The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 4:58 am

[ 5 posts ] 
Granolabars application 

Name (aka Handle):
Granolabar :yoshi:

How old are you?:
Which characters do you play in SSF2? Why do you play these characters? (Note: do not list characters that are not currently in the game):
Yoshi, because he’s fun and technical which reminds me of melee fox

How much experience do you have with official Smash titles? (SSB64, Melee, Brawl. Include in this answer which characters you play/played.):
I play yoshi in every game where Yoshi is a playable character. (so all of them)
I played all of them competitively in school tournaments and I even joined genesis 3.

Have you ever attended any Smash tournaments? If so, give some details about the tournament (number of participants, which games, etc). How well did you place?
I’ve entered some online tourneys and shown my yoshi wrath!>:3
I also placed first in a tourney with axeending999 infamous kyoz and mirwaiss! >:333
When did you start playing SSF2?
When I downloaded the game

What is your favorite stage in SSF2? Explain.

My favorite stage is yoshi’s story. Cause it reminds me of when i was young, and my mom (randall) would always pick me back up after i fell off my bike.
Who, in your opinion, should be placed first on the SSF2 tier list? Under competitive settings why would this character perform on a higher level than all others?
Yoshi, because he’s really strong and fast *edit* when you consider his meta defining techs and ability to cover the stage with his devastating combos. His attacks kill early even on donkey kong. His recovery also has super armor like donkey kongs upb. And everyone hates it because donkey kong loses only 1 matchup. And its versus yoshi

Who, in your opinion, should be placed last on the SSF2 tier list? Under competitive settings why would this character perform on a lower level than all others?
Sora because he’s slow and his attacks don’t work. To balance sora id give his double jump super armor

If you could make only one change to SSF2 as it currently is, what would it be and why?

I would change the music on the stage “phase 8” because it’s not yoshi friendly.

What is your view on items in competitive play?
I believe items make competitive play less competitive and more random and un skill based. Also there's no yoshi themed items so it really is leaving out the yoshi fan base.
Do you have or can you download Skype? You don't need a mic or webcam.
I have skype. Add me, my name is neil itenads allyvrre.

Why do you want to join the Smash Flash Back Room? What will you contribute? Why are you an exceptional applicant? Be as detailed as possible.

I want to share my in depth information on yoshi, giving the general community a better understanding of a not very well known character.

Additional information (Include in this section anything relevant to your application. This could include links to videos of yourself playing.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG7uQ51lCgY
http://challonge.com/85rhx1ik (tourney I won)

Last edited by Granolabars on Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:09 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: KarmaPilcrow
Currently Playing: the waiting game
Waifu: Furry trash.
1. You're playing as Yoshi in a tournament against Lloyd. Your opponent will not switch. Please describe how you think the stage striking process would go using the Anther's Ladder stage list.
Stages: show
Starters:
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Smashville
  • Pokémon Stadium 3
  • Yoshi's Story
  • Dream Land 64
  • Tower of Salvation

Counterpicks:
  • Castle Siege
  • Jungle Hijinx
  • Mirror Chamber
  • Sky Sanctuary Zone
  • Dracula's Castle

2. Analyze the Yoshi versus Lloyd matchup in detail, including the neutral game, punish game, offstage game, and anything else important. Afterwards, rank the matchup in a ratio such as 55-45 if Yoshi has a slight advantage or 20-80 if Lloyd crushes Yoshi.

Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:20 pm

1. You're playing as Yoshi in a tournament against Lloyd. Your opponent will not switch. Please describe how you think the stage striking process would go using the Anther's Ladder stage list.

Starters:
Battlefield| Struck by Lloyd for the first game.
Final Destination| Struck by Yoshi for the first game.
Smashville| Struck by Yoshi for the first game. Game 3’s Stage
Pokémon Stadium 3| Game 1’s stage.
Yoshi's Story| Struck by Lloyd for the first game. Game 2’s Stage
Dream Land 64| Struck by Lloyd for the first and second games.
Tower of Salvation| Struck by Yoshi for the first game.

Counterpicks:
Castle Siege| Banned by Yoshi for the 3rd game.
Jungle Hijinx| Banned by Yoshi for the 3rd game.
Mirror Chamber| Banned by Lloyd for the 2nd game.
Sky Sanctuary Zone| Banned by Lloyd for the 2nd game.
Dracula's Castle| Banned by Yoshi for the 3rd game.

2. Analyze the Yoshi versus Lloyd matchup in detail, including the neutral game, punish game, offstage game, and anything else important. Afterwards, rank the matchup in a ratio such as 55-45 if Yoshi has a slight advantage or 80-20 if Lloyd crushes Yoshi.

Response 1.
Say Lloyd goes first, I believe he would ban Dreamland, because Lloyd can’t reach the platforms with u-tilt, which is mainly why it is his worst stage. The rest of the stages are good for both Yoshi and Lloyd. But, because Lloyd favors flatter stages, Yoshi, or I, would ban ToS and Final Destination/3DS.
Now, Lloyd has Battlefield, Smashville, Pokémon Stadium 3, and Yoshi’s Story. Lloyd would ban the last two platform stages, leaving Smashville and Stadium III. Yoshi would go for Stadium III as it’s a better stage for Yoshi than one for Lloyd.

Lloyd would want flatter stages, because, without them, he can both rush down and camp anyone with his Demon Fangs to extend/zone opponents out, and Grave Blade to force a jump, and on flat stages, with fewer platforms, they’re committed to the jump. Where Lloyd can go in and punish. When he punishes, he mainly wants to keep people up in the air. While platforms can help him continue them, it’s easier for others to get out of his uair strings. Platform stages also give characters another way to recover against Lloyd. If he sits at the ledge and tries to f-smash, it will always miss if the recovering opponent goes high and onto the platforms, and because f-smash is his second most laggy move, second to dair. Sonic thrust, his 3rd most laggy move, will also miss. Leaving you with many frames to punish either one of them after platform dropping.

Yoshi, I believe, is good on every stage because on every stage with platforms, he can use his DJC, neutral-b, side-b and up-b techs on platforms for movements and on flatter stages, he has a ton of combos, like tech-chasing with fair, f-tilt, etc. He can control the pace of the match with his combos and his advanced techniques, which can confuse and mixup opponents. On flat stages, he can combo everywhere with any move at any time. Fair > F-tilt > DJ Uair into Fastfall Uair, Fair > D-tilt for edgeguarding setups, Fair > U-Smash for kills and Fair > jab reset > D-Smash. Or even the patented GranolaBar combo. Neutral-B > Dair > Down-B and any extensions of it, my favorite being Fair > F-Tilt > F-Throw > D-Throw > Neutral-B > Dair > Down-B, dealing a whole 79%, possibly more depending on how much of hits Dair connects.

Now, If Lloyd wins the first match, he’d ban Mirror Chamber, Dreamland and Sky Sanctuary Zone. Mirror Chamber due to the small size and all the platforms, which, even though they’re lower, still won't be hit by F-Smash. It is, however, easier to edgeguard recoveries because the platforms are in the middle, and the high platforms are on the outside. Lloyd would also ban Dreamland for the previous reasons. His lagless attacks, like, sh nair, u-tilt, etc, can’t reach, but his laggier attacks like u-smash can. And Sky Sanctuary Zone. His f-smash still can’t reach the platform, so, neither can Sonic Thrust. He’s forced to fair edgeguard on DL and SSZ. Another thing to note, is that while SSZ is big, it’s mainly filled up by the two platforms and the awkwardly placed ledges, which are higher than the rest of the stage. These hinder Lloyd notably.

Yoshi would have to pick either Battlefield or Yoshi’s Story, as those are the only platform heavy stages left. Yoshi does better on Yoshi’s Story than Battlefield because of the slightly smaller size allowing him to control space easier with his DJC aerial approaches and f-tilt. He also, even though this goes in the pattern of when the seconds column is at a 5, Randall will come from outside of one of the sides and stays for 5 seconds, and will be on the left if the number in the tens number in the seconds column is an even number, odd if its on the right (found by StarKiller I believe), Can stall with up-b’s until the timing for Randall is right, if he watches the time correctly, and is on the right side at that same time.

In a best of 3, if Yoshi wins g2, he’d ban Castle Siege, Jungle Hijinx and Dracula’s Castle, the three stages that, yet, and outside of PS3, have yet to be banned. Castle Siege and Jungle Hijinx for the same reason; the slope hinders Yoshi’s ability to chase, considering his already slow speed, and his lack of space to combo across. And because the platform is so low, it adds on to the fact that it’s harder to techchase with fair, also hindered by the slopes. As for Dracula’s Castle, it isn’t as bad as the previous two, but, the platforms having (from what I’ve played) RNG movement, and the stage being tied with Sky Sanctuary Zone for the biggest stage, tying in at 9 Donkey Kongs(Also found by StarKiller.)

Lloyd’s options from here are to go to Smashville, Tower of Salvation or Final Destination/3DS. ToS gives Yoshi an extra recovery option, which, along with his ability to go high and to sweetspot ledge with eggs, and Final Destination/3DS gives Yoshi a ton of space to fair chain. This leaves Smashville. Note that Lloyd would have gone back to PS3 here, but DSR disallows him too. He would go to PS3 because, not only did he win G1 on PS3, and even though it’s a better stage for Yoshi, Lloyd has more overall stage options than Yoshi. Lloyd would take Yoshi to Smashville, which has a platform that favors both .The platform starts on the left side and it takes the platform 10 whole seconds before it reaches to the right side. The Smashville platform begins moving before the game begins so it normally looks like it would take 7 seconds if you watch the platform from the beginning of the game. Counting the time and the 10-second intervals can help both with their recoveries.

Response 2.

The Yoshi vs Lloyd matchup is harder for Yoshi, due to Lloyd’s disjointed attacks. Yoshi has to play safe and careful with his shield and its OoS options, to beat out Lloyds incredible zoning with Grave Blade or Demon Fang and spacing with fair. Yoshi will want to try and get in on Lloyd by maneuvering past his fair and uair with a DJC or by managing to land a grab on Lloyd. While Yoshi's throws aren't too great, I do believe he is able to take advantage of throwing Lloyd offstage and taking center stage, allowing for better control of the matches pace. Yoshi can usually punish Lloyd if he misses due to a poorly spaced fair, and punish Lloyd with a grab or a DJC nair to start a combo. Once Lloyd is off stage, however, Yoshi can gimp Lloyd with a properly executed nair or fair edgeguard. Yoshi will want to focus on the ledge of the stage, because of Lloyds poor vertical recovery, making the ledge the only real option for Lloyd in most cases. Defensively, Yoshi can take advantage of his up special to try and get a hit on Lloyd, starting a combo, Other than that, Lloyd has much better defensive options than Yoshi, due to his disjoints on his moves such as fair. As for edgeguarding, Lloyd definitely has the advantage, as Yoshi doesn’t really have many options to get past Lloyd’s fair, uair, and f-smash. This also allows Lloyd to space aerials and f-smash in the neutral game, allowing him to start combos into quick edge guard kills, along with devastating punishes off of attacks such as fair and uair. My ending ratio would be 40:60 in Lloyd’s favor.

Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:44 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
1. You're running Yoshi yet again in a tournament (perhaps after beating the Lloyd), and you come up against a Naruto. Just generally, what stages favor you and what stages favor the Naruto?
2. Analyze the matchup in similar detail to last time. Conclude with a ratio. You know the drill.
3. Where do you think Naruto should be on the tier list? Defend your placement. You don't need a specific place, but you should conclude with one of S, A+, A, A-, B+, B, B-, C, D, F, or similar. If necessary, defend specifically how Naruto stacks up compared to other top-tier characters. If he's second, why is he worse than Yoshi and better than MK? If he's A-, why doesn't he best the other top-tiers?

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:33 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: KarmaPilcrow
Currently Playing: the waiting game
Waifu: Furry trash.
We thank you for your interest in the backroom. However, we're sorry to inform you that your application has been denied at this time. Please feel free to try again after the release of SSF2 Beta.

Sat May 07, 2016 8:38 am
 [ 5 posts ]