The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 7:23 am

[ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Tier List 
BR Member

MGN Username: Zapperrix
Just decided that I would post my personal tier list and explanations for each character.
Top tier

S
1. Meta Knight
2. Lloyd
3. Pikachu

Explanations: show
-Meta Knight: Excellent mobility and quick moves allow him to have some of the best rushdown in the game. His five jumps and aerials allow him to edgeguard effectively against the entire cast. Despite having a very strong aerial game, his ground game isn't bad at all; with moves such as DA, F-tilt, and D-tilt. The only thing that's noticeably bad about him is his weight, which is pretty moot. MK is very versatile with his offense and that is what makes him such a strong threat, his defensive potential is also with N-air camping and dash dance baits being options among others. MK doesn't lost to anyone, and at worst goes even with them.

Lloyd:His mobility and approach options allow him to close the gap against everyone in the cast. His projectile and other spacing options make it hard for some characters to get in on him, and that can allow him to play defensively and wall opponents out pretty well (Up B OoS is also a great option). His ability to convert combos off many moves is also a threat (a simple dash attack can lead in 30-50%+ combos). Lloyd may be weak when it comes to recovery, but it's not super unsafe so it's not terrible. Only reason I placed MK above Lloyd is because of MK's offstage and onstage presence (Lloyd is a monster onstage, but offstage, his options are more linear). Imo, both MK and Lloyd are interchangeable for the #1 spot; you can make convincing arguments for both.

Pikachu: Just like the two above him, he's very versatile and quick. With great edgeguarding options, a good recovery, and a slew of kill options; Pikachu is a powerful character that can end matches quickly if you make too many mistakes. He's sort of like Mario, in the sense that he has everything; but unlike Mario, he excels in a lot of areas. He's one of the fastest characters, and with his aerials and projectile, he can get in reliably, get you offstage, and take a stock. On the defensive end of things, his projectile and mobility can bait approaches (and it's more effective than it sounds due to him having a good dash dance). Also, D-air and U-air are some of the best aerials in the game (U-air is a juggle/semi-spike, and D-air is very powerful). He's very solid and doesn't have many weaknesses outside of range.

A+
4. Naruto
5. Marth
6. Fox
7. Zero Suit Samus

A
8. Tails
9. Black Mage
10. Link
11. Zelda

Mid Tier

A-
12. Captain Falcon
13. Yoshi
14. Goku

B+
15. Sheik
16. Bomberman
17. Donkey Kong
18. Ness

B
19. Mario
20. Ichigo
21. Peach
22. Sora
23. Wario

Low tier

B-
24. Samus
25. Jigglypuff
26. Mega Man
27. Sonic
28. Chibi Robo
29. Kirby

Any thoughts?

ZERO_OR wrote:
Also their is no such things as GODS.

Last edited by Zapperrix on Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:19 am
BR Member

MGN Username: joey
Currently Playing: joey
Waifu: joey
What makes Kirby Bottom #1 in your opinion?

Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:21 am
BR Member

His neutral game is pretty unsafe against a lot of characters. His lack of speed on both the ground and air along with subpar range makes it hard to approach. Even if you tried to use a more passive play style, characters that out range him can still get in; for a character of his weight class, this is not good considering the fact that he dies earlier than most characters. His main issue is that he has a risky neutral game, but other characters can run a relatively safe one. This might seem like a nitpick, but for a character with 5 jumps, his horizontal recovery isn't good and he has no options to extend it (the vertical recovery isn't amazing either); that makes him easier to edgeguard than both Puff and MK. Kirby has to take more risk to run offense than other characters and his defense has some holes (He only has B-air and Up B OoS is risky; while Puff can use B-air, F-air and N-air in her camp game; just for a comparison). He can edgeguard if he manages to get you off stage pretty well so he has that.

His main flaw is that he has to play a risky neutral against most of the cast. He doesn't lose every matchup, but he doesn't win many (if any at all). Tbf most MUs he lose are 55-45 or 60-40, so he is certainly viable.

ZERO_OR wrote:

Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:45 am

MGN Username: Lunary
Currently Playing: Super Smash Bros. Melee , League Of Legends , Drinking
A BR member says my mains are #1. inb4 people think I'm a tier wh*re.
What makes you think Marth is A+ tier and BBM A-?

Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:18 am

MGN Username: Ganondoof
Currently Playing: Vanguard Princess, Upkmnfg, YGOPRO
I really like this tier list. Each character seems like they're in the correct spots, and nothing out of the ordinary stands out.

Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:35 am

MGN Username: Lunary
Currently Playing: Super Smash Bros. Melee , League Of Legends , Drinking
Do you agree with Wario being Low-Mid Tier?

Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:45 am

MGN Username: qqwxiron,IronH
I really like this, it's probably the only one I've seen a tierlist where I have to go over it twice or more to look for something I'll like to change. Still the only thing I would do is making DK= A-, BBM= B, and MM= B. Everything else looks very accurate to me. For now...

♪ But first let me play another #friendly!

Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:17 am
BR Member

MGN Username: CSWooly
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, SSF2, SSB4, League of Legends.
What caused you to place Ichigo so low? I thought that you were in favour of him in high tier

Click to expand thumbnail

SSF2 Backroom Character Analyst and Labber

Mains: :lucario: :simon:

Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:43 am
BR Member

@Lunary:

The A+ characters are almost at the top of the cast, but have one or more exploitable flaws that keep them down (the ones above them

I feel that Marth's main issue is predictability. His issues are that he's not versatile when it comes to his options. Sure F-air and N-air are good approach options, but they are his only options for approaching in the air (RAR B-air can work, but it's too risky) and they aren't safe if spaced poorly. On the ground, his options are dash cancel D-tilt or grab (dash attack is too risky). Due to this, characters with a good dash dance can bait him out easily. Marth also has the issue of having trouble comboing into kill moves if your percent is too high (sort of like Falcon, but not as much), so he has rely on reads for kills at that points. His recovery is pretty average, so he's not too difficult to edgeguard). Marth doesn't really have too many problems (his flaws are all workable); but if your predictable and fall for bait, then you won't be getting wins.

The A tier characters are just really good, but the weakest of the top tier.

Black Mage has many things going for him, but his worst issues are no ground approaches (which is workable), his light weight, poor ground speed, and his horizontal kill options outside of B-air (which doesn't have the best range) either won't kill till higher percents or they are aren't 100% reliable (F-throw and B-throw, but his grab range sucks). So his horizontal kills rely on edgeguards; however, while he has some of the best edgeguard options in the game if a character can get past them, they can live for a long time and his weight and fall speed won't make him live that long. His recovery might have range because of his Up B, but that move is not difficult to intercept because you can see where he's going. As you can guess from reading, Black Mage struggles under pressure. He has defensive options, but he's does best from mid to close range, but if you get in on him, you can punish him really well. If you can out camp him, it also forces him to make mistakes and take more risk. He's gimmicky, so you have to make the most of your gimmicks or you won't win.

@DarkSwiftN: I stated that he was better than bottom 5. I was going to place him higher than Mario, but then I decided that he was higher, because I felt that they are more consistent. Besides, being #20 in this game isn't too low, he's a solid mid tier (just at the lower end of it). The main reason for him being not being higher are bad matchups against every character in top tier and in other places. Non of his bad MUs are too terrible, I don't feel that any are worse than 60-40.

ZERO_OR wrote:

Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:57 am
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
The thing that stood out most in this list (which is very good) is the placement of Black Mage. What weaknesses hold him back from the top tier?

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:59 am
BR Member

MGN Username: CSWooly
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, SSF2, SSB4, League of Legends.
Also, will this look similar to the actual BR Tier List?

I never said Ichi was bottom 5, I just said that he wasn't A+ Tier. (I know the thread you're talking about)

Click to expand thumbnail

SSF2 Backroom Character Analyst and Labber

Mains: :lucario: :simon:

Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:03 am
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
The gist is similar, and the top tiers are essentially rearranged from these high tiers, but it isn't the exact one.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:21 am
BR Member

MGN Username: Jammy
DK and Sheik criminally underrated imo, but bearing in mind that tiers are far closer than other games this is the best tier list I've seen thus far. I also think falcon should be lower as he has bad matchups against almost every character above him, and several below him - this may be character bias however.

Youtube         Twitch

<insert giant anime gif here>

Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:53 am
BR Member

MGN Username: Sorabotics
Currently Playing: SSBM and SSF2
I'm not trying to be biased, but why is Peach lower than Ness?

Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:00 pm
BR Member

Jammy wrote:
DK and Sheik criminally underrated imo, but bearing in mind that tiers are far closer than other games this is the best tier list I've seen thus far. I also think falcon should be lower as he has bad matchups against almost every character above him, and several below him - this may be character bias however.

Sheik and DK were originally higher, but I felt that there were other characters better than them (there were never higher than A-, bur never lower than B+, so it's fine). Falcon was originally 14-16, but I feel that online was clouding my judgement, so I played some offline and my opinion of him is higher. I feel that Falcon can be ranked between 12-16; At his true potential, he can be #12; at his worst, he's #16.

tW|Sorabotics wrote:
I'm not trying to be biased, but why is Peach lower than Ness?

I feel that Ness is underrated by people in general. F-air and N-air are really good so are his other options. On the other hand, Peach still has some issues from last demo, but her bad match ups are better so she's much higher as a result. F-air being better also helps.

Overall, I just feel that the characters above her are more well rounded.

ZERO_OR wrote:

Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:37 pm
 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next