The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 8:06 pm

[ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Bandana Dee 
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Undertale
Discuss Bandana Dee specific game-play here.

Mon May 29, 2017 1:41 pm

MGN Username: ButterMosaic
There's something infectious about Bandana Dee's character as a whole.
At first, he's somewhat hard to use because his ground moveset isn't as familiar to other characters on the roster and his aerial combos are generally situational.
But as you keep on using him, you soon realize how god-like his back-aerial is and how well he can juggle in the air. His ground game may be fine, but it becomes obsolete the more you stay in the air. I guess his up-tilt and smash attacks are fine, if any of you people concur.

I'll even say myself that his aerial game is a slightly neutered version of Marth's, but lord knows if Bandana Dee's meta will evolve to be more monstrous than the latter's.

Tue May 30, 2017 1:02 pm

Waifu: zero suit wario
So, if anyone who knows me from last year will have noticed I didn't like the moveset choices this fella has. And I still don't.
But I'm not here to repeat myself.
So I finally got to play Beta and try him, with the mindset that he could be fun despite the mvoeset.
I was... disappointed. Back Air it's pretty satisfying to hit with but overall I don't like his playstyle too much. Specially since I have tried so many times to hit someone with Dash Attack that I'm starting to think it doesn't even have a hitbox. I get that it's meant to "help him get a jump from the ground and increase his mobility" but honestly there's a Jump button that does that just fine, and I personally don't like that they wasted a dash attack only for a glorified jump.
Spear as his Side B feels slow and sluggish, doesn't help the fact you can't charge it or aim it like other physical projectiles, honestly I find it to be such a bad and boring move.
D-Air just feels like a recycled version of Up B but inverted, and honestly I have never been too fond of multi-hit move.
I don't want to bore you too much but overall, I found him way worse than I expected to be.
Overall there are two important sins here: Not being faithful to the source material and not being fun.
But at the end I can always stand the first sin reluctantly since there are plenty of chars I main with moves not coming from the source material (DK, Yoshi, Falco, CPTN Falcon, etc) but at the very least they're fun.
This guy isn't. I get they wanted to make him unique and stuff, but honestly, I'd rather have an unfaithful but fun moveset than an unfaithful AND unfun moveset. Too bad this guy it's both.

Oh well, at least the devs did a fantastic job with the rest of the cast. Even Megaman and Wario, the two changed chars in Beta I was more reluctant about, ended up being both extremely. I really, really wish I could say the same for poor Dee but unfortunately that's not the case.
It doesn't seem like the devs have plans on changing him so I guess he's gonna be stuck like this for a while.
At least I'm glad this guy was the only thing that disappointed me in Beta. the rest it's so SO good I can at least just enjoy the rest of the game.
At least I'm glad this is the last time I'll ever speak of this guy again, I made my points before and I still stand to them.
I'm also takin this opportunity with all the people I have angered with all my rants about this character. Sorry if I made ye guys upset.

Tue May 30, 2017 9:20 pm

MGN Username: ;Danny;
Currently Playing: Poker
Waifu: Gwyndolin
He still doesn't have an infinite jab

Definitely the most difficult character to use in Beta, at least for me
That Dash Attack is really disorientating and Side-B is a little too slow imo, I also think having it angleable would make it more useful
Overall, not a fan tbh

Pochiman wrote:
Frank stretches his dick to the other side and asks his son to grab it. Then he ties his balls into a rock, and after that he cuts off his dick with his knife. Then he crosses by his dick.

Last edited by Danny on Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 31, 2017 2:11 am

Currently Playing: SSF2, Paladins, TF2, Skullgirls
Waifu: m'Lady Lyndis
inb4, top tier dee

no, but seriously. His moveset seems fine to me... except Side-B. I can't land it, I can't use it properly, and I can't do an optimal follow-up from it... making it semi-angleable would be good enough for me honestly

Secondaries:
:bomberman: ; :wario:

For Fun:
:chibirobo: ; :blackmage: ; :ichigo: ; Image ; :isaac: ; :jigglypuff:

Hopefuls:
Lyn(FE); Ike(FE); Zero(MM); Andy(AW); Gilgamesh(FF)

tmanex2013 made the wonderful lyn sprite I used for Image

Wed May 31, 2017 7:44 am

(Hi! First post. I'll make an introduction later.)

Bandana Dee is probably my favorite character in this update. I'm a casual, so I can't really speak to how viable he is in higher-level play or even against the tougher AIs, but I really like the way he controls.

...Except, I agree, for his side-B. Sticking opponents to the ground is fun when it happens, but in general the spear feels too unsatisfying and inconsistent because it's such a slow and inflexible move. Some ability to angle it would be top-notch, especially because charged neutral-B is already a decent horizontal projectile.

Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:25 pm

MGN Username: snidbert63
Currently Playing: in a sandbox
Waifu: Weird Al Yankovic
Might I just say, "Where's the smiley?"

Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:29 pm

Man, I'm having fun with Bandana Dee...but I have to say, he is taking time to get used to. Especially that D-Air. It's handy, but hard to Meteor Smash with.

Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:39 pm
BR Member

Side-B feels...unfinished??? Like, it feels like it's supposed to be charged, or aimed, or rebalanced, or otherwise made fancier somehow.

Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:02 pm

I'm lovin' it :3 Bandana life!

His down special is, in my opinion, the best thing about BDee. It kills 90 (light) - 130 (heavy) and revenge kills so well. The hitbox it gets is also great, but it really kinda doesn't work well on small platforms.

His neutral is fun to play around with. The fact that the charged and close range are equally good makes racking up damage and distancing easy.

His up special is decent recovery and decent damage.

His side special though... eh. Though I know when/how to use it now, it just feels so long, so inefficient, and not that good.

His aerial game isn't that good. When I'm up against Meta-Knight or Bowser or any character of the like, the only attack I can rely on is his neutral-aerial... his side obv doesn't work, his down takes way too long to start, and his up is only good if you're below (which also takes too long, though not as long as the down.) But his back aerial... that's just great, it kicks across the stage like no one's business. It also goes well with his dash attack and ends combos... if you time it right.

His smash attacks are fine.

Though, I've always had one main problem with BDee... he may be my main, but I just can't help but say his attacks are so... one dimensional if you will. Most of his attacks, except his up tilt and his aerial, are in only one direction and have meh hitboxes to make up for it. They leave him hilariously vunerable, and is why he does bad when ganged up on. It's honestly just plain annoying. But that doesn't change my opinion of it :3

All in all, it takes some getting used to, but it is very fun to use and very rewarding.

Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:27 pm

Marshoul wrote:
I'm lovin' it :3 Bandana life!

His down special is, in my opinion, the best thing about BDee. It kills 90 (light) - 130 (heavy) and revenge kills so well. The hitbox it gets is also great, but it really kinda doesn't work well on small platforms.

His neutral is fun to play around with. The fact that the charged and close range are equally good makes racking up damage and distancing easy.

His up special is decent recovery and decent damage.

His side special though... eh. Though I know when/how to use it now, it just feels so long, so inefficient, and not that good.

His aerial game isn't that good. When I'm up against Meta-Knight or Bowser or any character of the like, the only attack I can rely on is his neutral-aerial... his side obv doesn't work, his down takes way too long to start, and his up is only good if you're below (which also takes too long, though not as long as the down.) But his back aerial... that's just great, it kicks across the stage like no one's business. It also goes well with his dash attack and ends combos... if you time it right.

His smash attacks are fine.

Though, I've always had one main problem with BDee... he may be my main, but I just can't help but say his attacks are so... one dimensional if you will. Most of his attacks, except his up tilt and his aerial, are in only one direction and have meh hitboxes to make up for it. They leave him hilariously vulnerable, and is why he does bad when ganged up on. It's honestly just plain annoying. But that doesn't change my opinion of it :3

All in all, it takes some getting used to, but it is very fun to use and very rewarding.

That kinds of sums up how I feel bout B.D., though I'm actually getting used to his D-Air and U-Air could use a bit of a bigger hitbox, but otherwise, I can work with this.

Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:39 pm

MGN Username: scum
To be honest, bandana dee is kinda bad. For a character who's focused around their air game, his aerials just aren't that great. Fair and bair are good but the rest are very meh and lacking in damage and range. His neutral game is problematic as well because he lacks a good projectile. Side b has too much start up and is too slow while neutral b takes a while to charge if your depending on the projectile. He has to rely a lot on uncharged neutral b and fair which gives him problems with characters that can out range or zone him. Overall he's fun but definitely outclassed by other characters like pit.

Click to expand thumbnail

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:22 am

MGN Username: squirtkipfan0
Currently Playing: TF2, terraria, ssf2, fire emblem(various ones), other things
Waifu: jenny wakeman
Bandana dee instantly clicked with me, though I'm still better as :blackmage: . Dee has an amazing air gaming with his powerful back air, and his forward air which you can combo like nesses forward air. His down air is pretty good at stopping followups. Ground game is mediocre, despite having a spear, his attacks lack range. His down special grants distance(and insane KO ability) but his smashes are low ranged. Overall I liked bandana dee and personally don't see whats to hate
f*** his dash attack though
waddle dooters

reeeeaaaally hoping for: a PlayStation representative, shadow, lucas, a different fire emblem character(though id be lying if I said id be mad with ike), trevor Belmont(id think he would have a more reasonable moveset than simon)
Too spammable for my liking: Bomb Arrows

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:41 am

MGN Username: NASAPeepo
Currently Playing: It's my personal life.
After playing Bandana Dee for three weeks, I do have some suggestions for tweaking him up a bit:

- B-air should last longer. I mean, seriously, it has a fair amount of knockback but it is only about 2-3 frames, which makes it extremely hard to connect. Maybe the endlag frames can be turned into sourspot frames, like Fox.

- U-tilt's spear should come from the front of Bandana Dee, making a clockwise arc instead of anti-clocklise. That way, combos can be a lot easier to execute.

- Bandana Dee should cover a little bit more distance during D-tilt. Again, for easier combos.

- F-smash is fine, but maybe a little more knockback would be suitable. Same with U-smash.

- More vertical distance in Up-b.

That's all I could think of as of now. Of course, he is one of the most fun characters in BETA and I love doing combos with him online.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:52 am

MGN Username: MaskofTruth
Currently Playing: SSF2
similar to NASApeepo, I feel that BDD needs some changes to make him better.
-Bair KBG increased slightly
-Nair autocancel on the ground
-Dair hits connect better into the last hit
-Uair base KB decreased and hitstun increased to combo from sharking->ground combo

-Bthrow not rise so high before throwing so that it can actually be used to techchase

-SideB 'drag' people on initial hit for ~40 frames , OR stick people into the ground for a longer duration. Both would make it super useful for different things with the first suggestion make edgeguarding a cakewalk and the 2nd just being a better projectile
-UpB just for s*** and giggles but drag down armada peach style. lol

-Dtilt base KB increased as well as hitstun.

-Usmash destroyer of shields. 'Nuff said.
-Fsmash cause knockdown in the water effects.

-more adorable taunts. Especially one that makes him turn read and stomp his feet as he throws his spear onto the ground.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:47 pm
 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next