The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 4:39 am

Forum rules

DO NOT POST YOUR OWN UNFINISHED GAMES YOU'VE CREATED HERE!

To post about your own projects go here: viewforum.php?f=41

[ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 23  Next
[MP] Fire Emblem 

MGN Username: Tid
Currently Playing: Deep™ The™ Game™
Because Gilliam is a f*** badass.

Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:45 pm

Currently Playing: Project M, made by likable human beings, unlike another project...!
So is... almost everyone else?

FE8 is easy enough you can use almost anyone, with or without the tower. But Gilliam has doubling problems, forever. That alone puts him far behind all other units.

(not like it matters, you can practically solo with Seth)

Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:29 pm

MGN Username: Equinox
Currently Playing: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.
@talesoffan 17, huh? Thanks for telling me that.

I personally use Gilliam because every enemy so far that has faced him does no damage to him (I haven't used the Tower of Valni, and I promoted him at level 10). Also, as a General, I like the choices that he has available to him.

Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:43 pm

Currently Playing: Project M, made by likable human beings, unlike another project...!
Equinox wrote:

I personally use Gilliam because every enemy so far that has faced him does no damage to him (I haven't used the Tower of Valni, and I promoted him at level 10). Also, as a General, I like the choices that he has available to him.

Level 10?

Actually, that's pretty effective. He'll be useful for quite some time, not all the way through, but that does change his contributions.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:30 am

Currently Playing: SFV-FI: Shenanigans
talesoffan wrote:
The third one comes rather late. Chapter 17 if I recall.

Chances are your tower abusing, so it's not like it matters.
Also, why use Gilliam. I used him on a draft once and he's rather useless. The cavaliers offer sustainable defense and better offense. I won't argue, but in comparison to OsWIN, Gilliam doesn't have that earlygame utility to make up for his movement (and I love foot units)

Dude, unless you have Amelia and knight her, he's the ONLY knight. And knights are a key class for most strategies, not to mention giving him speedwings is not important, but pretty damn useful. Hell, I find him more useful than Seth sometimes because he can get pretty godly if used right. Wyverns are about the only thing that can f*** him up, but that's why archers, snipers and Rangers were born right?

Also Equinox, use Neimi, level her to be a ranger, she, Gerik and Gilliam can be very effective in a team, have Gilliam block a passage, Neimi behind him pot-shotting everything, and Gerik protecting her from Flying Units that can get too close if she doesn't have a sword equipped.

(This is the only recorded instance of this happening)

Term wrote:
i am a huge advocate of your right to whine like a b****

Kuro Kagami wrote:
i have problems with colors

i mean i have problems in general but colors tend to be a recurring issue

Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:43 am

talesoffan wrote:
Equinox wrote:

Level 10?

Actually, that's pretty effective. He'll be useful for quite some time, not all the way through, but that does change his contributions.

Yeah, I know that part wasn't too smart, but at the time I only had access to the first level of the Tower of Valni, so I just used it while I could.
Cactus wrote:
talesoffan wrote:

Also, why use Gilliam. I used him on a draft once and he's rather useless. The cavaliers offer sustainable defense and better offense. I won't argue, but in comparison to OsWIN, Gilliam doesn't have that earlygame utility to make up for his movement (and I love foot units)

Dude, unless you have Amelia and knight her, he's the ONLY knight. And knights are a key class for most strategies, not to mention giving him speedwings is not important, but pretty damn useful. Hell, I find him more useful than Seth sometimes because he can get pretty godly if used right. Wyverns are about the only thing that can f*** him up, but that's why archers, snipers and Rangers were born right?

Also Equinox, use Neimi, level her to be a ranger, she, Gerik and Gilliam can be very effective in a team, have Gilliam block a passage, Neimi behind him pot-shotting everything, and Gerik protecting her from Flying Units that can get too close if she doesn't have a sword equipped.

Hmm, Neimi? I currently have an Orion's Bolt, so okay, I'll use her. I'll have to do some extensive training in the Tower, but I can deal with it.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:08 am

MGN Username: Tid
Currently Playing: Deep™ The™ Game™
Neimi's really cool as a Ranger.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:15 am

Cactus wrote:
talesoffan wrote:

Dude, unless you have Amelia and knight her, he's the ONLY knight. And knights are a key class for most strategies, not to mention giving him speedwings is not important, but pretty damn useful. Hell, I find him more useful than Seth sometimes because he can get pretty godly if used right. Wyverns are about the only thing that can f#%$& him up, but that's why archers, snipers and Rangers were born right?

Why are Knights vital? I Garcia tanks just as well early game and has a better late game due to better movement and promotion options, less babying, etc.

Also LOLAmelia.
While I could give Gilliam a speedwing so that he doubles for a few chapters against a few enemies, I could play it better by giving it to Seth, so that he never stops doubling, or Cormag due to some earlygame issues. Or heck, essentially any combat unit with minor doubling issues uses that wing far better.

But, I don't don't believe I should argue, because I have been in the competitve FE community and my opinion is a bit more... edged then others.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:11 pm

talesoffan wrote:
Cactus wrote:
talesoffan wrote:

Dude, unless you have Amelia and knight her, he's the ONLY knight. And knights are a key class for most strategies, not to mention giving him speedwings is not important, but pretty damn useful. Hell, I find him more useful than Seth sometimes because he can get pretty godly if used right. Wyverns are about the only thing that can f#%$& him up, but that's why archers, snipers and Rangers were born right?

Why are Knights vital? I Garcia tanks just as well early game and has a better late game due to better movement and promotion options, less babying, etc.

Also LOLAmelia.
While I could give Gilliam a speedwing so that he doubles for a few chapters against a few enemies, I could play it better by giving it to Seth, so that he never stops doubling, or Cormag due to some earlygame issues. Or heck, essentially any combat unit with minor doubling issues uses that wing far better.

But, I don't don't believe I should argue, because I have been in the competitve FE community and my opinion is a bit more... edged then others.

Hey, I always say, if a tactic works, use it.

Also, Equinox, she's fragile in defence, so Protect her well. When She promotes, she'll have enough speed to fend for her own, except for Wyvern lords if they manage to pierce her.

Term wrote:

Kuro Kagami wrote:

Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:37 pm

Cactus wrote:
talesoffan wrote:
Cactus wrote:
talesoffan wrote:

Also LOLAmelia.

Hey, I always say, if a tactic works, use it.

Also, Equinox, she's fragile in defence, so Protect her well. When She promotes, she'll have enough speed to fend for her own, except for Wyvern lords if they manage to pierce her.

Yeah, I believe I got that part covered. I already have her at level 8, so I'll continue with her, all while aiming to get her to, at the least, level 15 before promoting.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:48 pm

Well many tactics work.
So you have to evaluate it by other means.

Like turn counts. Using Seth cuts far more turn counts then Amelia for example.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:43 pm

talesoffan wrote:
Well many tactics work.
So you have to evaluate it by other means.

Like turn counts. Using Seth cuts far more turn counts then Amelia for example.

Amelia's a bad example of a unit, out of the Ross, Ewan and Amelia, Amelia is the worst, mainly for her low speed, defense and Con, Ross can get past his Con problem, Ewan has one like all mages, unless you do something about it. But Amelia's will always be a problem, she can be fast, but she has little defence unless either given Dragonshields or used as a knight. But Seth is a good unit, not someone I'd rely on for tactics because of Archetype, but good for taking out far away enemies when needed.

Term wrote:

Kuro Kagami wrote:

Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:58 pm

While all the subs are extremely poor, I'd argue you have little idea what you're talking about

http://serenesforest.net/fe8/average/amelia3.html

30% defense is actually very high in the GBA FEs. The starting Armor knight in FE6 had 35% def.

Also, what does Seth being a Jeigen have to do with it? He literally has the best growth spread in the entire game and you can easily solo with him due to his amazing bases, that aren't far off from 20/1 Franz outside of speed, but by then Seth will likely be -/7 or higher. If quote of a man far greater at these games then I am:

"How do you describe Seth without repeating yourself? I don't know. Seth has every good quality from the below units, except perhaps the flying part, and then some more.

For one last time, we have a GBA Paladin, which means 8 movement, more WTC than most units (though he lacks axes), and the ability to ferry units around. This is backed up by the best availability in the game, beating even Eirika since she's not on Ephraim route, and then also the best combat in the game. With "pretty good" bases (ridiculous for his join time, of course) and an A in both lances and swords, Seth can take down the most cheesy mooks with just Javelins, and the strongest bosses with a wide arsenal of more valuable weapons, most notably that Silver Lance he joins with.

For the most part, FE7 Marcus had this in the bag too. What makes Seth so ridiculous is that he has some of the best growths in the game on top of it all. 90% HP, 50% Str, 45% Skl, 45% Spd, 40% Def, 30% Res and 25% Luk keeps him going all game long as long as he gets enough bosskills, and in an efficient playthrough it's pretty much impossible not to give him bosskills. Early on he's a tank and ORKO (often OHKO) machine because of his good bases, but he doesn't actually slow down one bit in any way. Wherever you move Seth, he leaves a path of destruction, which makes him the best unit for clearing the way to the boss (and the boss himself), or just taking out a portion of a rout map by himself.

Seth is so strong that if you use him to his full potential, you pretty much have no room to train anything else whatsoever. And this is fine for most maps, because there are plenty of units in this game that can function just fine at base level, or little EXP. Duessel, Cormag, Gerik, Saleh, etc. This style of play generally makes it desirable to make Seth even more broken by loading stat boosters on him, since he will doing almost all the fighting. Luckily, FE8 gives you an Angelic Robe AND a Dracoshield pretty early, minimizing Seth's *gasp* death chances.

One more thing I want to mention about Seth is that he gets to abuse 3x Mt slayer weapons, unlike for example FE7 Marcus or FE9 Titania. And unlike FE6 Marcus, he gets to have good accuracy with them. So whenever not even Silver or Killer weapons do the trick, Seth has access to an extra trick up his sleeve.

Why is he not #1, then? He dominates the whole game, right? Well, he definitely does that, but he has some very very tiny flaws. For one, there are chapters where he is not the most important unit, or not by far. Ch7 comes to mind, where it's Vanessa who transports him and Eirika over the river. Or just Eirika if she's strong enough, or any combat unit that can handle that place. Then there's the desert chapter where he is limited on where to go, and Ch20 which is like 70% forest, so he'll likely take a backseat to either fliers or Warpers. It seem almost unfair to "penalize" a unit for extremely minor things like this, but that's what it comes down to when you are this close to the top!"

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:47 am

You have just said everything I already know, And for one thing, Seth isn't a jeigen. Technically his archetype is an Oifey, which have the Stat growths Seth does, Fe7 Marcus is of the same archetype. But regardless, as with almost all Paladin archetypes, they are there for protection of weaker units, particularly the lords, until they can stand on their own 2 feet. The rescue feature point is invalid, since you have god knows how many cavaliers, Paladins and Great knights in the game, but I do agree, is is a very good unit to have. The only thing about him is how much his weapons will start costing you if you want effectiveness, A slim sword and Steel lance is $980, and you need those and the upraged weapons quite a lot. It costs a f*** load in the long run, since at the start your given 10000g or something (can't remember) at the start, that's nearly 1000 off the bat. plus an iron/slim sword for Erika, extra lances and swords for everyone, vulneraries, and god knows what else. That Silver lance isn't gonna run far if you abuse it, and you don't get another for a while. But don't forget Joshua AND Marisa have higher Skill and Speed that Seth, therefore much more critical hittage, and with an angelic robe and a dracoshield, they are indestructible. And with a few supports, get's upgraded to 75? Crit Chance. Gilliam also has a much better Luck percentage. Seth only really Shines with that extra 10% RES, helps a little, but not much considering his starting res stat is 8, still low for a promoted unit of any class. Amelia as a knight doubles anyway straight from lvl 1, speedwing or no. So she can shine just as much as Seth, but being a somewhat faster general with actual chances of crits and doubling.
Don't you dare tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.

Term wrote:

Kuro Kagami wrote:

Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:01 pm

Cactus wrote:
You have just said everything I already know,
Didn't show it, still don't

And for one thing, Seth isn't a jeigen. Technically his archetype is an Oifey, which have the Stat growths Seth does, Fe7 Marcus is of the same archetype.
Thank you captain obvious. But Oifey is a sub-archetype of Jeigan, plenty of people had the discussion, as well. A Jeigen is someone who comes promoted and has connections with the lord in some way or form, often a loyal knight. Oifey is just a Jeigen who can contribute all game long. Also, thanks for the pointless Marcus info, if you are going to argue, keep it on track of the discussion, I don't need you to tell me Marcus has late game use, if I played FE7, I know Marcus has late game use.
But regardless, as with almost all Paladin archetypes, they are there for protection of weaker units,
Or you know, kill everything himself. It's very easy to just use Seth in FE8 since many characters can do just fine with their bases, Cormag, Gerik, etc. While they do like the EXP Seth is more then capable of getting the job done completely by himself, to the point using other units actually hurts you.

particularly the lords, until they can stand on their own 2 feet.
Or you could just have Franz rescuebot her the whole way through, (In Ephraims case, his bases are good enough for quite some time, so he doesn't need to baby him.
The rescue feature point is invalid since you have god knows how many cavaliers,
All you need is Seth to solo, Vanessa to rescuebot, and Franz to see if he can do something useful. Past earlygame, many characters have bases that last for a long time, like Cormag
Paladins and Great knights in the game, but I do agree, is is a very good unit to have. The only thing about him is how much his weapons will start costing you if you want effectiveness, A slim sword and Steel lance is $980, and you need those and the upraged weapons quite a lot.
Or, I could just give Seth +2 str and a couple javelins and watch him 1RKO all enemies on the whole map, for almost the whole game, outside of the few times fliers are more valuable

It costs a f#%$& load in the long run,
Yeah, shame FE8 isn't FE5, or money might be scarce! Seriously, if you had cash issues in FE8, stop wasting weapons on the tower

since at the start your given 10000g or something (can't remember) at the start, that's nearly 1000 off the bat.
Seth could just take Gilliam's iron lance and he'll do fine with it. This isn't FE4, weapons aren't character exclusive, if a unit is useless can can't use his weapon, why not let other units use it? Also, lolmoney in FE, if you have money problems, hah.
plus an iron/slim sword for Erika,
Why must you raise the lord, have you ever just had Vanessa go rescue her and avoid enemies? Far more practical in many chapters
extra lances and swords for everyone,
You should only raise like 7 units, all of which come with their own weapons and such, you're acting like we can't supply for any of them, especially when we can take weapons off units we won't use. (I always give Garcia Ross' hatchet for example)
vulneraries, and god knows what else.
By the time you run out of vulenaries, you have plenty of healers, in only a few emergencies have I found myself in a situation needing healing in FE8, by then I had plenty of spare elixirs, all of which went to my healer so she wouldn't get purge bombed, the end. If this were FE6, yeah, I'd argue a couple of vulenaries are of use earlygame, but healers come and it's far more efficient to attack then to waste a vullenary, most of the time anyways.

That Silver lance isn't gonna run far if you abuse it,
Seth kills everything without the silver lance for a long time, so I won't be abusing it. By the time it's gone, I get Orson's silver sword, but even then, I can kill all non bosses with Javelins. Unless I get RNG screwed.
and you don't get another for a while.
Silver sword Orson, chapter 8. Next boss killer weapon. By then you silver lance still has about ten uses, give or take

But don't forget Joshua AND Marisa have higher Skill and Speed that Seth,
Unit A doubles unit by three AS, Unit continues to have that advantage for the whole game, but has poor durability
Unit B doubles by just one AS, but he keeps it up all game. He also has more HP and more movement. Also better offense.
This is like Ira vs Sigurd, it's freaking hilarious.

therefore much more critical hittage, and with an angelic robe and a dracoshield, they are indestructible.
:facepalm:

Or we could just use a unit who is far more unstoppable without those resources, give it to him, so he'll become even more capable!

And with a few supports, get's upgraded to 75? Crit Chance.
Seth has way more viable supports.Franz and Cormag both are excellent units, and while chances are they'll be 13/5 or something by the end, they are very capable of having supports. Also again, if they both kill, why does it matter by how must? Seth gets durability from his supports and still kills, and doubles. Plus Seth's supports are far faster.

Gilliam also has a much better Luck percentage.
LOL LUCK
I'll humor you
http://serenesforest.net/fe8/average/seth.html
http://serenesforest.net/fe8/average/gilliamgk.html

By 20/20 Gilliam has Seth's luck base. But he'll never get there, because his slow a** can't get to the fight, plus most early enemies are ax users. Plus,he's not Seth or Franz

Seth only really Shines with that extra 10% RES, helps a little,
The fudge you smokin?
His speed is far better then Gilliam's forever. It'll be 20/10 before he even reaches Seth's base speed, by Then Seth will be far higher leveled, or Gilliam will be dropped, one or the other. While Gilliam has better STR and DEF, it takes a long time for it to occur. But he still will have doubling troubles, which Seth just laughs at as he STILL does more attack for enemy phase while dodging because of his lol supports. Also, look at unit A vs Unit B, that sums up the STR lead

but not much considering his starting res stat is 8,
Which is super high for a physical unit? if you even tell me Seth's bases aren't just a little short of a 20/1 Forde, Kyle, or Franz, you're sorely mistaken. (Also by the time the unit premotes, Seth will be like -/11 or something)

still low for a promoted unit of any class.
LOLWUT
20/1 Forde: 6 Res
20/1 Franz: 5 Res
20/1 Josh: 6 Res
20/1 Marisa: 7 res
20/1 Gilliam: 7 res

The gap only gets bigger because Seth's Res growth is equal to most units Def growth

Amelia as a knight doubles anyway straight from lvl 1, speedwing or no.
Why use Amelia when both Franz and essentially every other unit is 20x better then she'll be? Many people agree then Amelia starts as the worst FE unit of all time and as she levels she turns out... sub par. Have fun getting her there

So she can shine just as much as Seth, but being a somewhat faster general with actual chances of crits and doubling.
Don't you dare tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.

HAH HAH HAH
Oh wait, you're serious.
Let me say it one more time
If unit A doubles and kills and Unit B doubles and kills, it doesn't matter if one does it slightly easier.
Especially when Seth does the job the whole game through, while Amelia is useless for a damn long time

TL;DR
Stop Arena abusing and using the god damn tower, play with limited EXP and resources while trying to get the lowest turn count, tell me how useful Gilliam and Amelia are.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:53 pm
 [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 23  Next