The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 5:00 am

[ 6 posts ] 
Huey's Backroom app 

MGN Username: Huey
Currently Playing: Smash 4. Waiting for Beta. They better code in Bidou...
Code:
Name (aka Handle):
Huey/Hxey/HueyP however I'm feelin that day
How old are you?:
19 of course.
Which characters do you play in SSF2? Why do you play these characters? (Note: do not list characters that are not currently in the game):
I main Bomberman. I believe this is the one of the most technical and skill based characters in the game. His movement, when played correctly, revolves entirely around his initial dash speed. This requires constant dash cancel boosting, or controlled tapping of the dash button to exploit the leap he gets from his first dash frame. On top of that you have to constantly be thinking about bombs. Where to place bombs, what size bombs, when to kick bombs, and most importantly; when to pop bombs. Do I throw bomb up down left or right? And how will I followup if it hits? So many options. Such little time to choose. He is just one of a kind. I love his style and since I picked him up I can't go back.

How much experience do you have with official Smash titles? (SSB64, Melee, Brawl. Include in this answer which characters you play/played.):
I honestly don't have much competitively. I mean, I've been playing Smash since 64 but I never thought of picking it up competitively until I played this game. Maybe it was my young age at the time of me playing Official smash titles. I was pretty young so playing competitively wasn't on my mind. Nonetheless, if you count playing as a casual, I've been playing for like 10 years plus lol Smash is the only fighter I really like.

Have you ever attended any Smash tournaments? If so, give some details about the tournament (number of participants, which games, etc). How well did you place?
I've attended one melee tournament at a local game store in my city. I actually did fairly well for my age (12 or 13 I guess) and not knowing any tech skill at all. Got knocked into loser's bracket early but fought my way to the round before semifinals. There were 35-40 competitors so it was a lot of waiting. :\ I've also attended a few SSF2 tournys but lag has been a factor in my losing as well as me not having much of a competitive drive. You have to get me salty for me to try most days. I never place too well in those.
When did you start playing SSF2?
0.9a. I googled Sm4sh 4 info (back then info was scarce) and SSF2 was one of the results. Been playing ever since.

What is your favorite stage in SSF2? Explain.
Tower of Salvation for sure. This map is recovery heaven. There's literally no way to get stuck under it, and there are non intrusive platforms off to the side, leaving the battlefield clear for fighting and also adding extra recovery options. The music is also epic.

Who, in your opinion, should be placed first on the SSF2 tier list? Under competitive settings why would this character perform on a higher level than all others?
Meta Knight. His nair is so good and can get him out of many situations. It's can apply pressure or be used to keep opponents away from specific areas. In a sense that move alone gives MK better stage control. On top of that he has great priority and combo ability. He can also chase offstage with ease, which means recovery gimps and spikes. Lots and lots of spikes. His u air strings are nuts! And his smashes are great for KOs! Let's not forget tornado! Any truly skilled MetaKnight main has an advantage over most of the cast unfortunately :(

Who, in your opinion, should be placed last on the SSF2 tier list? Under competitive settings why would this character perform on a lower level than all others?
Sora I'd say. He has good combo ability but little KO power and can SD with an accidental tap of side special. Even when side special is used properly it's totally readable and aside from the shield pressure it's a free punish once blocked. Maybe in beta he'll be better but as for now he's very lack luster in terms of competitive play. He's not too hard to KO in terms of weight, his KO moves have a good amount of endlag and are punishable if missed, and his vertical recovery is pretty bad so any spike means death. The bad far outweighs the good.
If you could make only one change to SSF2 as it currently is, what would it be and why?
I think any change I'd make would be purely for personal gain and should therefore not be made. lol I'll leave the changes up to the devs.

What is your view on items in competitive play?
Um... No.

Do you have or can you download Skype? You don't need a mic or webcam.
Yes.

Why do you want to join the Smash Flash Back Room? What will you contribute? Why are you an exceptional applicant? Be as detailed as possible.
I think the Backroom could use someone like me. Seems to me like it's currently mostly full of experienced players that all generally have the same competitive fundamentals. What about someone like me who has been playing as a random for much of his smash career and built his own fundamentals? I can tell you that just from talking to some of the other forum members, I think about this game much differently than a lot of them. And I'm still doing just fine. I think I could teach people things as well as learn things from everyone else which is the main reason I want to join. I'm always hungry to teach someone or learn something new. I'm an exceptional applicant because I'm willing to openly share ideas from from my point of view, while also accepting and learning from others' points of view. I always want to improve and I think getting into the Backroom is a big step in doing that. In short, I would be gaining more from joining than I would be able to contribute at first; but I'm a quick study and I guarantee if you guys teach me some of the competitive fundamentals you have, combined with the ones I've made for myself, I will absolutely have something to offer this Backroom one day.

Additional information (Include in this section anything relevant to your application. This could include links to videos of yourself playing.) I'm super cool ;) Pick me

Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:17 am
BR Member

MGN Username: TSF|Cookies
Currently Playing: PM, Melee, Ultimate, Hollow Knight
Use the stagelist from below to answer the following questions:

Neutral:
Battlefield
Final Destination/Nintendo 3DS (both stages can be stricken at once)
Smashville
Stadium III
Yoshi's Story

Counterpick:
Warioware
Dreamland
Tower of Salvation (Cannot be played if FD/3DS are stricken)
Castle Siege
Dracula's Castle

1.) What is Bombermans best and worst stage? Why?
2.) Imagine you are at a tournament against a Sora. Both of you wont switch characters. Which strikes would you make, assuming you can strike first, and which stages would be striked by the Sora player?
3.) Using the example form question 2, you lost Game 1 on Battlefield (This is no hint about the correct answer for question No.2!). Assuming that your opponent gives you free choice, what would be your Counterpick and why?

Be detailed in your responses.

Shoutouts to Harr for this sick player card!

Join Chibi Nation, the 20CR Discord for all aspiring Chibi-Robo mains!

Click to expand thumbnail

Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:10 am

Use the stagelist from below to answer the following questions:

Neutral:
Battlefield
Final Destination/Nintendo 3DS (both stages can be stricken at once)
Smashville
Stadium III
Yoshi's Story

Counterpick:
Warioware
Dreamland
Tower of Salvation (Cannot be played if FD/3DS are stricken)
Castle Siege
Dracula's Castle

1.) What is Bombermans best and worst stage? Why?

Best: Probably Smashville. As much as I want to pick my favorite map (ToS), Smahville has 2 major pluses for Bomberman that ToS doesn't offer;

1. If you get a P bomb onto the soft platform, you gain instant stage control for as long as it's there. It deters camping because they see the platform with the bomb coming and they have to run, roll, or shield in place. You make them play YOUR game instead of theirs, simply by this one act of getting a P bomb onto the platform and not popping. Imagine that plus 4 bombs on stage as well.

2. If you recover while pressed against the curved ledge wall, his recovery will slow down enough so that he can sweetspot the ledge nearly every time. Makes returning to stage MUCH harder to punish for them, and making it much easier to counter their attempted punish with my own.
Those things, on top of the fact that he can chase onto the platform for f-air followups/KOs a lot of the time, and that the platform (if time and luck are on your side) can provide an extra recovery option, with his already great stage control and KO ability, this map only adds to his chances of winning.

Worst: Dreamland. I don't like how far spaced the platforms are. It makes spreading bombs harder because there's more space to put them so you have to choose wisely. On top of that the platforms are higher up so they don't deal damage to foes below them as often. Makes BBM rely on his close combat game which can fail in comparison to some characters.

2.) Imagine you are at a tournament against a Sora. Both of you wont switch characters. Which strikes would you make, assuming you can strike first, and which stages would be striked by the Sora player?

I honestly don't understand the stage striking system, never having been exposed to it. Isn't it like I ban 1 then he bans 2 then I ban 1 and we play on the remaining map or something? Regardless, in this case, I can't think of a map where Sora has an inherent advantage. On platforms even though Sora has good chase and followup ability on them, Bomberman can just cover the platforms in small bombs to keep himself safe in case of a possible followup. Having the platforms covered in bombs limits Sora's options and makes him afraid to act. It's half a safety net for Bomber, half a psychological attack on Sora. For this reason, platforms become an even fight, if not in BBM's favor. He also performs well on them naturally. On flat maps, the advantage is entirely BBM's. Bomberman's overall play is a good counter to Sora. All I'd have to do is get the floor covered in bombs and wait to jump over side b and punish. As long a I keep him back far enough to read Flowmotion, and stay out of juggles from utilt/uair, he has a hard time setting up combos and Bomberman is pretty weighty so Sora has trouble killing him early unless he gimps recovery with fsmash. I don't let that happen often. In short, my strikes would be purely preference here. I think the Sora would be smart to ban FD and Smashville. At least on the other maps he'd be able to chase and setup better.

3.) Using the example from question 2, you lost Game 1 on Battlefield (This is no hint about the correct answer for question No.2!). Assuming that your opponent gives you free choice, what would be your Counterpick and why?
I pick ToS for a few reasons. I'm very comfortable on that map, it's one of the best for Bomberman's recovery, and there's less chance of him chasing onto those platforms since they're over the edge and most people like to play it safe. Even if he were chasing me onto the platforms I'd keep bombs there in case so he'd really have to rely on his flatground game which is not good against BBM.
Be detailed in your responses.[/quote]

Sorry if I wasn't detailed enough.

Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:53 am
BR Member

Use the same stagelist as before to answer:

1.) Discuss the Bomberman vs. Sora MU. Be detailed and elaborate general strategies, neutral game, off stage game and edgeguarding as well as possibilities for punishes and similar. Conclude with a +/- ratio (e.g. 60/40 would mean that the MU is in BBMs favor).

Be detailed in your response.

Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:21 pm

Skailler wrote:
Use the same stagelist as before to answer:

1.) Discuss the Bomberman vs. Sora MU. Be detailed and elaborate general strategies, neutral game, off stage game and edgeguarding as well as possibilities for punishes and similar. Conclude with a +/- ratio (e.g. 60/40 would mean that the MU is in BBMs favor).

Be detailed in your response.

For this example, we will be on Smashville. I believe this MU is at least 60/40 if not 70/30. A truly skilled Sora can win, but BBM has the advantage. Assuming we just heard the announcer say GO!;

The first thing I do when playing against any Sora is toss 1 S bomb forward, start charging another bomb until he rushes in, and throw it down before I even take a step. This does a few things;

1. Starts the bomb spreading process early. The earlier they're spread, the sooner you control the stage.

2. In charging, I'm trying to bait Sora to rush in and use Flowmotion to punish me. When I toss the first S bomb then quickly plant a second one down, most people just accept that they can't go to that side of the stage safely. They camp instead of rush. If I cook in his face, he gets the urge to rush in and stop the P bomb. And what's the quickest way to get across the map to punish as Sora? Flowmotion. I just wait for it, drop bomb as he's coming, jump, then pop.

If Sora played into my game and rushed with Flow motion I'd try to hit the P bomb or at least an M bomb followed by a uair to fair followup since bombs setup perfectly for aerials and uair doesn't send opponents too high. Since the game just started, P bomb only has him at 15% max. This means KB doesn't send him too high either. The string sets up perfectly and usually leads to another string if chased.

If Sora managed to get across and hit me before I jumped somehow, assuming my DI can help it, I'd send my self offstage on purpose. I'd try to grab ledge and bait out a bad punish so I can followup with a ledge drop fair or try to jump over him. Since Sora has no spike, Bomber is much safer offstage in this MU vs if he had one. His punish options are limited with no spike. He can try to fsmash when I jump, but fsmash is very quick and he's more likely to miss than hit (however if he does hit BBM is screwed since he has no horizontal recovery at all). He could use dsmash which is a good option to get someone to stop camping directly on the ledge. Dsmash forces BBM to move off and onto ledge, potentially setting up a followup punish for Sora. And it's long lasting hitbox makes a safe return really hard. Then there's u smash. This is the safest option for Sora, assuming BBM tries to go over Sora and jump back onto stage. U smash has a windbox that would stall BBM in air giving Sora the opportunity to go in for an aerial. Sora could also use jab to try to gimp BBM returning to stage or if they're good at spacing could use down special. Most don't go for those options from what I've noticed.

Sora has great juggles and strings in this MU since BBM fastfalls right into his next move. This means Bomber is on the defensive most of the game, trying not to get clipped by a move that will start a combo for Sora. BBM should move around the map constantly planting bombs and playing hit and run with Sora. Don't over extend. Just hit him away and spread bombs all over. That way if he ever tries to use a flowmotion from a distance, you can jump and pop bombs regardless of where he is and still hit. Once Sora is at about 75-80% I'd start going for P bomb KOs. I'd run away from him, charge bomb in his face at a safe distance, when he rushes in for punish, drop bomb, jump and pop. It's a technique I call Bomb Substitution and it works extremely well in this MU because many Soras fully commit to the punish by using Flowmotion. This means they're a sitting duck if they miss.

Assuming Bomber plays it safe against Sora's combo starters, Sora can't rack damage very much since many of his attacks are combo oriented. Sora will be very limited in this MU. Any decent Bomberman will have the advantage.

Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:39 am
BR Member

Thank you for applying to the Back Room! Unfortunately, your app was denied. Feel free to apply again once Beta is out tho.

Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:38 am
 [ 6 posts ]