The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 1:05 am

Forum rules

DO NOT POST YOUR OWN UNFINISHED GAMES YOU'VE CREATED HERE!

To post about your own projects go here: viewforum.php?f=41

[ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
[MP] Soul Calibur V 
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Undertale
Did you read anything past the first sentance?

Regardless, I respect your opinion, but at leas make it an educated one. Play it yourself.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:38 pm
Site Admin

Only thing I like about SCV is the Character Creation, but even that feels more limited then SCIV's to me. The combat on the other hand... It seems like they don't want you to combo like you could in the previous SCs. The story... I couldn't pay attention due to how boring it was honestly. The final Nightmare fight was the biggest s***. Ever. Nightmare knocks me down, I lose. So, f*** that. Some of the new Characters actually suck, and 3 Copy Characters is super lazy imo. Also, Xemnas being the announcer is just hilarious.

Honestly, this Soul Calibur was a letdown to me. I prefer all of the previous SCs over this one.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:28 pm

Currently Playing: UNIST
Ramsey wrote:
Did you read anything past the first sentance?

Regardless, I respect your opinion, but at leas make it an educated one. Play it yourself.

Yeah, I read it, but didn't have anything to say as I never stated my own opinion. Just merely went off of what other people said. Kind of like "I heard this, is it true?"
I might try it considering y'all actually showed it had a good side, but I have other games that come before it, so it might be a while.

Oh, and basically, the reviews I saw were just like Zero's post above mine.

Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:03 am
YIM
Site Moderator

Currently Playing: FFXIV
Waifu: you get ONE guess
Natsu seems pretty cool so I'll probably main her once I actually get this.
Tira is awesome too, hope she plays like she did in SCIV.

Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:18 am

MGN Username: Nixter
Currently Playing: Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Ramsey wrote:
Nixter wrote:
The story was added last second, and the pictures they put in are not exactly quality grade A pictures... Generic story, generic dialogue, creepy brother sister almost insist, but they have Ezio! Actually the only thing they did good was combat. Although it is not for the defensive players, it punishes you to take it slow, you must fight fight fight. All the damn time.

You've got to be kidding me.

First of all, who buys a fighting game for the story? Maybe other than blazblue. The story was fine. It introduces all of the newer characters to you so you don't feel lost, and the buildup to the end fight was great. The brother sister character development was wonderful. And if by 'pictures' you mean the artwork, then you're undermining what was probably hundreds and hundreds of hours of work. Each piece retains the quality of the last, an they were nice to look at. Not to mention the cutscenes.

Of course the combat is the focal point. And no, you're wrong again. They gave defensive players a huge buff this game, with having chances to break combos and whatnot. They even added defensive style characters, like Viola.

Jesus.

Actually, some people enjoy a good story.

The introduce like 5 new characters in 3 seconds at one point, you barely get to know them.

They stared into each others eyes alot... Much like those other anime couples in other s***, it's a bit creepy... But maybe that's just preference.

They didn't even have proper transactions...

They are very good, but too few.

Um... The combo breakers carry over to the next round, effectively punishing those who like guarding and whatnot.

Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:20 am

MGN Username: Nixter
Currently Playing: Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Ramsey wrote:
Nixter wrote:
The story was added last second, and the pictures they put in are not exactly quality grade A pictures... Generic story, generic dialogue, creepy brother sister almost insist, but they have Ezio! Actually the only thing they did good was combat. Although it is not for the defensive players, it punishes you to take it slow, you must fight fight fight. All the damn time.

You've got to be kidding me.

First of all, who buys a fighting game for the story? Maybe other than blazblue. The story was fine. It introduces all of the newer characters to you so you don't feel lost, and the buildup to the end fight was great. The brother sister character development was wonderful. And if by 'pictures' you mean the artwork, then you're undermining what was probably hundreds and hundreds of hours of work. Each piece retains the quality of the last, an they were nice to look at. Not to mention the cutscenes.

Of course the combat is the focal point. And no, you're wrong again. They gave defensive players a huge buff this game, with having chances to break combos and whatnot. They even added defensive style characters, like Viola.

Jesus.

Actually, some people enjoy a good story.

The introduce like 5 new characters in 3 seconds at one point, you barely get to know them.

They stared into each others eyes alot... Much like those other anime couples in other s***, it's a bit creepy... But maybe that's just preference.

They didn't even have proper transactions...

They are very good, but too few.

Um... The combo breakers carry over to the next round, effectively punishing those who like guarding and whatnot.

Don't get me wrong, this game is fun, but these are just the flaws...

Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:20 am

Buying a fighting game for it's story is like buying a mario game for it's story.

Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:20 pm

Believeblood wrote:
Buying a fighting game for it's story is like buying a mario game for it's story.

Like, OMG did you see the part where he hopped into that painting! That was such an amazing plot twist, hopping into paintings! Especially when they teleport you to, like, other worlds, right? And, like, that was amazing how you get, like, stars so you can go into other paintings!

SARCASM DRIVE OVERLOADING

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:24 pm

Ramsey wrote:
The story wa fine. It introduces all of the newer characters to you so you don't feel lost, and the buildup to the end fight was great. The brother sister character development was wonderful. And if by 'pictures' you mean the artwork, then you're undermining what was probably hundreds and hundreds of hours of work. Each piece retains the quality of the last, an they were nice to look at. Not to mention the cutscenes.

Jesus.

Are you serious? The story focuses on what, two characters while completely ignoring everyone else. Patroklos and Pyrrha are the only characters with any story to them whereas everyone else's presence is completely tacked on and that's if they were even included. The new characters have no backstory whatsoever and the game itself doesn't explain why everyone is here. When you combine that with the story mode's 90-minute length (and that's including cutscenes) and the fact that it forces you to play as the single most unlikable character in fighting game history for its vast majority, it's a freaking insult.

The single player mode fails miserably, but I won't deny that Soul Calibur V is a great fighting game. It's just only worthwhile when you're playing online or against friends.

Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:12 pm
Site Admin

Yes, that's exactly why any fighting game is worthwhile. To completely debunk the entirety of the game due to story mode being 'lack-luster', but not completely terrible (which is what most of the reviews did) is, yes, a freaking insult.

It's an alright story mode by fighting game standards, not by anything else. If we were comparing to something like the Final Fantasy series, then I would completely understand where you're coming from. Most fighting games, unless developed by Atlas typically, don't have a story -at all-, other than Arcade Endings. Soul Calibur V went ahead and made that short story mode to attempt and explain at least partially, what is going on. It focused on Patrokolos, and Pyrrha, but also touched on Z.W.E.I, Viola, Xiba, Natsu and Lexia. A That's literally all of the new new characters, excluding Aeon and the guest characters. While it didn't explain their back-story, they were still introduced. That's key. Not to mention the veterans popping up in the story, like Ivy, Nightmare and Tira.

Don't get me wrong, I would have liked to have seen it fleshed out a bit more, but it is absolutely NO reason to debunk the game in it's entirety.

Zero Insanity wrote:
Only thing I like about SCV is the Character Creation, but even that feels more limited then SCIV's to me. The combat on the other hand... It seems like they don't want you to combo like you could in the previous SCs. The story... I couldn't pay attention due to how boring it was honestly. The final Nightmare fight was the biggest s***. Ever. Nightmare knocks me down, I lose. So, f*** that. Some of the new Characters actually suck, and 3 Copy Characters is super lazy imo. Also, Xemnas being the announcer is just hilarious.

Honestly, this Soul Calibur was a letdown to me. I prefer all of the previous SCs over this one.

It feels more limited at first, I'll give you that, but going through arcade with the characters, and the other various modes, unlocks a plethora of items and equipment for the mode.

I found the engine to be more polished, and allows for more creative thinking and opportunities to link different moves together, that you wouldn't think of. Including the Special Attacks. Maybe you just don't have a hang for it yet? Play Arcade on the hardest difficulty. I'm sure those CPUs would argue with you about combo ability.

...lol. I mean, of course you have to expect the later fights to be much harder than the earlier ones. Also, Nightmare isn't the last fight. It's Elysium.

Can you define whom, exactly? I mean, I've played and experimented with all of them, and they all seem to be balanced and full of different opportunities. Especially Natsu and Xiba.

I find the three copy characters to be a good idea, for a few reasons. In the past, it's only been one copy character per game (at least since SCII onward. Charade, Olcadan, etc.). It was very... limited, and unexpected. There is a huge difference between each male and female in the game. Elysium, Edge Master, and Kilik are the mimic characters for Soul Calibur V.

Kilik: Kilik becoming a mimic character (male) makes incredible sense, canonically. If you follow the back story of Soul Calibur, you'd know that he trains incredibly closely with Edge Master. In the gap between Soul Calibur four and five, he gives up his Kali-Yuga to Xiba to protect his soul. Since then, he was with Edge Master, training under him. Naturally, he'd learn from him. He's not as powerful as him, and thus doesn't have control over all of the styles. (which translates to: he can only use the male styles in game).

Edge Master: As his name foretells, he's the boss man. He's capable of wielding all weapons, as his character shows in game. He's capable of mimicking any character. His Critical Finish is also the same as the characters, whereas Kilik and Elysium have their own. Again, makes incredible sense canonically.

Elysium: She's important to the story. Soul Edge -> Nightmare, Soul Calibur -> Elysium. She's more or less the spirit of the Soul Calibur. She's said to be genderless, but since Patrokolos remembers his mother when taking up his normal fighting style (pre-alpha) that's the form it became, in order to persuade him to take out Pyrrah. Since she is the spirit of the blade ( the blade that changes according to those chosen to hold it [!]) her fighting style changes, which is why she is a mimic character. To balance it out, she only mimics female characters (also partly to do with her female body shape being more fitting).

The only complaints I had about the game, were those custom fighting styles being absent still (the ones from SCIII, like dancer <3), and how easy critical finishes are to input for each character. Then again, as you can probably tell, I'm a huge fan of the series. That was probably added to make the game more user friendly.

tl;dr; the game is pretty damn good, if you give it a chance. Don't give up on it after two hours, and make sure you have others to play with.

Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:26 pm

Ramsey wrote:
Yes, that's exactly why any fighting game is worthwhile. To completely debunk the entirety of the game due to story mode being 'lack-luster', but not completely terrible (which is what most of the reviews did) is, yes, a freaking insult.

It's an alright story mode by fighting game standards, not by anything else. If we were comparing to something like the Final Fantasy series, then I would completely understand where you're coming from. Most fighting games, unless developed by Atlas typically, don't have a story -at all-, other than Arcade Endings. Soul Calibur V went ahead and made that short story mode to attempt and explain at least partially, what is going on. It focused on Patrokolos, and Pyrrha, but also touched on Z.W.E.I, Viola, Xiba, Natsu and Lexia. A That's literally all of the new new characters, excluding Aeon and the guest characters. While it didn't explain their back-story, they were still introduced. That's key. Not to mention the veterans popping up in the story, like Ivy, Nightmare and Tira.

Don't get me wrong, I would have liked to have seen it fleshed out a bit more, but it is absolutely NO reason to debunk the game in it's entirety.

True but the story really is atrocious. 90 minutes is an insult compared to other fighting games with full story modes (such as Mortal Kombat 2011 and Calamity Trigger) and the plot itself is awful. Furthermore, as I said before, forcing the player to play as who is hands-down the most unlikable character in fighting game history is like rubbing salt in the wound. Patroklos is nothing more than a common murderer who kills innocent citizens assuming that they're "malfested". He also has VERY serious delusions of righteousness. I'm talking LIGHT YAGAMI delusions of righteousness. He's an a****** who would throw his own family away if it meant accomplishing his goals.

People are calling him a "douchebag-turned-hero" but I don't buy that at all. Patroklos never does anything to make you want to root for him and the main theme with douchebads-turned-heroes is that they eventually realize the error of their ways and work to better themselves. Throughout the story, not once does Patroklos admit responsibility for his past sins. It's an insult that this common murderer was chosen to be Soul Calibur's new weilder. I hate this f*** with a burning passion; I hate him even more than I hate Naruto—and that's saying a lot.

And arcade mode... no character intros or endings? SERIOUSLY? It's total bunk and makes no sense since every prior game in the Soul Series had character intros and outros.

So yeah, This game is very lucky that the fighting itself is so great because its single-player modes are absolute garbage with literally zero replay value.

Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:52 pm
Site Admin

Well, alright. To each their own, I suppose.

Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:57 pm

D-Block wrote:
I'm talking LIGHT YAGAMI delusions of righteousness. He's an a****** who would throw his own family away if it meant accomplishing his goals.

That's who he reminded me of! Yeah, in spite of enjoying this game, I will be the first to admit, I really hate our new hero. Particularly as the successor to Siegfried as Soul Calibur's wielder.

I mean, yeah, Siegfried can't go on forever and since pretty much the entire plot depicts him as the protagonist he was getting kind of dull... But... At least I gave a s*** whenever he fought Nightmare. When Soul Calibur 3 was first confirmed and they were going to be seperate characters in continuity, I could not have been more excited. And now... Man, our new Greek chump has nothing on our old hero.

I do still really enjoy the game and this is one of my only problems with it, but he just feels so hateable...

Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:10 pm

Currently Playing: UNIST
Death'saWoopingRiot wrote:
D-Block wrote:
I'm talking LIGHT YAGAMI delusions of righteousness. He's an a****** who would throw his own family away if it meant accomplishing his goals.

That's who he reminded me of! Yeah, in spite of enjoying this game, I will be the first to admit, I really hate our new hero. Particularly as the successor to Siegfried as Soul Calibur's wielder.

I mean, yeah, Siegfried can't go on forever and since pretty much the entire plot depicts him as the protagonist he was getting kind of dull... But... At least I gave a s*** whenever he fought Nightmare. When Soul Calibur 3 was first confirmed and they were going to be seperate characters in continuity, I could not have been more excited. And now... Man, our new Greek chump has nothing on our old hero.

I do still really enjoy the game and this is one of my only problems with it, but he just feels so hateable...

Wait, so the main character was like Light but in an unlikable way?

Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:56 pm
YIM

Misaki Mei wrote:
Death'saWoopingRiot wrote:
D-Block wrote:

Wait, so the main character was like Light but in an unlikable way?

When I say he's just like Light Yagami, I mean that in the sense that he's actually an evil nutjob who honestly believes that his methods are righteous. To both of these characters, the end justifies the means regardless of how deplorable those means are.

Both characters are nothing more than common murderers who have deluded themselves into thinking that their cause is righteous.

Also, for the record: Light Yagami was never a likable character.

Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:11 pm
 [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next