The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 5:46 pm

[ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Should Hate Speech Laws be removed(POLL) 

Should Hate Speech Laws be Removed
Yes 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
No 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 7

Should Hate Speech Laws be removed(POLL) 
Site Moderator

Waifu: ElvisDitto
Tsu wrote:
Uumm, no I don't have to cater to people's feelings. See how this works? It's not mandatory to care about people's feelings.

It's freedom of speech to ridicule people because you want to.

And you guys are free to call people who ridicule and offend , assholes because they are.

Tsu five minutes earlier wrote:
But slander is not free speech though, it's slander.

I was hoping the two of us could have a mature conversation about this subject and that I could perhaps persuade you into seeing things into a different light or if anything nuance your view, but alas.

Feel free to do as you please under the banner of 'freedom of speech' but do beware that your actions might have consequences. Good luck with the rest of your life.

(you can now tweet mean things at me on Twitter @StevenEggplant)

Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:10 pm

Waifu: Yume
I've only read part of the OP so this might be already covered, but I think that while freedom of speech is a good thing, I also think it falls in the boundaries of having a filter. "Yeah I could say this, but that would be rude/racist/sexist/ whatever." Point is, it's YOUR right and you can use it as you please, but this also means maintaining common sense.

The ongoing joke is that oh its 2015, everybody has a problem with everything and anything. Yet Donald Trump has a fair chance of becoming president of the united states, take that into perspective.

Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:11 pm
Site Moderator

Currently Playing: umib and unib
Waifu: SNAIL
Tsu wrote:
aidoru claus wrote:
i see where you're coming from but if you seriously dont watch what you say because "hurr durr freedom of speech" then you dont deserve to have freedom of speech

or, at least, everything you say should be taken less seriously because you cant be trusted to be mature about it

Please elaborate, are you for the authoritarian practice of punishing people because they said n***** are cave people instead of white people are cave people?

both are s*** things to say and there will never be a time where saying things like that is necessary

im not saying you should be punished otherwise i would have said exactly that

people not taking you seriously after saying something like that should happen more often though

people who say things like that are not worth listening to imo

Image Image Image

early 2k nostalgia mode

Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:13 pm

why do you hate black people so much, tsu?

did your mom leave your dad for a black guy or something
aidoru claus wrote:
both are s*** things to say and there will never be a time where saying things like that is necessary

people not taking you seriously after saying something like that should happen more often though

basically this

you can scream "I CAN SAY WHATEVER THE f*** I WANT BECAUSE I HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH" all you want

I have the freedom to tell you to shut the f*** up and get lost because what you're saying is disgusting

Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:15 pm

MGN Username: God-sama
Currently Playing: Minecraft, SMBX , Kirby Dreamland thingy.
Steven wrote:
Tsu wrote:
Uumm, no I don't have to cater to people's feelings. See how this works? It's not mandatory to care about people's feelings.

It's freedom of speech to ridicule people because you want to.

And you guys are free to call people who ridicule and offend , assholes because they are.

Tsu five minutes earlier wrote:
But slander is not free speech though, it's slander.

I was hoping the two of us could have a mature conversation about this subject and that I could perhaps persuade you into seeing things into a different light or if anything nuance your view, but alas.

Feel free to do as you please under the banner of 'freedom of speech' but do beware that your actions might have consequences. Good luck with the rest of your life.

Slander and Ridicule are two different things.
I know you tried to have a 'Gotcha!' moment but... no.

TS wrote:
I've only read part of the OP so this might be already covered, but I think that while freedom of speech is a good thing, I also think it falls in the boundaries of having a filter. "Yeah I could say this, but that would be rude/racist/sexist/ whatever." Point is, it's YOUR right and you can use it as you please, but this also means maintaining common sense.

The ongoing joke is that oh its 2015, everybody has a problem with everything and anything. Yet Donald Trump has a fair chance of becoming president of the united states, take that into perspective.

No it doesn't though? Freedom of speech is saying whatever want though as long as it's not slander or conspiring though?

Again all this subjectivity should not land you objectively in jail. See how no one gets hurt when you say a word, but guess who might get raped in prison for saying said '' word''.
aidoru claus wrote:
Tsu wrote:
aidoru claus wrote:
i see where you're coming from but if you seriously dont watch what you say because "hurr durr freedom of speech" then you dont deserve to have freedom of speech

or, at least, everything you say should be taken less seriously because you cant be trusted to be mature about it

Please elaborate, are you for the authoritarian practice of punishing people because they said n***** are cave people instead of white people are cave people?

Are you implying freedom of speech is freedom to say things that are necessary?
kb wrote:
why do you hate black people so much, tsu?

did your mom leave your dad for a black guy or something
aidoru claus wrote:

basically this

you can scream "I CAN SAY WHATEVER THE f*** I WANT BECAUSE I HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH" all you want

I have the freedom to tell you to shut the f*** up and get lost because what you're saying is disgusting

sure, but do you believe hate speech laws should be in place though that actively punishes people for saying said '' disgusting '' things.

Lukepi wrote:
read my post in your thread after i locked it.

i'm done. if you send me another PM with a sarcastic s#%$& attitude i'm banning you for 3 days.

go ahead and test me. see what happens.

;)

Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:17 pm
Site Moderator

Currently Playing: Ninja Gaiden Black, Battle Chasers: Nightwar, Titanfall 2 MP
Waifu: Makoto Nijima
Tsu wrote:
Fine, I'll even it out by saying Cracker now.

There, now can you post something actually worthwhile or no?

Also, anyone can psycho-analyze like you just did watch.

You must be replying to me because you want to express your undying gay love for me but you just don't know how.

see

I don't give a damn about "evening it out" or any s*** like that. You're posting these things without any obvious reason to other than getting banned/warned/whatever so you can just keep complaining about it and going in circles and overreacting to people. (See: your replies in this topic)

"You don't blindly agree with me as I constantly contradict myself, you must hate white people" isn't a reasonable reaction at all, dude

Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:18 pm

Andy wrote:
Tsu wrote:
Fine, I'll even it out by saying Cracker now.

There, now can you post something actually worthwhile or no?

Also, anyone can psycho-analyze like you just did watch.

You must be replying to me because you want to express your undying gay love for me but you just don't know how.

see

I don't give a damn about "evening it out" or any s*** like that. You're posting these things without any obvious reason to other than getting banned/warned/whatever so you can just keep complaining about it and going in circles and overreacting to people. (See: your replies in this topic)

"You don't blindly agree with me as I constantly contradict myself, you must hate white people" isn't a reasonable reaction at all, dude

Ok I understand your conspiracy and all but, please don't derail the thread please.

Lukepi wrote:

i'm done. if you send me another PM with a sarcastic s#%$& attitude i'm banning you for 3 days.

;)

Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:20 pm

Waifu: Yume
TS wrote:

Quote:
="Tsu"]No it doesn't though? Freedom of speech is saying whatever want though as long as it's not slander or conspiring though?

Again all this subjectivity should not land you objectively in jail. See how no one gets hurt when you say a word, but guess who might get raped in prison for saying said '' word''.

Yes but we're saying that just because you can doesnt mean you should.
It's not rocket science, if you say something offending to someone else it's their choice to put you in line. Which may or not include kicking your a**.

Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:21 pm
Site Moderator

Currently Playing: umib and unib
Waifu: SNAIL
Tsu wrote:
aidoru claus wrote:
Tsu wrote:
aidoru claus wrote:

tsu.......

i think you're an idiot

Image Image Image

early 2k nostalgia mode

Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:21 pm

TS wrote:
TS wrote:

Quote:
="Tsu"]No it doesn't though? Freedom of speech is saying whatever want though as long as it's not slander or conspiring though?

Yes but we're saying that just because you can doesnt mean you should.
It's not rocket science, if you say something offending to someone else it's their choice to put you in line. Which may or not include kicking your a**.

So you're ok with people assaulting someone because they said a word they didn't like?

Again, who's saying they ''should'' do this or whatever. They don't have to.

aidoru claus wrote:
Tsu wrote:
aidoru claus wrote:
Tsu wrote:
aidoru claus wrote:

tsu.......

i think you're an idiot

I think everyone has figured that out by now.

Lukepi wrote:

;)

Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:23 pm

MGN Username: gamingmage
Currently Playing: ao2
aidoru claus wrote:
Tsu wrote:
aidoru claus wrote:
Tsu wrote:
aidoru claus wrote:

tsu.......
i think you're an idiot

Tsu wrote:

Why are you making debate topics then?

Discord ID: #6110 (If you want to question something about me more quickly then on the forums, or if you have beef with me)
Mains: :blackmage: :ichigo:
Secondaries: :sora: :chibirobo:
Awesome Images in Sig and avatar made by Ssf2 Dev Steven :)

Click to expand thumbnail
kb wrote:
Seriously, stop &$^#ing harassing me. I'm not some Terrible Evil Overlord Of The Forums you have to vanquish or anything like that.

Last edited by Mage on Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:25 pm
Site Moderator

Waifu: ElvisDitto
@Term: Get in here, post of the year nomations galore.

Anyway, to actually go in depth about 'should there be laws': To be completely honest I'd prefer there not to be any, as I think this is one of those things that has to rely on common decency/common sense. Secondly, how words affect you or how words affect a group is extremely diversive and therefore it's difficut to judge and/or punish according to a standard. Furthermore like everyone in this topic says it's your choice if you want to be an a****** and likewise the recipient's choice to fire back, but it's not difficult to see how that could escalate to dangerous levels.

(you can now tweet mean things at me on Twitter @StevenEggplant)

Last edited by Steven on Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:26 pm

Tsu wrote:
sure, but do you believe hate speech laws should be in place though that actively punishes people for saying said '' disgusting '' things.

you do not understand what hate speech is, stop pretending you do

you can say whatever the f*** you want

but you can't say it wherever the f*** you want and however the f*** you want

funnily enough, yeah, i do think if say, you're out in the street screaming "f*** n*****" at black people or whatever you'd love to do if you actually had the balls, you should get arrested

hold whatever views you have. share them if you want. don't broadcast them publicly.

i don't know how this s*** works in the US, i don't really care. but here in the UK, people don't get prosecuted for saying "i don't like black people" to somebody like you'd love to imagine they do

they get prosecuted for racist chanting at football games. they get prosecuted for refusing services to people because of what they're wearing. they get prosecuted for carrying around giant signs saying how evil homosexuality is.

they're not getting punished for what they think. they're getting punished for the way they chose to display it. they get punished for inciting hatred.

actually f*** learn what it is you're talking about before you say it

Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:27 pm

Mage wrote:
Tsu wrote:

Why are you making debate topics then?

Are you implying that idiotic people are supposed to not make debate topics or whatever.

I've seen many stupid people who debate with others.

kb wrote:
Tsu wrote:

you do not understand what hate speech is, stop pretending you do

I think I do know quite well what hate speech is but go on and enlighten me.

kb wrote:
you can say whatever the f*** you want

but you can't say it wherever the f*** you want and however the f*** you want

Well, isn't that freedom of speech thought, being able to say whatever you want in the public and however you want? I though that was what freedom of speech was? But do go on.

kb wrote:
funnily enough, yeah, i do think if say, you're out in the street screaming "f*** n*****" at black people or whatever you'd love to do if you actually had the balls, you should get arrested

Really, congrats, you're an authoritarian.

You advocate for the arresting of people just because they said a word that was ''insulting'' or ''offensive'' to a group of people.

kb wrote:
hold whatever views you have. share them if you want. don't broadcast them publicly.

Well, what's the point of free speech then if you can't broadcast it publicly? what does that even mean lol.

kb wrote:
i don't know how this s*** works in the US, i don't really care. but here in the UK, people don't get prosecuted for saying "i don't like black people" to somebody like you'd love to imagine they do

Well, I honestly don't care really.

kb wrote:
they get prosecuted for racist chanting at football games. they get prosecuted for refusing services to people because of what they're wearing. they get prosecuted for carrying around giant signs saying how evil homosexuality is.

Wow really, that sucks, but I guess if a bunch of atheist's came talking about how stupid or retarded christians are they wouldn't get prosecuted. Just my guess.

kb wrote:
they're not getting punished for what they think. they're getting punished for the way they chose to display it. they get punished for inciting hatred.

You honestly think saying n***** are stupid or something is encouraging hatred. You maybe think it might be just someone saying a word and that's it?
You cannot prove that these people saying these words are actively encouraging people to hate other people, and even so why is hatred punishable? Hatred should not be punished unless it's acted upon in a violent or discriminatory way. This type of orwellian thought crime bs really grinds my gears.

kb wrote:
actually f*** learn what it is you're talking about before you say it

The irony is tangible.

Lukepi wrote:

;)

Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:40 pm

Tsu wrote:
Really, congrats, you're an authoritarian.

You advocate for the arresting of people just because they said a word that was ''insulting'' or ''offensive'' to a group of people.

i'm an "authoritarian" for thinking you shouldn't be allowed to run around screaming "n*****" at people

okay lmao i am done with you

i'd be happy to talk to you if you ever grow up

Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:44 pm
 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next