The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 1:14 pm

[ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
Pikachu 
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
Shine! wrote:
sparty88 wrote:
People saying Pika was nerfed hard have me confused. Was he seriously better than he is now? I didn't start playing until this current version, so I don't know.

He only has slight nerfs like longer start up/lag on his projectile, a slower side smash, and recovery lag. But of the top 3 S tier from 9a he recieved the least nerfs.

In one of 9a first versions, he had a fthrow infinite chaingrab on every character. He was pretty broken then lol.
His projectile was a huge thing, the characters in S-tier last demo each had some way of shutting down most of the cast with ease. Sonic had Light Dash, Puff had too much aerial mobility, and Pikachu had his thunderbolt. These characters had other great attributes in addition to these (Sonic is soooo fast, Puff has range and Rest, Pika is fast and has great utilty with QAC and maybe the best gimping ability of the top tiers).

Youtube: NinjaLobsterStudios
Stream: twitch.tv/ninjalobster

Click to expand thumbnail

Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:39 pm
BR Member

Pikachu more like Prioritychu amirite?

Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:04 pm

MGN Username: gEmssbguy13
Currently Playing: Smash Bros, FNaF, Undertale, GMod, Delver, Xenoblade, ect...
FedoraTheExplorer wrote:
Pikachu more like Prioritychu amirite?

Apparently so....

Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:45 pm

MGN Username: sparty88
Apparently priority is a mess so we're just going to have to wait for the next installment.

Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:55 pm

MGN Username: gEmssbguy13
Currently Playing: Smash Bros, FNaF, Undertale, GMod, Delver, Xenoblade, ect...
sparty88 wrote:
Apparently priority is a mess so we're just going to have to wait for the next installment.

I find Pika in his current state the only one who can reliably get through Zelda's fsmash and aerial approaches, it's pretty interesting. My have to challenge Zalozis again to test this theory.

Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:06 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
Pika seems like a good counter to floaties and characters with poor recoveries. Poor recoveries in particular seem to get wrecked by fthrows to uair gimps.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:11 pm

For what reason does thunder spike? Seems kind of too good for edgeguarding.

Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:44 am
BR Member

MGN Username: TSF|Cookies
Currently Playing: PM, Melee, Ultimate, Hollow Knight
Ed415 wrote:
For what reason does thunder spike? Seems kind of too good for edgeguarding.

Propably to stop Thunderspiking... Or just giving him a second spike... I don´t know

Shoutouts to Harr for this sick player card!

Join Chibi Nation, the 20CR Discord for all aspiring Chibi-Robo mains!

Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:57 am
BR Member

thunder spike is some bull i tell ya h'wat.

its safe to say that everything makes me salty at this point

Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:30 am

MGN Username: Drarky
Currently Playing: SSF2, Starbound
Waifu: Lenna Tycoon
So, after some random matches with Pikachu I should say it feels pretty neat to use, but I don't know any combos/advance stuff.

Can anyone show me some basics? I really want to pick him up, it feels like he has a lot of potential.

ImageImageImageImage

Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:13 pm
BR Member

First thing: Pikachu has one of the best finishers in the game in up smash. It kills floaties like nobody's business.
Pikachu has good aerial mobility and mobility in general. Quick Attack is something to practice using until you can reliably sweetspot in every possible way, so no one will be able to edgeguard you. Another thing is that uair is a very useful move to learn the spacing of: the semi-spike can send at almost a 45% angle downward, and for characters like Naruto you can get insanely early gimps from it. How I play Pika is as a rushdown character: I don't use Thunder Jolt all that much, but I've seen people who camp it. SH nair, dair, and fair are all good close-range options, as are tilts and the occasional random usmash. Pika has limited chaingrabs on heavies and fast-fallers, and you can get a lot of mileage off of just chaingrabbing them off the stage and then uairing them, but only a few characters are really susceptible to this. In general, Pika has good edgeguarding and offstage play, so getting them off the stage and then going as deep as you need to to get a kill is how I play Pika. Watch the Axe four-stock of Silent Wolf online to get the idea. Dair has really good base knockback, so it's useful for getting them offstage early for gimps. Nair, fair, and uair are your staple juggles and combo tools.

To recap: learn the chaingrabs Pika has, learn how to use Pika's aerial game both for combos and early kills, and try to get them offstage and then take stocks quickly. That's just my thoughts on Pika: I'm sure someone else has better advice.

For Doom:
For Kicks:

Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:31 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Jammy
I've never won against a competent pikachu (auraka, blossom). Any tips on the MU?

Youtube         Twitch

<insert giant anime gif here>

Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:27 pm
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
Jammy wrote:
I've never won against a competent pikachu (auraka, blossom). Any tips on the MU?

I'll just assume you mean Falcon ;)
Falcon gets punished hard in this matchup, because of his fall speed and the linearity of his recovery. Once Falcon is offstage he is done, so he needs to keep center stage as much as possible. Pika is also at a bad height for nair, Falcon has to get pika to go to the air first, then he can get stuff done with nair and uair. You can accomplish this with dtilt, grab (I think), and jab.
You gotta watch out for fair and dair though in the air, Pika's have large hitboxes. Pika does fall prey to uair->knee combos more easily than you would think. He is also tied for second lightest in the game, but considering his recovery is so good if he doesn't die outright he will be coming back. Bair is super good to edgeguard Pika.
This matchup has got to be 60-40 at least for Pika. But if you remember the golden rule of fighting Pikachu you should be good:
"Never be above the 'chu."

Youtube: NinjaLobsterStudios
Stream: twitch.tv/ninjalobster

Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:20 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Jammy
Starkiller2 wrote:
Jammy wrote:

I'll just assume you mean Falcon ;)
Falcon gets punished hard in this matchup, because of his fall speed and the linearity of his recovery. Once Falcon is offstage he is done, so he needs to keep center stage as much as possible. Pika is also at a bad height for nair, Falcon has to get pika to go to the air first, then he can get stuff done with nair and uair. You can accomplish this with dtilt, grab (I think), and jab.
You gotta watch out for fair and dair though in the air, Pika's have large hitboxes. Pika does fall prey to uair->knee combos more easily than you would think. He is also tied for second lightest in the game, but considering his recovery is so good if he doesn't die outright he will be coming back. Bair is super good to edgeguard Pika.
This matchup has got to be 60-40 at least for Pika. But if you remember the golden rule of fighting Pikachu you should be good:
"Never be above the 'chu."

Thanks man. I'll remember that golden rule :P
I really need to practise more matchups cause I'm getting bopped by auraka as any damn character lmao.
Either that or my fundamentals suck, which is entirely more likely.
Anyway, getting off topic, thanks for the tips.

Youtube         Twitch

<insert giant anime gif here>

Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:29 pm
BR Member

I think compared to Auraka, most of us suck. I would add to Starkiller's excellent analysis that you have to be really wary of getting hit onto platforms with uair, because it can set up all of Pika's kill moves, Thunder, and more uairs.

For Doom:
For Kicks:

Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:55 pm
 [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next