The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 9:07 pm

[ 606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 41  Next
Album a day in February -- with MG! 
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Sekiro, Persona 4
Waifu: That’s right. PS4.
Term wrote:
Arel wrote:
@Term: Late Registration is cool. Not as good as MBDTF, Yeezus, or Graduation, but still really cool.
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy > Yeezus > Late Registration > The College Dropout > Nickelback's All The Right Reasons > 808's & Heartbreak
Haven't heard Graduation or Watch the Throne yet

Fight me and my hot opinions

i've never understood why people would like yeezus but not 808s. 808s and yeezus are like sister albums and they're both pretty cool.

also wtf man graduation is his best album get on that s*** sometime

Blue wrote:
lol Cry more, Terminex. f*** f**. lolololololol What a b****.

Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:43 pm

MGN Username: Nixter
Currently Playing: Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Arel wrote:
The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground

Rating:10/10[/box]

@Nix: Sorry you didn't enjoy you're album, buddy :( Hopefully the next one is better to you!

Thanks man, glad you liked The Velvet Underground though!

Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:45 pm
Site Moderator

Waifu: Trollbean
Today:
Amor Vincit Omnia by Pure Reason Revolution
Preview: AVO

This band's debut album, The Dark Third, gets thrown around a lot in progressive rock discussion. It deserves its praise: It's a great album with stellar production, vocal harmonies & layers, catchy as f*** and a great atmosphere. I don't need to sing its praises though, two other people have that album on their calendars already.

Amor Vincit Omnia is the followup to The Dark Third. They still sound definitively Pure Reason Revolution, with all the above things I really loved about The Dark Third immediately obvious on this record. That said, it's shaken up by having a lot of electronic elements this time around, something that wasn't on The Dark Third at all if I remember correctly. Some tracks are lead entirely by the electronic parts & vocals. It gives the album a distinct identity from Dark Third.

There are a few standout tracks, but overall I'd say it's not generally as high quality as Dark Third. I enjoyed it and I'll definitely spin it a few more times, and it's a nice addition to the band's catalog, but honestly, if you haven't heard The Dark Third, just listen to that f***. It's a really nice album through and through. If you have, Amor Vincit Omnia is a nice supplement, but many of the tracks don't stand out to me as much as those on The Dark Third.

Rating: Good!

Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:14 pm

wow, I love electronic bits in generally non-electronic music, it'll be cool comparing the two when i listen to the first one then checking out the second one :D

Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:38 pm

Shad - Flying Colours
Preview: Remember To Remember
So Shad is a bit interesting, he released an album called When This Is Over, which was an album I enjoyed a lot, The Old Prince had a few good tracks, and TSOL was pretty meh to me, so this rapper is in a very stark contrast to Freddie Gibbs, if Gibbs is Thugnificent then Shad is Mr. Dubois, Shad provides much more social and political messages in a positive light, Shad is also very, very dependant on wordplay, he uses that alot. Ok! Now onto the actual record, well, the production is varied, the features are pretty good (Lights is on there!) and Shad is still with the wordplay and positive messages, and yet, I don't care much for this record, it's too soft, with When This Is Over it's a much more reserved album, Flying Colours tries to be something more energetic and tries to throw in c*** for some reason, and it just doesn't do anything for me, it's kind of like superkid rapping, can't get behind this record, but I can appreciate the wordplay and production, sadly this record isn't worth keeping in my library.

I rate 4/10 sorry Shad :/

Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:39 pm

5th album!; Eptic - The End

Another electronic album by my boy Eptic who released this 9 days ago. includes 6 songs with a variety of dance music and his typical dubstep stuff

Okay so I think that most of you guys think that dubstep is some kind of joke genre,
but just wanna point out that it really requires a lot of skill and knowledge to make something actually decent, anyway

EPTIC - SHE
I love this track so much, a slow groover with mellow synths, it's really catchy and future sounding, and it's in a completely different style then the rest of the songs in his album

EPTIC - DIMENSION 7
A song with Eptic's own typical filthy synth dubstep, this style is recognizable in a lot of his songs, and I dig the build up on this one as well
and it uses some interesting melodic ideas to give it plenty of flavour and kick

EPTIC - LEVEL MIDNIGHT
YES BOUNCE b****, such a great song, I'm not able to not headbang to this s***

Rating: 7/10, Its neat

Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:53 pm

MGN Username: blossom
so busy

Death Cube K - Dreamatorium

This is the first album by Buckethead using this name. I haven't listened to this album in like 4 years and don't remember much so I'm pretty excited to see how I like it now.

The album is really pretty ambient with a dark atmosphere. Honestly it's just something amazing to space out to, which I did for most of the duration. It really sucked me in, I just sat there sipping my coffee til the album was over. The songs are all interesting, but they are long and a fair amount of the time it's just atmosphere. I don't see that as a problem but I'd understand people getting bored at certain parts. There's a lot of experimental sounds everywhere and they sound really cool. Some of these tracks I could really relax hard to. "Terror By Night" is really different from the rest of the album. It doesn't feel atmospheric, it's a lot more experimental noise. & while I like the track, it feels kind of weird next to the other 4 tracks. At the end of the album I was left wanting more, so I think it was a pretty great album for me!

Not sure how many people I could recommend this to but I personally loved it and am planning to get the other Death Cube K albums some time in the future. 8.5/10
Maggot Dream is my fav track.

Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:03 pm

Auraka wrote:
5th album!; Eptic - The End

Eptic has some cool songs, didn't really feel those tracks though, glad you like it!
blossom wrote:
so busy

Death Cube K - Dreamatorium

This is the first album by Buckethead using this name. I haven't listened to this album in like 4 years and don't remember much so I'm pretty excited to see how I like it now.

The album is really pretty ambient with a dark atmosphere. Honestly it's just something amazing to space out to, which I did for most of the duration. It really sucked me in, I just sat there sipping my coffee til the album was over. The songs are all interesting, but they are long and a fair amount of the time it's just atmosphere. I don't see that as a problem but I'd understand people getting bored at certain parts. There's a lot of experimental sounds everywhere and they sound really cool. Some of these tracks I could really relax hard to. "Terror By Night" is really different from the rest of the album. It doesn't feel atmospheric, it's a lot more experimental noise. & while I like the track, it feels kind of weird next to the other 4 tracks. At the end of the album I was left wanting more, so I think it was a pretty great album for me!

Not sure how many people I could recommend this to but I personally loved it and am planning to get the other Death Cube K albums some time in the future. 8.5/10
Maggot Dream is my fav track.

Buckethead is like one of my favourite guitarists ever. Lol.
If you want more of experimental buckethead, you can try some of these:
YouTube Video:

YouTube Video:

Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:03 pm

MGN Username: blossom
Nixter wrote:
Buckethead is like one of my favourite guitarists ever. Lol.
If you want more of experimental buckethead, you can try some of these:

uuuu all this new music is killing me
great recommendations!! thanks bud

Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:38 pm

woo, you're welcome! they're more like needles in a haystack when it comes to certain buckethead albums

120 albums and a bunch of extras/being in bands is pretty damn prolific, keeping them all relatively different is even more so the point

Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:51 pm
Site Moderator

MGN Username: Arel
Currently Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Waifu: Jesus of Nazareth
Are You Experienced: show
The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced

Not much can be said about Jimi Hendrix that hasn't been said already. Greatest musician in rock history, one of the greatest guitar players to ever live, etc. But let's look at the actual content of the album at hand shall we.

I'll be quite frank, I didn't enjoy this album much at all. Sure there was some awesome guitar playing going on, but all the songs felt like they were lacking so much substance. I found myself getting annoyed with how repetitive this album was on multiple occasions. Where does one song end? Where does the next begin? Are the song structures ever going to change? Nope. There was some amount of variation whenever they would bring in some reverb or reverse loops, but it all felt like... well a dude playing a guitar for a really long time. Which Jimi does very well don't get me wrong! It just gets quite boring after a while.

Maybe I'm missing something? Am I not getting it?!?! Maybe it's one of those albums where you're not too fond at first, but grows on you with multiple listens. Which I'll try to do in the future, maybe after I listen to Electric Ladyland.

Rating: 4/10

Bring it nerds.

Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:10 pm

yeah Hendrix never really interested me either...

Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:22 pm
Site Moderator

Currently Playing: FFXIV
Waifu: you get ONE guess
Arel wrote:
Bring it nerds.

i think the only people who would "bring it" would be dads, not nerds.
you're totally correct. hendrix isnt very interesting

i have the next 3 days off so my albums will come at a more normal time by the way

Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:14 pm
Site Moderator

MGN Username: Arel
Currently Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Waifu: Jesus of Nazareth
My dad is gonna ground me if he finds out about my review.

Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:29 pm
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Sekiro, Persona 4
Waifu: That’s right. PS4.
pchooooo i have a migraine

Tim Hecker - Radio Amor

Today was a pretty good day for this album. Dark, gloomy, and rainy. Tim Hecker is generally a pretty outstanding musician from what I've heard of his discography thus far, and this album didn't really disappoint me. I'm going to go ahead and say right now that I much prefer his album "Ravedeath, 1972", and I'll cease comparing the two right there. Hecker makes very atmospheric and dense drone music, just soaked in mood and vision. He paints beautiful landscapes with his sounds and it's really easy to get lost in these albums. Radio Amor was a nice. It wasn't really all that heavy or emotional to me, but it wasn't bad at all in the slightest. I enjoyed it pretty thoroughly. It's an album that I'd really like to spend more time with. It's definitely a grower, as all of Hecker's albums are. It's not a terribly intense album but it's one that I'd recommend for any fans of drone/ambient music.

6/10. I liked it and thought it was good! Favorite tracks: Spectral, 7,000 Miles. Trade Winds, White Heat.

Blue wrote:
lol Cry more, Terminex. f*** f**. lolololololol What a b****.

Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:46 pm
 [ 606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 41  Next