The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 2:49 pm

[ 393 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next
Black Mage 
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Undertale
Discuss Black Mage specific gameplay here.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:29 am
BR Member

MGN Username: KarmaPilcrow
Currently Playing: the waiting game
Waifu: Furry trash.
First impressions: Haste feels kind of strange this time around due to using Meteor's animation. I don't know if that's intentional or not.

I like the new speed of the attack itself, though.

And the new animation/function on his Super Down Smash makes it a lot easier to plan around this time.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:56 am

Currently Playing: Super Smash Flash 2, TF2, DotA2, etc.
It seems he's recieved a bit of a nerf in the arial department. His down Arial doesn't seem to make him bounce anymore, he still goes straight down.

Mains: Zelda, Chibi Robo, Mario

Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:20 am

MGN Username: Quote
Black Mage seems to be overall worse. Not by too much, but enough to notice. His D-Air doesn't spike as hard on either hit, and he just feels overall more sluggish. At least his D-Throw is a more reliable chaingrab now. I'll have to play with him more for further testing.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:24 pm

Currently Playing: Mario and Luigi: Dream Team; SSF2; Mega Man II, Project M
Poor Black Mage.

Fair got nerfed, haste got nerfed, dair got nerfed. His three best options are now very questionable.

There are some improvements (a lot of them). His ground speed has been improved a lot. Meteor is faster in the air, ftilt is faster and stronger, and dsmash has some use. He still has his powerful options from 9a, with bair and uair strings. I think bair is stronger too.

However, I'm overall disappointed with how he turned out. He's going to be a LOT harder to use. His punish game has really been hit with the nerf hammer, but at least his approaches are easier and he still retains his strong throw game.

SSF2 Online Hitlist: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lU38_PwQ3UcEGLNfA8wdNNj6CSWZNl75Y09n1wL4pGg

Check out my twitter: https://twitter.com/CodeBlueSmash

Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:36 pm
BR Member

Black Mage being nerfed is really confusing to me, because he was already lower-tier...

Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:53 pm
Site Admin

MGN Username: [TSON]
Currently Playing: with myself
Fair is unchanged

Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:16 pm
BR Member

[TSON] wrote:
Fair is unchanged

It's probably affected by the new physics, though.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:24 pm
Site Admin

MGN Username: [TSON]
Currently Playing: with myself
You can still get EZPZ fair -> fair combos...arguably easier tbh since now the entire cast is bigger

Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:28 pm

MGN Username: gEmssbguy13
Currently Playing: Smash Bros, FNaF, Undertale, GMod, Delver, Xenoblade, ect...
.....his nair does about 20% if not DI'd, and it can be combo'ed into multiple times :| Basically a guarenteed 30+% if you can't escape.
Whether this is good or bad, I dunno.
I guess it's good for him, but it seems a bit too much for a character to have at first glance. Especially since (last time I checked) his dthrow does 20%, and it can be chain grabbed.
His dair is really awesome now, I can actually see how to sweetspot the weird ghostwithdagger...thing.
So, great job on him!....right?

Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:50 pm

As someone who's trying to learn black mage, can I get some basic ideas on what his gameplan is? Here's what i've gotten so far-

Stop- useless except for projectile reflection, or if you can get a charge(best time seems to be after KO or maybe a small one at spawn?). I still need to test what sort of punish you can get off common charge levels.

Haste- combo/punish fodder due to the down time.(i'm surprised at how much worse it is this version).

Meteor- seems better in air than on the ground? Great approach/pressure tool in that case, ok zoning on ground?

Teleport- My main thought's were 1. It's awful for recovering against an opponent, but awesome for getting back after aggressive edge guarding. Kinda screwed if you get knocked off, but can really commit to chasing/gimping if you get them. 2. Maybe some mild gimmicks with grounded tp into haste/followup on platform levels.

A/Ftilt/Dtilt/Utilt- all decent spacing tools with significant knockback.

Dsmash- Almost completely worthless? It seems atrocious in basically every category. Am I missing something? New charged form is meh(better, but still meh), since I feel like you're better off just charging a stop.

Fsmash- Pretty bad. The charge seems predictable and takes forever and the regular has tremendous windup for really eh payoff. I

Usmash- The absolute worst supercharge as far as I can tell(i've never figured out a way to land this besides high stop levels), but the normal smash is actually very very good, and seems like his go to kill move.

Nair- surprising damage potential. Good close quarters option.

Fair- feels worse with the new engine, but still easily one of his best options and main combo tools(I think?).

Bair- Another awesome move. Reminds me of pits bair.

Uair- It does what it needs to, but seems kinda meh.

Dair- Feels a LOT worse. Its more in line with other sweet spot moves where if you miss the sweet spot you get very little, but unlike those moves the payoff isn't instant, or even guaranteed. I also have yet to figure out a way to combo into it at all which really hurts. Thankfully the hitbox is huge, but one of my main strats pre b version was chasing and looking for good dair's to kill, or landing a dair into throw to setup the second spike. Neither seems very good now.

Dash- Seems really really bad(and did it get worse in the new patch?)

Throws- Forward was mostly to setup the second dair hit, down seems good, back feels pretty garbage, up might have combo potential, but i've yet to be able to do much.

Combos- i'm having input issues(can't shorthop easily with my current setup for some reason), so I've yet to really find anything outside of stop and shorthop fairs. I'm guessing theres more?

So yeah that's basically my breakdown as is. I feel really awkward because his air game seems to say "get in there" but almost all of his specials are mid/long range tools, and the awful smashes(besides up) doesn't help. Anyone care to share some basic strategy?

Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:01 pm
BR Member

Eji1700 wrote:
As someone who's trying to learn black mage, can I get some basic ideas on what his gameplan is? Here's what i've gotten so far-

Stop- useless except for projectile reflection, or if you can get a charge(best time seems to be after KO or maybe a small one at spawn?). I still need to test what sort of punish you can get off common charge levels.

Do NOT underestimate Stop. Even charge level II is enough to chain into one of his Super Smash attacks.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:59 pm

Saikyoshi wrote:
Eji1700 wrote:

Do NOT underestimate Stop. Even charge level II is enough to chain into one of his Super Smash attacks.

Can I ask how? They seem to get more than enough time to punish on 2. It only seems to combo on 4+.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:08 pm
BR Member

Eji1700 wrote:
Saikyoshi wrote:
Eji1700 wrote:

Can I ask how? They seem to get more than enough time to punish on 2. It only seems to combo on 4+.

Huh... It must've changed between versions :sweat:

But making a charge when the opponent is recovering or dying is still very practical. Sometimes one shot is all you need.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:13 pm

Eji1700 wrote:

Stop can be great if used right, i'm assuming that you know how to keep it charged up (shield out at around 4 because that's just enough time to charge a smash), I just wish it froze projectiles like it did in the last version. After charging, just rack up some damage, knock them away, run at them and SH while they're on the ground, time the stop correctly, full Fsmash-> Sspec/Dthrow,(if Dthrow) Sspec-> and finish with a Dspec. If done correctly it's a 0 to 85%. After that, Black mage is a phenomenal edge guarder so just release his arsenal of projectiles

Haste- combo/punish fodder due to the down time.(i'm surprised at how much worse it is this version).

It's also an ok ledge guarder, again better in the last demo with the dash Sspec where the momentum would just send them flying if they were in the air, but to be honest that was pretty cheap

Meteor- seems better in air than on the ground? Great approach/pressure tool in that case, ok zoning on ground?

Yeah, putting pressure with the jumping meteor is great, but they might expect it after a while so mix it up now and again. With the speed it charges up now the ground meteor is now more a viable option than it was in the past. Also don't aim for the person, aim for the spot in front of them. You do this so they can't PS you and the explosion hits them in the blast radius. I'm pretty happy with the new meteor, except the fact that when it rises up it no longer has a hitbox until you let it go

Teleport- My main thought's were 1. It's awful for recovering against an opponent, but awesome for getting back after aggressive edge guarding. Kinda screwed if you get knocked off, but can really commit to chasing/gimping if you get them. 2. Maybe some mild gimmicks with grounded tp into haste/followup on platform levels.

I know it's predictable and easily gimped but I've survived over 200% on multiple occasions because of it's range.

A/Ftilt/Dtilt/Utilt- all decent spacing tools with significant knockback.

I agree with U/Ftilt but I don't really bother with A or Dtilt, I just never found a use for them

Dsmash- Almost completely worthless? It seems atrocious in basically every category. Am I missing something? New charged form is meh(better, but still meh), since I feel like you're better off just charging a stop.

I don't often use it but, it can be used to hit someone whose on the ledge, then once they're in the air, follow up with a Usmash or Utilt

Fsmash- Pretty bad. The charge seems predictable and takes forever and the regular has tremendous windup for really eh payoff. I

Fsmash is probably his best way of finishing someone now since his dash has been nurfed. It's awkward arc hitbox makes it perfect to hit someone on the ledge without really risking getting hurt and if they do a ledge attack the smash remains for a while and hits them before they hit you. It is also a double edge sword though because it last a long time, and if you miss, well you're definitely getting hurt.

Usmash- The absolute worst supercharge as far as I can tell(i've never figured out a way to land this besides high stop levels), but the normal smash is actually very very good, and seems like his go to kill move.

I agree with all this. It has to be a very niche situation to use a full Usmash, like someone is trying to recover and you do the Usmash to pull them in. You can dash and do a sliding Usmash, as well as Utilt, for a bit of maneuverability

Nair- surprising damage potential. Good close quarters option.

SH into a Nair is great, pulls them in, surrounds the character, and after it's done can be grabbed right after

Fair- feels worse with the new engine, but still easily one of his best options and main combo tools(I think?).

Feels fine to me, pseudo-wavedash still works so i'm fine. also to pseudo-wavedash you SH and then Fair just before you hit the ground

Bair- Another awesome move. Reminds me of pits bair.

Nothing to say here

Uair- It does what it needs to, but seems kinda meh.

It's great for juggles

Dair- Feels a LOT worse. Its more in line with other sweet spot moves where if you miss the sweet spot you get very little, but unlike those moves the payoff isn't instant, or even guaranteed. I also have yet to figure out a way to combo into it at all which really hurts. Thankfully the hitbox is huge, but one of my main strats pre b version was chasing and looking for good dair's to kill, or landing a dair into throw to setup the second spike. Neither seems very good now.

Yeah it lost a lot of it's kill power but to me it feels easier to get death with the longer reach

Dash- Seems really really bad(and did it get worse in the new patch?)

It's like you said, really really bad, at least in this demo. the only reason to use it last demo was because if it hit the knockback was amazing, but now it has so little knockback that, with combined with all that ending lag, it's just not worth it when they only went like 3 feet and then immediately punish you

Throws- Forward was mostly to setup the second dair hit, down seems good, back feels pretty garbage, up might have combo potential, but i've yet to be able to do much.

Fthrow is fine, Dthrow is great and can be chaingrabbed, I don't really use Uthrow or Bthrow

Combos- i'm having input issues(can't shorthop easily with my current setup for some reason), so I've yet to really find anything outside of stop and shorthop fairs. I'm guessing theres more?

Well, as with the Stop one i mentioned, I also use this combo: Dthrow-> SH Nair-> Utilt-> Usmash-> Fair/Bair/Uair-> Dspec, which if done right it should deal 71%-85%

Hopefully those 2 combos are enough for you

You probably already knew the charge Stop and Pseudo-Wavedash anyways but hopefully this helps

Also if anyone else wants to offer some BM tips, tricks, and combos i'd gladly appreciate it too, always looking to improve

Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:18 pm
 [ 393 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next