (the opposite of a review site my brother used to read to me which was 95% describing the music in terms of colors or atoms or air or water and 5% "it sounds like this band"), and I'm not surprised they made those over exaggerated claims.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:59 am
Site Moderator

This is my fav of 2014 so far.

http://usaoutofvietnam.bandcamp.com/

Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:12 pm
Site Moderator

1 month in to 2014, woo!

Here's a list of releases I've been listening to this year, and some quick notes about what I thought of them.

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/KingSwag/2014__listened/

:^)

Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:30 pm
 [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 23  Next