The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 5:29 pm

[ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Sonic Poke's sprite work and artwork... Mainly pokemon.. 

Deciton_Reven wrote:
Your grass starter's whole line is definitely really good, as is the second stage of your water stater (enough so to justify the first stage even), but water's stage 3 looks really dumb. It seems like a digimon because of it's overly humanoid shape, random addition of wings, and the fact it's bearing weapons (as apposed to the weapons just being part of the body). It also looks nothing like stage 1 & 2, except it is a shade of blue (which isn't actually the dominate color in the first two, so much as yellow is).

Your coral snake is just a coral snake, nothing about it says fire, no spikes of flames or even zigzags. I could see it easily being a poison-dark with those colors. Finishing the bone design might work for decoration, or going a bit Quetzalcoatl with it would be nice. It also isn't cruel or wicked looking, it's really just a snake. Plain is a word for it.

Mostly this.

While I do like the idea of the Grass starter being based on war, we have already have a turtle with a back mounted cannon. It also kind reminds me of Torterra.

Water starter is too human, and the harpoons should be synthetic, or make them more like a fish. I'm positive there is at least one fish or ocean creature that has a built in harpoon like thing. Maybe a stinger or something. Also, the progression from 'ball of floaties' to 'mosquito man' doesn't really make sense.

For Fire, if you intend on keeping it as a snake, look at some more interesting things than just a snake. Like Reven said, Quetzalcoatl (Meaning feathered serpent, which would be nice for a winged/feather crowned snake with Aztec themes), and I have a personal preference for Seraphs (burning ones, Six winged snakes that continually burn. This could lead to it slowly getting wings as it evolves. Also to note is that they are known for Purifying things by using coal, which could be turned into the signature move.)

Also something to note, each of the Types have a theme you might want to consider.
Grass are all based around dinosaurs and their evolution into modern mammals.
Water are all aquatic animals.
Fire are all based on the Zodiac.

Commission info - http://reiforce.deviantart.com/journal/

Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:03 pm

Reix wrote:
Grass are all based around dinosaurs and their evolution into modern mammals. Ah, no they're not? Chespin is a chipmunk. Or if you mean like Ancient Lizard>Brontosaurus>Gecko>Turtle>Snake>Chipmunk kind of evolution, that's not how things evolved.
Water are all aquatic animals. Well, that's true, but what else would they be, anyways. (Creativity is good)
Fire are all based on the Zodiac. Assuming you mean the Chinese Zodiac, no, Fennikin is a fox, and snake is part of the Zodiac.

No offense meant. Your facts were just off.

The water starter's final form could be more submarine based, changing the floatation sacs into depth mines-esque shoulder pads or something. Or giving it a chain-and-anchor-esque tail it could use like a flail. As a couple possible suggestions.

With a smile I'm flowin'
And if I be trollin'
Ya never be knowin'
'Cause when the haters get goin'
My eyes just start a-rollin'

Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:39 pm

Deciton_Reven wrote:
Reix wrote:
Grass are all based around dinosaurs and their evolution into modern mammals. Ah, no they're not? Chespin is a chipmunk. Or if you mean like Ancient Lizard>Brontosaurus>Gecko>Turtle>Snake>Chipmunk kind of evolution, that's not how things evolved.
Water are all aquatic animals. Well, that's true, but what else would they be, anyways. (Creativity is good)
Fire are all based on the Zodiac. Assuming you mean the Chinese Zodiac, no, Fennikin is a fox, and snake is part of the Zodiac.

No offense meant. Your facts were just off.

The water starter's final form could be more submarine based, changing the floatation sacs into depth mines-esque shoulder pads or something. Or giving it a chain-and-anchor-esque tail it could use like a flail. As a couple possible suggestions.

"All known Grass-type starters are based on pre-historic creatures and evolution. Venusaur has legs that lift it off the ground (a characteristic of dinosaurs), Meganium is based off an Apatosaurus, Sceptile is based on a Dilophosaurus, the Snivy-Serperior evolution represents the loss of hind legs (the transition from dinosaurs to snakes), and Chespin is based off the first mammal, the Megazostrodon." - http://pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/Starter_Pok%C3%A9mon

I thought Chespin was like a squirrel or something, but the Pokemon Wiki taught me otherwise.

Seeing as there is a noticeable difference between animals and the current Water guy, I thought it was worth mentioning.

http://www.vgfacts.com/attachments/full/1/132.png Foxes are scientifically part of the Canis family, which could be considered dogs. Admittedly it's a bit of a stretch, but... Still doesn't change the fact that Snakes haven't been covered.

Sorry, I get pretty defensive with this kind of thing.

Regardless, a submarine/depth mine reflects undersea expansion more than harpoons and mosquitoes.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:56 pm

These look awesome! The outlines for the most part don't look so great though.

Mega Blastoise is super small compared to the other two. One of the cannons are bigger than the other, and his tail seems too straight.

Mega Charizard Y is extremely stretched out height-wise and very skinny.

Venasaur looks bad a**! As does Diglett.

Jan. City looks amazing!!

I'll post more critique on everything else later.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:14 am

The larval stage of mosquitos are aquatic beings. But, I don't mind.
Polacanthus are pre-historic beings.
Snake is the less used Zodiac animal for fire starters in deviant art, so i used it.
And yeah, Delphox is the dog since Typhlosion is the mouse. I believe, no jokes.

I'll change the Water starter. but it will still be a mosquito and will still have harpoons, I believe that the concept is good. The intention was make something more Blaziken like. Any sugestion knowing it?

#009 Mosq'arpón (Mosquito+ Arpón [Spanish for Harpoon])
Whaler Pokémon
Water/ Bug Type
Ability: Torrent/ Fisher*

MOSQ'ARPÓN flies miles on swarm over the ocean searching for an easy prey. There are reports of a single MOSQ'ARPÓN shoot down an WAILORD and carry it to mainland for three consecutive days without rest.

Signature Move: Harpoon Shot- Bug Type, 90 Power, 90 Accuracy, 20 PP, Physical, Makes super effective damage in Water-type pokémon.

*Traps Water-type Pokémon in battle.

The fire Stater is more Poison than Fire I guess. It's a defensive pokémon and the fire is in its poison:

#006 Fot'oxyd (Fotia+ Oxy+ Fidi [Greek for Fire, Acid and Snake])
Coral Snake Pokémon
Fire/ Poison Type
Ability: Blaze/ Subversive*

FOT'OXYD is the most poisonous pokémon in the world. One single drop of its toxin is able to boil the entire blood of even heavy victims. The pattern of its strips reveals how intense is its poison.

Signature Move: Toxic Burn- Poison Type, -- Power, 85 Accuracy, 20 PP, Other, Poison and burn the target at same time. This kind of status ailment decreases Attack and Sp. Attack while cause damage.

*Lowers the foe's Special Attack stat by one stage upon entering in battle

*o* I love Polathankus XD S2 ^^

#003 Polathankus (Polacanthus+ Tank)
Armored Tank Pokémon
Grass/ Steel Type
Ability: Overgrow/ Iron Barbs

Its back acts like a chainsaw, its tail like a drill. The cannon is able to explode massive walls, turning this pokemon a perfect destruction machine. For this reason, POLATHANKUS was almost extinct in the last great war.

Signature Move: Thorn Drill- Grass Type, 100 Power, 100 Accuracy, 20 PP, no additional effect.

Thanks you all guys! XD

EDIT: Reven, can you show your DA account to I see your fakemon? I'd love to see yours!

Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:38 am

>Implying I have a DA

But I guess I should upload my stuff somewhere. I'll keep you informed.

I don't know about that wiki thing about grass starters, I'm pretty sure that turtles came before dinosaurs and that dinosaurs evolved into birds, not snakes, but whatever.

With a smile I'm flowin'
And if I be trollin'
Ya never be knowin'

Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:27 am

Waifu: zero suit wario
I don't think that a Mosquito is a good Idea for a starter:
1- Water Bug= Resistence to Grass type and loses resistance to fire type.
2- Also Net ball lol.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:29 pm

Dat Missingno wrote:

Do you think Grass-Ground was a terrible choice for Torterra, as well then?

Water-Bug is a great typing. The reason a Mosquito/bug type is a bad choice is: stage one and two don't look like bugs at all. Fighting, sure, Dark, maybe, Grass, well there is seaweed on them, I just don't see bug.

With a smile I'm flowin'
And if I be trollin'
Ya never be knowin'

Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:53 pm

Dat Missingno wrote:

Lol, Water/Steel of empoleon do the same!

@Reven: antennas? :(

Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:42 pm

Sonic Poke wrote:
Dat Missingno wrote:

Lol, Water/Steel of empoleon do the same!

@Reven: antennas? :(

Plenty of water creatures have antenna-esque things. Personally I thought they were some kind of horn, though. Kinda like how I assume the gold trident is a horn on the third stage, there is some logical progression there.

With a smile I'm flowin'
And if I be trollin'
Ya never be knowin'

Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:56 pm

Mosquitoes are water creatures in a way I guess. Eh, close enough. Regardless, the Prevos should look a lot more like mosquitoes, and with more maritime tech advances.

Bulbasaur and evos aren't necessarily turtles. They're dinosaurs that happen to look like turtles. Also, dinos evolved into snakes and birds, among other things.

Fire Starter should evolve into a more exciting form. At the moment, it goes from snake to snake to snake with bone armor. It'd be a good idea to make it more exciting and engaging.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:07 pm

Ok, What do you think abot the legend?

"There was a hero. A brave hero whose name is lost.

There was a beast. A beast with a cold heart of stone: Axewexa, The drought, destroyer of all that exists.

From the far north tribe, the beast in a rage destroyed the region. Dried the valleys, the coast, the sky, the rivers and lakes, drained the life force of every living creature in our home, human and pokémon.

The Trees and Few Pokémon able to block the power of the beast were saved, but they were doomed by lack of water and the brave hero with his team was spared, only to be condemned to endure the loneliness.

The brave hero became angry with the beast. But there was nothing to do through the power of it.

The hero rose to the top of the humped mountain and cried in for help. Their petition were heard.

In a flash, there appeared a glimmer of hope, Nhandovera, the flood, the builder of everything that exists.

In an electric discharge, all the hearts have beaten, and in a typhoon, all the lungs have breathed. In a downpour the water was flowing again.

But nothing is free. Where the hero was stood, now there was only a stone statue which today lies within a cave in that mountain."

Remember, Its only part of the legend, the history will be told from three diferent view points.

Preview: show

Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:30 pm

Right Bulbasaur is a dinosaur, Turtig is a turtle.

Snake > Snake > Snake isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's all in the details and presence. Like notice the difference in this Snake w/ Leafs > Snake w/ Leafs > Snake w/ Leafs. (and forgive the low quality). This is one of my early pokemon designs, simple yet different, and it remains mostly unchanged since I came up with it during RSE. (Not that it's not without problems)

Attachments:
vineperer.png
vineperer.png [ 26.05 KiB | Viewed 2995 times ]

With a smile I'm flowin'
And if I be trollin'
Ya never be knowin'
Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:49 pm

Deciton_Reven wrote:
Right Bulbasaur is a dinosaur, Turtig is a turtle.

Snake > Snake > Snake isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's all in the details and presence. Like notice the difference in this Snake w/ Leafs > Snake w/ Leafs > Snake w/ Leafs. (and forgive the low quality). This is one of my early pokemon designs, simple yet different, and it remains mostly unchanged since I came up with it during RSE. (Not that it's not without problems)

At least it has something, though, even if it is just leaves. The one he has is just the same snake getting bigger. It's a small change versus something just getting a bit bigger.

As for the legend, the Hero isn't mentioned to have joined with the pokemon, and what are the Trees? I do like the idea of a Destroyer/Savior mix, though.
As for the sprites, the left one (Savior?) looks to human compared to the right (Destroyer), who's horns should probably be rounder. I'm definitely a fan of the Ram design.
And by chance, could you share what you based them on? You mentioned a pantheon, but the specific gods?

Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:06 pm

Axewexa: show

#101 Axewexa (Palindrome of Axe+ Ewe)
Punishment Pokémon
Ghost Type
Ability: Sprig Stone*

It is said that AXEWEXA is the protector of the mountains. The ones that invades its territory are devoured, and the only way of escape its attack is climbing a tree. If AXEWEXA hold a grudge, the revenge is always cruel.

Signature Move: Ancient Doom- Rock Type, 100 Power, 100 Accuracy, 20 PP, 30% of chance of Petrify the target, it does not apply to Grass-types .

STATS
Life Points 150
Attack 100
Defense 90
Sp. Attack 130
Sp. Defense 100
Speed 110
Total 680

*Adds a secondary type of Rock or Water. The secondary type changes endlessly in battle in order to make it receive less damage as possible. So, its type chart is:
Super Effective: Grass, Dark, Ghost
Not Very Effective: Steel, Water, Ice, Fire, Flying, Poison, Bug
Imune: Normal, Fighting

Axewexa is based on the Ao Ao and in the Luison. Ao Ao is the god of the mountains, in the guarani pantheon. It said to be a Ram like monster with great fangs that eats everything, but its power is useless againt trees. Luison is said to be the the god of the death, its a monkey/dog hybrid like creature. I drew Axewexa as a Wolf/Ram hybrid, with a skull like elm and two tails, one is made of bones, dimilar to a dental arcade. The second is made of rocks that floats around it.

Nhandovera is based on Tupã, the main god of this mythology, created everything and protects pure hearts. Its also based in the thunder bird, a north american myth about a bird that only apears in storms. I also used some pterosaur characteristics.

The two was also drew to show imponent human shaped lights, Nhandovera is a man, Axewexa is a Skull, and the third is a woman. it makes it more god like to the ones the watchs it from a far place.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:50 pm
 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next