The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 8:38 pm

Forum rules

DO NOT POST YOUR OWN UNFINISHED GAMES YOU'VE CREATED HERE!

To post about your own projects go here: viewforum.php?f=41

[ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next
Amiibo 
Site Moderator

Waifu: ElvisDitto
Term wrote:
pay to win in a single player game is trashy but I don't think it's really an awful thing since it only hurts the experience of that one player. Like, if you're dumb enough to buy the figure just for that then be my guest

My only issue with the figures being like DLC is the availability

If Nintendo continues dropping the ball with the future Amiibos like they have the first two sets, f***' nobody outside of a handful of dedicated Internet nerds will ever get to experience the Steam/Fire Emblem thing

I know they're new to really widespread toy distribution but goddammit if they're gonna do this they need to figure out how to make enough figures to meet demand, you know?

Well for starters they already have new Marths coming in because he'll be a relevant amiibo soooo

The reason why we won't get more Villager or Wii Fit Trainer Amiibos is probably only due to the fact that there isn't any Amiibo support planned for them. Outside of Smash, of course.

(you can now tweet mean things at me on Twitter @StevenEggplant)

Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:46 pm

MGN Username: Tid
Currently Playing: Deep™ The™ Game™
no, they've talked about this. the amiibos will eventually all go out of print but they're going to release cards that have the amiibo chips inside of them that work the same. so the amiibos will be collectable but the functionality will be available for everyone for the forseeable future.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:47 pm
Site Moderator

"We're not making promises for certain figures, but the way "amiibo" is designed is that certain games can have "amiibo" specifically for that game. Other games can take advantage of past "amiibo" that developers want to make their game compatible with. In the future, we have the option, if certain "amiibo" figures are no longer available in stores, to release an "amiibo" in card form with the same functionality."

-not making promises
-'we can' not neccesarily 'we will'

I mean yeah obviously some of the lesser important Smashers will go out of stock, but I can't imagine that they plan to sustain production of cards for Amiibos only for Smash for extended periods of time. I do think that they might release cards for Wii Fit or Villager but it seems to me like everyone who actually wanted their amiibos largely got them, and that there won't be many interested in uying cards only for the sake of Smash's Amiibo compatibility. So basically, I personally wouldn't count on the cards being the long time solution. I doubt that there will be enough demand for them to keep being produced. They will be produced, but may go out of stock as well sooner than we'd think. Even if the cards are cheaper to produce I don't think it'd be really lucrative from a business point of view to keep up production of Villager cards for extended amount of time.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:56 pm
Site Moderator

Waifu: Trollbean
Steven wrote:
it seems to me like everyone who actually wanted their amiibos largely got them
Can't disagree more. Villager/Marth/Wii Fit sold out quicker than anybody expected and haven't popped back up since to my knowledge, wave 2 had no solid release date and everybody (even the retailers) had no idea what the hell was going on with those (toys r us up and cancelled thousands of orders, including my own), and wave 3 is out of stock everywhere right now with again no information available (I called Gamestop and Best Buy about them -- both told me they had no idea when the release would be, if they'd be taking pre-orders again, whether they would get any in the stores, if the ones they got in store would be pre-order only, etc)

Not to mention that releasing such a large amount of products in such a short amount of time makes it likely that people won't be able to get the ones they want immediately due to finances, and the way these things have been handled so far if you don't get it immediately you might not get it at all

Also it's purely anecdote but I've checked a few different stores and I've never seen any Amiibo other than Mario, Peach, DK, Yoshi, Link, Pikachu and rarely Samus or Fox in stock

The whole thing's been kind of a mess so far. Beyond the AAA-list characters, finding one for original price is a damn fight

It's not like these are some huge retired collector's items either, they've not even been out 3 months

Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:53 pm

MGN Username: Shaske
Currently Playing: smesh tri dee essu
Nintento is underestimating its own fanbase

Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:27 pm

Currently Playing: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Waifu: Mina Ashido
So I got a Captain Falcon from a friend, and a Little Mac arrived in the mail. So awesome.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:50 am
Site Moderator

Term wrote:
Steven wrote:
Can't disagree more. Villager/Marth/Wii Fit sold out quicker than anybody expected and haven't popped back up since to my knowledge, wave 2 had no solid release date and everybody (even the retailers) had no idea what the hell was going on with those (toys r us up and cancelled thousands of orders, including my own), and wave 3 is out of stock everywhere right now with again no information available (I called Gamestop and Best Buy about them -- both told me they had no idea when the release would be, if they'd be taking pre-orders again, whether they would get any in the stores, if the ones they got in store would be pre-order only, etc)

Not to mention that releasing such a large amount of products in such a short amount of time makes it likely that people won't be able to get the ones they want immediately due to finances, and the way these things have been handled so far if you don't get it immediately you might not get it at all

Also it's purely anecdote but I've checked a few different stores and I've never seen any Amiibo other than Mario, Peach, DK, Yoshi, Link, Pikachu and rarely Samus or Fox in stock

The whole thing's been kind of a mess so far. Beyond the AAA-list characters, finding one for original price is a damn fight

It's not like these are some huge retired collector's items either, they've not even been out 3 months

So far, I haven't had any issues with Amiibo stock myself- I have been able to get the characters I wanted (plus Marth) offline without much trouble. Most stores here have enough Samus and Fox Amiibos stocked up and apparently there are a lot of guys my age here who collect them because everytime I went to get Amiibos I ran into fellow Smashers haha. Some Amiibo prices are increasing though, like you can get Mario for 15 euro but Zelda is already 20 euro.

I definetly agree with you that so far the Amiibo platform has been kind of messy with cancelled pre-orders, low stock etc. though, but I think that since the Amiibo series really took off Nintendo will actively work on resolving these types of issues with future launches. Like Shaske said I think they genuinely might have underestimated the demand.

KeybladePON-3 wrote:
So I got a Captain Falcon from a friend, and a Little Mac arrived in the mail. So awesome.

Thats nice of him. Care to share a pic of your collection if you want?

Kinda curious, after Smash Bros. and Super Mario, what line of Amiibo do you hope Nintendo will launch/announce next?

Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:28 am

Currently Playing: UNIST
s-saki amamiya.............

and pokemon
and fire emblem

Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:32 am
YIM
Site Moderator

Waifu: Trollbean
Pokemon most likely

Also to contribute to the stock discussion, this is my local Walmart's supply as of this morning

Not even a Mario in sight

Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:22 am

MGN Username: Lisnovski1
Currently Playing: Super Smash Flash 2 Beta
Waifu: Myself
Term wrote:
Pokemon most likely

Also to contribute to the stock discussion, this is my local Walmart's supply as of this morning

[ Image ]

They sell Mario Blocks?

Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:32 pm

Lisnovski wrote:
Term wrote:
Pokemon most likely

[ Image ]

They sell Mario Blocks?

they're amiibo holders

Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:43 pm

Currently Playing: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Waifu: Mina Ashido
Steven wrote:
Term wrote:
Steven wrote:

So far, I haven't had any issues with Amiibo stock myself- I have been able to get the characters I wanted (plus Marth) offline without much trouble. Most stores here have enough Samus and Fox Amiibos stocked up and apparently there are a lot of guys my age here who collect them because everytime I went to get Amiibos I ran into fellow Smashers haha. Some Amiibo prices are increasing though, like you can get Mario for 15 euro but Zelda is already 20 euro.

I definetly agree with you that so far the Amiibo platform has been kind of messy with cancelled pre-orders, low stock etc. though, but I think that since the Amiibo series really took off Nintendo will actively work on resolving these types of issues with future launches. Like Shaske said I think they genuinely might have underestimated the demand.

KeybladePON-3 wrote:

Thats nice of him. Care to share a pic of your collection if you want?

Kinda curious, after Smash Bros. and Super Mario, what line of Amiibo do you hope Nintendo will launch/announce next?

yeah, sure thing. Don't got Mac just yet, a friend is supposed to be picking him up from the mail for me.

But here's the rest.

I hope they release Animal Crossing next. A Villager re-release and Tom Nook.

Attachments:
WIN_20150121_211846.JPG
WIN_20150121_211846.JPG [ 221.93 KiB | Viewed 1632 times ]

Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:14 pm

MGN Username: Lisnovski1
Currently Playing: Super Smash Flash 2 Beta
Waifu: Myself
"KILL ME!"

Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:56 am
Site Moderator

JESUS CHRIST

why would somebody do that??!

Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:53 pm

MGN Username: Droe747
Currently Playing: Phoenix Wright Trilogy and Smash Ultimate sometimes.
Term wrote:
Pokemon most likely

[ Image ]

Atleast you have a SAMUS in sight. Still lookin for that one....
Cries

<3

Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:01 pm
 [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next