The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 12:01 am

[ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
SSF2 Strategies 

MGN Username: Zalozis Zemsis
Currently Playing: Gundam Wing: Endless Dual | Melty Blood: Actress Again Current Code | Super Smash Bros. Brawl
To add (old video):
YouTube Video:

I guess I should make a more in-depth video on advanced movement options. They're far more important than they seem and are largely neglected by many players.

Luigi Movement, Cancel, Tech, etc.
YouTube Video:
SSF2 Google Drive
". . . Emphasis . . . of players helping one-another"

Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:36 pm

MGN Username: Huey
Currently Playing: Smash 4. Waiting for Beta. They better code in Bidou...
Zalozis wrote:
To add (old video):
[ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IViGOLxBVIo ]

I guess I should make a more in-depth video on advanced movement options. They're far more important than they seem and are largely neglected by many players.

So cool to see someone else doing it with controller. I use Xbox personally, but what's your input for the PP? Mine is run one way then the other +crouch in a really quick succession and my right trigger is crouch for other reasons so it just happened to work in my favor. I don't know how I'd do it without right trigger being a crouch button though. Do you have one too or have you figured out another way?

Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:35 pm

Currently Playing: Gundam Wing: Endless Dual | Melty Blood: Actress Again Current Code | Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Look at my left-thumb; I'm just doing rapid shoryuken motions (Forward, Down, Forward). It's similar to the motion to WaveDashing in Tekken or Marvel vs. Capcom.

YouTube Video:
SSF2 Google Drive

Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:00 pm

Zalozis wrote:
Look at my left-thumb; I'm just doing rapid shoryuken motions (Forward, Down, Forward). It's similar to the motion to WaveDashing in Tekken or Marvel vs. Capcom.

You're more man than me lol Just tried doing that sh#t and could barely do one pivot. xD I need my crouch button

Speaking of only doing one pivot, in most cases that's not enough and you'll still get hit or grabbed or whatever. Maybe we should make it a perfect pivot standard to do at least 2 or maybe even 3 in a row to avoid getting stuffed

Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:16 pm

MGN Username: MGoku9
Currently Playing: SSF2, Crash Tag Team Racing, Dragon Ball Budokai 2
SoraReach wrote:
I want to discuss Marth's side special, something that isn't used for a while. I've done almost all combinations and it's been generally been underappreciated. I mean come on! Red-Blue-Blue/Green-/Red/Green/Blue/Downtilt is very good for pushing away and Red-Blue-Blue alone near an edge has a good meteor. Although the Red-Blue-Green combo is only good for another color finisher.

(Dash is next hit, Slash is alternate except Red-Blue-Green-Downtilt or Red-'Green'-etc.-etc)

I prefer Red+Red+Blue+Green (last hit is so hard!)

I am the base for Event #11: Laagggggg

== SSF2 ==
Flash Card #10

RIP Forums. Hope you're having a good day, though! Unless you main Marth /s.

Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:36 am

Hello. I haven't played online in a good while now so I'm curious about the current meta. As for me I can perfect pivot, tilt drop, and dash cancel nearly 100% of the time. I can do about 3-4 pivots in 1 second so I feel like I've evolved the perfect pivot from situational to a staple technique in my gameplay. I just wondered what the current standard is basically. Are people dash cancelling and perfect pivoting more regularly now or am I ahead of the AT game? Are there new ATs that I should learn and practice? Has the meta progressed much or does it feel stagnant to you guys? Also, who are the current top 5 players?

Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:39 am
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
Huey wrote:
Hello. I haven't played online in a good while now so I'm curious about the current meta. As for me I can perfect pivot, tilt drop, and dash cancel nearly 100% of the time. I can do about 3-4 pivots in 1 second so I feel like I've evolved the perfect pivot from situational to a staple technique in my gameplay. I just wondered what the current standard is basically. Are people dash cancelling and perfect pivoting more regularly now or am I ahead of the AT game? Are there new ATs that I should learn and practice? Has the meta progressed much or does it feel stagnant to you guys? Also, who are the current top 5 players?

If you are consistently performing perfect pivoting (correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe thats where you cancel the dash turnaround with a crouch to remain in place), then I believe you are ahead of the curve on that one. I think that the notable players have all implemented dash canceling into their game, or at least many of them have. So you would be on track regarding that, but probably ahead of the community in general lol.

ATs you should learn? Edge Canceled getup :pikachu:
Idk if your control layout allows for it, but something Jammy and I do (others do it too), it's dashdancing using half-circle motions to take advantage of dash-canceling mid-dashdance to simulate a longer dash dance. Wouldn't surprise me if you do already do this though, since it's just and extension of dash canceling.

I'm not sure of the meta is stagnant per se, but I think that compared to a couple of months ago it has slowed down. But what do I know, I don't even play in online mode :)

As for top 5 players, idk. According to the FCR, its Chaos0, Kyoz, InfamousKnight, RemPrower, and Chaunch. However, outside Chaos0 and Kyoz being the top 2 (their order is debatable), it's quite a toss up for the rest of the top players (although I think Rem makes top 5 easy). Plus, during any discussion concerning top players, it is always brought up that there are a few really good players that don't play online or enter tournaments. I'm not saying that these players are in the top 5, its just a topic that inevitably comes up in the discussion.

Youtube: NinjaLobsterStudios
Stream: twitch.tv/ninjalobster

Click to expand thumbnail

Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:28 pm

MGN Username: SoldierSunday
Currently Playing: Super Smash Flash 2
Everyone has their own top player tier list, i'd personally replace all 5 of those players.

AT's that you can practice is Utilt Out Of Shield, and ledgegrabbing consistently. Ledgegrabbing is really important, but its kind of hard to do consistently with some characters, like Falcon and Sheik.

" You know what neither Melee nor Brawl have ? Controller input history in training mode." - 228zip, 2013

Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:38 pm
Site Admin

MGN Username: [TSON]
Currently Playing: with myself
no one pivots in ssf2 so you're definitely ahead there. you're likely to pretty much only see stutter-stepping (dash-cancel-dash) and dashdancing at current high level play

Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:09 pm

Thanks for the answers guys. Appreciate it a lot. Sad to hear more people aren't pivoting yet but I still have hope that it'll become more common. It's really useful. Dash cancelling in general is. It's my favorite mechanic of any smash game.

Anyway, SS by ledgegrabbing do you mean like... stealing the edge from the other player, or regrabbing it for invincibility?

Godot, no actually I don't do that half circle dashdance. Seems kinda useful for some things though. Thanks for the idea.

Won't be playing online anytime soon I don't think, but the next time there's a Beta unveiling at some big smash event, I will heavily consider making an appearance. Not kidding. Thanks again guys.

Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:37 pm

Currently looking for advice on Mario about combo-ing and general matchups versus Zelda, Fox and Marth. They keep smashing me, but I don't know why.

Help much appreciated :smile:

Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:29 am
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
Mario combos are not easy to do but quite good. Dthrow is your main combo tool from a grab, although uthrow works for fast-fallers at lower percents. His uair does very little knockback until high percents, allowing you to chain it into grab, utilt, other aerials, and even smashes. Also, at lower percents nair combos into stuff. Dair is underused, as it gives you pretty free combos at a lot of percents. Ask someone else for the rest.

Good luck with Zelda and Marth, but Fox is totally doable if you can learn how to chaingrab effectively. Uthrow is your friend, and just try to optimize your punishes.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:40 am

Speaking of punishes, how do I lead into one? Of course there are fireballs, but sometimes you're simply outclassed in long/midrange and you need to get in there. But going in recklessly with a low n-air or grab makes me vulnerable to getting punished. To summarise. when I'm playing the aggressive game, how should I approach my opponent?

Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:34 am

Short-Hop Fireballs and keep your opponent guess. It's not a great projectile and beaten by 95% of everything, but it tacks on damage while refreshing your move-decay. And you can annoy your opponent into approaching. And going in with Nair is much of Mario's fastest approach options. You're going to be doing it a lot to in other to keep pressure on your opponent. Just be careful of the distance away from your opponent you, and be ready to react. If you land the nair, follow the DI for your combo. If you whiff close them, retreat, shield, Tornado to catch the punish, or whatever defensive options is necessary. Approach Fair can be good to mix up a opponents timing. It can punish and beat out many types of attacks if challenge, but the approach can be a very all or nothing bet.

Zelda isn't bad. You're able to control neutral with Fireballs and forcing her to the air. She's doesn't have great anti-air for landing and gets anti-air easily. And combos aren't too difficult on her and she's light-weight.

Marth is tricky for his range and spacing, but he's pretty vulnerable to combos from Mario. As well as has to get poked by Fireballs while recovering. It's 40:60 at worst, so doable to make up with good neutral and punishes.

Fox is easily assert himself over Mario because of better range, speed, and priority. You have to be very on-point with punishes and show no leeway or second chances to Fox's stock. Aim for Dsmash setups to get him off-stage and be ready to Bair his attempts to return. You do have an better time to catch Fox's approach with Star-Spin or Usmash also.

YouTube Video:
SSF2 Google Drive

Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:33 pm

In general, it is recommend that you assign keys to Jump and Dash rather than Tap-jump or Auto-dash/Double Tap to dash? Dash so far has proved to be very useful, but I'm not sure about jump, as it has felt more intuitive to have Jump and Up on the same key. However, it seems difficult to control when I want to Short Hop+ U-air and when I want to Up-Tilt.

What keyboard layout do you use?

Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:02 am
 [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next