The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 2:05 am

Forum rules

DO NOT POST SSF2 OR GAME IDEAS/QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM!

For SSF2 Discussion, please go here: http://forums.mcleodgaming.com/viewforum.php?f=4

[ 10 posts ] 
Stumble-Upon 

I realize that finding something your interested in on this site is difficult, especially if your a new member.

Solution:
A new feature that could be placed beside the "veiw new posts" on the main forum page, that when upon clicking it randomly chooses a topic. This wouldn't neccisarily guide new people to what they are interested in but it could open peoples eyes to what this forum holds, other than SSF2. I recall seeing something about random topics at one point but I can't find it, possibly having a box at the top of the forums looking like this...
Random Topic: Cooking for dummies!
This could act as a tour in a sense... Everytime the page is refreshed or resubmitted a new topic pops up.

Mon May 02, 2011 2:39 am

MGN Username: Tid
Currently Playing: Deep™ The™ Game™
Think about the fact that the current topic to dead/locked topic is like, 1:100
You'd need to modify the random algorithm to only select from certain topics that have been posted in recently or something, and even if you did that, you'd keep getting SSF2 topics because they're ALWAYS active.

Mon May 02, 2011 3:03 am

I don't think any major algorithim would be needed... You do have a good poiint though. Possibley limiting it to active topics or even just have a fixed rotation, if people want their topics in the rotation it could be easily done I assume.

Rotation: sprite help, flash tutorials, forum games(active), sig shop(by request), art tutorial, etcetera

Mon May 02, 2011 5:59 am

MGN Username: Tid
Currently Playing: Deep™ The™ Game™
That's too specific, and this idea would only work if it was random. It just needs to be limited random.

Mon May 02, 2011 6:03 am

I agree with you but i'm just trying to fish for ideas, possibly compiling a list then making a random generator to choose from that list? That way its easy to cover all the areas and the random factors still involved, not to mention how easy a number generator is.

Mon May 02, 2011 6:09 am

I never use things like that
Wiki has one
dA has one
JayIsGames has one

Nup, never use it

Children - Geno

Mon May 02, 2011 7:09 am

Currently Playing: Mandolin
Take RP out of hiding.

It could intrigue people who are looking at the site and may give us at least 1 new person to try it out.

The King of RP assures it will do no harm.

Mon May 02, 2011 8:58 pm
Site Admin

I agree with Whim, RP is the primary reason I joined the forums in the first place, I'm sure there are others who would just like to read the topic for the sake of reading even if they don't want to join.

Anyways continuing with the other topic at hand, I personally feel that if it's easy to do it may as well be done, if not, no need to go out of your way to implement.

Mon May 02, 2011 9:38 pm

Whimzer captured the sense of this idea but its more in an all around kind of way. Yes Kiki I also took that into consideration before posting becuase I understand Cleod can get very busy. CCS you may not use it but it opens up the site to new members - and even vets. Not sure about anyone else but if I need something to do quickly before I go to bed i'd love to go to this site and just click on a random generated post, especially when fishing for posts eats up that time - oh ya and when I need quick entertainment I always resorrt to previosu topics like forum games, so this could help.

Mon May 02, 2011 9:44 pm
Site Admin

The problem is not only that we have locked/dead topics, but many of them are also in sections some users don't have access too. So to count up all topics that a user has access too and then jumping to a random section would require a lot of work. The database really isn't designed for that unfortunately. I'll have to lock this.

:lock:

Mon May 02, 2011 9:58 pm
 [ 10 posts ]