The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 5:07 pm

[ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Musical Secret Santa - With MG! (SIGN-UPS CLOSED) 
Site Moderator

Waifu: Trollbean
MG'S 2014 MUSICAL SECRET SANTA

Edit 12/10: Signups are now over. Be sure to join us next year, or in the next Album-A-Day thread.

What is this?
This Christmas, we're gonna have an album exchange! Names will be randomized, and you'll get to send new music to someone that they might like, and you'll get some new music yourself! Spread the holiday love <3

How does it work?
Signups are open until Wednesday, December 10th. On that day, our resident DJ Kyuubit (who will not be participating) will randomize the list of all the participants and PM each one with the user they'll be giving music to (Note that the person you're giving music to won't necessarily be the person giving music to you). On Saturday, December 20th, each participant will deliver their albums personally via PM.

Signing up:
Just post your name in the thread, as well as a little bit of information about your tastes. You don't have to post what kind of music you like, but if you don't whoever picks music for you will just be guessing and it won't be personalized. Post your last.fm if you have one, list some examples of genres and artists you enjoy.

Delivering the albums:
Once your user has been chosen, you'll have ten days to decide on what to send them. Each person will send 3 albums (this number was chosen to reduce the likelihood of getting just one album the user already knows, and the reasonably low number means no one will get an amount of albums too large for them to listen to). When you send your PM, include the name of the album and artist, and a link to the whole album as a Youtube video or playlist (Example). DO NOT LINK TO FILE SHARING WEBSITES. That kind of s*** runs the risk of getting MG in a lot of trouble, so don't do it.

Note: There's no rule against "gag gifts" either. If you wanna be the guy that sends Nickelback's Greatest Hits, Video Game OST #241858 and Hybrid Theory, you're more than welcome to. Ya dick.

Participants: (Click to see their signup post)
-Baron von Jiggly
-Dephius
-Esper
-Kittenpuncher
-Luke
-Luna
-Nixter
-Refurin
-Term
-Whimzer

Last edited by Term on Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:40 pm
Site Moderator

An example of how to sign up:

I'm Term! You know me probably!
Here's my last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/TerminX13 (It's in my sig too)

For a long time prog rock has been my "favorite" genre, but I'm starting to branch out a lot into lots of other genres, especially electronic. I don't know much about electronic stuff, so if you're familiar with that, that would be a cool idea. I like downtempo, but I'm not familiar with much else so have fun. Lately I've been really into Sufjan Stevens & Brand New, so some "indie rock" kinda stuff might be nice. I like albums with a lot of variety, albums with great production, hip-hop albums with cool samples. Not generally a metal fan - I like some but I'm really really picky about it. Otherwise though I'm open to most things, so have fun!

(Of course I'll be participating, I can't pass this up :P )

Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:46 pm

MGN Username: Nixter
Currently Playing: Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Buddies! I wish for the musics. All of it.
http://www.last.fm/user/NixterT my last.fm because that's my taste

My musical roots started with electronic and ambient music, which I still love, and it branched off and developed more, I enjoy metal of all kinds, doom, thrash, black, prog. you name it, and I also enjoy pretty much any genre that has interesting ideas, so progressive rock, experimental versions of genres, genres that combine other genres or takes influences from, even hip-hop that has unique instrumentation. I listen to a good rounded amount ranging from light stuff like indie rock and pop to more obscure genres, recently getting into more drone music, which I still have to explore loads of. I would like to get into more jazz, I would say, but honestly a beautiful post-rock or banging electronic album would do just as fine; I'm really open to everything, however I really dislike OSTs, I can appreciate them sometimes (See: Silent Hill) however I probably won't actively listen to them. Also, while I don't mind obscure genres, noise is generally annoying to me, I really dislike most noise and find it meaningless in most cases. However some artists are ok (Luke has some cool ones) and noise combined with rock to make noise rock or even stuff like Death Grips is stuff I can get into. Foreign music is also weird with me, like I can listen to Ulver's Kveldssanger and enjoy it a lot, but cannot stand other languages like Japanese, I don't know why, but it annoys me to pieces.

That's about it!

Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:13 pm
Site Moderator

sign me up

I can't accurately summarize my music taste in a single paragraph without sounding like a bigger aspie than I already am so I'll just leave it at "I like literally everything" and hope for the best

Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:53 pm

Nixter wrote:
Foreign music is also weird with me, like I can listen to Ulver's Kveldssanger and enjoy it a lot, but cannot stand other languages like Japanese, I don't know why, but it annoys me to pieces.

it's called racism

Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:15 pm

MGN Username: Nixter
Currently Playing: Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
kyuubot wrote:
Nixter wrote:
Foreign music is also weird with me, like I can listen to Ulver's Kveldssanger and enjoy it a lot, but cannot stand other languages like Japanese, I don't know why, but it annoys me to pieces.

it's called racism

The actual sounding of the language annoys me, not the culture.

Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:22 pm

so your ears are racist

Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:25 pm

Currently Playing: Apple
Waifu: Apple
i guess i'll sign up.

should be fun

I AM APPLE

Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:26 pm
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Sekiro, Persona 4
Waifu: That’s right. PS4.
hi i'm luke and i like music a whole bunch!!! i'd like to participate

http://www.last.fm/user/lookehpee
http://www.last.fm/user/lookehpee/library < some artists i enjoy a lot

it's tough for me to decide what genres are my favorites, i'm really really into electronic music, trip hop, idm (as lame a term as that is), drone, post-rock (another lame term), hip hop, krautrock, ambient, and experimental music. i enjoy atmospheric and soulful tunes. i'm not particularly picky but i know what i like, and the stuff that i like, i like a lot

a couple of my all time favorite albums are:
Gorillaz - The Fall
The Books - The Lemon of Pink
Flying Lotus - 1983
Daedelus - Invention
Clark - Totems Flare
Ulver - Perdition City

yeah that's about it i guess. this is gonna be fun

Blue wrote:
lol Cry more, Terminex. f*** f**. lolololololol What a b****.

Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:56 pm
Site Moderator

baron von jiggly wrote:
i guess i'll sign up.

should be fun

What kind of music do you like?

Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:47 pm

Currently Playing: Apple
Waifu: Apple
i will generally listen to anything but rap (pop bottlez is an exception). But my main music genres are anything video game like, all things orchestra, sometimes opera, rock music (im not good with genres of rock), and jazz

I AM APPLE

Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:50 pm

I had no time whatsoever to do the album a day thing but this is do-able!
Hi I'm Luna and I'm a bum and stuff!

I'm not good with describing genres and all that stuff, so I'll just leave some of my favorite songs and you can be the judge.
YouTube Video:

YouTube Video:

YouTube Video:

YouTube Video:

YouTube Video:

YouTube Video:

Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:08 pm
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Probably the new patch of SSF2 Beta.
I am Refurin, apparently. And I would like to participate, or something.

As far as music I like, I mostly like ambient stuff. I like more ambient IDM (or something?) and I like drone. I also like instrumental hip-hop sometimes. In general, I prefer instrumental music, as I extremely rarely like the way the lyrics of a song are spoken. Uh.

Here are two of my favourite albums, to give you an idea.
First one, second one.

Sure. That'll do.

Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:16 pm

Currently Playing: Dota 2, CSGO, MGSV
Hey ya'll sorry for not doing the November thing, but this is way easier so I'll sign up.

I've listened to more classic rock than anything but I've branched off into different forms of metal. I haven't done much black metal, but I'm really getting into thrash metal and progressive metal, particularly the latter. Not a fan of country, I can stand some folk. Hip-hop is okay, don't like rap though. I also enjoy rock and metal with elements of orchestra, but haven't delved into it much.

Oh yeah favorite album:
YouTube Video:

Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:44 pm

Waifu: I'm married
/in

my name's kp and i like metal! im also into anything i find interesting, from bob dylan to tortoise

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:07 pm
YIM WWW
 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next