The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 5:23 pm

[ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
ZSU's Item Sprites! 

Kirb-Star wrote:
I think the stage is too small imo

I see what you mean, but I'd like to know your thoughts on the quality of the sprites as well.

Sun May 15, 2016 7:04 pm

Just going to make a double post to bump the thread. Anyway, I really want to know your guys thoughts on this one...

In case you're wondering what this is, it's suppose to be Lavender Town, or at least the Pokémon Tower (which is in Lavender Town... I think). This one was extremely difficult for me. I just got into making 3d sprites, and so making this was kind of a pain. I'd say the hardest part was creating the back ground and spriting around the dome. Here's the main source I referenced for this sprite.

I then proceeded to reference a number of other sources, and then took some creative freedom when making the sprite. For example, the various windows either having, or not having a light is reminiscent of the original Pokémon Tower. Despite the fact that Lavender Town isn't usually presented as having such an eerie sky in the games, it does in the manga and anime (which is where all the mist and smog come from).

I don't think you can ever go onto the roof of the Pokémon Tower in any of the games, but in this case there are graves on top of it. These graves are reminiscent of the ones in the original Pokémon. Not only that, but you can also see a Ghastly in the background (a Pokémon often found in the tower).

The sprite still looks a bit jank in my opinion, but I really want to know your guys thoughts.

Tue May 24, 2016 7:29 pm

Waifu: zero suit wario
The perspective is really off and most of the lines seem like they were poorly resized.
I recommend looking for a tutorial on stage perspectives, I also used to had the same problem with my stages.

Tue May 24, 2016 8:46 pm

Thanks for the tips. Yeah. I honestly didn't know what I was doing with background.

Tue May 24, 2016 8:51 pm

what program do you use?

Wed May 25, 2016 10:10 pm

yamnow wrote:
what program do you use?

I actually use a website called Piskel.

Wed May 25, 2016 10:51 pm

MGN Username: Micbro
Currently Playing: Super Smash Brothers for 3ds, Super Smash Flash 2, Kid Icarus Uprising (after game stuff)
I recommend paint.net, it's free and expendable

Thu May 26, 2016 7:55 pm

Don't remember what this was from, but I had this laying around in sprite files.

Attachments:
Gamer 7.gif
Gamer 7.gif [ 12 KiB | Viewed 3684 times ]

Thu May 26, 2016 10:58 pm

Waifu: zero suit wario
Reminds me of the Gamer Stage in Smash Wii U

Thu May 26, 2016 11:18 pm

Looking into it, that's probably what it was. Probably not going to finish it though. I think the fact that I didn't know where it was from, and forgot about shows my interesting in the project.

Fri May 27, 2016 3:59 pm

TBH? I was really trying to improve my sprite quality, and eventually wanted to sign up to become a dev. Looks like that won't happen anymore. Huh... Anyway, I think I'll just make 2 more sprites and see where I go from there. I recently resprited the Game Boy stage. Take a look!

Here it is without the Link sprite (which was obviously courteous of the SSF2 devs).

Attachments:
GB5.gif
GB5.gif [ 12 KiB | Viewed 3586 times ]

Sun May 29, 2016 8:29 pm

MGN Username: SageHarpuiaJDJ
Currently Playing: The game of Life
Waifu: Beruka from Fates
Yeah, I wouldn't try and go that far in being a dev yet; I'd just focus on getting the basics down and advancing, because right now you have quite the way to go.

First thing's first, the lines. I strongly suggest investing in/or downloading a program since you're using something online, and from this linework, your options are very limited. There's too many inconsistencies with the line thickness of all the sprites you posted and all of them are way too think. Sprites in general usually have lines that are 1-2 pixels thick. It may be thicker for things like stages, but yours are pushing the boundary, which isn't bad since it's a common newbie mistake.

Another thing is the perspective. Perspective isn't something that someone starting just starting tries to apply to their sprites asap. It usually takes a while and a lot of practice before it can be applied. The perspective on all of these shows the bottom portion too much, making the sprites you put on as placeholder stick to the stage like a refrigerator magnet rather than a organic figure.

The colors are also inconsistent, ranging from too bright to too dull. Also not shading on something this huge isn't a good idea, but since you're just starting, I can understand. I did see some shading, but the contrast was very low.

People have already posted similar criticism already, but I thought I'd go into more detail. You're going in too deep right now and you haven't learn to stay afloat in the water. There's a few minor things you have to practice before actually trying to go all in, and it will take awhile.

Here's some tutorials for perspective and one for foreshortening. These apply to drawing, but spriting is form of digital drawing, and most people draw on paper and covert into sprites, so these shouldn't be off.
http://nsio.deviantart.com/art/Nsio-exp ... -421873998
http://nsio.deviantart.com/art/Nsio-Exp ... -568509612
http://nsio.deviantart.com/art/Nsio-exp ... -427366531

Mon May 30, 2016 8:14 am

Yeah. You're right. Probably wouldn't have made the team anyway. Anyway, here's an Earth Bound styled Mario sprite.

Attachments:
Mario.gif
Mario.gif [ 4 KiB | Viewed 3515 times ]

Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:58 pm

Bumping the thread for awareness. Made Pac-Maze.

Attachments:
Pac 11 clone.gif
Pac 11 clone.gif [ 8 KiB | Viewed 3435 times ]

Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:06 am

Made Omega Wii Fit.

Attachments:
oie_sPB6sQe85aqZ.png
oie_sPB6sQe85aqZ.png [ 13.18 KiB | Viewed 3330 times ]

Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:27 am
 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next