The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 5:32 pm

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
could use some halp to get better 

Currently Playing: Pokemon X and Y
As you all know im a huge blue the hedgehog fan so here's where i am so far, an improvement on my first attempt

SSF2 mains:
Chibi Robo
Bomberman
Tails

Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:10 am

Looks like a stretched/edited version of Sonic.

I assume Blue was an edit or a sprite influenced by the Sonic battle sprite so you'll probably see more comments regarding that it's sonic battle based style.

One thing that definitely does needs criticism on though is the palette. The different in Luminescence (Lum) of your colors is Wonky. The shading is barely noticeable and that's a bad thing.

First off, i would start off with 2-3 shades per color. 4 or 5 shades would make the shading of the sprite feel complex at times and really wouldn't feel like it needs to be there. Try to cut off shades of each color till you can get 2 or 3 shades.

If you're choosing 2 shades of color: have one be the main color to your sprite and have another be a darker shade to that color: one that you can spot out. This is the type of shading that's very basic and will help you understand shading a lot better

If you're choosing 3 shades of color: have one be the main color to your sprite, have the second one be a darker shade to that color, and have the third one be a lighter shade to that color. Adding a second darker shade isn't necessary.

The only other thing i spot that wasn't right is that the purple part of the eye is also barely noticeable since you stuck it to the right side of the eye. Try to space it out in between so that it can be spotted out.

I'm not going to critique on the anatomy/structure (though i can see a few problems with it) because it seems as you're sort of on the right track but try to start out with a basic feel on colors rather than slapping on more shades. Try creating a new sprite on the side but this time: Try to use just 2 shades of each color with one being a basic color that has a high-med saturation (SAT) and a balanced Luminescence (Lum) and the second shade just having a low Luminescence (Lum).

Hope this helps
-Michael M

Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:47 pm

ok i understand the 2 and 3 shades per color but everything else is too complex for a beginner such as myself and thats a bit much stuff to take in, i was basically going off the old blue sprites mcleodgaming had and redoing it a bit but different

SSF2 mains:
Chibi Robo
Bomberman
Tails

Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:47 pm
Site Moderator

Waifu: ElvisDitto
The outlines are pretty decent for a starter; for a Sonic knockoff I'd suggest thicker hair-thing-spikes-spines-whatever they are and a thicker nose.

Right now, the biggest problem is the pallet though; it's really dull and it makes the sprite less interesting to look at. More contrast (differences between shades) can help solve that.

(you can now tweet mean things at me on Twitter @StevenEggplant)

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:53 am

see im no good, ive hd no training or nun, and i wish i was better at it

SSF2 mains:
Chibi Robo
Bomberman
Tails

Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:52 pm
Site Moderator

Milespower wrote:
see im no good, ive hd no training or nun, and i wish i was better at it

I think you are taking the feedback the wrong way.

If you have had no practise then of course you are not going to be able to sprite something like The Night Watch by Van Rijn.

If you take the feedback into consideration and incorporate it in your work, you will get better. We're just trying to help you.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:55 pm

not taking it the wrong way, i wanna improve but, just to much time that i have to improve, im just guessing that spriting isnt for me is all, at least not right now

SSF2 mains:
Chibi Robo
Bomberman
Tails

Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:11 pm

Ok can someone tell me how im doing now?

SSF2 mains:
Chibi Robo
Bomberman
Tails

Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:36 pm

Though you did use Steven's critique and implement into it, the new version looks more of a direct knockoff to the Sonic battle sprite than the old one.

You got the structure of a sonic character right but the similarities in comparison to the original Sonic battle sprite are way too similar.

Also, you didn't listen regarding color choices/contrast are practically the same as the old version. I matched them up to one another and they're basically the same color palletes. It's still barely noticeable and the shading (When zoomed in) is more like pillow shading/banding which is a No-no especially in a Sonic battle sprite.

The reason i told you to use 2-3 colors is because it's hard to work with more colors and as a beginner, you should be starting off basic. Trust me... When you use 2-3 colors: its very simple and helps you understand both shading and the use of colors.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:50 am

i didnt uses 2-3 colors because the picture is small from far back and im spriting the pic up close because its easier and better for me personally, cause i can see the shading in it up close, and as you can see, its not finished so of course it would look like a sonic knockoff, im posting my work incomplete so i get knowledge on what to do, so i know where to go next and fix what i have now instead of doing a whole sprite, having to throw the old away, and yes im using the same colors, because im pleased with the colors i picked out, and really dont feel the need to have to come up with these colors, when up close it looks like crap and far back im not pleased with it, the only thing im happy about right now with it, is the way it looks magnified at 800-1200 inches/pixels and the angle of the head, which the head still isnt done cause im trying to figure out how im going to sprite his bang(s) cause i fear it wont come out right

SSF2 mains:
Chibi Robo
Bomberman
Tails

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:31 am

Currently Playing: Ball Breaker with your sister. it's a real game...
Do as you please that still doesn't mean we won't give you the advice you seek. The colors aren't being used correctly, and it does look like a sonic knock off. IMO I think it looks not so good up close or far away. Why don't you stop fear of failure and copy and paste your work.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:41 am
Site Moderator

Yo um, buddy

Regardless of what you do Blue will look like a Sonic knockoff. This isn't your fault and I don't mean to offend you since you like the character but Blade and Blue are probably the pinnacle of bad character design. It's not something you can fix.

Although truth to be told there are worse hedgehogs out there.

Also, I'll let you in on a little secret: everybody zooms in ('up close') when they sprite in paint, for more accurate pixel placement. As a matter of fact as far as I'm concerned this is how you're supposed to do it.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:32 pm

thnk yu steven and im not taking the criticism the wrong way, im just a bit frustrated over it, thats all lots of people get frustrated over their own work if it doesnt go the way they want it too, n i just want to do it, to practice and get better at spriting, at least to a point where someone can look at it and at least say "not bad" i chose to do blue cause i see him as a challenge if people like steven and Dr. Geno could most likely make him look good of a character, I at least want to try, but can i get a list of things other than long passages cause so far the only problem im getting is color aqnd i still dont know how to go about his bangs

SSF2 mains:
Chibi Robo
Bomberman
Tails

Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:11 pm
Site Moderator

MGN Username: Arel
Currently Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Waifu: Jesus of Nazareth
World's longest run-on sentence.

But really, there's nothing wrong with criticism.

That's how you get better, yo.

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:56 am
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Undertale
Milespower wrote:
i chose to do blue cause i see him as a challenge if people like steven and Dr. Geno could most likely make him look good of a character

While I really do appreciate the kind words, I don't even think Zeus could make Blue look like a good character.

I would try another character, Miles. Even if you sprite Blue flawlessly, he'll still be seen in a negative light.

Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:52 am
 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next