The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 3:08 pm

[ 12 posts ] 
Top 5 Albums of Your Year? 
BR Member

MGN Username: Suli Hyuga
So this year is coming to an end and I've been watching TheNeedleDrop's videos of his favourite albums and EPs and was wondering what were your highlights of the year? I'm not too big on music in all honesty but I thought this would be a pretty interesting discussion.
In no particular order, my top 5 are:

Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo and Youth
I'm a huge Lupe Fan and although this isn't my favourite Lupe record, it certainly was a very impressive one. IMO, it lived up to it's expectations.

Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
I know this is quite a cliche on these types of lists but as someone who was never a huge fan kid of Kendrick, this record blew my mind. I'm quite excited for his future project with J Cole.

Joey Bada$$ - B4DA$$
I've been a huge Pro Era fan since the beginning of last year and this album lived up to it's hype for sure. I understand that this was meant to be the album to give Joey mainstream success as a solo artist, but I REALLY wished that there was some more Pro Era collaborations on this album.

The Internet - Ego Death
In all honesty, from a critical standpoint, I can see this album being viewed as mediocre or decently good but this year was the year I got into Neo Soul and Alt Hip Hop and it was thanks to this album. If you wanna get into this band however, I suggest looking at Feel Good first.

Now, I haven't really thought about a number 5 so as a [potential] number 5 I'm going to throw in something I'm still listening to. (I just found out about it from TheNeedleDrop's top 50 albums of 2015 video):
Clarence Clarity - No Now
I don't know man, I like weird s***. And for real, this s*** is weird. I feel like if Death Grips and XXYYXX had a child, and that child had a child with early days Gorillaz, and THAT child smoked a ton of weed, you would have this album (at least that's the feel I'm getting from it. Hell, I don't even know if I like it... Like... I don't know man. This s*** is intriguing.)

My YouTube page! Subscribe! (Currently on hiatus)
My twitter!

Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:48 pm
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Sekiro, Persona 4
Waifu: That’s right. PS4.
cool thread fam
1. is definitely my favorite, theyre not particularly in order after that. a lot of great albums came out this year, it's hard to choose favorites.

1. Oneohtrix Point Never - Garden of Delete
goddamn
amazing

2. Nosaj Thing - Fated
nosaj thing has been slowly and surely progressing from making alright music to some absolutely FANTASTIC music, from drift to home, he upped the ambiance and atmosphere and toned it down on the sonic melodies and active "ingredients" in each song, making for a more focused, cohesive and interesting sound. fated is a continuation on this and it's f*** stellar. anyone into really boring passive electronic music or instrumental hip hop should listen to this s*** it's gold

3. Paul de Jong - IF
paul de jong was part of the books. if u know me sorta well u know that i have a massive f*** music boner for the books. they're easily my favorite musical duo of all time. his first debut album since the books disbanded is not a disappointment at all, featuring a sound that is familiar to the books' early output, but at the same time new and appropriately progressive. there's still weird samples, fantastic composition and some of the best goddamn cello pieces and manipulation you'll hear, like, ever

4. Lil Ugly Mane - Oblivion Access
UGLY MANE SAVED HIP HOP HOLY s***
no really this record is amazing, it's been so worth the wait. i cant believe ugly is leaving the rap game after dropping such an amazing album. lyrically he's at the top of his game which is incredible considering how fantastic a lyricist he's already been
his production is so GOOD! tons of super f*** catchy beats, noise influence, his rapping is all fantastic like it's always been. this is such a great album. f***

5. 2814 - 新しい日の誕生 (Birth of a New Day)
VAPORWAVE SON
nah really this record is really great, it shows that vaporwave can be taken seriously as a genre and it has a lot of room for experimentation and pioneering ahead of it. fantastic ambient and evocative album. beautiful f*** soundscapes.

honorable mentions (again, not particularly in order):
viet cong - viet cong
lapalux - lustmore
godspeed you! black emperor - asunder sweet and other distress
algiers - algiers
young thug - barter 6
kid606 - bored of excitement
joanne robertson - black moon days
lukepi - no wonder

probably forgetting a few others that i really liked but w/e

Blue wrote:
lol Cry more, Terminex. f*** f**. lolololololol What a b****.

Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:50 pm

Currently Playing: Mandolin
Not a lot of note happened this year in music

Some good stuff came out but nothing was amazing

I liked the new Godspeed You! Black Emperor album

The only other thing of note music wise was Lush announcing that they're coming back. Maybe they'll be understood now that shoegaze is hip again and a meme.

Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:08 pm
Site Admin

Whimzer wrote:
Not a lot of note happened this year in music

Some good stuff came out but nothing was amazing

I liked the new Godspeed You! Black Emperor album

The only other thing of note music wise was Lush announcing that they're coming back. Maybe they'll be understood now that shoegaze is hip again and a meme.

it was a pretty great year for electronic music and hip hop, there were a lot of good albums to come out in those genres

the new gy!be is fantastic, probably my favorite by them

do you like sunn o))) whim? i forget. ive not listened to their new record yet

Blue wrote:

Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:35 pm

Currently Playing: Mandolin
I wouldn't say the new GY!BE is my favorite because it doesn't reach the sheer cathartic levels of Yanqui U.X.O, but it's something that's really solid from a band with a very consistently good output.

I think of Sunn O))) as novelty more than anything. They're the least interesting Drone band to me and I honestly haven't listened to them since Black One.
Earth is far superior, and it's not just because their post Hex western sound speaks to my soul.

Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:54 pm
Site Admin

i like both bands a lot but i'd agree with you, earth is probably better. sunn's collaborative record with boris is one of my all time favorite drone metal records though

earth's earlier output (earth 2, pentastar) is more enjoyable to me than their newer stuff generally but hex and the bees made honey in the lion's skull are both fantastic records that i like a lot. their last album wasn't very good from what i remember but it wasn't offensively bad or anything

Blue wrote:

Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:30 pm
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Probably the new patch of SSF2 Beta.
Despite all the music I've listened to this year, I haven't really listened to many albums.

I mean, LBN667 has released 8 albums this year, and I've listened to all of those (and liked 7 of them), but 5 of them were just unreleased stuff, which doesn't really count. Or maybe it does? I don't know.

So, here's basically every album I've listened to other than LBN667 this year, and my favourite LBN667 albums of the year, in an approximate order of how much I like them.

#1: Cravagoide - Empty Frame
I'd been waiting for this album for ages, and while it was certainly not what I was expecting after the feel and style of their first album, Arborea, it's still a fantastic electronic album, and extremely well made. Definitely recommended. Favourite track would be the title track, Empty Frame.

#2: LBN667 - LBN667
This EP has what I feel is the perfect mix between LBN667's older and newer styles and, although short, every track is so good. Listened to it a lot. Favourite track is Try To Keep.

#3: LBN667 - rippel
This was a pretty weird album, and the style of the tracks is absolutely all over the place, and I didn't have overly high expectations of it with the teasers, but I ended up enjoying it heaps as a whole. Favourite track is washout.

#4: Ricky Eat Acid - Mixtape
On first listen, I had a pretty poor opinion of this album. It's extremely weird, and it was hard to get into. I really like it now, though it's still not my favourite album ever. Favourite track would be either Outside Dan's House or Sun.

#5: Arbitrarium - Confines
It's a really nice ambient album, and it has a style that is absolutely amazing when you're in the mood for it. Sadly, I don't find it a very great listen outside of that. Favourite track would be either Grown Out or Fluorescent Hell.

This doesn't really count, since it's just a bunch of old, unreleased tracks, but LBN667 - 4 was one of my favourite releases of the year, too, mainly because it had most of my favourite unreleased tracks on it. Heaps and heaps of great stuff, like I'll Never Be Who I Am Inside, Be There, Jayeem x LBN667, outside / night air and my two personal favourite LBN667 tracks of all time, Delicate and Dead Girl.

So that's basically everything. There's been a lot of good music this year for me, but it's been mostly single tracks.

Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:37 am
Site Moderator

MGN Username: Arel
Currently Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Waifu: Jesus of Nazareth
Oh boy, there's so many great albums that came out this year, so I'll have to make mine a top 10.

Arel's Favorite Albums of 2015

10. 2814 - 新しい日の誕生
One of the more standout releases a midst the millions of other vaporwave projects atm. Very ambient and relaxing. Drones on for quite a bit in some places, if you like that sorta thing.

Favorite Track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpK2J40jkx4

9. Viet Cong - Viet Cong
Some of the members of the fantastic post-punk group, Women, make up Viet Cong. They come through with a sound very similar to Women, as well, maybe slightly less noisy and a little bit more basic song structures.

Favorite Track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdMz7BUtOvk

8. Oneohtrix Point Never - Garden of Delete
OPN proves time and time again that he is one of the most original and innovative electronic artists around, and he proves it again on GoD.

Favorite Track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be67Sb4S-ec

7. Westkust - Last Forever
A fun and punchy dream pop/shoegaze record filled with lots of energy and catchy hooks.

Favorite Track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFBJu7bliZY

6. Panopticon - Autumn Eternal
Some more fantastic folky black metal from one of my favorite acts in the genre.

Favorite Track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD6pOAT_vHo

5. Lil Ugly Mane - Third Side of Tape
Although Oblivion Access, LUM's newest "album", is fantastic, I find that this compilation is more representative of all that this man is capable of doing (and doing well.) This is a 2 and a half hour long release that contains everything from southern hip hop, to industrial, to metal, to pretty much everything.

Favorite Track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rqVaaAIQSs (not really a track but w/e)

4. Everything Everything - Get to Heaven
This is my first time hearing this group, and I was so surprised I liked them as much as I did, this is honestly just straight up pop music. This has some of the best production I've ever heard... ever. Everything sounds so crisp and each song is catchy as f*** while still being unique every time.

Favorite Track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo9htBgju58

3. Clarence Clarity - No Now
Speaking of pop music... Clarence shows that he is capable of making songs very catchy and traditional in songwriting while simultaneously utilizing some of the strangest sounds to do so. This album can make you wanna dance, while making you feel equally grimy. This thing is layered, colorful, and noisy. The production is very fantastic on this record, too.

Favorite Track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi58qW3G1Jg

2. Death Grips - The Powers That B
If you're not already familiar with this group, then there's probably other websites you can find that will explain their music better than I can.

Favorite Track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49B5f6awKOg

1. Alex G - Beach Music
This guy is probably one of the most underrated songwriters of all time, IMO. He has super original chord progressions on a lot of his tracks. He puts so much work into the vocal melodies and lyrics. And god damn this thing is just so wonderful and sweet and sad. Great record for a guy with such a consistently good output in the first place. Maybe his best, but who knows what he'll put out in the future.

Favorite Track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afksp41Iaac

Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:39 am
Site Moderator

Currently Playing: FFXIV
Waifu: you get ONE guess
gonna be a special snowflake and do 10 as well. i didn't actually get around to all my albums but i listened to about 70 so that's probably good enough. also: i am bad at describing things

pretty neat prog metal album, some unconventional song structures and haunting vocal melodies. the first time i tried to listen to this album, i didn't finish it because it sounded really weird and the guy's voice was giving me a headache, but in retrospect i'm pretty sure i was hungover & playing world of warcraft. good album

probably the heaviest album i listened to this year. the songs crawl around at a glacial pace, which is to be expected of a doom album, but they riff hard and evoke a sense of dread that i adore. only one track clocks in at below 10 minutes, but none of them overstay their welcome. sweet album

i've been aware of The Underachievers for a while now, but none of their previous projects really wowed me. i always considered them "Flatbush Zombies-lite" until this album. split into two "phases", this album features some really varied production and energetic flows from both Issa Gold and AK. fun listen all around

not a whole lot to say, just a really great black metal album through and through. eerie, cold and all that. Frostauðn is a terrifying ambient track

hip hop for hipsters etc. milo is a really unique mc, going from flows that verge on spoken word (Souvenir) to fast paced and aggressive (Song About A Raygunn) and sounding great regardless of which one he's using. the beats here are odd and off kilter, but fit with milo's equally odd style. excellent features too, including my boy Open Mike Eagle.

sludgy prog metal. technical without being boring and wanky. production is flawless and that bass tone is to die for, as with all Intronaut albums. riffs.

pretty much what Arel said. fantastic folky black metal, but he seems a lot more focused here than on Roads To The North, resulting in a better album overall.

oh my god Worlds To Run is the best f*** song, jesus christ. the rest of the album is really good too. busdriver's rapid fire flows sound great as ever, and there isn't a bad beat on this thing. listen to it. or at least Worlds To Run a few times.

riffy, frantic crust punk. do people still even call it that anymore? it's basically blackened hardcore with some atmospheric passages. whatever.
an immense f*** album, absolutely nails an atmosphere of depression and bitterness. just read these lyrics, god damn.
i feel like i should write more about it, but it'd probably be better if you just listened to the damn thing. i warned you

80s worshipping synthwave with actual substance? sign me the f*** up. i almost feel bad for putting this at #1 when Weltschmerz is such a fantastic album, but this is undoubtedly my most listened to album of 2015 because it's just so damn fun. every track is quality, and even when it slows down (see: Kitsune) it's really engaging. listen to it on a long drive at night, you'll see.

Honourable Mentions:
Veil Of Maya - Matriarch. I know it's genericore but the concept panders to me (all the songs are about girls from games/movies/anime etc) and i'm okay with that. See: Aeris

Nechochwen - Heart Of Akamon. Folk/Black metal in the vein of Panopticon, but with more of a Native American influence. I think you'd dig this too, Arel. See: Lost On The Trail Of The Setting Sun

Lil Ugly Mane - Oblivion Access. I think I need a little more time with this one before i could rank it effectively, but it's pretty f*** good regardless. See: Opposite Lanes

Baroness - Purple. Initially the album blew me away, but after repeat listens a couple small issues kept it out of my top 10. namely, the production kinda sucks. not the "low fi" kinda sucks, but the "brickwalled and clipping" kinda sucks. still, pretty good album. it'd probably be around #13 or something if i made a longer list. See: Morningstar

i could name a whole bunch more but it'd make this an even longer read so f*** it. the longer i look at this, the less confident i am in my rankings as well, so here we are

Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:42 am
Site Moderator

MGN Username: Arel
Currently Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Waifu: Jesus of Nazareth
Great list, Scott!

Also I forgot to say No Wonder by Luke is definitely an honorable mention, and it almost made my top ten. Check out his album if you haven't yet!

2015 was a great year for music, boys

Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:37 pm
Site Admin

Arel wrote:
Great list, Scott!

Also I forgot to say No Wonder by Luke is definitely an honorable mention, and it almost made my top ten. Check out his album if you haven't yet!

2015 was a great year for music, boys

:oops:

i definitely agree that 2015 was a great year for music releases, looking forward to 2016

Blue wrote:

Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:55 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: w/ emotions
Waifu: joey
Prhyme (DJ Premier and Royce)
Take one of the best producers of all-time in the hip-hop industry and a skilled (yet under appreciated) lyricist, and you have an exceptional album. Premo and Royce did their thing, and the features were also superb.

Mura Masa - Someday Somewhere (EP)
Mura Masa is easily one of my new favorite artists. His skills as a producer is just amazing, and his beats are truly unique. He uses a combination of both Electronic, Jazz Hip-hop, and RnB sounds and it blends together perfectly to create a solid project that I've been listening to very often. Being only slightly over 20 minutes, it is definitely worth at least one listen.

Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
Keeping up the concept album trend he introduced in his previous albums, Kendrick Lamar once again drops another amazing project. The overall sound this album has is very unlike his previous works, being more on the "funk" side of hip-hop. It isn't my favorite Kendrick album (my personal favorite being GKMC) but its still a brilliant piece of work and one of the best albums of 2015. Many consider this album to be the best hip-hop album of 2015, and although I don't agree, I can definitely see where they are coming from.

Marcus D - The Lone Wolf LP
Marcus D is seriously underrated. His productions are very Japanese-inspired jazz hip-hop beats that just sound beautiful. If you enjoy listening to Nujabes, Ta-Ku, and DK Okawari, you'll definitely enjoy Marcus D. Focusing on this particular album, the entire thing is just a very chill and smooth experience. The featured rappers all did great, Marcus D only features legit lyricists in his works. The Lone Wolf LP is a beautiful collection of music that I can't recommend enough
ALSO, Marcus D released another album in 2012 called Retro'd. I know that was 4 years ago but I feel like I HAVE to mention it cuz I think it deserves more praise, especially from the gaming community. A great collection of hip-hop remixes of various video games of Marcus' childhood that will most definitely lead you to nodding your head to the beat.

Oddisee - The Good Fight
This album is just... brilliant. It has everything an album needs. Oddisee both produces and raps on this album masterfully. The beats are crafted beautifully and diverse while still keeping a central kind of feel. Although he isn't known for his lyrics as much as his beats, he definitely still holds his own in the rapping department and is able to convey his messages through his words. Jazzy beats and nice hooks make for a light-hearted album that should not be missed.

Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:51 pm
 [ 12 posts ]